Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota RAV4 Paint and Body

13»

Comments

• joe_consumerjoe_consumer Posts: 2
    edited April 2
    Yes I have confirmed the problem with rav4s by going to a dealership and viewing used rav4s. 10 out of 10 had paint chipping issues. The dealership had put touch up paint(or crayon) on all of them.
  • shrrannshrrann Posts: 12
    That really proves the point that there is a defect in the paint on the Rav4s. There must be something we can do or someone out there who can help us Rav 4 owners. If we can get enough people together maybe we could start a class action lawsuit.
  • I still haven't heard from the class action lawyer group I sent this issue to here in Canada. However in the mean time I have had to purchase a bug deflector, and will be putting on several coats of wax as well. Toyota Canada is having a dealership check the thickness of my paint with an ultrasonic tester, but I am sure they will say it is in spec. They said they will not give me the specs, claiming it is proprietary. From what I able to get from the internet, the standard should be about 2mils of clear coat on most of the vehicle, but it should be thicker in chip prone areas such as the hood, front bumper, quarter panel areas. It definitely thicker on the quarter panel area, as this is standard on all vehicles.
  • stew16stew16 Posts: 17
    edited October 2010
    You will get the standard party response, from Toyota, It your problem and not theirs the environment is at fault, and the answer to their response is apparently the environment is a widespread concern for all of us whose paint is being chipped off a little at a time, by time I have this vehicle paid for I should have more touch up paint and less factory paint, of course I could just decide to keep Toyota's new paint scheme its called Oreo's. And my quarter panels have chips as well.
    It's apparent due to the number of questions on this site and others that those of us who are having the same issues should look at other options regarding Toyota's lack of concern over the numerous complaints of the poor paint.

In order to market a brand do not all the car makers place their Logo's in prominent positions for the public to see what each and every one of us is driving, and do we not give each manufacturer free advertising as we commute daily? Can you not do the same and have a sign maker make up magnets or stickers to advertise your displeasure regarding the quality of paint on your vehicles? The squeaky wheel gets the grease and Toyota's quality is no longer what it used to be, with the numerous recalls facing toyota, why would anyone let their friends drive a new toyota? :mad:
  • I met with a Toyota rep yesterday about my 2011 Rav4 Limited with 3500 miles and paint was completely off just above the plastic protection strip on the rear wheel flare on both sides, along with massive amount of chips in the clear coat. I was offered after market running boards and to replace the plastic wheel flares. This is a 1time good will offering, and this is no service report. The service manger did tell me the only way to get service reports is for service mangers to file the problems with Toyota. I am also filing complaints with better business bureau and federal trade commission.
    Don't accept a aftermarket item on your toyota they will use that against you, if there willing to replace but not document the work thru the proper chain of commands or by filing out a service report, they are protecting there butt and not yours, Toyota is aware of the problem, there are too many complaints about the paint, I have hired an attorney due to my vehicle also being affected by the recall. You do need to contact the FTC and remember the better business bureau supports the business's that support them, these dealerships love the BBB, after all with-out their monetary support, the BBB could not exist. I'll be glad to help you anyway I can but your payments will last longer than your paint, mine is only getting worse, sorry had to change my log-in forgot the old one :lemon:
    If Toyota will not document the paint chipping problem via the proper chain of command you are doing all of us who are having the same problem a miss-service, in order for all of us to get the response that we need this incident and others like yours and mine need to be documented. Again these types of good-will treatments affect all of us, believe me I understand your frustration and I too hate to see my vehicle take a hit in re-sale value due to shortcuts taken to save a dollar on painting vehicles by these companies.
    How did you get a Toyota rep to even come look at your car? We have been back to the dealer several times with the car with no satisfaction. Written to the dealer and written to Toyota which responded that they will do nothing about the paint saying it is from stones off the road which is not true. Contacted every agency we can think of and no one wants to hear us.
  • jme2jme2 Posts: 2
    my rave4 2007 car paint chips all the time, the window seals are all melted and shriveling up, the plastic trims all around the car are dried up and shrinking, the engine runs great but all other parts of the car is super cheap quality~ I am definately buying something different next time.
    I am curious to know how soon after you bought your rav 4 did the paint start to chip. Also have you tried to contact Toyota about this problem. My paint started to chip off my 2009 car a few months after I bought it. Also have noticed it chips off when you wash it. Lately it seems like it is just peeling off. There has to be someone somewhere to help us. Toyota sure does not care.
  • shaddshadd Posts: 1
    We have a 2001 Rav4 and the paint is now peeling all over......anyone with information that could help us? Two different body shops say that the only way to solve it, because toyota used a bad clear coat, is to sand it completely down and then start over ......Help?
    Hello all Toyota owners especially Rav-4, I have a Rav-4 Limited 2009, 36,000 miles, that has began to have issues with the start/stop button, the car's dash board lights will light up sometimes and nothing happens when the start button is pushed, other times they will not light up. The car has to wait several minutes before it thinks about starting. I Have taken it back to the dealership and as usual they can not find a problem, guess they are standing firm that they don't have software issues-yeah right. This is the same button I'm supposed to press should the car began to accelerate. If the car won't start when its been sitting idle, will the emergency stop button work when its accelerating. I've had an error code show up but they said it doesn't apply, well if thats true why did it register. This Rav-4 is beginning to have this same problem on a more frequent basis. :lemon:
    Your paint will continue to do so and it will get worse, why should you or any of us who own these poorly painted vehicles have to take a loss on our vehicle due to poorly thinned paint, just so that toyota can be environmentally correct. Are you and other's aware of a new class action Lawsuit being filed in California for the same issues that we as Rav-4 owners are having, Lexus owners have filed a class action against toyota for chipped paint, and have retained a law-firm, go to google type in Lexus lawsuit regarding paint complaints against Toyota. :mad:
  • fitmissfitmiss Posts: 12
    I have a 2009 silver RAV4 Limited. There are many chips on the hood which have been there for a long time. Perhaps it is a paint and design issue. I would be interested in any class action suits. I also have a radio display problem which is well documented by others.
  • I have been getting nowhere with Toyota corporate regarding the chipping of paint from the hood of my car. They refuse to acknowledge that either the seal was not put on properly or the paint job was not done correctly. I went to two dealerships,both claim its due to my driving on the highway and rocks are hitting my hood. I asked to see the service manager's car at Conicelli Toyota after he told me everyone's car has it, but he refused and said he does not do highway driving which is why it's not on his hood. Has anyone had any success with small claims court? My husband feels it does not fall under the Lemon Law. Help, I am so frustrated as I have noticed this problem getting worse over the course of the year. I purchased it last Sept. 2012.
  • rav4donnarav4donna Posts: 1

Hi Everyone!

I'm new to this site, but is appears that a lot of RAV4 owners have been experiencing problems with their vehicle's paint job.

I have a 2000 RAV4 (yes, a 2000!). It still runs great and I still love it! Unfortunately, about a year or so ago, the clear coat started to bubble and peel. I currently have areas that peeled, exposing the dull primer, on my front hood (left and right sides), both front quarter panels and the roof. It's so embarrassing!

It looks like the quality of paint has gone way down on newer vehicles.

To "shadd" who posted April 2011 - did you ever get your problem resolved?

• 4asmyle4asmyle Posts: 2

I would like to know if anyone has sent a complaint letter to Toyota Canada Inc. in regards to paint peeling on their Rav4. I am gathering info in regards to my 2009 Rav4, that the paint is peeling on and any others. Preferably years 2007 - 2014.

13»