Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Car Commercials, the good, the bad, and the annoying!

Comments

• xrunner2xrunner2 Posts: 3,062
    Would have thought VW would move on from their silly commercial of 3 guys out for a ride in a VW beetle convertible on a cold day with top down. The driver goes into a store and scares people with his mask on. Too many commercials apparently written by teen-age boys and for teen-age boys who don't have money or job to buy a new car.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Creepy ad, doesn't make you want to buy any car at all.
  • fintailfintail Posts: 34,003
    A lot of middle aged guys are just teenaged boys who haven't moved on. When their leash-holding wife or daughter makes them buy that Beetle, the commercial will make them think it's something other than what it is.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,851
    It's funny, my high school age nephews told me about those cars over the weekend. Maybe they had already seen the video.
    Subaru takes a stab at a heritage themed video:

http://youtu.be/ohQYv9QVIY4

I'm a little disappointed they didn't show some of the early vans, though.
    edited April 2013
    Cool, but 2 minutes + is not really a commercial. They need to make it 60 seconds or less, and put it on TV. It's just a marketing/PR piece, as is. But nice to see them acknowledge the past, they have some interesting cars.

A long heritage themed promo piece

Probably the first heritage themed commercial
    The funny thing is I kept thinking the Subaru video was finished...and then it kept going. At least twice. :D

Is that Benz video from the museum? Neat.
    edited April 2013
    Some of their 70s and 80s material is so weird, it is cool

The long MB piece is from a MB facility in England (and contains a few factual errors).
    http://youtu.be/9igiKOCh5Wg

Hope it's half as good as Senna was.

I can take my little boy, too, just gotta tell him Thor is driving! :D
    Might be a good one. My dad was into F1 back in the 80s, I remember a lot of the names.

I wish Group B could come back so we could have the "Havoc" series again - I spent hours watching those.
    I think the rivalries are what make great F1 championships, and perhaps what's been missing in modern F1. There always seems to be one dominant driver.

Now it's all drifting and fireworks.
    All too much PR and hype. F1 now is a polished marketing machine.

I like Vettel and Kimi, though.
    I'd rather see Kimi driving a rally car, though.
    Being Finnish, he should have a natural ability.
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,196
    edited April 2013
    Funny a guy who has all that would just drive an Acura. Why would he live such an opulent lifestyle and be such a relative cheapskate about his ride? I picture a dude like that in an S63 AMG. The average Acura driver probably lives in a cardboard and Tyvek McMansion in some tacky new development, stops at Starbucks for a coffee, then goes to his mundane job in an anonymous office park.
    The opulent lifestyle guy would be picked up by a driver.

A least that's how it is in DC, probably all east coast.

Except maybe Miami. That guy would drive a Bentley coupe.
    The average Acura driver probably lives in a cardboard and Tyvek McMansion in some tacky new development, stops at Starbucks for a coffee, then goes to his mundane job in an anonymous office park.

House and surroundings not all that opulent in commercial.

In a news clip on national tv a couple years ago, our U.S. Attorney General, Eric Holder, was seen in front of his house with an Acura TL 04-08 vintage. Seems that Mr Holder has quite an "above average" job, has a prestigious office and chooses to drive a TL.
    edited April 2013
    Nowhere near as lame as the ads by MB, BMW and some others that mysteriously have disappeared from TV. Those showing the cars sliding around on gravel or sand. Dumb. Nothing to aspire to in driving style. Nobody drives that way except perhaps top world drivers in real race cars in the WRC and similar rally-races. And, their driving style is purposeful. Not for a silly tv commercial.
    Notice he wakes up with no luxury wife beside him? Maybe she's already out shopping in her ML/RX etc, or she's ran off, leaving him with the played out "modern" house and a pile of bills. It's definitely a middle manager's car.

I suspect the 35 year old yuppie from 1985 in his 325i isn't lining up for the RLX in 2013.
    edited April 2013
    Get out of flyover country and check housing. A house like that in my zipcode, nicely sited and shown, would easily hit 7 figures. It would be similar in much of the west coast and from DC north, or even in the lush areas just northwest of Chicago. Boring modern houses are trendy now.

TL is kind of apples to oranges - not the top model, and the 04-08 was a clean design with usually reasonable prices. This new age RL looks like a 5:4 scale Accord, has enough headlights for 6 cars, a beak - and costs as much as the Germans. It has some interesting tech, but I don't know if they are going about this the best way.
    edited April 2013
    Funny, those lame ads sell. That's what it is all about, you know. A lot of people aspire to an active appearance, even with a dull car.

I've seen a silly MB ad within the past few days, one that starts with an orange car.
  • toomanyfumestoomanyfumes S.E. Wisconsin Posts: 903
    Anyone who hasn't seen Senna, it's well worth watching. It is available on Netflix.
  • toomanyfumestoomanyfumes S.E. Wisconsin Posts: 903
    I didn't know there was such a thing as "luxury sugar." Or was that a joke?
    That's worth owning, I'll buy that DVD.
    edited April 2013
    Looked like cubed brown sugar. Probably $38 a box at Whole Foods Paycheck.
    Sometimes I think that entire ad is meant to be sarcastic or ironic. But somehow, I think it is serious. Someone else suggested a better variant - guy is in a normal residence with boring normal things, then comes out to his "luxury" car, which makes everything else seem unimportant.

I think that's the raw sugar that takes forever to dissolve.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 15,064
    Thanks Lemko. Considering I own 3 of them (Acuras!) Though to be fair, 2 of them combined have over 1/3 of a million miles on them.

and I hate Coffee, and would never pay for starbucks.

And my mundane office cubicle is my guest room, since I WFH (though I still have a dismal cube back at the office...)

2013 Acura RDX (wife's) and 2007 Volvo S40 (mine)

• michaellnomichaellno Posts: 4,300
    And my mundane office cubicle is my guest room, since I WFH (though I still have a dismal cube back at the office...)

Ditto .. extra bedroom has been converted into a combination home office (for me) and craft room (for wife and daughter).

Why do you have a cube at the office? Seems like a waste of resources from the company's perspective.

and I hate Coffee, and would never pay for starbucks.

While I don't drink coffee, I do love the smell of it. Wife has a bit of a Starbucks addiction, even though we've got a Keurig machine at home.
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,688
    I bought the Senna BD, but haven't received it yet...

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica