Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Car Commercials, the good, the bad, and the annoying!

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 47,543
    ...that is often tied to dealer ads for various 'classic cars" so utterly, mind-numbingly dreadful?

What's the message here? Could it be:

1. "You'll like my music better if I make it louder..."

2. " I promise to stop this music if you buy the car..."

Aside from this video being about as pleasant to listen to as a room full of screaming monkeys, notice the snappy outfit the guy is wearing---and sunglasses, too--a nice way to inspire confidence and trust.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2057Z1AqZwc

Hey, he's probably the nicest fellow in the world, but everything about this ad is exactly the opposite of how my VERY successful friend sells muscle cars.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• fintailfintail Posts: 35,478
    Older dinosaur rock fans who have access to simple video editing software, probably. Unfortunately, it seems to mix well with a lot of the customer base for those cars.
    Perhaps you're right. It sort of matches the awful music you hear at swap meets and local car shows -- 8 hours of continous doo-wop. :cry: You know, there WAS good music in the 60s and 70s.

edited June 2013
    Doo-wop works for a 57 Skyliner or a 60 Impala, but maybe not for a Road Runner. Sometimes car show music is out of place like costumes can be at shows - like you've mentioned, flapper girls and men in straw hats in a 38 Packard doesn't work.

I like to listen to oldies in the fintail, and take anything from about 1959 through 1969 in that car, but anything older or newer seems out of place. The Christine effect and all :shades:
    Ferrari Commercial---a bit noisy so watch your volume.

Oh, momma!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmGPQLdPtvA

• lemkolemko Posts: 15,276
    Saw a silly ad for the Fiat 500 with Paul Revere declaring "The Italians are coming!"
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 44,881
    edited June 2013
    Maybe the music is royalty free or some cheap packaged stuff.

Paul Revere started out in Boise so I used to see news about him every year or so.

Moderator - Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Posts: 4,214
    Love that one!

aside from the subtle racism of the times, not bad. The VW Beetle ad is near-brilliant:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCWNrMbzPsc

edited August 2013
    Local Kia dealer commercial: "If you bring home $250/week, credit approval is guaranteed"....that should work out well.
  • tmarttmart Spring, TXPosts: 1,049
    Awesome video!
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,276
    I was in the kitchen making a sandwich, but heard a commercial on TV advertising an Infiniti Q50. Is the Q coming back?
    Yep, someone on Answers was asking about it a couple of weeks ago.

• michaellnomichaellno Posts: 4,300
    I was in the kitchen making a sandwich, but heard a commercial on TV advertising an Infiniti Q50. Is the Q coming back?

In its infinite (!) wisdom, Infiniti is rebadging every vehicle in its lineup and they all begin with the letter "Q".

Q50 is the old G37 (however, the G37 will still be available as a 'loss leader')
    QX60 is the old JX35
    QX80 is the old QX56

Everything else will switch over to the new nomenclature over the next year or two.
    Qurious.

edited August 2013
    Qdumb naming change.

But the old G37 will probably be a lease bargain.
  • nortdnortd Posts: 13
    I am not good at computer how to....but...you tube has the new Kia hamster ad...a must see
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 8,567
    I've seen the follow up to the 2012 Super Bowl ad and really like it.

Ahab
    I dunno, I kinda liked the old fat Hamsters better--easier for me to identify with!

• tmarttmart Spring, TXPosts: 1,049
    I agree, I prefer the "old" hamsters. Their new heads remind me a lot of Joe Camel.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I'm glad the creative folks pushed this through...

http://youtu.be/nLwML2PagbY
  • Don't know what it was like for others, but in Boston it was like the "Battle of the Diesels". They must've aired a half dozen BMW Diesel commercials and the Audi "Gas Station Freak-out" commercial 5 more times during the game.
    expensive orchestra!

Neat, but I'd seen an F1 video where they did the whole song with one engine, and that was even cooler.

The Benz chicken video went viral - 4 million + hits.
    The MB spot is a good one, I have to say, simple and maybe a little dorky, but memorable. A rare event to find a car ad that isn't somehow annoying.
    They created a buzz without even showing the active suspension it's supposed to promote.

Remember the Williams in F1?

http://youtu.be/7AME4v3qZkc

As soon as Senna signed with Williams they banned it. Nobody could have kept up with him.