Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Outback Satellite Radio Questions

2»

Comments

• It's just $6.95 per month for additional receivers up to 4 I believe.
  • If you have a high-speed Internet connection, you can listen thru your computer sound system by logging into their website. You won't get every channel, but you will get most. And they are included in your car subscription at no charge.
  • I just bought a 2007 Subaru used, and there is a 'sat' button on the radio. How do I go about activating this? And will I need to have an antena installed?
    Sorry if this is somewhere else on the fourm, but I couldn't seem to find the answer to this exact question. Thanks! :shades:
  • This is to access the Sirius channels. You need to upgrade the entire radio to (and buy a subscription to ) Sirius. It will include the antenna attached to the upper right inside of windshield.
  • hello,

I've been using a sirius sportster model, my wife bought me an installable kit for my legacy

the dealer installed it, but I'm looking for some of the features the sportster had...where's the 'memo' key or the 'band' key? are they not included in this kit? are they hidden somewhere in the radio features?

any help is appreciated. :confuse:
  • m287668m287668 Posts: 2
    I'm trying to figure this out too. The dealer told me that I had to have the radio switched out, but there's a SAT button right on the radio of my 2009 "satellite ready" outback? It doesn't make sense?
  • zenprofitzenprofit Posts: 12
    "Satellite Ready" means the wiring harness is in the back of the dashboard. You still need the satellite radio "tuner" and windshield-mounted antenna to complete the process. After 18 months, my Sirius satellite is used 4 hours every day. :)
  • m287668m287668 Posts: 2
    I'm thinking that this is all I need. Has anyone else attempted to activate a "satellite ready" ready with this?

http://www.xmradio.com/xm-direct/index.xmc
  • Greetings,

I'd like to install the XM satellite radio tuner into my 08' Outback 2.5i. To save money, I plan on doing it myself. If there is anybody that has done the install themselves (rather than dealer), can you share your experience?

Two questions in particular:
    1) Where is the best place to by the XM reciever? It appears that you can buy a Outback specific version: link title or a generic one from XM link title (which I assume you would need an adapter to connect to the head). Can anybody explain the difference?

2) Any unexpected SNAFU's I should worry about while doing the install?

Thanks for any comments and suggestions.
  • ctkatctkat Posts: 4
    In Nov 2009 I ordered a 2010 Legacy. I told the salesman that I wanted XM radio. The car took over 3 months to come in (after March 1), and picked up the car on March 6, 2010. There was no XM in the car, and the salesman apologized that he believed the car came with the radio, but in fact it was only satellite capable. How he tells me that for "about $500 plus discounted labor" I can have the radio installed. This seems ridiculous to me, as well as expensive. The Subaru website has the radio for $398 at time of purchase, and I think I should pay no more than that. I also purchased the navigation system so Subaru strongly suggests that they do the install. Comments?
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    edited March 2010
    I agree - this was their mistake so you should not have to pay labor for it.

Do you have it somewhere in writing that XM was supposed to be installed? Ask to speak to a manager. If the dealership is not responsive call 800-SUBARU3.
  • Did you purchase the xm tuner mod and have it installed. If so and where did you purchase it from? If So what is the part number?
  • I have seen detailed instructions on the installation of the XM module in the Outback. I lost the url due to a computer crash. Have anyone of you seen it? Looking for a source for the XM receiver module.
  • Has anyone figured out how to get the name of the song and artist to scroll on the radio read-out when using Sirius radio. It scrolls when in FM radio mode.
  • mnuge68mnuge68 Posts: 2
    I have the same exact problem. I had the radio replaced once and been on the phone with Sirius many, many times. I have not gotten and answer. It is very frustrating.

My Ipod touch scrolls and my FM scrolls, not the Sirius which I use the most!
  • mnuge68mnuge68 Posts: 2
    I have the same exact problem. I had the radio replaced once and been on the phone with Sirius many, many times. I have not gotten and answer. It is very frustrating.

My Ipod touch scrolls and my FM scrolls, not the Sirius which I use the most!
  • zenprofitzenprofit Posts: 12
    I have spent many useless hours on the phone and emailing the Customer "Service" team at Subaru US HQ. They are clueless. The problem lies with the cheap satellite tuner that was specified by Subaru to meet the absolute minimum Sirius XM requirements. These people couldn't care a rat's butt about our complaints. They have no plans to change it either.

YOSHIO HASUNUMA - Chairman of the Board, President, and Chief Executive Officer

THOMAS J. DOLL - Executive Vice President, Chief Operating Officer and Chief Financial Officer

TIMOTHY J. MAHONEY - Senior Vice President and Chief Marketing Officer

TIM COLBECK - Senior Vice President, Sales

Their email addresses follow this format:

firstname.lastname@subaru.com

Tell them that you have looked at Sirius in other comparable Japanese vehicles and they are all better and that you will never buy another Subaru again if they don't fix this. :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
  • clarkkentclarkkent Posts: 154
    edited June 2012
    How can you tell if your Subaru has Sirius radio? My 07 has a button for sat. radio. but it does nothing

bought the car used. Prev. owner thought it has Sat. radio but he never used it.
  • Your 07 stereo may be set up for satellite radio, but you need a subscription for it. My 2012 Outback came with 3 or 4 months of free service, but after that I have to pay for it. If I don't, mine will also do nothing when I select it.

I think all, or most, vehicles set up for satellite radio have a short stubby antennae type thingy on the roof. It does not stick up very far.
2»