Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Car Commercials, the good, the bad, and the annoying!

Comments

• fintailfintail Posts: 33,593
    Local screamer ad Hyundai dealer (with annoying jingle) has a new spot for Genesis - claims a 43 or 44K sticker price, he'll sell it to you for 33K - which means you could probably get it for 30. I assume that's a loaded V6 model, as the V8 is more. Must be clearing out inventory ahead of the new model.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Nah, it's 33k, plus a grand for freight, plus the undercoating they already put on there. You're out the door for $36k, tops. :D
    edited March 2013
    http://bcove.me/vnpjl4nt

Only problem with that is the Enclave is one of those, sort of. It's huge and has terrible visibility to the rear.
    Or at least the pockets of people selling Paganis:

http://youtu.be/nfSZJLkt67E
    Still, for a 44K+ tack ons sticker - might be a value even if not an exciting car. Hard to believe much if any profit is being made.
    edited March 2013
    44k for a V6? Seems a bit steep, then again the 1 series q optioned out cost more than that.

I think they dropped or soon will drop the middle engine option, so it's the V6 or the big V8.

Hyundai has weird incentives right now, some owner loyalty and others you have to finance, so I'm sure there would be major strings attached.
    I went and built my own - you can get a V6 to 44K with both option packages - but that's the inflated MSRP on an aging model, of course, and I doubt anything Korean sells near MSRP.

I bet a good negotiator could land a loaded V6 Genesis for that advertised price even without loyalty and military and grad etc rebates, just to move one along.

Car Pros sells for less, C-A-R-P-R-O-S
    Does anything non-Korean sell for near MSRP?

There is a glut of capacity, so besides a few exotics with wait lists, every car is discounted today.
    I don't know of many 44K cars that can be had for 33K, no matter their origin. That's a greater percentage and raw numbers both discount than I got on an outgoing MB that is already known to be discounted.
    You sure he didn't trade a $5k car in that deal?

I looked at Fitzmall and the discounts here are about half as much, $5k or so off list.

I can see someone getting a better deal than no-haggle, but by $5,000? Sounds too good to be true.
    edited March 2013
    I didn't see any fine print about a trade, didn't catch all the rebate deals. Probably 3K for people born on Wednesdays who graduated college between 1981-83 and have red hair.

Maybe he got a special allotment/dump of them - I think it is a very high volume dealership.
    At $10k off I will have one, black over tan.
    You'd lay down 33K+ tax on a V6 Genesis? Give Car Pros a call.

I had looked at their site not long ago, they still had lease offers on 2012 models :confuse:
    V6 premium, which has navi, moonroof, and the real cowhide dash wrap, lists for $40k, so for $30k I'd be interested, sure. That's CamCord money.

They're asking $35k around here and thats with some incentives i would not qualify for (loyalty).

Still no profit in that price, though.
    edited March 2013
    I saw the ad again last night - it was 44K MSRP, 34K screamer offer, there actually wasn't any fine print - that was just the price. When's the new one due? Maybe there's a glut, as I doubt the fleets want the high model. I bet a base can be had for 25K now easy.
    I think this is the last model year. Don't quote me but we may get a preview at the NY show in April.

I bet they spoil it by over styling it and raising the price. The current one is a sleeper and a bargain. I haven't seen prices below 30 and I do look every once in a while.

Before the DI V6 arrived I did see $27,900 specials, though.
    Oh yeah, they will overstyle it. It might even be a reaction to the current somewhat understyled E60-derived design - and I am not saying understyled is bad. Raising the price could be a dangerous game, but it might also finally empty a slot for the Azera, which is in a tough position right now.
    Azera is in no mans land, so they will likely move the Genesis upscale.
    Which is a risky thing too - although maybe the US market is big enough to support it. Price the Genesis in German territory, and most of the developed world won't go for it.

Is there an Azera commercial airing now? I've seen a few new ones on the road.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 14,296
    the Azera really serves a different purpose (market niche) even though it is similar in size and price. I look at it as similar to Lexus with the ES and GS.

I remember when the genny was coming out, my friend that works for corporate (so I got to see all the new models 3-4 months before they were in the dealers) had one, and he told me that he preferred the Azera, because it was a more cushy ride. So, appealing to the older (Buick/Avalon) set instead of the younger, "euro" crowd.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 1,808
    Well, it's cheap. It may be no bargain though. Long-term quality in Hyundais still seems to be a crapshoot.

2011 Buick Regal Turbo, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

edited March 2013
    Azera is in the 30s I think, but it only comes loaded. Edit: 29.5 to 35 or so.

There's still plenty of room below the E and 5. They can find a sweet spot in the 40-45k range.
    edited March 2013
    I'd wager 95% of Genesis transaction prices are no more than in the 30s, and Sonata can creep up close when loaded. Lots of product in that range, and you step into legitimate premium badges without much more increase.

New one will need to be something of a revelation.

Just saw the commercial again. Clearing out inventory no doubt.
    edited March 2013
    Took a peek, there's way too much overlap. Pretty much starts at a grand more than the Azera, and median price is about where the Azera leaves off, so 50% overlap. The 5l V8 peeks in to the low 40s. 10% of them were in the 40s (you were close).

Drop the base V6, make the premium package standard, and they would not overlap.

No way no how I'd ever pick an Azera over a Genesis.

The only Sonatas in the $30s are the hybrids, so that model is about where it should be. If we exclude the hybrid it doesn't overlap with the Azera at all.

When the new Genny comes out the lineup should be sorted out in terms of price, with little/no overlap.
    http://youtu.be/R-iMnsOPPNI

Flash back to the 80s with this Trans Am T-top custom.
    http://youtu.be/v0pb0vvi37U

Playful, if a bit silly. May just work for a young demographic.

I like the seat belt on the milk at the end.
    A couple commercials being aired a lot right now are kind of annoying. Any Honda ad with whistling style music in the background - seems to be a dorky ploy put people at ease, as if a car is so worrisome and stressful. Whistling makes troubles go away! And VW commercials featuring annoying early 30-somethings - guy has to have faux scruff (the last gasp of masculinity his owner allows) and a collared shirt with a sweater or similar. I think the ad copy business is ran by hipsters.