Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Car Commercials, the good, the bad, and the annoying!

Comments

• bdreggorsbdreggors Posts: 143
    The Good:
    -That 2000 GMC commercial where the Yukons drive around in formation. I love that music! Here's a tip for all the car companies out there: Formation driving gets attention!

-The new Dodge commercials, where all the cars are graced with rebates, except the Viper. It's weird, but cool.

-Cadillac DeVille and Seville commercials. Nice cohesion between graphics and sounds.

-Saturn LS comemrcial with the crazy Accord guy. I don't like it for the Saturn, but because I know that half of all drivers can relate to that guy, talking to themselves and secretly challenging others to races when they try to pass.

and a few from awhile ago...
    -Mercedes M-CLass commercial from a few years ago featuring the singing baby. That ranks among my personal top ten!

-Buick full-line commercial with that "Real Car" ballad. It was kind of long, but good. At the beginning it showed a minivan and the voiceover, "Is that a car? That ain't no car." and then an SUV, "Is THAT a car? Not a real car...". So true...

The Bad:
    -Infiniti I30 commercial. Not really a bad commercial, but it highlights the retractable sunshade. Not really an engineering breakthrough!

-Suburu Outback sedan commercial saying that the sedan has a "decidedly uptown look". Huge foglights, giant spoiler...doesn't bring Times Square to my mind.

-95% of all Toyota commercials. Just horrible. People would look at a Camry instead of an exploding building? The overused metaphoric tripe in the Avalon commercial? Someone actually taking a 4Runner off-road? These are hillarious...unfortunetly, that's not their aim.

And the Annoying:
    -The absolute, most annoying commercial, EVER:
    The current MY TOYOTA sale ads. It is the absolute worst ever. The song will drill into your head and stay there!

I don't know if these are playing anywhere else in the country, but in Tampa, Florida, we are being barraged by these ads. I turn on the radio: MY TOYOTA! I turn on the TV: MY TOYOTA! Finally, the sale was over...but wait; Turn on the TV and MY TOYOTA! Its been extended! Now I know how Noriega felt...
  • fezofezo Posts: 9,410
    "Now I know how Noriega felt..."

Yes! Exactly!! Hee hee...
  • ickesickes Posts: 82
    1. Nissan Maxima on the dry lake bed with the jet engine sound in the background.

2. VW Passat Wagon w/ the that cookie is still good under the 5-second rule.

Also like the Lincoln LS cut-less commercial with "WOOD, LEATHER."
  • dbakalardbakalar Posts: 39
    Ford Focus coffee drinking, rail road crossing... "Dude. Dude. Dude. Dude. Dude. DUDES!)
  • denniswadedenniswade Posts: 362
    The entire VW campaign. They're minimalist, funny, memorable and they all present a characteristic or benefit of the car in an entirely positive way. The Cabrio ad is my favorite of all -- it absolutely captures the magic of driving a convertible in the moonlight. Maximum cool!!!

I drive a Toyota (matter of fact, so does my wife and daughter), but I'm witchoo on the ads -- they stink, except for the Tundra ads, which are pretty cool -- especially the one with the big dumpster trying to parallel park.

The original GS ads ("Something wicked this way comes") were masterful in their attempt to dissassociate the car from its put-me-to-sleep Lexus brethren, and the new GS ad with the girl who wants a "nice caring buy who reads poetry and isn't afraid to pick a flower" then sees her REAL blind date, is pretty cool too. But the new IS print ads with the weirdo is just dumb. Saatchi and Saatchi needs some new talent........
  • rcarbonircarboni Posts: 290
    The Bad:

1. The two women fighting for a parking spot in their SUVs. Bad image portrayal and how many Kias did they wreck shooting that one?

2. The Lexus guy looking at his reflection while driving. Now I have associated Dork and Lexus as meaning the same thing.

3. "Wider is Better". Concept is Stupid.

4. Cadillac Catera. The caddy that "zigs"??? No wonder Cadillac couldn't sell these things.

5. Honda Odyssey with the dogs. OK......

6. Nissan Maxima. It was kinda cool the first 150 times I saw it. Now I'm sick of the Who, and the Maxima.

7. Subaru Outback with Aussie guy. Ok, they're not that bad, but they are getting old.

The Good:

1. Eskimo describing animal tracks declares "Audi" after seeing tire tracks.

2. Jeep Wrangler being "created" on the mountain.

3. Tiger Woods Golf School. Has nothing to do with the car, but is good for a laugh.

4. Chrysler 300M showing old commercials of 300 product line.

5. Honda Insight. They should have put this much thought into the Odyssey ad.

6. Jaguar S-type. Great music and images.

7. Mitsubishi image ads. You want to deny it, but you know it's true. You buy because of looks.

8. The new Passat ads that have people remembering their younger days.

9. The Saturn LS. "That's what I've been saying for years". Funny stuff.
    That Paul Hogan guy is making me think that Subaru is AUSTRALIAN!

I liked the older Odyssey ad with the members of the family each being represented by a lawyer that wanted something different in the van. Much better than the Frankenstein dog-men.

I also like the new Silverado ad where the drilling guy asks the younger kid what he did with his truck and the youngster responds by saying "I just washed it." The owner drives it through the mud during the voiceover and at the end a coworker says "Man's gotta protect his image"!

Just an interesting observation about truck commercials:
    Silverado: "The Truck"
    Sierra: "Professional-grade Trucks"
    F-150: "Built Ford Tough"
    Ram: "The Burden of Leadership"

Toyota Tundra: "Just enough power for you!"

An exercise in modesty or inadequacy? ;)
  • ickesickes Posts: 82
    Agree with your comment about the "wider is better" It is especially stupid since the Intrigue has a wider track than the GP.

I saw the Focud "dude" commercial yesterday. VERY "dud". Ford is trying too hard to be hip.

Does anyone get Cadillac's new Fusion campaign. Not much sense there. "Standard of the World" was better, even though it isn't true anymore.
  • freddy_kfreddy_k Posts: 376
    One of my favourates - judged by the fact that I cracked up the first time I saw it - guy parks his Jetta, the sound of a rolling shopping kart, guy runs through the camera and tackles it before it hits the car. I though it was great.

Most annoying: All the new focus commercials playing cheap, cheesy music and people driving the cars all happy and stupid. Makes me ill!
  • denniswadedenniswade Posts: 362
    You have "youth marketing" to thank for that -- kinda like old white guys trying to be "hip with all that jive"........
  • crkeehncrkeehn Posts: 513
    Any Sesame Street fan will recognize the Honda dogs as the Wegman Weimaraners. They are used on Sesame Street both dressed up as they are in the Honda ad, and forming letters.
  • And, from Honda's point of view, I think that spells, "We are selling all the Odysseys we can make as fast as we can make them, so we can do anything we like in the ads because they don't really have to sell the van anyway. So there!"

Personally, I think the ad directors saw a unique opportunity to spend some already-budgeted ad money on their wild and creative whims since the ads didn't really have to get results other than some attention and possibly an ad award (I forget what they're called, Addy maybe?)....
  • crkeehncrkeehn Posts: 513
    That may well be, but what else can you say about the Odyssey other than I got mine and you didn't, Nah Nah Nah.

Anybody with young children that one would need a van for, probably would be familiar with the Wegman Weimaraners (by the way, I did have to look up the spelling of Weimaraner.) from Sesame Street. As Sesame Street is an illusion, the parental units would make the connection that the Odyssey is also an illusion, most likely those that you think you see on the street are cardboard mockups.
  • mhansen1mhansen1 Posts: 14
    Last night, I saw for the first time the ad for the VW Jetta where he parks at the grocery store and walks away; then a shopping carriage comes rolling toward his car and he tackles it so it wont hit the car .... found it hilarious!

I also liked the ads for the Jeep a couple years back. Girl is suntanning on the hood at the top of the cliff while the storm cloud is raining over the overlooking city.

Very annoying plus I do not get it: the Honda Odyessey and the family of dogs ???
  • rickabtrickabt Posts: 34
    Following the semantic dissection of the word "is" during the Clinton impeachment trial, Cadillac thought they were free to reinvent the word "and." They should have realized that the over-analysis of "is" was the final straw for many Americans who were growing weary of the entire proceeding, but it is just like General Motors to become preoccupied with aggrandizing trivial minutiae by attempting to add new meaning to words such as "driver control system."

Remember the "Driver Control System" of the S-10 Blazer three or four years ago? What was that?

The driver steers the Blazer with the steering wheel. The driver propels the car at varying speeds by depressing the accelerator pedal. The driver slows or stops the vehicle by stepping on the brakes. Except for cars specially equipped by driving instructors, what car doesn't have a "Driver Control System."

Of course, GM meant that the Blazer had eight available suspensions (of which, I only saw two on the dealership as a Chevy salesman), EVO steering (electrically variable orifice which constricts at higher speeds to restrict the flow of steering fluid), ABS brakes, VORTEC V6, and virtually everything related to the powertrain and safety systems.

Many customers actually seemed to be befuddled by all the suspension choices. It actually seemed to backfire on account of this.

Strangely enough, the "Driver Control System" was not mentioned in the GMC Jimmy ads.
    "Wider is better" has already been mentioned, but what about the Pontiac Gran Am's ads which tout the vehicle's "Solid-Form Contruction."

Is that what makes Pontiacs so different?

If I'm not mistaken, steel has undergone a phase change by the time it is forged. It was indeed a liquid at one time.

"Stabilitrak 2.0" is another pompous pile of B.S. How many consumers will ever understand the different components of this not-so-unique system? As an automotive sales professional, it is my job to become familiar with the features of competitive vehicles, but I will choose to ignore "Stabilitrak." I suspect that the entire TV-viewing public is snoozing on this.

Of course, it is so ridiculous when you hear manufacturers proclaim these ridiculous patented "systems" with trademarked names as exclusive options (e.g., "...the only car in its class with 'Stabilitrak 2.0.'").

Wife: "I just don't see why we should pay $1500 more for this car compared to the Acura."

Husband: "Yeah, but does the Acura have 'Stabilitrak 2.0?' I don't think so!"

Wife: "Oh, that's right! That's a good call. Where do we sign?"

How plausible is this?
    ..."Best in class" crap. Infiniti's I30 (expensive Maxima) has the most powerful V-6 (227hp) in its class, which is entry-luxury or something like that. But what about the Buick Park Avenue with 240hp? Or the Chrysler 300M with 253hp? Those strike me as entry-luxury ($30-40K).

So is it BS? Sure is, but its not exclusive to any one company.

And one word about the "Wider-is-Better" thing. Of the three GM W-Body cars (of which GP is one), which is the widest? The Grand Prix, right? Nope. The Regal? Close...it's the Olds Intrigue!

Another thing that annoys me is this sponsership crap. A Coach Edition Lexus? A Nautica Mercury Villager minivan? Who buys this crap??

Plus, I've noticed that any car is now a sports car if it has a spoiler and the word "sport" in its name. And I mean ANYTHING, take the Dodge Caravan Sport for example...
    I really hate the ad from Mitsubishi in which they cite Car and Driver's choice to name their Galant as the top midsize import above the Accord or Camry; they childishly gloat "I'm better than you are" in a tone reminiscent of an overly ambitious, super-competitive playground hoopster ... a hero in his own mind who would wilt under the pressure of real organized competition.

I think the viewing public understands that Car and Driver's awards really mean nothing ... after all, the Chevy Malibu was the "Car of the Year" in 1998, but long-term tests from other mags have proved that this car is far worse than average.

I wonder what kind of people actually respond positively to this ad. Mitsubishi is probably marketing itself to sufferers of "small-man syndrome."
    I actually got a laugh out of it (since I'm not a fan of the Accord or Camry), but I don't put much stock in it. Personally, I'm getting sick of these superlatives.

Mitsubishi is the fastest-growing Japanese car company.

Toyota Camry is the best-selling car in America/F-150 the best-selling truck.

Honda Accord is the most stolen car in America.

Only one of these makes a difference to an educated consumer. I'm also sick of the "Car of the Year" awards. The Lincoln LS was undeservedly the car of the year. Personally, a car like the S-Class or DeVille deserved to be. They set the standard in their respective fields while the LS is a Lincoln catch-up.

Just a little reminder; the Chevy Caprice and the Renault Alliance were also Cars of the Year...
  • freddy_kfreddy_k Posts: 376
    They are all BS. Anyone who bases their final decision on 'car of the year' or any similar such awards are only fooling themselves.
  • Strangely, those awards can actually increase the value of the vehicle simply because they often increase the general perceived value of the car. That generates demand (often even for the used vehicle) and that increases resale value.

Think about investment art in which almost the entire value of a work of art is what people think it is (i.e. what people are willing to pay) and nothing else. If you think that there exist timeless "masters" whose works are always valuable, then look through the frieze's of libraries throughout Europe. The "masters" pictured up there will change depending on when the library was built; some of them appear, then disappear and finally reappear on the "masters" list. So it seems that truly nothing human is permanent; even "masters" come and "masters" go....
  • rcarbonircarboni Posts: 290
    ... is the "Certified Pre-Owned vehicle". Yup, we've had our experts go over this from bumper to bumper, and we certify that this is a used car.
    "Our Certified Pre-Owned Cars undergo an extensive 5-point evaluation, judging things from whether it looks like a car to if its physically on the lot."

The only way a car can be pre-owned is if someone bought it, left it on the lot, and resold it. Just be honest and call 'em used.
  • cars pre-owned. Who would dare to use one? ;-O
  • andrew21andrew21 Posts: 6
    you guys said it, what is up w/ Mitsu and their "I'm incredibly adolescent, in an annoying, and in no way endearing" set of ads:

I'm better than you are
    Love at first sight is based on sight
    etc.

Puke.
  • kevm14kevm14 Posts: 423
    What's wrong with the Chevy Caprice? It was redesigned for 1977, so it was a new car then. Also, it was redesigned in 91, and again, it won car of the year. But it wasn't just the Caprice, it was the LTZ. Here are some quotes from reviews:

"The watchword for the LTZ is ``heavy,`` as in heavy-duty stabilizer bars front and rear, heavy-duty springs, heavy-duty shocks, heavy-duty rear brakes (anti-lock system is standard), heavy-duty radiator and transmission oil cooler, and heavier-gauge frame and body mounts."

"Motor Trend magazine named the LTZ its 1991 Car of the Year. The magazine dubbed the car "a new benchmark in a high-quality, performance-oriented family sedan.""

"The big wheels and tires made the power-steering effort just a bit heavier. But this contributed to the feel of the wheel. When you threw the car into a fast corner, it acted as if it were nailed to the pavement."

"A SPORTY CAPRICE is right up there with talking horses, flying cows and chess-playing chickens on the list of things that don't exist. But there is a Caprice that is sportier than the rest."

"Many people (including me) laughed when Motor Trend magazine named the Chevrolet Caprice Classic LTZ its Car of the Year.
    The fact is, if you laughed at the Chevy Caprice, the joke is on you.
    The Caprice Classic LTZ is magnificent in its performance, fit and finish, road manners and handling."

"The LTZ packs two major surprises: performance and handling. It's unexpected when something as unwieldy looking as the Caprice performs as well as it does."

"Rear-wheel-drive cars weighing more than 2 tons traditionally have handled about as well as a barge. The Caprice Classic LTZ is a rear-wheel-drive car that weighs better than 2 tons but can slice through curves without squealing tires and without tossing occupants and cargo from side to side. The LTZ's handling is tight, smooth, predictable and solid."

Here's some from a 93 LTZ review, which had a 350:

"Smooth, quiet and powerful is the best way to describe the LTZ's performance.

The drivetrain has the same quality feel as a Honda Accord."

"In testing the suspension system, I like to see how well a car drives under duress. The Caprice's performance in this area is mighty impressive for a full-size sedan."

So there you have it....at the very least, it's not the joke some of you make it out to be.
    In fact, I like the 91-96 Caprice and think that it is a great car, one of the last true RWD V-8s. We're just pointing out that Car fo the Year awards don't mean much.

Personally, i was amazed when i found out that the Caprice was chosen CotY, not because it was a Caprice, but because it wasn't a completly "new" car, like the Lincoln LS is. IMHO, the only reason the belated LS was chosen over other redesigned cars was because it was brand-new. I believe that the S-Class or DTS deserved the trophy. Heck, the 2000 LeSabre deserves it more; the LeSabre sets a standard in the large car field, the LS catches up in the sport sedan field.
  • 300michael300michael Posts: 1,815
    I like the two Chrysler comercials. Devil, and PT Cruser, and 300M car wash ones.
    Dislike the GM wide track one, too many other vehicles in the same class have a wider track. The same goes for the I30 (you have to read all the disclamers) ad that lies. I also include the IS300 for kidnapping and extrosion commited by the drivers, in their ads.
  • pjyoungpjyoung Posts: 885
    Where they asked a guy why he bought his Camry and he replies "Because we were looking for something sporty.". Camry - Sporty? Reliable yes, sporty - well to those who lead a sheltered life, maybe it is.
  • kevm14kevm14 Posts: 423
    The Camry actually has quite sloppy handling...the sporty midsize sedan is the Maxima...