Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Explorer Starting and Stalling Problems

Comments

• I have had cat converters do this before. I had a 99 Chevy blazer that had a clogged cat in it and it wouldn't go over 50 miles an hour. If I were you, I would have a friend take the cat off for you and put a straight pipe on it. Cat's are expensive. Yes a clogged cat will cause the check engine light to come on.
  • Hi, I'm having the exact same problem with my car, same make,model, year... it just so happened to start this issues just after I washed my car... have u figured out what it was and how to fix it? Really need the help if you have it... thanks!
  • 94 Explorer cuts off while driving down highway. Engine lights comes on, can't give it any gas and then it cuts off. Changed fuel filter. Any ideas on what is causing this to happen. Have only had truck for two weeks.
  • kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    Well you probably just found out WHY it was for sale.

Hard to say what the problem is via the internet, could be hundreds of things. I think you have to start diagnosis with the basic items (electrical and fuel delivery), although if you assume this problem existed with the prior owner before they sold it......they probably already tried the easier simple things to look at.

If that is a 94 with OBD-1, are there any error codes that were set and remain with the check engine light?
  • Yeah, I found out the hard way and the sad part is I still have a balance owed on it. I guess I need to cut my losses and buy something else because I've already put $500 into fixing it. Thanks for responding!
  • most common problem on those are these....
    1 - remove fuel filter and try to blow thru it,if you can't,replace it. you already covered this one.

2- ignition module's are weak on these..,does it fire right back up? or does it have to sit for a while,

3 - you may have a crank sensor going bad.you would need to check the injector pulse and spark when it won't start..

this is the most common problems for these symptons..

4 - if you have spark and it won't start,get someone to spray carb spray into the throttle body while you crank it over,if it trys to start,you have a fuel problem or no injector pulse,which means you ethier have a fuel pump not funtioning or a bad crank sensor,and a bad ignition module can kill the injector pulse too and still have spark.
  • HELP!!! Have a 2001 Sport Trac. It starts but as soon as you take your foot off the gas it dies. It happened from one instance to the next.
    Does anybody have a solution?
  • I have a 94 Ford Explorer with 185K miles. Replaced the engine 18 months ago and that engine has about 60k miles on it. About 3 months ago started having some trouble...when I get back in the car after going in the grocery store or wherever, it won't start. It's cranking but not firing up. It happens about 3 times a week where it will run all day, no problems, and then randomly will decide not to start. When this happens, I have to sit and wait. Sometimes it starts back up after 15 minutes, sometimes not for over an hour. I'm not enjoying being stranded. Don't let the gas drop down too low - so I don't think I'm sitting on fumes or sucking up bad gas. I can't imagine what it is...I've worked this car over trying to find the problem and can't seem to get a handle on it. Anyone else ever had this problem with an older Explorer? If so, do you have an idea of what is causing it?
  • my 98 exlorer did the same thing it ended up being the throttal positioning sensor i know there is alot of years between the 2 but the engines did not change much
  • I have a 94 Ford Explorer with 185K miles. Replaced the engine 18 months ago and that engine has about 60k miles on it. About 3 months ago started having some trouble...when I get back in the car after going in the grocery store or wherever, it won't start. It's cranking but not firing up. It happens about 3 times a week where it will run all day, no problems, and then randomly will decide not to start. When this happens, I have to sit and wait. Sometimes it starts back up after 15 minutes, sometimes not for over an hour. I'm not enjoying being stranded. Don't let the gas drop down too low - so I don't think I'm sitting on fumes or sucking up bad gas. I can't imagine what it is...I've worked this car over trying to find the problem and can't seem to get a handle on it. Anyone else ever had this problem with an older Explorer? If so, do you have an idea of what is causing it?
  • tjc1tjc1 Posts: 2
    I have fuel pressure and spark but no injector pulse. I have a new cam sensor and it will turn over but it still will not start. Please help.....
  • tjc1tjc1 Posts: 2
    I have fuel pressure and spark but no injector pulse. I have a new cam sensor and it will turn over but it still will not start. Please help.....
  • my 2001 ford explorer xlt dose the same thing.the ford dealeship cannot diagnose,and they had it for 3 weeks.
  • i have the same problem with an explorer 2000 xlt with 80, 0000 km on it.
    its very frustrating, out of nowhere just will not remain on idle unless i hold the gas pedal down. and later start like nothing happened. no error codes nothing.

any ideas what one can try.

thanks
  • have the same problem with an XLT 2000 any ideas or solutions you found .

please let me know.

thanks
  • Guys having this problem for about a month now my explorer runs great some days then the next day it will not start! my battery isn't dead my lights work,radio works and when I connect my jumper cables I do get a spark...now heres the tricky part if I leave it alone for a day or two all of a sudden it works again and I have no problems.. I drove it all day back and forth earlier today and I got ready to go to the grocery store tonight and it did not start. It will start if I hold the gas down but as soon as I let off the gas the truck dies any ideas????
  • Thank you so much mschmal! I was having the same trouble starting my car as tutuchi and I thought it was toast and would cost a fortune to fix. I never knew I had a theft protection system. Your message made me realize I did have one and that the key was the problem. I found my my other set and it started right up. You saved me from getting my car towed and looking like a total idiot when they told me it was the key. Thanks again.
  • The car starts and runs great most of the time. But, sometimes it will not start. The engine turns over (Cranks) - But, it doesn't start. If we wait a while (15 minutes or 24 hours) - It suddenly starts up. It doesn't seam to matter if the engine is cold or hot. We tried a tune up & gas filter - NG. Does anyone have a solution? Thank you.
  • Hey phil41 just wanted to let you and others know that i was having this exact problem.. At first it worked fine one day and wouldn't start the next day I thought that it was because it was cold so I let it sit for awhile then it started..About a week later it would not start again but this time i took about 4 days to turn on....Finally it turned on again and worked fine for about 2 weeks then the same thing happen I talked to my brother about it and he took a look at it changed the fuel filter but this didn't fix it and he found that the accelerator cable was loose he tighten it up and FIXED IT now my truck run great!!! for some reason when this was acting up the only way it would start was when you pushed the accelerator down and hold it while you turn the key and when you released the accelerator the truck would die... Take a look at the accelerator cable and hopefully that solves your problem....
  • spent many years diagnosing Fords at a dealership where they actually paid me for my knowledge....For you I have 4 words....IDLE AIR BYPASS VALVE,will run anywhere between $50.00 and $115.00,recommend the original one,they seem to last the longest...good luck