Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen GTI Tire & Wheel Problems

2»

Comments

• I appreciate your response very much. Thank you. Any recommendation on new tires to consider? We'll be using 225/40/18s. Quiet is first priority.

Thanks again.

Dok
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    I think the only three tires that meet your criteria currently on the market in the 224/40 R18 size are as follows (in order of my personal bias/preference):

Yokohama Advan S.4. -- $180
    Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position -- $167
    Michelin Pilot Sport A/S -- $206

The above said, I'd move the Michelin entry to the top of the list if I needed to drive in winter conditions (I do and those are the tires currently on my car).

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • ahmedahmed Posts: 9
    When the tire store required a 2.5 hours wait to back off the studs and put on my new wheels, I went to a junkyard and bought a 3-ft pipe that snugged onto my wrench, then went home and easily removed those wheels, brushed the grit off the stud bolts, wrote some graphite into the threads with a no. 2 pencil, put on the new smaller wheels with narrow snow tires, and torqued them down to the max with the factory wrench expecting I'd just put 90 ft lbs or so on them on 12/12.
    Yesterday, on 12/17, I heard a rumbling, pulled over, and found the lugs were coming off. I put the car up on the jack (in freezing cold), used my 3-ft wrench extension, and torqued the lugs to more than before.
    I'll check them again and hope those stud bolts will stay in, but seems to me there's something wrong with VW supplying a wrench that won't take off a lug when there's a flat or need to change, and won't torque the wheel tight enough. I live in the northeast and travel to the mountains in winter, so can't afford flighty tools and instructions.
  • The 2010 GTI, both four door and two door, offers the optional Detroit 18 inch wheels with a so-called "summer tire" option. This is compared to the same wheels with the all-weather performance tires. The summer tires option costs more than the all-weather performance tires. I'm interested in the summer tires option (the car would not be in snow or freezing weather often if at all), but none of the dealers quite now what tires that option comes with. Has anyone purchased the summer tire option or does anyone know what brand and model "summer tire" that option comes with?
    If you won't be in wintry weather it seems to me it hardly matters whether "summer" or all-season tires unless the "summer" tires ride more quietly on dry pavement. If you're not in the desert, though, you might want an all-season tread in times of heavy rain.
    Here in the north, I found it necessary to downsize the drive wheels and put on soft-rubber snow tires, which are seeming to work well in snow.
    Someone else should know more than me about what a summer tire is.
  • I'm debating if I should get 18" wheels. I don't know much about tires and I'm looking for advice or your personal experiences. I have the following questions.

1) Are all 18" tires low profile?

2) Are 17" tires more pothole friendly?

3) What is the fastest land mammal? :P (Airplane II)

Thanks much
    1q) Are all 18" tires low profile?

1a) No, but in the size that properly fits the GTI, yes, they're low profile.

2q) Are 17" tires more pothole friendly?

2a) Assuming the identical outer diameter of rubber, yes.

I'll leave question 3 for others to answer. :P
    I received this message but am not sure how it refers to my posts, so let me say that my 2.0 GTI came with 17-in. wheels that are too wide for snow or ice, so I bought an extra pair of 16-in. wheels and fitted them with soft-rubber snow tires for winter and they work well with the disc brakes and have gotten me through all kinds of snow, ice, crud, mud in the Northeast mountains this winter. I'll switch back to my 17-in. wheels in the next few weeks after threat of cold weather.
    Uhhh, you have me at a loss, I rather thought I was responding to a post by nightmancometh. ;)

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • upstatedocupstatedoc Posts: 710
    Cheetah? That's what my 4 year old's answer was.
  • dokmokdokmok Posts: 3
    1). Mine are 18" and low profile. I think that all 18" for the GTI are low profile.
    2). I would imagine that 17" tires are more pothole friendly. They are generally smoother riding, as well, not as "sporty." My car came with 18" (2007 Farhenheit). If I had it to do again, I'd go with 17" tires. This is simply personal preference.
    3.) Cheetah! :)
    My '08 GTI came w/ the standard 17" rims and I was still bobbing and weeving around any road imperfections, I think I remember one member say they were trading in their 18"s for the 17"s because of the ride.
  • I have an 09 GTI with the Dunlop SP tires too. Right now 3 out of 4 tires have bubbles. I'm regretting this car... I'm in Boston and we have potholes too. But my last car was an Infiniti and I drove in all the same places and NEVER had a tire bubble.
    It isn't the brand if car, or for that matter the brand of the tire you have on that car, it's simply a matter of the height of the side wall. I assume your car has 18" wheels on it; if I'm correct then all you have to do is to reduce the wheel size to 17" and put higher aspect ratio tires on those new rims to keep the diameter of the tires the same.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,914
    Yep, low-profile tires may look great, but aren't very practical in a LOT of places.

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• perunestperunest Posts: 42
    3. Over a long distance it's the Alaskan Husky, which can run for many hours at a time, consumes 10,000 calories a day and completes the 1,150 mile Iditerod in about 9 days.
    Uhhh... What? :confuse:
    In reply to the fastest land mammal from a few months ago. ;)
  • Understood :) The fastest land animal joke was from the movie Airplane II. I'm really showing my age.

From the looks of the past messages, I'm going to go for the 17" wheels due to the feedback from all of you. Thanks for making my decision wise and practical.
  • perunestperunest Posts: 42
    The 2011 GTI will come with 18" wheels as standard. Also with a better Bluetooth that stores your cell phone address book.
  • pgo1pgo1 Posts: 9
    Will VW dealers be willing to swap the stock 18" wheels on the 2011 GTI for 17" wheels? I will likely be leasing, so selling the 18s myself is not an option. Is VW offering 17" wheels as an option. 18s seem extreme as the stock tire, especially in the North East.
    Yes, 17" wheels are an option, but not necessarily a cheap option. Some dealers might do a swap, some might not; can't hurt to ask.
  • nano11nano11 Posts: 2
    Has anyone gone up one notch in aspect ratio on their 18 inch wheels: from 40 to 45? Lot's of discussion about 17 v. 18 wheels, but not about making the tire a bit fatter.
    Moving from an aspect ratio of 40 to 45 will NOT make the tires "fatter", what it will do is make them "taller" thus introducing speedometer error. Said another way, by moving from 225/40 R18 to 225/45 R18 the width doesn't change one wit, but the outer diameter moves from 25.09" to 25.97", a fairly significant jump.

If you want to make your tires "fatter" what you'll need to do is choose a tire that is both wider and has the same outside diameter such as 255/35 R18. The problem here is that the tires may be too "fat" to work without significant rubbing inside your wheel wells; that and these tires also require a wheel that is at least 8.5" wide, wider (I believe) than the OEM wheels on the GTI.
  • nano11nano11 Posts: 2
    You are correct: I should have said "taller" rather than "fatter." Objective would be to increase aspect ratio to make the 18's ride a bit smoother, deal with potholes, etc., without buying new set of wheels. Understood that change in diameter makes difference in speedo accuracy, but that is not a big deal.
  • Yes I did it yesterday. 225/40/R18 92 H to 225/45/R18 91 W. Obvious it had a lil bit bulky face for the detriot alloy but only GTI experts notice that I guess. Driving -- It was pouring down all day yesterday and I drove around 275+ miles. Observations -- Def the ride was less jarring than 224/40. How much less is 40-60% I would say. The jiggling and throwing inside the car was reduced a lot. Please note it was not smooth like a Altima though but had a significant improvement. Next I-485 south with flexed metal roads --- def improvement. Before I was being beaten up driving this highway. But yesterday it was improved, by how much 3-45% I would say. I had Sumitomo tires and they are a good bite on this down pouring rainy roads yesterday. Improved confidence. From cornering not much difference, though for me there is a 10-15% LESS punch in extreme corners. Also I see that I miss a little bit of turbo punch feel though the speed and gear shifts are same and absolutely no difference. To consolidate, I am seeing an improved ride quality with a small miss on the punch. And the car now feels weightless at corners and absolutely no missing traction or control. Overall I am being satisfied with the 275+ miles of extreme rain day driving. I am monitoring this for another 2 weeks before deciding to change the rims from 18s to 17s and got for a 225/45/R17 Michelins.

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,914

All makes sense as that larger aspect ratio gives you more sidewall and more "cushion" so to speak.

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

2»