Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Car Commercials, the good, the bad, and the annoying!

Comments

• tmarttmart Spring, TXPosts: 1,030
    That's a good one.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Oh man, I had high hopes for this series, too:

http://youtu.be/9H0xPWAtaa8

That's just awful. :(
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 8,100
    It's not bad. It's going to take a while to introduce the new tag line.
    I cringed a little at the bad accent.

And where's Jimmy Cliff? Would have been funnier if he'd been in the car.
  • fintailfintail Posts: 34,528
    Kind of annoying, I'd probably throw something at someone if they tried that accent with me. But, it's the Beetle, I am not the target market anyway.
    Yeah, 16 year old girls all over the world are giggling. ;)

Walking my daughter to school, she said she didn't like wedges but liked a yellow Beetle that drove by.
  • michaellnomichaellno Posts: 4,300
    I cringed a little at the bad accent.

We get bad Jamaican accents, while the Netherlands gets this:

Dog loves VW

I wouldn't be surprised to discover that he was perfectly happy to accept the money to remake the song and star in the first ad but performing with the actual product might be construed as being a "total sellout".
    Love it, can't go wrong with dog themes. :shades:
    Yeah, funny. Guessing the text at the end says "not everything is built like a Volkswagen", or similar.
    http://youtu.be/W7cerrxEdQA

Definitely has potential...let's see.
    Love it, can't go wrong with dog themes.

Then you offend all the people who are afraid of or allergic to dogs or prefer cats. Just think of the lawsuits....
    Sue me for what? A 7 year old minivan? ;)
    This power outage brought to you by Mercedes Benz electronics.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 15,886
    Good thing it is not Lucas stadium. not only would the lights have gone out, but it would have caught fire too.

2015 Hyundai Sonata 2.4i Limited Tech (mine), 2013 Acura RDX (wife's) and 2007 Volvo S40 (daughters college car)

edited February 2013
    Wouldn't it better to be Audi (who has sent out a smarmy tweet, yet the VAG group is a leader for electrical issues)?

This naptime brought to you by Toyota :shades:
    Well, MB does pays a lot of money to put their name on the Mercedes Benz Superdome....
  • xrunner2xrunner2 Posts: 3,062
    Nice commercial last night on the big game. The Hyundai Turbo with man/woman (husband/wife) and look on woman's face when they are approaching disgusting vehicles. And a driver too, in case of early part of commercial where they come upon a motorcycle with unique exhaust pipes and a largish guy showing a part of his lower back. Hyundai made good case for having a turbo to get around these creepy vehicles and their drivers.
    When you looked up you saw a bunch of lights, a big Benz logo in the middle, and then lights out on the other side.

PA-DIDDLE! :D
    I'd seen it, but the kids laughed hard when they saw the dogs slobbering.

The Kia one with the babies dropping out of the sky was funny, and they found a way to get Uvo into the commercial.

I thought the Tide commercial with the Joe Montana stain stole the show, though.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 15,886
    the Montana one was funny.

I also liked the Taco Bell one with the geezers breaking out of the home, and burning rubber in the '71 or so Plymouth.

2015 Hyundai Sonata 2.4i Limited Tech (mine), 2013 Acura RDX (wife's) and 2007 Volvo S40 (daughters college car)

Yeah my kids were cracking up at that one.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 42,420
    Edmunds was twitting non-stop during the Super Bowl. Some interesting tidbits:

More consideration lifts on @Edmunds thru kickoff: @Chevrolet Silverado 1500 (+10%), @Hyundai Genesis (+830%) and Santa Fe (+212%)

@Hyundai's pre-game and 1Q presence led to a big boost of brand consideration (+201%) on http://Edmunds.com #SuperBowlAds

Toyota RAV4's ad ran near the end of Q1, and the car saw a 250% lift in consideration on @Edmunds during Q2.

@Audi S6's vehicle consideration spiked 73 percent on http://Edmunds.com during the 4th quarter. #brandbowl

"The big winner -- at least in terms of immediate interest -- was Hyundai, which saw a 738% increase in traffic to Edmunds.com pages about its Santa Fe model after the company's ad hit the air."

Hyundai wins Super Bowl auto ad wars (CNN Money)

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

Yet Audi, an electrical issue king, sent out the twitty tweet :shades: Maybe just jealous that MB has made so much money that they can put their name on something like that.

A commercial I have seen that made me laugh was the Sorento ad where the guy exits the car through the rear hatch. Although my laugh might not be what is intended, as the car is a loaded model, I am thinking that someone laid down 30K+ on a Sorento.
    edited February 2013
    Do people actually "consider" cars via superbowl ads, or is that just marketing shtick? Aging Genesis up 800+% via a pretty loose ad? Sounds weird.
    I am thinking that someone laid down 30K+ on a Sorento

That is not a lot of money nowadays.

30k is about what you'll spend just on options on european 3 row lux SUVs.

The Buick Enclave we liked was over $46 grand. Prius V was $36k. Q7 was {CENSORED}. :D
    edited February 2013
    Maybe just jealous that MB has made so much money that they can put their name on something like that.

Maybe they prefer to own a team rather than just paying to slap their name of an aging facility. :P

I can understand MB paying naming rights for the Superdome. It gets the Superbowl everty 5-7 years and that attracts the largest single game audience in the world. And their sponsorship in F1 and PGA golf fits right in with their target market.

VW does their sports marketing a little differently. They own Vfl Wolfsburg - a soccer/football team as well as the stadium they play in. They are the shirt sponsors of DC United, the Sligo Rovers of the Irish Premier League and Puebla FC in Liga MX. The have the naming rights to a soccer team and their stadium in Soweto SA, are the "official" car of MLS and have other various deals in other sports. They seem to do smaller deals that reach more people more often.

I didn't see the Audi tweet. Anyone have a link?