Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Car Commercials, the good, the bad, and the annoying!

Comments

• xrunner2xrunner2 Posts: 3,062
    Nice commercial last night on the big game. The Hyundai Turbo with man/woman (husband/wife) and look on woman's face when they are approaching disgusting vehicles. And a driver too, in case of early part of commercial where they come upon a motorcycle with unique exhaust pipes and a largish guy showing a part of his lower back. Hyundai made good case for having a turbo to get around these creepy vehicles and their drivers.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    When you looked up you saw a bunch of lights, a big Benz logo in the middle, and then lights out on the other side.

PA-DIDDLE! :D
    I'd seen it, but the kids laughed hard when they saw the dogs slobbering.

The Kia one with the babies dropping out of the sky was funny, and they found a way to get Uvo into the commercial.

I thought the Tide commercial with the Joe Montana stain stole the show, though.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 14,172
    the Montana one was funny.

I also liked the Taco Bell one with the geezers breaking out of the home, and burning rubber in the '71 or so Plymouth.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

Yeah my kids were cracking up at that one.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,012
    Edmunds was twitting non-stop during the Super Bowl. Some interesting tidbits:

More consideration lifts on @Edmunds thru kickoff: @Chevrolet Silverado 1500 (+10%), @Hyundai Genesis (+830%) and Santa Fe (+212%)

@Hyundai's pre-game and 1Q presence led to a big boost of brand consideration (+201%) on http://Edmunds.com #SuperBowlAds

Toyota RAV4's ad ran near the end of Q1, and the car saw a 250% lift in consideration on @Edmunds during Q2.

@Audi S6's vehicle consideration spiked 73 percent on http://Edmunds.com during the 4th quarter. #brandbowl

"The big winner -- at least in terms of immediate interest -- was Hyundai, which saw a 738% increase in traffic to Edmunds.com pages about its Santa Fe model after the company's ad hit the air."

Hyundai wins Super Bowl auto ad wars (CNN Money)

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• fintailfintail Posts: 33,509
    Yet Audi, an electrical issue king, sent out the twitty tweet :shades: Maybe just jealous that MB has made so much money that they can put their name on something like that.

A commercial I have seen that made me laugh was the Sorento ad where the guy exits the car through the rear hatch. Although my laugh might not be what is intended, as the car is a loaded model, I am thinking that someone laid down 30K+ on a Sorento.
    edited February 2013
    Do people actually "consider" cars via superbowl ads, or is that just marketing shtick? Aging Genesis up 800+% via a pretty loose ad? Sounds weird.
    I am thinking that someone laid down 30K+ on a Sorento

That is not a lot of money nowadays.

30k is about what you'll spend just on options on european 3 row lux SUVs.

The Buick Enclave we liked was over $46 grand. Prius V was $36k. Q7 was {CENSORED}. :D
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,744
    edited February 2013
    Maybe just jealous that MB has made so much money that they can put their name on something like that.

Maybe they prefer to own a team rather than just paying to slap their name of an aging facility. :P

I can understand MB paying naming rights for the Superdome. It gets the Superbowl everty 5-7 years and that attracts the largest single game audience in the world. And their sponsorship in F1 and PGA golf fits right in with their target market.

VW does their sports marketing a little differently. They own Vfl Wolfsburg - a soccer/football team as well as the stadium they play in. They are the shirt sponsors of DC United, the Sligo Rovers of the Irish Premier League and Puebla FC in Liga MX. The have the naming rights to a soccer team and their stadium in Soweto SA, are the "official" car of MLS and have other various deals in other sports. They seem to do smaller deals that reach more people more often.

I didn't see the Audi tweet. Anyone have a link?
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,012
    edited February 2013
    Do people actually "consider" cars via superbowl ads, or is that just marketing shtick?

Yesterday when the ads ran, someone back in the home office would watch the traffic and measure the brand spikes and tweeted about the numbers.

So, the ads generated interest, maybe in cars people hadn't thought about before, and they hit the net to research them. Who knows if they'll buy a Genesis, but more people got their interest whetted.

Looks like AutoTrader got similar results by the way.

I think you can go to Twitter and enter @audi or whatever to get to those tweets. Oh, entering https://twitter.com/Audi should work.

Just don't ask me if marketing works. :D

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Let's say 35K on the road. For a Sorento. The value equation is eroding.
    VW owns Wolfsburg (which isn't where Audis are built, of course). Kind of an apples to oranges comparison there when Audi is the key.

Here's a story about the tweet
    So it is just raw numbers of a word used in a tweet? Hard to call that "consider", but then again, all of us who have studied at least a modest amount of statistics should remember the three types of lies :shades:

If I sent out a tweet mocking something, it sounds like that would be considered "interest" or "consider"ing too. Ad creatives trying to defend their work, more like.
    Maybe if you opt for every single option in the book. It does offer 3 rows, a DI V6, panoramic moonroof, etc. So it's what I'd call a "complete" family car, nothing is missing unless you need a lux badge.

We looked at a loaded Pathfinder that was $45,620.

If Kia can do that same for roughly $10 grand less, there's still value there.
    I dunno...I "built my own" and checked every box. 42k+, and that's not on the road (WA tax 9%+, paperwork, etc). It might cheaper than some competition, but only marginally so.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,150
    I didn't watch the game, so I just watched them here on Edmunds. The Benz Willem Defoe ad is by far my favorite, followed by the "where do babies come from." Interestingly enough, I remember that the Benz ad was for a Benz, but I have no idea what the babies ad was for. It was an SUV, that's about all I can tell ya.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

edited February 2013
    OK, let's see, SX is the bling bling chrome wannabe gangsta package so cross that off your list right off the bat.

EX V6 AWD, plus Premium and Limited packages, so you have Pano, heated leather, Navi, backup cam, and I'm at $35,850 with freight.

You'll probably deal down to around $32k if you have any negotiating skills at all. Edit: $31,891 per TrueCar, and that's just an average deal.

MD tax is 6%, so I'm out of there still nicely loaded for under $34k. Still room to buy 2 iPads so each kid has one, and I'm still under $35k with rear seat entertainment.

In a Pathfinder that number would start with a 4.

Ody Touring Elite is $45 grand.

I think you're going through the same sticker shock that I had a year ago, when I priced loaded Explorers and Durangos at $49k, and an Equinox compact near $40k.
    You didn't see the baby parachute in to the Kia Sorento's gigantic moonroof?

Man, and I thought that was cool product placement for the panoramic option.
    Well, we're talking top of the line vs top of the line, and no substituting a hand held device for an option on another. Nothing gets crossed off. I do imagine there is some easy negotiating on the high models, if they exist much at all (I don't know if I have ever seen one on the road). Point is, the difference isn't as huge as some might imply.

I am lucky I won't really have that sticker shock, as I don't intend to do any mommymobile shopping anytime soon :shades: I can get a hell of a lot of car for ~40K.