Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Sprinter Engine Problems

Comments

• Thank you so much for your reply. I am beginning to think the sprinters are duds too. I didn't have any problems the first three years I owned it though. I was happy with it, now......NOT.
  • chelochelo Posts: 2
    HI , i have a 2003 -3500 dodge sprinter witch I need help with, after a couple crankshaft sensor replacement ,due to a broken fly wheel this van has not stopped giving me problems. I put a rebuild turbo thinking that may be the problem of the black smoke and power issues, but nothing. I replace the air mass sensor and nothing , some one told me that it may be out of point position. would someone know what can it be. I have this van parked in my house and still making monthly payments
  • There are many reasons why you may have black smoke & a lack of power. After looking at what you have already tried. Here are some things that come to mind. If van idles rough better take a look at the injectors, one could be leaking inside. If this is the case and you keep driving the van you may cause damage to the motor.

Other things include, loss of vacuum at the turbo. Easy to check. Remove the vacuum at the line at the turbo. With the van running check to see if there is vacuum at the line. If there is no vacuum at the line, the cause that I see fail most of the time is the vacuum solenoid. It's located under the air cleaner. But check all of the vacuum lines for damage before buying a new one. Check all boost hoses one may have a split in it. Also it is possible that your boost pressure sensor has failed.

Hope this helps, Wayne
  • chelochelo Posts: 2
    appreciate that Wayne will try that tomorrow. i'll get back to you later. thanks
  • I have a 2006 sprinter that is getting engine oil in the radiator. This is the second time it has happened in three months. The first time I replaced the oil cooler. Has anyone ever had this problem?
  • kaykam10,

It is very hard to get all of the oil out of your cooling system once this happens. About the only thing you can do is keep flushing the cooling system untill it is all gone. Each time you flush the system there should be less oil in it. Is your van using more oil than normal? If it is not I would not worry about it. If it is or you think that it is have the cooling system pressure tested this should show if there are any leaks in the system. But my best guess at this time would be that the oil you are seeing is left over from the cooler leak that happened before.

Hope this helps, Wayne
  • I am having a problem with my 2007 dodge sprinter it is using about 2 or 3 quarts of oil a week. we have had it checked for a leak and my shop cannot find one. someone suggested i check the exhaust pipe and see if it was being burned off thru there but there is no smoke and i checked for residue and there was none. please if anyone has an idea what is going on please reply. thank you and have a nice day. fedexgirl
  • elilcoelilco Posts: 1
    hi everyone,

dose anyone knows whats the best way to Flush the sprinter engine and also whats the recommended engine flush for the diesel engine.

Thank you.
  • onsite85onsite85 Posts: 1
    edited August 2011
    I have a 2006 sprinter.I was driving to work when I noticed smoke coming from the engine compartment when I stopped.I popped the hood and saw oil that was coming out of the cover.When I got home I removed the cover and it was caked with baked on hardened oil.Ichipped as much as I could get off and when I started the motor it was exhausting from the part where the glow plug and fuel are.There is a plate and hold down screw that seemed to be tight.Is there some kind of seal that may be missing or broke.Other than this the engine runs fine.The truck has 252,000 miles
  • onsite85,

Your condition is what we call blackdeath. This condition happens when the injectors seals leak. To fix this problem you should replace your injectors, bolts, seals and have the injector seats in the cylinder head recut. It takes special tools to remove your injectors when they get like this and also special tools to recut the seats. I have both. If you are ever near Toledo, Ohio 43612 I can help. Good luck, Wayne 419-304-9996
  • We have a 2007 Sprinter box truck, bought it new thinking there would be few issues. We rely heavily on our truck, it is our lively hood as we do granite countertops. We have had several issues with this truck. Biggest problem is finding someone that can actually DO work on it. Go to Dodge dealership that handles Sprinter vans, etc., call truck companies...either the our truck is too big or too small. Problem now is our truck loses power and it won't allow you to go over 45mph and it's even worse when going up hill. Took it to the garage and we were told it is the particulate air filter which will cost us $3500 to take care of. Anyone else have this type of issue? This is alot of money we do not have to replace something and if this is not the problem and we fork out the cash, then what. I've been reading on here all the issues with these trucks...it's kind of scaring me. I live in Fayetteville, NC so if anyone knows of anyone local that can help me...please share. Thanks in advance.
  • have read that there is some easy test i can do by removing the return lines but cant seam to find any details. been working through a hard starting problem that lead to vehicle staling when asked to accelerate under load. have changed primer pump and cam and crank sensors filters and the main injector pump was changed last year. love this van super on fuel just wish it would run.
  • lemon24lemon24 Posts: 1
    edited September 2011
    my 2003 sprinter 3500 which I've had since 2005, is shutting off on hills,as well as on the highway when the engine has been running for awhile.This is a very dangerous situation! It was happening occasionaly- 1x/yr until later in 2010+ summer of 2011 till now. It's presently @ my mechanics after trying to get a dodge dealer to resolve problem. dodge has now sent me to Freightliner who in turn said they no longer have a contract w Dodge!!! $$$$ to much has been spent on this vehicle for numerous problems. It also is rusted thru, all over the vehicle. this vehicle has a $35000.00 conversion for my buisness so I'm not happy! I'm very interested in anyone who wants to pursue the party's responsible!
  • apitapit Posts: 2
    I'm having the same problem, head gasket changed, oil cooler and still not fixed, also coolant gets hot often! Have you figured a solution yet,

Sacramento, CA
    Ron
  • apitapit Posts: 2
    check for a vacuum leak with your hoses, I had the same loss of power twice and both times hoses were found to be leaking.

Ron
    Sacramento, CA
  • That is caused by the injector seal being bad and that black caked on mess is diesel fuel and oil . on the 2.7 sprinter you need to reseal the injectors every 50k . most of the time the leak is cylinder number one. and will wash out the cylinder and ruin the engine.
  • My 2006 Sprinter 2500 would start up fine and driver fine until the temp gauge reaches about 185 and then the turbo would stop working and the van would lose power. If i shut the van off and start it back up everything would work fine for about 2-3 mins before it loses the power again. What might be causing this problem?
  • I have the same problem and it is being fixed as we speak, it was the engine controller covered under warrantee (99,655 Miles)
  • Had same problem and is being fixed, was the engine controller, under warrantee (99,655 Miles)