Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008 Honda Civic

Comments

• backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,710
    Your price on the Elantra is incorrect, the SE with leather and moonroof package is $18,795, so that is about a $2000 difference MSRP to MSRP. But typically Elantras have at least a $1000 rebate. They don't have one now because the 2008s are rare, but once the 2007s are gone the rebates will be back. The rebate on the 2007s ranges from $1000-2000 depending on location. So the real difference is more like $3000-4000. I think that is significant, especially since the Elantra includes ESC.
  • Your price on the Elantra is incorrect, the SE with leather and moonroof package is $18,795, so that is about a $2000 difference MSRP to MSRP.

I pulled the Elantra prices off of the edmunds site for a 2008 Elantra.

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2008/hyundai/elantra/100913168/options.html?action=1&- - x=36&y=16

It says $17,225 base and $1,950 for leather---that equals $19,175.

I don't know anything about rebates that may or may not be offered.
  • k5ldbk5ldb Posts: 50
    I guess it's regional but in Houston the SE with leather package and floor mats is $19,880 MSRP so it's not far from that magic $20k mark either. Cars aren't cheap any more and a loaf of bread isn't 4 bits anymore either.
    You are comparing an Elantra with automatic to a stick Civic--not an apples-to-apples comparison. As someone else noted, the list price on the EX-L with automatic is $21,345. Be sure also to include destination (non-negotiable) when you compare prices. Just as you should include rebates that are available to all buyers.
  • k5ldbk5ldb Posts: 50
    My bad. I clicked the wrong one. Soooo, manual trans, leather, and floor mats and got $18,880. Still pretty well up there and with poorer resale value.
  • You are comparing an Elantra with automatic to a stick Civic--not an apples-to-apples comparison.

Absolutely not! I compared both cars with automatic and without destination charges. However, if you want me to add in destination I can as follows:

Elantra:

MSRP: $17,225
    Destination: $620
    Leather Option: $1.950
    Total: $19,795

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2008/hyundai/elantra/100913168/optionsresults.html?ac- tion=2

Only incentive listed on edmunds is $500 to military personnel only! No rebate or incentive listed for general public.

Civic EX-L

MSRP: $20,710
    Destination: $635
    Total: $21,345

http://automobiles.honda.com/tools/build-price/trims.asp?SERIES=2&SERIESNAME=Civ- ic%20Sedan&YEAR=2008

Difference: $1,550. NOT Thousands and Thousands as was previously stated!
  • kyotekyote Posts: 28
    I have had my 08 less than a week and already have 1200 miles on it. Sure do like it! :shades:
    Did you read my earlier post, re the rarity of the 2008s right now, and that when the 2007s are gone the rebates on the Elantra will reappear, and that they typically range from $1000-2000 (that's what they are right now on the 2007s)? And those are available to all buyers. Feel free to deduct from the Civic prices any rebates that are available to all buyers.
  • Did you read my earlier post, re the rarity of the 2008s right now, and that when the 2007s are gone the rebates on the Elantra will reappear, and that they typically range from $1000-2000

Yes, I read that in your earlier post. But unless you work for the Hyundai marketing department and can state exactly when the rebate will begin and end, you're just speculating about what they'll do with the 2008 model.

My calculations weren't based on any speculation--just present day factual numbers.
  • Your price for a 2008 Civic EX-L with automatic (if that is included in the price you quote) is also incorrect. It is: $21,345 so that is indeed thousands less. Using your original Elantra figures which, according to backy, is incorrect too and my figure which is directly from the window sticker...the difference is $2170 = thousands.
    Thanks for your advice about selling the Civic I believe I will. And for your information there can be other viable choices,other than HONDA, in the current automobile market place. Many are as good as or better than the Civic but you just don't know it yet. For your further information, used Hyundai prices are increasing steadily as well. Honda still has an edge there but with the recent lapse in quality (in my experience) once word of that gets out...well. Ah, I forgot there are lots of zelots who will buy them regardless.
    Yes, I am speculating but it is based on eight years of history on Hyundai's pattern of rebates on the Elantra. It is possible that rebates will not reappear on the Elantra, but history and current market dynamics tell us they will.
  • Then there are those like my dad who haven't had a single problem (not even a rattle or creak in his 2007 after 26k miles) who will continue buying because they like the car's character and features.
  • Your price for a 2008 Civic EX-L with automatic (if that is included in the price you quote) is also incorrect. It is: $21,345 so that is indeed thousands less.

Targettuning---

$21,345 includes destination. When I did the calculations in post #63, I didn't include destination for EITHER vehicle.

When backy had me include destination charges for both vehicles, I used the $21,345 in post#69, but I also added $620 for the Elantra destination.

Guess what? The difference was $1,550 which is still not the thousands you claim!

In post #69, I posted links to the sources where I obtained all of my numbers. Don't just SAY my prices are incorrect. Post links with the PROOF.

You can't do it because I am completely accurate. And your original statement that the Elantra is thousands less than a comparable Civic is completely INACCURATE.
  • At least we're not splitting hairs or anything ;)
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    But at least we're not talking about benchmarks here! ;)
  • Talk about the benchmark of a bad thread. I've moved on to the full-size thread until the midsize guys quit with the sales numbers and benchmark talk.
  • I will add this and be done with this bit. The only reason why there is so much talk now concerning Hyundai is because they are really proving that they are back to make heads turn and give competitors some worry. Are they accomplishing that-Yes. I am a Chevy guy in the market for a new Hyundai Elantra and yes I like the Hondas, Mazdas, etc..
    Its like this with everything consumers buy when competition comes along and its good and honest people worry and talk and give there own opinions weather right or wrong.
    A big big thing Hyundai has done and don't forget even with the older models of hyundai from 15-20 years ago they were learning & growing to be better as they have proved over this period to now. In the end one is going to buy what he/she wants regardless of others. My hard earned money and what I want for my money falls under Hyundai. Enjoy ladies and gents.
  • Try posting this in the Economy Sedans $16k-$20k board, you'll get a lot more responses. This forum is Civic-only I believe. Competition is great; its what drives the class forward, but you'll find a lot more willing conversations in that board than I think you will here.

Heck, I'll be one of the first to join ya there!
  • drfilldrfill Posts: 2,484
    Not to be disagreeable (but that's just the kind of guy I am), but if Hyundai is so hot, and competitors are so worried, why are Elantra and Sonata sales down 10-20%?

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2007/09/04/060897.html

The company's sales have leveled off, or FALLEN for two years now. Why? :confuse:

The line-up is all-new, even with new models added, sales won't increase.

I think Honda and Toyota are as safe as the Mona Lisa. :blush:

DrFill
  • Much of it is due to the fact that Hyundai ran a campaign of getting as many butts in the seats as possible to see that they were better than they once were (they are). The problem with that is that it meant over 40% of Sonatas went to fleet sales. Now they are not pushing fleet sales so much, and their sales numbers are falling (and resale is poor).

Again, this isn't a Hyundai forum, we should probably take this elsewhere.
    Should be relegated to the outer limits of this site. Agreed. ;)

DrFill
    But we are all glad to see a Toyota sales rep join this discussion about the 2008 Civic. What do you think about it? Sure knocks the socks off the 'ol Corolla, doesn't it?
    One, I am no sales rep for any maker.

Two, the Honda Civic is a very fine automobile, but Corolla can be sold easily enough against it, as the market has shown. ;)

But that is for another forum.

DrFill
  • I knew I was posting under the Honda Civic but I was responding to a earlier post.

Now, I have no beef, chicken, ham etc with any car makes/models I was expressing really how far Hyundai has come and knowing they have been here for awhile-improving. As said before I like Mazdas, Hondas, Acuras, etc.. but I can't own them all. The number of sells with Hyundai means little to me as they have just transition and moved here (USA,Alabama) and it will take time and I also know they have been here for a few years now. I do not bash other makes as a lot of people do I just stated how Hyundai is way way different from the 1990s. Thanks for the posts fellas.
    OK, hope you are enjoying your new job, whatever that is.
  • eldainoeldaino Posts: 1,618
    backster i lol'd at that one! ;)

anywho, i don't think that the obvious price advantage hyundai used to have with the elantra exists anymore, as pricing it on their website suprised me totally.

i think its a nice car, but i still prefer the civic, for its handling prowress, steering feel, fuel economy, resale value, and upscale looks.

while hyundai has done the rebate thing in the past, its still a moot point, we are talking about msrps here not what we could potentially get the car for. there is no GUARANTEE that you will get a rebate. and remember, while the civic isn't a horrendously discounted car, people have gotten it for much less than msrp.

Targettunning: your experience only proves that that its possible to get a lemon with any car company. i'm a honda fan, but no zealot, and i wouldn't commend my car if it had subpar build quality;...

...but i also wouldn't tag the whole honda brand on just MY experience. I had a great experience with my vw, many others have not. Does that make vw the most relaible company ever. not by a longshot.

those zealots are zealots for a reason. ;)
  • eldainoeldaino Posts: 1,618
    i too am glad that they included leather, some people want a classy, high mileage car thats fun to drive, without it being a 12k econobox.

with regards to honda's 'overpricing'.

anyone ever realize that mazda and nissan are guilty of it too? its not just honda who charges you a small premium over other companies for stuff. (this is to echo grad's post with regards to having a mazda 3 that goes well over the 22k pricepoint.)
  • I purchased my 08 EX-L Sedan about a week ago at invoice price. I'm the type that wanted a smaller, fuel efficient car, but still wanted a lot of options and a little luxury. I was spoiled with my first leather vehicle with heated seats a few years back and I want to stick with them. However, the 34mpg from the first tank on this car is a nice new feature that I have not had on my past vehicles. I was surprised and happy to pay invoice for the new model year and first civic with leather. The extra $1200 for leather, heated seats, and heated mirrors is actually a value compared to those options on other cars.
  • Wow, you got invoice on a 2008 with leather. That's great! I didn't think they'd be discounting them that much at the beginning.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Congrats! Thanks for sharing in the Prices Paid discussion. Hope you'll stop by the Dealer Ratings & Review page and give us your critique of the dealership. :)
This discussion has been closed.