Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Isuzu Trooper Transmission Problems

Comments

• Did you ever get your 2001 Trooper Transmission Fix. I have the same problem. Please reply
  • varmitvarmit Posts: 1,125
    i just bought a 99 trooper auto 4x4 that wont move in any forward gears, works good in reverse. never rebuilt a transmission. is it worth trying?
  • Did you ever get any information on this? I'm having the same problem with my 2000 Trooper.

Thanks!
  • I had the transmission checked by comnputer. It was a speed sensor on the front drive shaft. This help the Torque On Demand system function. The Check light still blink but the trooper works fine. To replace the sensor it costs $699.00 Just don't use the TOD system. If you want 4 wheel drive just use the shifter. By the way the rear shaft has a speed sensor too. I think that if it goes bad, the transmission may not work. Finally make sure you battery and alternater is working. This transmission shifts electrically so if you don't have power it will not shift. 166,000 miles and still pulling a trailer. I hope this helps
  • I bought a 2001 isuzu trooper limited edition after 6 month transmission started slipping took it to garage they but another transmission in drove it 3 months did the same thing was under warranty so they but another in since oct they have had my car but the 4 th one in yesterday called me this morning said he got it towed to get the computer reset I loved the car but now I am beginning to hate it he is not charging me any extra this time he but remanafactured in has any ever had this problem before help
  • Firstly, the Torque-Converter on these things is essentially made of cardboard. When replacing select the $100 upgrade to a Carbon-Fiber-Mesh Converter, saves alot of BS.

Secondly, your transmission (other than the T-C) is not going to cause the shudders necessarily, in fact the odds are 1:5000. But...let's move on.

Lastly, those same symptoms are associated with a dirty EGR Valve, Aged-out spark plugs and a cracked intake manifold gasket. The primary culprit is a cracked gasket. These Troopers have aluminum blocks which heat up & cool down fast. So the gasket is the first to go under these conditions. Todays gaskets are all of superior quality and will permanently fix the problem. However, most shops will NOT clean the Intake manifold or Plenum (Joining apparatus) thoroughly and , hence, the symptoms will eventually return. So be sure to clean the parts thoroughly!

In general, not only must you replace the gaskets, clean the manifold and surround internal components but you also must clean the EGR valve assembly along with the pathway components near to it. Incidentally, you should replace the fuel injector O-rings and the Thermostat since you or the technician will be right there anyway.

It's true that the spark plug brand, type and other specs are critical to keeping this Trooper running smooth. The system actually uses the plugs to read the combustion factor. The surrounding sensors behave as a single unit so the plugs are very important. The EGR Valve is simply a tiny recirculating motor for the exhaust. It is of poor design and effects the idle, mileage and mostly low-end performance of the engine. Replacing, rather than cleaning is highly recommended. In doing so be sure to clean inside the seat before installing the new one with a fresh gasket as well as gasket adhesive for this and the manifold gaskets.
  • Hi Trooper experts, I have a 2000 Trooper 3.5L 4x4 automatic tranny that seems to have a loud clicking sound when I put it in Drive mode. The tranny doesn't slip and drive okay, but what could be the problem. Is this something an average joe can fix or should I take it to the mechanic. Any feedback would be very helpful. THANKS... :)
  • If it's a TOD, or even if it's not the clicking is a clear sign of DAMAGE. Sounds like it's not the torque converter, it's the transmission itself (obviously). These GM transmissions are actually undersized for the Trooper. An overhaul is in your future my friend.
  • lemon19lemon19 Posts: 8
    edited January 2012
    hey boys and girls, have a 2000 Trooper 4x4 3.5L w/ TOD thats making a loud clicking noise when gears are engage. Where would i find the transmission pump or the filter on the tranny.?. Also what are those two hose line that runs to the radiator.?. Is that for cooling the tranny fluid. How can i check if fluid is circulating.
  • What do you mean by the torque converter? Now i'm starting to hear that clicking noise when the engine is engage to the tranny. I recently did a engine swamp, was there something i have to do with the torque converter before installing?. Also i forgot to mention that one of the hose that runs to the raditor had a small leak so i was leaking fluid. Which is now fix and added more fluid. drive it for about a month and now this clicking sound.
  • First trooper in 1996 and now drive a drive a 2002 trooper. Have had to replace tran. on each vehicle. There is guy in denver co. that makes special torque converters for that engine. You should put an aftermarket tran. cooler on it to keep it it cooler, as they run hot and burn up easily. Best western transmissions on north side of colorado springs, co knows how to get one.
  • A torque converter is a virtual clutch for automatic transmissions. Aside from the transmission itself it's the only component that will make noise other than the engine. A clicking sounds like it's low on oil and that the valves are without oil. I say that because you just got a new engine and sometimes, for whatever reason initial oil level seems to be an issue with new engines.
    Clicking in Drive only is practically a mandatory trip to the mechanic. I know..
  • I thought I would share this. After pulling the fuel tank on my 2002 Trooper to check the fuel pump, I noticed almost 2" of silt. Apparently 4-wheeling in relatively deep water will penetrate the top of the tank and allow large amount of water/silt to enter. The silt had made it past the fuel pump, filter and was headed down the fuel line. After solvent flushing the lines, replacing the fuel rail, pump, filter and all 6 injectors...Problem solved. Somebody Please...learn from this disaster. Luckily I got 6 rebuilt fuel injectors for $150 delivered!!! at fuelinjectorwarehouse.com
  • You guys been very helpful. So do i need a new tranny or could i just replace the torqoue converter only. because it drives fine just, doesnt slip gears or anything. also would it be better to rebuild or should i take the used route. dont want to invest anymore money.
  • Go to Cottman transmissions. They are a franchise nationwide and more reputable than most. They also do complex repairs. In any event rebuilds are less expensive generally. In both cases the new components will be superior and will offer some sort of warranty which sounds better than what it really is. Good luck!
  • If the torque convertor is bad, can i just change it out. Would the tranny need to be rebuild as well, even if it runs good and doesnt slip any gears. (Trooper 4x4 3.5L 2000). Any suggestion would be very helpful. Thanks...
  • My heater fan stopped blowing,alt dial went wide open,dash panel lights lite up. Than the transmission would change straight out in drive. Now the transmission shifts straight out low drive to high drive. Disconnected battery over night to resit computer. Shortly all display lights came on, alternate dial went to full charge,battery light came on. Trans continues to shift straight from low drive to high drive. Really have to ramp up the engine RPM to operate.????Tks
  • It sounds as though your Trooper's computer is shot. This happens if you accidentally switch the battery cables---it fries the system. All the symptoms point to this problem.
  • I purchased a new battery 2 years ago. the battery cables have not been off until i removed the postive cable last week to reset the system. Tks for the reply.
  • glen1002glen1002 Posts: 1
    I have a 97 trooper that has a 4wd light blinking.. when in 4hi the car has little pull going up a hill until it kicks into second gear and shifts well afterwards but in 4wd low car will pull but loud popping noises from the front axle areas.. please help.. please help.....