Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Prius Engine Problems

Comments

• jonniedjonnied Posts: 9
    Hi There,

I have a prius that has over 177k...at about 151k, I got my inverter water pump replaced as well. That didn't solve the problem, then they told me it was my hybrid battery. Instead of spending over 4k, I found a third party company that provided both the battery and the ECU for only $2400. Now the dealer installed everything for $800 so total was $3,600...and that is with a new battery. I'm not quite sure why your ECU is not warrantied up to 100k? Also the battery is warrantied up to 150k (which I just missed). (TaylorAutomotive.com...just fyi)

So...the call is up to you. I actually had to go to four dealerships before they confirmed that it was the battery that needed to be replaced. First dealership was the Inverter, the other was the ECU, the other was a crankshaft sensor....
    Not sure what to say shay 2...you should see what the original warranty covers for I got the platinum warranty and everything seemed to have expired just as the warranty ran out. I would simply suggest get a second opinion at another dealership and see what they find out and go from there.

Good luck.
  • agent86agent86 Posts: 9
    What is EFI service as it pertains to a 2006 Prius? Is this a do it yourself type work? Also, is throttle body cleaning easy to do and what does it involve? Thank-you
  • amyg2amyg2 Posts: 2
    We jumped our dead Prius and it started, but then had to jump it again the next day and it didn't start. Had it towed to Toyota where they said it was jumped wrong and we had to pay for a new inverter - $6100 for a 2 year old car - said because we jumped it wrong it was not a warranty repair. No way did we jump it wrong. Anyone else have this problem from Toyota?
  • biomanbioman Posts: 172
    What did you tell the people at the Toyota dealership that made them tell you that you jumped started your Prius improperly??
  • amyg2amyg2 Posts: 2
    We told them exactly what happened - that the car started the first time we jumped it but not the second time, and no AAA person could jump it either.
  • mm517amm517a Posts: 3
    When I turn on my 2002 Prius with 63K miles, the engine runs for 5 minutes but the screen shows nothing running. The dealer could not duplicate it. I have it back in today as on Sat. after turning everything off for 1/2 hour when I turned it back on it only ran for 1 minute but the green on the battery on the screen went down 1/2 the way. Anyone ever have this happen? I have to go as my car is ready. Will let you know what they say.
  • biomanbioman Posts: 172
    You should also ask the service rep what test did they perform that led them to the conclusion that YOU did something to void your warranty. Assuming that you did not tell them anything that would indicate that you did something wrong, the onus is on them to live up to the warranty. Don't let this dealer browbeat you in to submission. If you don't get any satisfaction call Toyota customer service or take the car to another dealer.
  • axlander1axlander1 Posts: 1
    We had almost exactly the same problem arise with our 2005 prius. The check engine light came on at 49K. So we took it in and they replaced the three way coolant flow valve, water pump assembly and belt. The car was running fine so it came as a shock when the price came in just under $1k. Of course the warranty ended in May. This seems insane on a car with less than 50k miles.
  • I do not know if you guys have heard about this latest Prius recall. On the 04-07 models, inverter coolant components needs to be replaced since it could result in loss of engine power. This tread showed that a lot of you, Prius owners, have already experience this problem. It also included myself over a year ago. I have to spend over $500 to have it fixed since it was already out of warranty. My question is, will Toyota reimburse me and other Prius owners who have to shoulder this repair expense now that Toyota finally admitted that this is a concern that warrants a recall?

Those of you you have experience filling a claim, perhaps you can share with us any procedure we need to do.
  • The announcement I read said that Toyota would refund prior repair charges in this case.
  • I already spoke with my service advisor and he will be putting in a claim for reimbursement. So just go to your local dealership and they will be able to pull up the records.

I am shooting for the entire repair that I undergone...all the way down to getting a reimbursement of the H2O inverter ($500) to potentially having a new Inverter replaced ($4,000 for the dealership informed me that that might need to be replaced next), to the radiatior I replaced a few months ago ($600) to the hybrid battery I replaced year ago ($4,500). The inverter was the first to go and then they stated that the overheating of the inverter might have caused damage to the other components in which I replaced. So skies the limit to take advantage of any costs that you replaced which was associated to the H2O inverter.

Hope this answer and others questions.
    J
  • My local dealership keeps saying I need to replace the pump. The cost is almost $500. My Prius is a 2005 and no light indicater has come on or do I see any spots in my driveway. Has anyone else had this problem?
    Graffiti1
  • The water pump replacement and any related repairs are fully covered under the recent "recall". If you paid for anything related before, you should get all your money back.
  • Graffiti1...
    You should contact your dealership again for there was another recall on the Prius Water Pump Inverter. This was actually my 3rd time replacing it...I did spend the $500 dollars initially BUT since there was a recall, I am submitting paperwork to get that dollar amount reimbursed.

it should be free to you if your vehicle falls under the recall. I too have a 2005 prius, so check with your dealership...if they still say the same thing, then contact another dealership and ask the same question. they should be able to see if your vehicle falls under the recall with the last 9 numbers of your VIN.

Hope this helps.
    J
  • Did anyone find out what the park mechanism warning light means? What do I do?
  • How do I fix this. I unplug the battery. It stays off for a few weeks then it comes back on. What do I do?
  • stevegoldstevegold Posts: 185
    edited September 2011
    I have a 2004 Prius. This has happened to me infrequently but more than once.
    1. Make sure you get the software upgraded by your Toyota dealer. That should be a no cost upgrade.
    2. I have ALWAYS been able to get it to start somehow, sometimes by playing with the start button which usually worked at least on the 5th or 6th try.
    3. The one time it wouldn't start at all, I disconnected the 12V battery using the underhood red terminal. After an hour I reconnected it and everything was back to normal.
    4. There may have been one occasion (in 2006 or 2007) when even that did not work so I left some lights on overnight so the 12V battery fully discharged. The next morning I jumped that battery with cables and everything was back to normal. There may have been still another earlier problem when I disconnected the hard drive under the passenger seat which caused a hard reboot when I reconnected it a few minutes later. I may be imagining this last solution.
    5. I don't recall this happening again since then. I never had to get the dealer involved except to upgrade the software as mentioned above.
    6. I do need a GPS map upgrade and will probably have to pay $250-350 for them to do that
  • I have a 2005 Prius and got a recall notice for a water pump, it was installed at no cost. I think it was a universal recall for leaking pumps.
  • Just got my 2004 prius fixed. The engine was making a load knocking noise when the gas engine turned on and the noise did not go away at all. So this went on for a week then noticed reddish fluid leaking on passenger side, thought it was either transmission fluid or radiator fluid. Took it to the dealer and found out it was the water pump & they also changed the outer belt. And no more noise. Also had the pedal & prius water pump done. So if you other prius owners I have read that have the constant gas engine knocking noise the water pump to the radiator may be it. Mine now has 99,710 miles on it and looking to get at least over 200k on it.
  • Hopefully someone can help me with this. I just recently purchased a 2008 Prius. The interaction with the Prius has been unique to say the least. i enjoy the car very much however there are problems i have noticed. First is that when I have the car running it has a significant stalling feel. I have noticed it happening at a few different times. The stalling happens everytime I drive. When I have the care idling the car seems to be running on battery them starts the gas engine and when it goes to disengage the gas engine it sputters out as if the engine is dying. Also when I am driving then go to slow at a light, stop sign or anything else that required decceleration it again has the stalling feel. The car never stops running but I am not at all buying that that is just what happened when the hybrid system engages. I have yet to have this looked at but would like to have additional information from anyone.

Second is the keyless entry.. I have no idea why this is such a pain in the butt but I would like to have my care unlock all the doors since most often then not I am not the only passenger in the vehicle... Oh might I add that this car I go has no owners manual.

Third is the navigation/bluetooth/voice command system. How do you get the voice system to recognize your voice? I would like to use my navigation and other toys but the voice recognition is not working at all. I am not familiar with the commands but nothing is recognized. It look forever to get the bluetooth to recieve the contacts from my Evo. Now I have to use my phone almost as a remote.

Fourth and last thing that concerns me is the mpg. My car is currently getting 38.9mpg mixed. Most of my driving is on the highway during rush hour. Traffic has not been horrible so the average speed is 50-55. I know the vehicle is suppose to be getting 48/45mpg. This is a pretty large concern too.