Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Liberty Heating Ventilation and A/C

zoecozoeco Posts: 18
I have an '03 liberty and I need to have the ac recharged. Is it worth and feasible to charge it myself with a kit from the auto parts store or is it better to take it in to have the work done? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, and Jeep on!!

Comments

• jayriderjayrider Posts: 3,262
    If your a/c needs to be recharged then you have a leak somewhere. Just because your a/c isn't working, doesn't mean it's low on refrigerant.

Take it to a qualified shop that does auto a/c and get it diagnosed and fixed. Just a suggestion.
  • zoecozoeco Posts: 18
    So, even if the ac is working, but just isn't as cold as it used to be that can be an indication of a leak? And, I don't mean to sound stupid, but with my other vehicles, when the air stopped blowing as coldy as before, I usually took it in to have the refrigerant refilled. I hope I don't have a leak, but thanks for the info just the same.
    It might be that simple but it might be something related to the switches that turn the compressor on and off, could be the compressor itself [expensive] -- there are lots of possible problems but if I'm not mistaken, new procedures at licensed shops require the system to be totally evacuated and refilled. Maybe wrong on that but just topping it off may not be an option without a diagnostic check. You might check edmunds.com for technical service bulletins related to a/c in 03 liberty's. Good luck. The a/c in my 03 is awsome---yours should be as well.
  • Help.... my motor is overheating when idle. Have not turned on a/c in 2 weeks, it seems to overheat the motor. Is this a thermostat problem? Anyone out there with this problem? No recall for 2003 on this issue. Only 2006 & 2007 have the overheating due to a/c problem.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    We're consolidating related discussions into this topic for your convenience.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • I am really having a hard time getting an '07 jeep liberty! I purchased a used one with 2k on it only to find the transmission messed up and had been in the shop 4X's. Took it back. Went to dealer and purchased a brand new one. Today 200 miles later I find that my floor board front & back are flooded....can only guess it is an A/c problem..I am so frustrated. love the vehicle but will not make pmts and deal with problems first week. HELP! anyone else got issues?
    The air coming out of the vents has a musty stink. There is a repair bulletin and I may have to go that route. Tried the stuff you spray in the air intake that is supposed to fix the problem with less than stellar results.
    Only problem so far on my 03.
    Some find that it helps to turn the air conditioning off a minute or two before turning off the engine.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    But then I'd be hot for a minute or two. But then the air might not stink. Decisions---decisions. What to do?
    But then I'd be hot for a minute or two.

Tough call! ;)

Perhaps rolling your windows down for that dreadful interim would help? :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • I have an '03 Liberty Sport 3.7L. My A/C blows cool for several minutes then blows warm. The time between cool and hot varies. Sometimes the air will blow warm for awhile then return to cooling with no action. Other times it never recovers...that is until I turn the A/C off for several minutes. Then it will blow cool and hot again. I've taken it to the dealer twice. 1st time was low on refrigerent. They said leak couldn't be found. Took it in a second time a month or so later. This time ref charge ok and still no leak. Replaced a "relay" and hose clamp...still no luck. Any experience out there?
  • xtecxtec Posts: 354
    I've had the expansion valve go on differant cars with the same symptom.Have that checked out,and I used to replace them when I worked on A/C.Good Luck.
  • Thanks...that sounds in line with some other info I've found regarding potentially clogged evaporator drain line. Would you agree?
    You can check you drain hose, but if that plugged you would get mold smell,and water on the floor.You should see a little puddle under you Jeep when the air is on,thats what comes out out the drain.
  • Okay. Thanks again. I was confusing the air side vs the refrigerent side. I was thinking there was an orifice on the refrigerent side that could plug.
  • mbummbum Posts: 1
    My 2002 Liberty heater blows hot as long as I am moving. As soon as I stop the heater blows cold. If I place the transmission in neutral and rev the engine to about 1500 rpm the air blows hot. It blows cold at about 1000 rpm and lower. Any thoughts?
    Thank you.
  • caribou1caribou1 Posts: 1,349
    Assuming your water pump is OK, when the thermostat doesn't open or when the radiator is partially clogged, you push all the heat dissipated by the engine through the cabin heater because the cabin heating system is always 'first served'; at idle speed there may not be enough heat for you to feel the transition.

If you've blown your engine head gasket and have a (exhaust) gas pocket trapped in there, you may face the same symptom.

Check your antifreeze level first, and when the engine is cold try to move the cooling liquid by doing a 'massage' on your hoses. On a normal cold system you can feel and hear the liquid move back and forth once you open the filling cap. If by doing this the coolant pours out from the top reservoir, you have excessive restriction to flow through the main radiator. The pump can overcome this restriction, you can't.

Next, start the engine with the top reservoir open and wait for the thermostat to open. You should see coolant flowing into the top reservoir. This is a good way to check for air trapped in the circuit: just let the air out and refill to normal level.

On a normal cooling circuit you can open this little reservoir when it's hot and while the engine runs. It should not out gas much; the cap is made with a ramp to allow progressive release of overpressure and the tiny hose located under the cap collects the overflowing coolant.

Always keep in mind this can be hot liquid and should be disposed of as a chemical waste :)
  • Did you get it fixed? What was the problem? Mine only blows heat when I'm hitting the gas. The AC went in a similar fashion in September or October. Appreciate any help.
  • No luck yet. My problem is a/c blows cold then hot. Hot air isn't a problem, but tough to test that for any length of time down here in Florida. a/c problem is intermittent. Acts like low refrigerent but charge is okay. I'm wondering if there isn't some kind of electrical issue getting the compressor clutch to work. Gave up on the Jeep Dealer. I'm asking around for a reliable a/c repair shop which is probably what I should have done to start with. I know this was no help, but wanted to reply. Good luck.
  • Thanks for giving it a shot! No one seems to be able to figure ac/heat issues very easily on Jepps. Oh well. Otherwise it's been a workhorse so I can't complain too much.
  • 2jeeps2jeeps Posts: 1
    Did you ever figure out the problem. My Jeep Liberty is doing the exact same thing. Heater is hot as long as I am moving. Cold otherwise. Had it to the dealership and they can't figure it out. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    First of all make sure you have enough coolant.Next thing is to check the radiator cap.If everything checks out OK,then check for air in the system.Sometimes there is a bleeder near the thermostat to bleed out the air.If you had air,recheck your coolant.I hope this helps.Good Luck
  • I have had my 2008 Jeep Liberty since October, and have been freezing. There is no heater duct on the driver side. The heat just spills out from a hole up under the center console, behind the gas pedal.

Is this normal?

The dealer says yes, but the heater duct seems to have a little latch on it like it is missing an extension piece that would bring it down to the driver's feet, similar to that of the passenger side.

I also have cold air blowing on me from right up under the console by my right leg.

Can somebody else with a 2008 Liberty verify that their heater duct on the driver side is the same as mine, or is it more like that of the passenger side?

Thanks.

--gary
  • almafalmaf Posts: 1
    I purchased a used 03 Jeep Liberty Sport Limited (fully factory equiped and I truly love it) which runs beautifully, but when it rains, it not only rains outside but inside too, bad enough that water reached back passenger seat. We checked out everything we thought might be causing this problem, even removing front hood, wipers and taking a hose and to it, but as you can see, we still have no idea what is causing this. Has anyone else had this problem? If yes, can you please give us a clue as to what it might be.
    :confuse:
  • I've got a 1992 Jeep Cherokee in excellent condition that also rains inside -- but does so on both sides. I've always thought it was the windshield leaking, but can't find a leak up that high. It might actually be coming through the ducting system.

I know these vehicles aren't really the same, but they do share a similar history, and one sort of replaced the other.

Good luck!
  • I've had my Jeep Liberty 2008 since December and the floor heater on the driver's side blows cold air. The passenger side blows very warm air. My feet freeze in the cold weather. I've had it in to the dealer, but it still blows cold air.
    Go back to the incompetent dealer and ask to test drive a couple of comparable new libertys and see if they all have the same problem. If they don't, ask him to fix yours or give you one that works.
  • debsteeledebsteele Posts: 1
    Does anybody know what the PCM is? Seems that I need one for my a/c to work on my Liberty.
  • kmmk1kmmk1 Posts: 1
    Not sure if you got it fixed but maybe this will help. Had the same problem with a company car (Dodge Stratus). Had it to the dealer four times then took it to a local garage. The tech at the service station found that the drain holes on the firewall and the a/c drain under the dash weren't aligned. He pulled the dash apart, aligned it and the problem was gone. Think it cost us about $200.00 in labor. Good luck.
  • Has your floor heater problem been resolved? Mine still blows cold air around my ankle on the driver's side.