Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Ram Starting Problems

gunownergunowner Posts: 3
Throughout the day the truck did not experience any problems. Parked at the office and was attempting to leave for the evening and no luck. When I turn the key all dash lights show up bright, but no starter turnover. After continuous key turnover several times you would get a quick knock at what sounds like the starter then nothing. I tried jumping, still nothing. I put the truck in neutral (automatic trans) and nothing. Again, at the dash all appears fine.

It does have the cummins. Other than this, have had no problems at all.

Comments

• dustykdustyk Posts: 2,931
    A while back there was a short rash of intermittent relays in RAMs. Both the starter and ASD relays can cause a no crank condition.

Regards,
    Dusty

"What part of '...the right of the people to keep and bear arms...' is not clear?" -- Joyce Lee Malcolm, Professor of English History in a discussion on the American Bill of Rights, Washington Press Club 2003.
  • I have a'99 Dodge Ram 1500 sport 5.2L 318 and she won't start unless you have your foot on the gas and will only stay running if you keep the revs up. Sometimes if you let her sit awhile she will start up. Is the fuel pump , relays, battery? I'm trying to go with the stupid things first before I buy a new fuel pump ($219).
  • gunownergunowner Posts: 3
    The problem was the computer controller went out; according to the service dept. It had to stay in the shop for approx. 4 weeks due to the controller being on "national backorder".

Thanks for the reply.
  • Got in the truck to go to work. It started fine. Drove half a block to a convenience store and parked it. When I got back in, it would turn over, (lots of cranking power,) but would not fire.
  • Hey did you ever figure out what the hack was going on. I thought is was my starter so I replaced it but nothing. I got the same problem. I got power to the dash and all the lights work. I even got power to my starter but she will not turn over. I got the cummins too. I went to the local gas station parked it and when I came back out about 10 minutes later nothing. I tried jumping and like you nothing. I bypassed the starter relay too. Can you help me out buddy?
  • I had my Ram towed to the dealer (2006 and is still under warranty) and they diagnosed it as the "computer". It was on back order due to the original manufacturer screwing things up; I had to wait 4 weeks to get my truck back.
  • Because the motor will turn over, but won't fire, they are telling me that the fuel injector pump has failed. Furthermore, if pieces of the pump have entered the injector lines, the fix could be very expensive. Around $2500CDN.
  • Thanks for the intel. I took the truck to the shop and they told me that the interface under the fuse panel was shorted out. I dont think that they know what they were talking about because if that was the case there wouldnt not be any power at the dash or at the starter and I know the starter had power hell it had 12.6 VDC. So I dont know but the part costs $375 dollars. And thats just the part. Yea ouch!!!!
  • truck was warming up, it stalled. tried to start it again but it just turns over.anyone familiar with this problem and what it could be?
  • jarretfjarretf Posts: 1
    I got a 1995 Dodge ram 1500 2WD 5.2L 318. Was driving home from work, and my truck just stalled going down the highway, checked all relays and fuses, all were fine. Towed home, checked #1 spark plug wire for a spark, none, also there wasn't a spark at the ignition coil, but there was power going to it. Checked to make sure my fuel pump was working and was getting fuel to the engine, it was working fine. Replaced ignition coil, distributor cap, and rotor. It still just sits there and cranks but does not start. Out of ideas of what it may be..
  • I own a Dodge Ram 2500 with Cummins Diesel 4X4 bought new in 1996. Been a great truck. Now has 184,000 miles. It's having starting issues for several years now, traced to a fuel retention problem. If I park faced downhill it usually starts fine. I had the fuel pump replaced but didn't fix problem. Recently I discovered if I jack up the rear end and crank the bleeder for 20 mins I can usually get it up and running again, of course this is just a band aid. I would really appreciate a final fix for this problem. My normal mechanic has been un-able to solve this problem. (Though he's been wonderful with our gas vehicles)
    Thanks for reading.

Irishjim.
  • Here's a good one for you techs.. 04 2500 5.9l 300,000 kms. Problems with very noisy engine. Dealer replaced #1 injector, still noisy, brought it back. I was with tech while hooked up to computer. When he shut down # 6 injector sounded ok. So I said pull all inj. out and test. They all failed. They replaced with remans. All was ok for 5,000 kms. Started to be hard to start when at op. temp. I replaced fuel filter. Did not help. Continually got worse. to the point where it would not start. Had to leave for 1+ hours before it would start. Brought it to another repair shop which specializes in small diesels. Lift pump tested ok injector pump tested ok. no codes. They felt it may be the reman injectors because the electrical parts in each inj.can't be rebuilt. Stated that 20% of fuel is injected into cylinder prior to normal time before TDC. When inj. are hot this may not happen. Brought it back to Dealer for more testing. I relayed this info to them. They are still testing and talking to the reman company. They say it is not the inj.s. They really don't know what the problem is. Also, when in no start condition engine sounds quiet as if no fuel. Give a little sniff of starter fluid and jumps to life.When running sounds good, power is good fuel economy is normal... Any ideas???? :sick:
  • my 03 is a great truck, but for the last 4 months i have been trying to figure out what is going on. Went out to go to work one morning and it took way longer than normal to start so i took it to the dealer after it would not start altogether they said it was the fuel pump so 800 dollars later i had a new fuel pump oh then it brought a new problem the #1 injector was bad so know 1500 dollars later my truck started for about 3 weeks they were extended starts none the less it started then it started happening all over again back to the dealer #4 injector bad changed it started same as before now 2200 dollars into it i have no solution other than to give it a gas rag only after it is on the heater block all night then and only then will it start anyone out there got any suggestions. please :cry: :cry:
  • dydadyda Posts: 2
    98 Dodge 1500 p/u 360 ci auto.....On the first try , will crank but won't start.Second try will fire right up.Been doing this for two yrs.Weather makes no difference.Lenth of first try makes no diff.
    This should be an easy problem to troubleshoot since its very consistent. Ignition coil voltage, injector voltage, and fuel pressure should be monitored at a first start-up scenario. This will confirm the problem right away.

I don't see or even hear of very many bad injectors on Dodge gas engines, unless they have a lot of miles (>100,000) and have had a steady diet of cheap fuel. One punky or completely inoperative fuel injector would not explain a no start condition, in my opinion.

Just a hunch, but I'm suspecting you might not be getting ANY injector or ignition coil voltage at that initial start, or no fuel pressure. I have worked on two Dakotas with this symptom and found that after replacing the ASD relay the problem did not return. The techs at my local Dodge dealer have also told me they've found bad connections in various connectors or ground points that have caused the same problem. I know of one RAM that had a bad fuel pump relay that caused a no start condition similiar to yours. The Fuel Pump Relay is of the same type as the ASD Relay.

Best regards,
    Dusty
    This could possibly be caused by an intermittent ASD Relay, Fuel Pump Relay, bad electrical connections, or a slow Fuel Pressure Regulator.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • hey thanks for the heads up does the same apply to a 2500 5.9L desiel as well
  • dydadyda Posts: 2
    Where are the fuel pump and ASD relays located on a 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 p/u?
    I have to say I honestly don't know, although I'm sure there's a fuel pump relay. I'm not sure about an Automatic Shutdown (ASD) relay.

I apologize. Since the days of full-size GM cars, I have successfully avoided having anything to do with diesels, and my knowledge is very limited with respect to the Cummins version of the RAM.

Best regards,
    Dusty
  • I have an 93 dodge 2500 diesel with same fuel leak back problem as yours and i was wanting to know if you know how to fix the problem or had any ideas of how to fix the problem.