Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Car Commercials, the good, the bad, and the annoying!

Comments

• andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,910
    House and surroundings not all that opulent in commercial.

Yeah, but when your sugar comes in little brown cubes roughly the color of my 2000 Park Ave, instead of a a ten-pound bag that says "Kirkland" or "Richfood" on it...THAT's luxury! :P

Funny thing is, I have a friend who's somewhat like that...with one exception. He's anything BUT car-conscious. He won't balk at paying $1,000 for a bike (my last bike came from WalMart about 14 years ago), and I doubt if it was $100), $100 for a dress shirt (I don't even know how much a dress shirt is "supposed" to cost, as I always get a few from my Mom and stepdad for Christmas, and she'll always buy them throughout the year, on sale, and then give them to me), buy the latest and greatest electronic crap on a whim, and so on. And, I don't know if it's "luxury", but I think his coffee maker was around $100 or so. We always buy the $20-25 model and when it breaks, to quote Eazy-E, say oh brutha, throw it in da gutter, and go buy anotha'. But, he doesn't even own a car.

You can sort of get away with no car in DC though. Heck, you could get away with it out here once upon a time, but they shut our branch of the WB&A down back in 1935, pulled up all the track in 1939, and sold it to the Japanese. :(

My grandmother's cousin, who was born in 1924 and lives next door to me, remembers riding the thing as a kid. There was a station just a few hundred feet up the road from where we live.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,184
    edited April 2013
    Went to lunch with my 50-something brother in law in Seattle a couple of days ago. He got his license (in southern California no less) but never drove again.

Last week we had lunch with two twenty-somethings in Chicago and neither of them drove.

And yeah, all three of these folks were checking their smartphones pretty frequently. Not only did we drive to Chicago, but we rented a car for a day in Seattle and have wheels available from friends at our next couple of stops.

What we've spent on the rental and gas would have paid for a two year subscription and an iPhone, so maybe they aren't all nuts. Just not car nuts.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,910
    I can't remember the last time I've seen that episode, but I remember watching it, first-run, with my grandparents. I liked how some appropriate classic rock/oldie song was playing on the radio, as he pushed the car onto screen. IIRC, the first one was to the tune of "Welcome back baby, to the poor side of town". And the final car, which actually moved under its own power, was to the tune of "I'm walkin'"
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 14,295
    technically I still work in the office, I just never go. And they haven't had to repo the cube yet. My boss wants to keep it anyway since some of us (often from out of the area) have to be in the office at different times, and it is a home base.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• fintailfintail Posts: 33,591
    That's the episode, been eons since I have seen it, but I remember the songs. I think there was a Pacer and Gremlin.

Oh, of course there was - best site ever
    And that's not bad. I won't complain about disinterested people not driving. Sadly, public transit is devolved to such a point in many areas, where there often isn't a choice.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 14,295
    I don't know if I should be excited or embarrassed, but I owned 2 of those cars. And not the good ones like the Mustang or BMW!

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• lemkolemko Posts: 15,154
    When he got the Gremlin he said, "I can almost pull this one!"
    The dumb Infiniti ad with the G catching up to F1 style cars to ask for directions is still airing. Shamefully lame.
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,381
    Another ad that makes the owners of the car look like clueless idiots...

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Bean counters probably told them they have to get more publicity from their F1 engines. But bean counters shouldn't design ads.
    This is fantastic:

http://youtu.be/bRoV6yuxz9U

Without even using the vehicles, they show the freedom and capability, and fun that it can entail. A home run. :shades:
    http://youtu.be/XNEbh7YrxOw

Neat.

Isn't an Exige roadster just an Elise? They've come full circle.
    Where are the guys running up the ramps at the gallery mall parking garage, around the Whole Foods parking lot, and into the parking barriers at the aesthetic maintenance center? :shades:
    edited May 2013
    Now that you mention it, the brand fits in with the whole "pay my $80 for six things and get the heck out".

:D

Reference:

http://youtu.be/2UFc1pr2yUU

Range Rover appears at 0:53.
    Too true. The one here looks like a lease return holding lot for Lexus and Audi.

Classic Range Rover no less, probably hubby's toy - princess wouldn't drive something so old or prone to unintended deceleration.
    Nah, it's junior's car by now.
    This one is getting good "in-house" reviews from our Live Advice team:

Old Spock battles New Spock in the greatest car commercial ever (io9.com)

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• michaellnomichaellno Posts: 4,300
    That Audi commercial is awesome! Laughed out loud several times.
    Good one....
    "Couldn't be done" - heritage ad that seems to be written by the late Dr Seuss:

http://youtu.be/xZjykPITuq0

Love it.

"Elements" is OK (I'm an AWD fan so the sliding around is OK):

http://youtu.be/dllq71ADpIU

"Why" must've been done by a former Volvo employee. I would like it more if Audi had aced the recent frontal crash test in to the pole:

http://youtu.be/wO8t3OjXhCQ

"LED" isn't much better than the Xmas one. It may be true but to me they're the modern day tail fin.

http://youtu.be/j-SQTIJxgL4

"Beauty" is meh.

http://youtu.be/C-r-OTJsdvo
    edited May 2013
    I like the heritage themed spot, as I have a weakness for those. I'd also pick a UR-Quattro over most any aging yuppiemobile or new trend for the old 3er driver Audi makes today (even if it would break weekly).

LED has now evolved from bars of bulbs to curved light tubes. Kind of like how fins went from nubs to extensions to wings. What's next?

A7 is the best looking thing Audi makes, so it makes sense that's what is shown.
    Saw a very mommy-minivan themed Pathfinder ad, which means the dumbing down is complete.

Also a funny Rogue spot claiming it is thousands cheaper than CRV or RAV4. Well yeah, it's also 754 years old.
    I've seen the new Impala "Classic" themed commercial a couple times today, not bad.
    Just saw an Audi A4 commercial that compares it to a UR Quattro. Um, not so fast.

Also the $429 lease deal advertised is pretty unspectacular.
    Sleepy, far north Vallejo, CA. Just up the road from Cicely, aka Roslyn WA.

Faux Fairbanks appears in new Volkswagen Beetle ad (Alaska Dispatch)

The annoying "Prius for everyone" song/spot is back, perfectly targeted at emotional bleeding-hearted women.
    "It's just a pretty normal little car."

"What, really? I thought it was supposed to be all kinds of sporty," she went on.

"Oh, you've been watching those commercials with the rally driver sliding the Dart all around, haven't you?"

"Well of course! It looks so cool."

2013 Dodge Dart SXT Rallye: Clever Advertising

Still hatin' the Scion ad (I love the comments on the youtube version, too).

Over the weekend, I was visiting my mother, watching TV, and an ad for a Juke appeared. My mother recoiled at the look of the car, and worst of all, the name. "What's a Juke, what's that supposed to mean?". I replied with "ever hear of a jukebox or a juke joint", to which she had no answer. Then I had to say "you drive a Camry, what does "Camry" mean? It's a made up word" :shades:

There's a Hyundai ad, maybe locally produced, that is the typical screamer garbage Hyunkia has been known for. "Say Yyyyyyeeessss to Hyundai!" - annoying.

I am irritated by commercials with whistling music too - Ford and Honda have them locally. Very shallow ploy made to put the anxious shopper at ease, IMO.