Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen Golf Transmission Troubles

2»

Comments

• Hi, I have the same problem. Tried out a 2004 VW GOlf FSI Comfortline automatic (in Australia), approx 70,000ks; after a few ks, it was as if I was driving a manual, and putting the clutch in as well as accelerator down; high revs and no power; happens intermittently, and more often when under acceleration from lights etc. Very clunky in shifting down. Is this problem fixable? What would lead to such a problem in an otherwise beautifully running car?
  • iggy8niggy8n Posts: 1
    It sounds like the shifter linkage is worn out or misaligned. I'd look down at the top of the transmission and look at the mechanism that moves you from one gear to another. There are plastic and metal pieces there that can bend or wear out.
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    Are you aware you responded to a post which was more than four years old? I'm thinking by now the problem has long since been fixed.
  • Hi I have exactly the same problem this evening with my golf. Did you ever work out the solution. is it the clutch plate. I have no idea and not sure what the repair cost is going to be. Any info would be well received mate.

Cheers
    H
  • irqkrqirqkrq Posts: 2
    Well, Mate

I got bad news for you. Your guess is right. It probably is the clutch. When I had this problem it cost me 1300 USD to have the dealer repair it. Others in town didn't have parts to it, or were going to purchase it from the dealer also, so their quotes were similar. I was told it's an assembly, plate, wieght, and some other parts. The explanation I got is: that the clutch is electronic not a traditional cable so it's a complex job. It's not warranted since it's considered a wear and tear item like a brake pad or tires.

Good luck
  • Hey everyone,
    my sister and her friend are touring NZ in a vw golf 1998 automatic
    the owner is my sisters friend Courtney, they have always had trouble with the car eg abs light never turns off, the brakes occasionally kinda graunchs.
    but the most recent problem is the car isnt selecting a gear at all, my sister has been driving it as its a manual as in 1st , 2nd, 3rd drive
    every now and then it will work properly but it seems to bunny hop, kinda like the automatic clutch is letting out to early.
    They took it to a mechanic and they said it needs to have a new air filter sensor which is 300 dollars, i don't know alot about vw but i don't know if that's really the problem
    if anyone can help it would be really appreciated
    cheers timcloake
  • Dears
    I Have Golf 4 1999 , It Had transmission Gearbox problems 2 years ago,I replaced Whole GearBox kit,then same gearbox failed again 1 week ago,that I replaced with another New/used gearbox that Had reverse problem,solved after replacing with another Gearbox,these cars have nanufacturing defect,after passing the 100000 Miles , the gearbox starts giving failure ,sensor,and other parts,should be replaced as a kit to avoid wasting money like i did , replacing part after the other
    Take Car
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Posts: 4,080
    I have put nearly a million miles on VW manual xmissions.... they are world renowned for having nearly 'perfect' shift feel. Never had any problems whatsoever... never even wore out a clutch!

For long-term driving with lowest maintenance, an automatic xmission is not the right choice. Too many moving parts, too much maintenance and lower MPG as compared to manual xmission.
  • lostwrench1lostwrench1 Ct.Posts: 432
    I agree. I put 289,000 miles on my 1980 Rabbit's manual transmission with no problems and the original clutch.
2»