Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Explorer Starting and Stalling Problems

Comments

• I have the exact issue. I also took it to a mechanic and they could not find the problem, or re-create it. My thoughts are that it is the IAC (Idle Air Controller) or the transmission, but the more I think about it, the less it seems to be the transmission. I don't know.
  • I think I fix'd my 95 Explorer I replaced the idle control valve & have not had a problem since. I did it myself very easy to do, but I had to buy the part from the dealer, all parts from the auto store were not the correct one. Good Luck
  • I was reading in other forums that some start up or stalling may be caused by a "crakshaft sensor"? talk to your dealer or repair man. its worth a shot.
  • I could go to a mech. with this but I like you guys here so this is my prob. 1995 Ford explorer 4.0L. Love this truck, love the engine. 176,000 miles and have had very very little problems. I am aware of the fuse under the hood(50) and the little fuse on the drivers side. My blower motor stopped working so when I got the time, I would replace it. I went to wash the truck and engine too but noticed that the blower motor started to run again. It even ran after I turned the engine off and took the key out. I had to pull the fuse under the hood. The next day I put the fuse back in and the blower motor started running again. Now that it is cold, I need heat so I put the fuse in and now I get nothing. Whats the deal?
    Thanks for your help.
  • 92 Explorer engine dies when slowing to make a turn. No hesitation or roughness, just goes off. Engine won't restart until a waiting period of 5-10 minutes, then fires up as if nothing ever happened.
    Plugs and wires ok. Vacuum lines intact. Cleaned MAS, PCV valve and IAC valve. Cleaned out throttle body and replaced fuel filter. No check engine light ever came on either. I'm at a loss now what to do? Bought this one new 17 years ago, hate to give up up on her now.
  • I just bought a 2000 explorer yesterday, it is a 5.0 V8 AWD, Automatic. We went to town and stopped a the bank and my husband went in, he shut it off, and I had the window down and it was cold so I went to put up and turned the key, and it went up, but when my husband came back out he went to start it , and it would not start. We had to have it towed home after spending 3 hours there trying to get it to start. When you turn the key it just clicks. Its not the battery. The lights, windows, and everything works, but when you turn the key over the locks start locking and unlocking. We think its something simple, but don't know where to start.
  • A couple of nights ago, I had to call AAA because my Sport Trac wouldn't start at all. The guy was able to give me a jump and replaced the negative terminal with a new one as it was corroded. Last night when I got in it to go somewhere, it started up, but each time I put it in drive, it stalled on me!! Earlier in the day I felt that it might stall when I would stop at a light, or put my foot on the break.

I thought I would get some advice here before taking it into the shop as I don't have a heck of a lot of money to spend; I need new tires, and plus I am female and scared that I will be given a load of crap and end up paying more than I need to.

Anybody have any ideas?
    Thanks!
  • biker44biker44 Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 ford explorer having the exact same problem. Our car started having this problem May of 08, during the year we have had the car at our local ford dealer two times for the problem, we are told they cannot find anything. The problem happened again 03/12/2009, while my wife was driviing home, We left the car and called roadside and had it delivered to the local ford dealer again.
    We have an extended warranty,luckily,I will contact the number you listed, by the way while my wife was on the phone with road side assistance a supervisor was listening to her complaint and advised her she had the same vehicle with the same problem.
    If you would like to contact me e-mail emcasebolt@comcast.net
  • This just started happening to me about two weeks ago and I have taken my 2004 Explorer in twice now and they can't find anything. It was scary stalling in an intersection with my three year old son in the back seat. I'm not happy but if you know what is causing it please let me know. It stalls while I'm driving and thank goodness I had enogh momentum going to get into a parking lot but it was very hard with no power steering.. :lemon:
  • flyman5flyman5 Posts: 2
    update........I found the stalling problem with my 92 Explorer. The wiring harness between battery and engine sidewall, showed evidence of corrosion. I peeled back the plastic cover and saw several exposed wires. One wire must have been 95% corroded. I suspect as I made turns the exposed wire would short out on metal sidewall and cause the intermittent engine stall. The fix was very easy, just cut out bad wire(s) and spliced in new wire with crimp-on wire connectors and cover with electrician's tape. No further stalls!
  • Hi there! Sorry to hear about your problem. It sounds like something is clogging up either your air supply or your fuel filter or even your fuel could have water in it. I hope this helps you a little--
  • dtownmildtownmil Posts: 23
    My 98 Explorer has stalled a few times when I go from reverse to drive. It started right back up and didn't really exhibit any other problems. In the winter, it sometimes has to be cranked several times before it will fire up. The problems aren't bad enough for me to do anything. I'll wait until something quits completely or becomes unreliable. Until then, I'm very happy with my Explorer. As old as it is, I have no reason to replace it.

I even tow a 19' boat short distances all summer to the ramp and back. It's a little bigger than I should be towing with it, but it's done fine for 3 years now. :shades:
  • dperl53dperl53 Posts: 1
    I was having a problem keeping it running. It happened a few times . It felt as though it was running out of fuel. It would go away and run fine. I went to start it the other day and it will not turn over. I have no spark or fuel. I was told it could be the crank sensor. any ideas?
  • bbelascobbelasco Posts: 12
    New battery, alternator ok, but sometimes car will not even click when turning the key. Problem comes and goes, does anyone have any idea where I can look or what system to test to remedy this problem. Thanks
  • david169david169 Posts: 2
    have a 04 explore 4.0, it would not start, put in fuel filter and it start now but will not accelerate can someone help
  • My 91 exploder at times-- sometimes when weather is dry and sometime when wet no set time or condition,- acts like the batery is completely dead no juice . It has cut out acouple of times when under power and at other times after driving abit and shutting down. Or the other day after setting for acouple of hours , I have check battery with a multimeter and while hooked up no readings . when i disconnect the neg, cable and chek bat. still nothin. then upon reconnecting there is a spark jump at neg terminal, and I have full power. starts and runs good then. can any one give me agood reason for this. or possible fix??
    Also is there any way i can turn off the dome courtesy lights when the hatch/rear- is opened. I have looked for aswitch or button all around the door seal .
  • could be the cat. converter is plugged . sometimes you get power on flat but no power on hills. not sure this is you trouble but sounds like might be tho i am not expert on any thing. hope this helps /a thought was filter installed in right direction?
  • I have a 1995 Ford Explorer. It ran great in Winter when it was really really cold. Now that its getting warmer outside, It will start fine, the RPM is below one and it sputters a little. The minute you put it in reverse, it dies. The only way to keep it running is to rev it up A lot, and it wont die. Does anyone know what could be wrong? Any ideas? I do not have any check engine lights on or anything like that.
  • pearltpearlt Posts: 1
    93 4.0L have fuel issue, car wont start, fuel pressure 39psi key on eng off..... when key is turned on fuel pump will not stop pumping, could hear hissing under engine, using a stethoscope i could hear fuel going right through regulator out the return, i did get it running yesterday for a little, took it around the block and falls on its butt, its starving of fuel, swapped relays, getting 12v at pump connector, when veh was running pulled vacuum line off reg and pressure did go up like its supposed to, i applied some vaccum to diaphram with hand pump and hold vacuum no problem, not is it the pump or the regualator diaphram stuck open causing fuel to move around in a circle back to tank???
    thanks
  • tas123tas123 Posts: 1
    I too am having the same problem, about once a week, ill jump in and nothing, wait an hour and it starts right up, i do have a command start as well dont know if its the problem, anny one have any suggestions please let me know? thanks.
  • i am picking one up for cheap if i can get an idea of how much tlc this thing is gonna need?runs when its warm and he says he replaced all the censors under the hood and he has had enough!Am i getting in too deep?
  • jpalmervbjpalmervb Posts: 2
    I posted earlier here with this issue #3 of 6. I finally just took it to the mechanic and told him to keep it until he could recreate the problem. It took about a week and finally he was able to recreate it. In the description on my invoice it says "At one time when acted up tapped on relays and it started???? Not a sure fix in a situation like this MAY or MAY not have more issues" So, he replaced the EEC relay ($15.00 part) and suggested while it was there to just go ahead and replace the Fuel Pump Relay (this part was replaced because of an unrelated problem previously but had 42,000 miles on it). That being said not sure which part was causing the problem but I have NOT had any more issues with it not starting after being driven. Hopefully this information will be of some help in trying to resolve the problem. Good Luck!
  • Every so often, car will not start. No crank but lights dim. Wait awhile and it starts and runs fine. Took car to local garage and of course it does not fail there. They checked battery, starter and alternator and indicated they are all fine. When it fails agin, have it towed in and they will troubleshoot.
    Any advice would be appreciated.
    Hugh
  • kc8pnykc8pny Posts: 1
    I have a 1994 Ford Explorer that will not turn over, Under the hood you can hear a clicking sound. I have taken the battery to Autozone and it checks good, I took the starter off and it checks good. Someone said the Solenoid Switch mounted on the side of the fender could be bad but thats what is clicking when we try to turn it over, any other suggestions??
  • I just replaced the multi position switch on my '97 explorer and now the motor will not start. It cranks over just fine. The switch seems to be working ok, signal, flasher, wipers, washer all work. Could this switch be causing the problem. This was a new switch from ebay (surplusparts.com). Appreciate any help. Thanks.
    Don
  • I just bought my 91 explorer about a month ago and didnt have any problems with it until about 2 weeks ago . First the fuel pump went out so i replaced that and the filter then 2 to 3 days later it started acting up again i had a buddy look at it he said it was the cylinoid so far ive replaced that 3 times because since the first time it went out it still seems to be the same problem when i turn it over all the lights in the car come on but the engine does not turn over it just makes like a clicking buzzing sound. I have heard that u can get bad cylinoids but i dont think u can do it three times in a row. so im stuck and now im lookin at the starter as possibly the problem or an electicall short in the wires connecting to the cylinoid. If anyone can help me pleaase let me know this is my only mode of transportation and i need to get to work .
  • My 2001 Sport trac just quit running today-while I was driving! Upon attempting to re-start I get a very slight engine turn then nothing. No clicking Nothing. Checked teh battery out and it is ok. What next?
  • My 94 Explorer just would not start the next morning after it drove home fine, hine sight I noticed a little sputtering but didn't think much of it. It would crank but would not start and it seem as though it was not getting any fuel. Reading symptoms from this forum I change the fuel pump relay first, wouldn't start. Replaced the EEC relay and it started right up. Thank you guys for sharing your experiences because I didn't want to pull the fuel tank.
  • Drove the truck 40-mile round trip, but only got to mile 38--two miles from home. It died in the middle of the road. It starts, runs for a split second, immediately dies. Over and over, start/die, start/die. It splutterd the whole trip. I first thought the transmission was going out or it was "running out of gas," but that's not it. Pushed the gas pedal, it spluttered, jerked, bawked, lost power--no vac hoses off, though. It ran 'til it got to that point, died, and it will not start. Local "shade tree" says can't hear fuel pump, therefore, it's out. Just doesn't act like that. (That happened to me on an XTreme Blazer--not the same thing--this one starts for just a split second.) "For kicks," I pushed the fuel pump reset button on the passenger side; nothing. Any ideas?
  • eec relay is not in my owners manual and i can't seem to find any schematics online to locate my eec relay. my 96' explorer will not start and before i dig into the fuel i'd like to try replacing the fuel pump relay (already did this) and the EEC relay but can't seem to locate it. the new relay has a mounting bracket built-in so i'm assuming it mounts somwheres any help or clues would be greatly apprciated. thanks for your time