Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota RAV4 Paint and Body

tree329tree329 Posts: 6
edited June 11 in Toyota
I just bought a rav4 and I have 3 small places where the paint is chipped down to the primer. I have never had this problem with any of my other cars. Shouldn't this paint last more than a few weeks?

Comments

• cbmortoncbmorton Posts: 252
    Modern paint chips easily. I got a nick on my way home from the dealership. Consider investing in paint protection film (aka, a "clear bra") if this is a concern.
  • hlee_goodhlee_good Posts: 4
    This caused by the small rocks when you travel on the road. I have few places in my 06 RAV4 too. I confirmed this does not cover by rust warranty. I had 1992 Camry and never had this problem, seems the paint qulaity is getting poor in Toyota products. Things you can do are buy a touch up paint to cover those places and install a hood protector to protector the front hood.
  • dtown40dtown40 Posts: 18
    Ive got a nic on my hood too. I purchased a hood protector after the fact, and some touch up paint as well. Toyota paint just doesnt seem to hold up as well as the paint on my old Honda did.
  • I've my car for about 9 months and suddenly, the passenger side seem to have a water leak coming from somewhere in the dash. Does anyone know where this is coming from?
  • cbmortoncbmorton Posts: 252
    There is a service bulletin (BO021-06) for this exact problem, that applies to 2006-07 RAV4s. Apparently water can get in through a fresh air inlet under the windshield. Your dealer should be able to fix it at no cost to you.
  • I had an 06 Rav4 with the same problem. I took it to the dealer 9 times and they still couldn't fix the leak. My leak started around 7,000 miles and I got rid of the car with 21,000 miles. Sometimes it would leak the next time it rained and other times it would hold for a few months. I hope your dealer fixes it right the 1st time and you don't have to go through what I did.
  • verdi942verdi942 Posts: 304
    Trees, it may be 6 months since your post, but I want to tell you my new white RAV4's paint is just plain FRAGILE! There seems to be no protective clear coat like US cars all have; in just a month I'm finding chips right down to the galvanized coating on the hood! The last car that did that to me was a '79 Chevy. At this rate, I'll need a gallon of touchup paint.
  • raralewraralew Posts: 1
    I bought a brand new 2007 RAV4 in October 2007. I haven't driven 4,000 miles yet, and I already have 3 small chips on my hood. I am stunned that a "quality" company like Toyota would sell cars with such bad paint. I know there's a legitimate problem because when I contacted Toyota in October about body side molding (it did not come with the car), they told me that it was "currently unavailable". When I asked why, I was told that the side molding wasn't staying on the car. "There was a problem with the paint." It didn't occur to me at the time to ask about chipping paint. Of course this conversion was over the phone so I don't have it in writing. At no time did the dealership mention anything about the paint during the sale. Has anyone considered or heard of a class action lawsuit?

By the way, I had a new Honda Accord from 1991 to 1998, and a new Honda CR-V from 1998 to 2007. In all those years I never had the paint chip. Needless to say, I won't buy Toyota again.
  • bbffbbff Posts: 2
    I agree 100%. The quality of paint on the RAV 4 is very poor. I have a 2007 RAV 4 and it has so many scratches, paint chips, dings. The paint and body work are terrible.
  • sage3sage3 Posts: 47
    Toyota was pushing the dupont paint protection during my Rav4 purchase. Has anyone had any experience with this product, after reading about the poor paint I am thinking about getting it done. My 06 Matrix has 70K miles on it and the hood and front bumper are freckled with touch up paint! I am guessing that chips on the dark gray Rav will stand out more then the silver Matrix.
  • I don't think they offered this when I purchased my Rav 4, I will tell you I don't think I would buy another Toyota product. I have 27,000 miles and need new brakes (mostly highway miles) Also it feels as though the trans is starting to slip when I go around corners. I expected more from my 2007 Rav 4. My paint is HORRIBLE!
    Wow,
    Sorry to hear about your negative toyota experience. My Matrix still has the original breaks with 70 K miles on it! Only complaint is that there is a strange wind up sound from the engine compartment, sounds like a sport bike that is far away, I don't think it's serious. I am, however, in the same boat as far as my next vehicle; it will most likely by a Honda or Subaru. I heard toyota quality is decreasing due to the high production numbers, sure looks like it is true.
  • macraemacrae Posts: 1
    On my 2008 RAV4 with 5000 miles on it I have recently - in last 2 months - been getting a yellowish brown oily stain on the right rear fender panel - same side as the tailpipe. I have to wash it off with soap and water but in a day or two there it is again. The longer I leave it the worse it gets. The dealer seems perplexed and offered this explanation: Water on road splashes on to tailpipe, turns to steam and deposits the result on the panel. No way! I have checked with other RAV4 owners in the area, examined others parked in various lots and see no such stain. Toyota head office couldn't/ wouldn't offer any diagnosis via email and suggested I contact my dealer. Seems to be a catch 22. Anyone else out there with an answer I can present to my dealer?
    Do you park under something that can drip onto that spot like a garage with rusting metal or under a tree?
  • I have a 2008 Rav4 Limited with less than 3,500 miles and it has 2 spots on the rear bumper where the paint is worn down to the primer. There is really no indication that stones hit the car and the car was primarily garaged until now. I was not offered any deal for extra paint protection and probably would have said no since I have never had paint problems with my other 5 Toyota cars.
  • cmr6cmr6 Posts: 5
    I have a 2007 RAV-4 and it also had a passenger-side leak. I found cbmorton's post with the service bulletin number before bringing it in for servicing and it saved us from your ordeal. The folk's at the dealership had no idea that there was a service bulletin for passenger-side leaks in 2006-2007 RAV-4. Fortunately, I had brought the service bulletin number TSB BO021-06 with me. When he looked it up, he said the repair was VIN specific, that is the cause of the leak depended on which factory your RAV-4 was built. They fixed the leak and replaced the sound proofing and carpet. We love our RAV-4 Sport V-6 and this has been the only problem that we've had. And thanks to cbmorton's post, it is now resolved.
  • 1rav4gal1rav4gal Posts: 2
    My car only has 7025 miles on it. I had a 5000 mi. service 2/25/09. On 3/06/09, I took the car back to the servicing dealer (not selling dealer) because it had eight dents on it. Oddly enough, all dents were within the 10-12 inches just below the bottom of the windows or on front fender in top 10-12 inches. No paint was chipped/broken. Dealer paid for paintless dent removal. Everything looked great when I got my car back from dent removal. On 3/18/09, I again took car to local dealer to have two more dents documented. They were a result of having a hand car wash. On 4/08/09, a factory rep. looked at the dents and determined that they were from "outside influence". I washed my car on 6/16/09 and again got dents. My contention is that the metal body panels are not strong enough or fabricated properly to stand up to light pressure without getting small dents in them. When the factory rep. looked at the problem he did not apply any pressure on the body panels to see what happens (didn't want to dent the car). These dents are not a product of "door dings" and no paint has ever been chipped. Has anyone else had this problem with their 2008 RAV4?
  • tree329tree329 Posts: 6
    I have a 2007 rav4 and have replaced brakes and need tires 40,000 miles. I also feel as if the trans is starting to slip as I go around corners. my mechanic gave some explanation that I am sorry to say I didn't understand. something to the effect that the trans was okay but I am not very confident with this car.
  • trifivetrifive Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Rav4 with 75000Km. Overall, I'm satisfied with the Rav ..so far..BUT
    the paint damage on the rocker panels and lower doors is very bad. Sometimes paint damage is the result of other problems. I've come to determine it was caused
    by 2 things. The front mud guards are too small,you can actually see the damage
    that has left hundreds of small rock marks as they come off the front wheels. The
    paint on the front of the rockers is almost completely GONE. The other cause of this is the original tires. They are made from a soft rubber compound and they tracked up a lot more sand and gravel than the new tires we replaced them with.The
    original tires wore completely out at 40000 km's. These tires were properly inflated
    and rotated. The local dealer admitted Toyota was having a tire problem. Check out
    other Rav4's in the parking lot...most I see have paint damage in the rocker/lower door panel. Has anyone noticed that the 2009 Rav4's have what seems to be be an attached fender flare. Just in doing this has Toyota noticed a flaw?
  • tula1tula1 Posts: 1
    I just washed my car and was shocked to see the number of paint chips. I bought it in August--it had been driven by one of the managers and had 14000km. It now has 19000. Paint wasn't a concern to me so I probably didn't check it over carefully enough and the price was really good. My 1997 Honda CRV doesn't have as many chips on it after almost 13 years. I have a call into the dealership to see if there is anything they can do. I'm envisioning a freckle job of paint touch ups over the years and am not pleased at all. Has anyone had luck pursuing complaints of this type? I certainly didn't have a special protective coating on my CRV and the paint job has held up very well.