Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Car Commercials, the good, the bad, and the annoying!

Comments

• fintailfintail Posts: 33,515
    edited April 2013
    Get out of flyover country and check housing. A house like that in my zipcode, nicely sited and shown, would easily hit 7 figures. It would be similar in much of the west coast and from DC north, or even in the lush areas just northwest of Chicago. Boring modern houses are trendy now.

TL is kind of apples to oranges - not the top model, and the 04-08 was a clean design with usually reasonable prices. This new age RL looks like a 5:4 scale Accord, has enough headlights for 6 cars, a beak - and costs as much as the Germans. It has some interesting tech, but I don't know if they are going about this the best way.
    edited April 2013
    Funny, those lame ads sell. That's what it is all about, you know. A lot of people aspire to an active appearance, even with a dull car.

I've seen a silly MB ad within the past few days, one that starts with an orange car.
  • toomanyfumestoomanyfumes S.E. Wisconsin Posts: 894
    Anyone who hasn't seen Senna, it's well worth watching. It is available on Netflix.
  • toomanyfumestoomanyfumes S.E. Wisconsin Posts: 894
    I didn't know there was such a thing as "luxury sugar." Or was that a joke?
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    That's worth owning, I'll buy that DVD.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    edited April 2013
    Looked like cubed brown sugar. Probably $38 a box at Whole Foods Paycheck.
    Sometimes I think that entire ad is meant to be sarcastic or ironic. But somehow, I think it is serious. Someone else suggested a better variant - guy is in a normal residence with boring normal things, then comes out to his "luxury" car, which makes everything else seem unimportant.

I think that's the raw sugar that takes forever to dissolve.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 14,174
    Thanks Lemko. Considering I own 3 of them (Acuras!) Though to be fair, 2 of them combined have over 1/3 of a million miles on them.

and I hate Coffee, and would never pay for starbucks.

And my mundane office cubicle is my guest room, since I WFH (though I still have a dismal cube back at the office...)

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• michaellnomichaellno Posts: 4,300
    And my mundane office cubicle is my guest room, since I WFH (though I still have a dismal cube back at the office...)

Ditto .. extra bedroom has been converted into a combination home office (for me) and craft room (for wife and daughter).

Why do you have a cube at the office? Seems like a waste of resources from the company's perspective.

and I hate Coffee, and would never pay for starbucks.

While I don't drink coffee, I do love the smell of it. Wife has a bit of a Starbucks addiction, even though we've got a Keurig machine at home.
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,305
    I bought the Senna BD, but haven't received it yet...

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,853
    House and surroundings not all that opulent in commercial.

Yeah, but when your sugar comes in little brown cubes roughly the color of my 2000 Park Ave, instead of a a ten-pound bag that says "Kirkland" or "Richfood" on it...THAT's luxury! :P

Funny thing is, I have a friend who's somewhat like that...with one exception. He's anything BUT car-conscious. He won't balk at paying $1,000 for a bike (my last bike came from WalMart about 14 years ago), and I doubt if it was $100), $100 for a dress shirt (I don't even know how much a dress shirt is "supposed" to cost, as I always get a few from my Mom and stepdad for Christmas, and she'll always buy them throughout the year, on sale, and then give them to me), buy the latest and greatest electronic crap on a whim, and so on. And, I don't know if it's "luxury", but I think his coffee maker was around $100 or so. We always buy the $20-25 model and when it breaks, to quote Eazy-E, say oh brutha, throw it in da gutter, and go buy anotha'. But, he doesn't even own a car.

You can sort of get away with no car in DC though. Heck, you could get away with it out here once upon a time, but they shut our branch of the WB&A down back in 1935, pulled up all the track in 1939, and sold it to the Japanese. :(

My grandmother's cousin, who was born in 1924 and lives next door to me, remembers riding the thing as a kid. There was a station just a few hundred feet up the road from where we live.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,021
    edited April 2013
    Went to lunch with my 50-something brother in law in Seattle a couple of days ago. He got his license (in southern California no less) but never drove again.

Last week we had lunch with two twenty-somethings in Chicago and neither of them drove.

And yeah, all three of these folks were checking their smartphones pretty frequently. Not only did we drive to Chicago, but we rented a car for a day in Seattle and have wheels available from friends at our next couple of stops.

What we've spent on the rental and gas would have paid for a two year subscription and an iPhone, so maybe they aren't all nuts. Just not car nuts.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,853
    I can't remember the last time I've seen that episode, but I remember watching it, first-run, with my grandparents. I liked how some appropriate classic rock/oldie song was playing on the radio, as he pushed the car onto screen. IIRC, the first one was to the tune of "Welcome back baby, to the poor side of town". And the final car, which actually moved under its own power, was to the tune of "I'm walkin'"
    technically I still work in the office, I just never go. And they haven't had to repo the cube yet. My boss wants to keep it anyway since some of us (often from out of the area) have to be in the office at different times, and it is a home base.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

That's the episode, been eons since I have seen it, but I remember the songs. I think there was a Pacer and Gremlin.

Oh, of course there was - best site ever
    And that's not bad. I won't complain about disinterested people not driving. Sadly, public transit is devolved to such a point in many areas, where there often isn't a choice.
    I don't know if I should be excited or embarrassed, but I owned 2 of those cars. And not the good ones like the Mustang or BMW!

• lemkolemko Posts: 15,121
    When he got the Gremlin he said, "I can almost pull this one!"
    The dumb Infiniti ad with the G catching up to F1 style cars to ask for directions is still airing. Shamefully lame.
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,305
    Another ad that makes the owners of the car look like clueless idiots...

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica