Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Who is Happy with their Jeep Liberty CRD?

fairchfairch Member Posts: 3
edited March 2019 in Jeep
Im a potential 05' Limited owner. But after reading these forums I am very cautious. I know complaints are always the loudest so I was wondering who was actually happy with their CRD? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• vtdogvtdog Member Posts: 163
    50k- 2 1/2 years. 1 repair (EGR) beyond normal maint and recalls. 25mpg +/- in the summer, 22 +/- in the winter. I turn the key and it starts. What else is there to say?
  • fairchfairch Member Posts: 3
    Thanks vtdog its good hear that there are some reliable CRDs out there. I think it would be a great rig for us but I don't have the time or money for a shop queen. BTW does the ORM solve alot of issues?
  • buckeyedisldogbuckeyedisldog Member Posts: 22
    I have had my 06 CRD for about a year now. Other than recall work no problems.

I have run B5 and B20 Biodiesel pre blended at the pump from day 1. Currently I have 11000 miles and use oW-40 motor oil changing between 3-4 k. I plan on changing the fuel filter once a year as I have done in all my vehicles over the years regardless of mileage. Perhaps this helped me avoid the problems others have had?

I do get a bit of smoke if I accelerate abruptly. I have driven diesels for years, all smoke if heavy throttle is given or air filter is restricted or clogged.

I highly recommend the Diesel Libby for extended interstate highway driving at 65+ mph. Mine maintains her speed well on inclines.

I get about 25mpg mixed and often 30+ highway low load.

I would go CRD Libby again :)
  • boredbored Member Posts: 300
    I'm happy. :)
  • bullheadbullhead Member Posts: 125
    I am more than happy with it. However, be cautious of a used one, because it seems there are few with knowhow in correcting certain problems.
  • gooliegoolie Member Posts: 5
    I have an 06 Liberty Diesel, 12,000 miles, love it. Did a trip last year when we bought it, from Vancouver, BC, Canada to Prescott Arizona in the summer. We towed a trailer with an Austin Mini on it, total weight about 3,000 lbs. we still managed over 30 mpg!! On the way back, we parked the trailer in Moab Utah and went off roading 30 miles in, performed great! We had a gas liberty before and we now get more than double the distance on a tank!
  • ecramanecraman Member Posts: 25
    Although I have had 2 torque converters, one transmission, one EGR due to the fact my dealer has a good tech and service advisor I have had it back pretty quick. I added the 100K warranty to it but overall am pleased. Mileage has consistently improved and is now in the 27-29 range. I have 54K miles and bought it in March 2005.
  • synlubessynlubes Member Posts: 184
    about the same problems as everybody else egr torque converter pump etc march 2005 build last problem at eighteen thoushand moles none since 31000 miles would by again
  • arvmanarvman Member Posts: 95
    This vehicle has had all the normal problems and recalls as the others.I find the difference is in dealer support.my dealership is very good and they have a few senior techs that are on the ball.thanks to a few of the more tech savvy owners on this forum I have found that cleaning the maf sensor and bleeding the fuel filter monthly will alleviate a lot of problems.Of course,when I have issues with the truck I start thinking why did I get it.I hope that by the time waranty runs out all the bugs will be worked out and i will have learned enough about the rig to work on it myself for most small problems.It is great on fuel and will pull anything I need.I can see parts being expensive but it seems it is mostky computer issues which i do not have the equipment to deal with.overall i am happy with this truck.
  • winter2winter2 Member Posts: 1,801
    I have a 2005 Limited CRD with just over 23K miles on it. I am very pleased with it. It has been quite reliable save for an EGR valve, a couple of recalls and a couple of sets of air intake hoses.

FE is wonderful. Over the past two weekends my wife and I drove up to New York City and Western Massachusetts respectively. In both cases A/C was used for the greater part of these trips and we averaged more than 28 MPG overall for both and greater than 29 MPG for some segments. Must use speed control otherwise the CRD will run away on you. When I commute to work in D.C. metro traffic, I get between 22 to 24 MPG.

If you purchase a CRD, make sure you have a good mechanic/dealership. That will make all the difference in the world.

Good Luck on your decision. :)
  • fairchfairch Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the replys, I may be getting my hopes up but it sounds like most of the bugs are getting worked out of the CRDs. It will probably be the fall before I purchase one. I'll definately call my local dealers and ask their techs. how familiar they are with the CRD.
    Good move. Speak directly with the techs if you are able to do so. Pick their brains while you are at it.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    just buy an 07?
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    I thought that 2006 was the last of the Liberty CRDs? You can get a Grand Cherokee with the Mercedes blutec for about $40 grand.
  • siberiasiberia Member Posts: 520
    I’m happy with my CRD but I have masochistic tendencies. If you actually need a tight turning radius, very good fuel economy, 5,000 # towing capacity and excellent off-pavement capabilities then buy one and live with the consequences. We have a late night remote stretch of no shoulder highway with no cell phone service that we drive frequently. We face the east to praise Allah, say 3 Hail-Marys, read a quote from Buddha and make as statement the we do not absolutely reject reincarnation. In fact, my wife wants to come back as a turkey buzzard because she loves the effortless flight. I want to come back as a functioning CRD. I reminded my wife what turkey buzzards eat and she reminded me that we eat at McDonalds on the road.

If you do not need the unique combination of capabilities of the CRD, just walk away. If you do, then be willing to live with the unique combination of irritating qualities
  • coolridercoolrider Member Posts: 84
    I guess the price would have to be real right to go thru it again and take a big chance. It did everthing you could ask just not always when you wanted. I know better than to buy a new vechicle out the first year of production. It was just a new engine for the US that the rest of the planet has had for years, no biggie, opps, ouch.
  • bulletbob709bulletbob709 Member Posts: 2
    We have 2006 CRD purchased Jan 2006 new, 30,500 miles on it now. No problems. Wonderful vehicle and we are pleased.

It is good in town, on the highway, on grades, towing and terrific in heavy rain. My wife and girls love it, too.

Mileage is 19-22 in town, 25-27-29 on the highway at 75-65-55 respectively.

But, I have several recalls to follow-up on including one
    received today on the heater blower mower. I am not wild
    about possibly having the engine detuned because of the torque converter recall.

Our local Jeep dealer was sold to the Dodge house so I'm not sure about that situation. I do plan on purchasing an extended warranty as the 2006 came only with a 3/36 warranty.

I have used the Diesel Kleen additive from day one in generous portions, buy diesel from busy locations mostly Murphy at Wal-Mart, have the oil changed every 6500-7500
    miles and every other oil change have my mechanic inspect
    the engine and undercarriage. Worth every penny, too.
    BTW, the CRD calls only for synthetic.

Biodiesel is available here but only at 100% and I am not equiped to mix it at the moment so stay with regular diesel.
  • keliraekelirae Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my 06 Liberty Diesel New, and have had nothing but Problems with a Constant Jerking/Surge at 80Km - 120Km almost like an Engine Miss. Have had it back to the Dealer numerous times ~ First they said Torque Converter/Pump so Replaced that ~ No Fix. Admitted a Problem then but Now they say nothing is Wrong? Does anyone else out there have a similar problem, like this? Or any suggestions, short of a Trade In.
    Kelirae,

There has been considerable discussion about jerking on this forum and other forums concerning mostly the Liberty CRD, some VW TDI and other. There is apparently jerking (passengers would not know if vehicle or driver) and JERKING (passengers would wonder WTH!) both frequent and rare. It has been blamed on the torque converter clutch, fuel system, fuel, air in the fuel, EGR valve, cruise control, computer, and other.

I have had several instances of JERKING over 40k miles after hard acceleration up an interstate onramp to 65 or 70 MPH and setting the cruise immediately. The JERKING lasted maybe 5 or 6 seconds. If I accelerate up an onramp with overdrive off and set the cruise at 65 or 70 MPH and wait 5 or 6 seconds before turning overdrive on I never get JERKING.

Once in a while I get subtle jerking when running at 45 to 55 MPH in hilly terrain with cruise on and overdrive off. I am not sure, but in either case I don’t think cruise has anything to do with it – I think it has to do with transition from load to no load where systems are not responding quickly enough or over responding. When driving with my foot with cruise off and overdrive on or off while making changes in throttle setting slowly and deliberately I have NEVER had jerking or JERKING.

On another forum writers claim much success eliminating jerking (don’t know which kind) by bleeding the air from the fuel filter head at the bleeder screw. There has been some discussion about where the air comes from – poorly sealing filter, fuel hoses not clamped properly and a defect in the filter head itself causing air to be drawn into the system. Don't know if this info is good or not.

Apparently, a good working CRD is borderline okay because it doesn't take much to make one not quite okay. :) or worse :(
  • ddifonzoddifonzo Member Posts: 2
    I've had my '06 CRD for 14 months now and have 21,000 miles on it and am really happy with it. I've kept up with the recalls, though abit annoying. I am surprised that my gas mileage isn't much better than 20-22 mpg. I travel to work 20 miles each way, half highway, half local. I was hoping to see 25+. bio is not sold anywhere around me in the South Jersey area, so its been usld dino since new. I do have problems with engine stumble at 55mph for some reason, if I level off at this speed it does feel like the engine is missing.
  • coolridercoolrider Member Posts: 84
    HMMM, They are numerous fixes (recalls) out for this and many other problems for the Liberty CRD. Especially the transmission parts and the electronics in it. Find another dealer or make the service manager show the current recall campaings. Find out what your state has for lemon laws. If your Liberty CRD follows the pattern this will only get worse.
  • hawk521hawk521 Member Posts: 19
    My CRD and I get along quite well. Sure it has some quirks, but what car of great character doesn't? I could tell you tales of my '62 Triumph TR-4 that would trouble many car owners - but I still harbor fond memories of the old girl...

Back to the CRD. I've had all the various TSBs and recalls done. And they themselves don't bother me. At least it shows that DC did attempt to fix some of the initial shortcomings in the Americanized version of their CRD.

But I AM troubled by the condescending attitudes of the tech writers at my local 5 Star dealership. It seems that if you take the time to read the various CRD forums and show up at your dealership as a relatively informed customer, you will be immediately treated as if you are there for the sole purpose of trying to pull the wool over their eyes or something. NOT ONCE did I receive an understanding remark from a tech writer with regards to my concerns over TSBs, needed re-flashing of my ECM firmware, or even the recalls for ball joints and the TC (F37) recall. They could do better - they SHOULD do better.

The irony here is that ALL owners end up spending more time dealing with tech writers than they ever do with sales people. So you'd think Chrysler would realize how important that relationship could be for repeat customers. While I love my CRD and plan to keep it a long time, it will be a much longer time before I buy another new vehicle from this Jeep/Dodge dealership.
  • caribou1caribou1 Member Posts: 1,354
    Hawk521 beware, all automobile manufacturers buy the dedicated bits and pieces from the same suppliers. They just change the program parameters according to local specifications. What you can choose is mechanical versus electronic transmission elements. We have a transfer case, others rely on ABS sensors to improve their traction.
    I would accept giving back 50 HP out of the 150 I have for an old fashion diesel with a chain driven camshaft. This would save a lot of money and I usually never use more than 100 HP anyway!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    You could try the approach set out in You, Your Vehicle and the Technical Service Bulletin (TSB).

Taking donuts may help their attitude too.
  • dieselgeorgedieselgeorge Member Posts: 2
    I bought my wife a new 06 liberty crd limited over a year and a half ago. It now has over 33K miles with no problems, except for getting the silly recall services. We both love it. I drive a navigator for my own car, but when she is home, I take her liberty!

Having had two new jeeps in the past as well as Mercedes diesel vehicles too, the Liberty CRD just made sense to us.

Mileage really depends how you drive it, my wife gets 27 mpg hwy/country driving. I get 20 driving the way I do like I'm in a race to get everywhere, very hard on the pedal.
  • ducatigirlducatigirl Member Posts: 1
    Okay I've read peoples posts and know that I am not alone. I never knew what an EGR valve was until mine went out (35K miles). I have the 3y/36k factory warentee but I bought under the miles of freedom promotion so I believe that I have another 2y/20k but where I take my car for it's fixin's they believe otherwise. (Worries me! ~ I have all the paperwork so I think I can prove it...) Here is what my 06 Liberty CRD limited has experienced...
    3 week shop visit (no loaner car) to take care of the worlds largest cricket noise that was living under the hood of my car. Idler pully (not a mechanic so bare with me) after they figured out what it was they had to wait to get a replacement, and damaged the radiator while doing installation or removal of old idler pulley.

EGR valve was completely clogged took approx. 1 week to fix upon picking up my liberty from the shop, I put it in drive only to hear cricket again. ((Loud cricket too, suspect the worlds largest cricket!)) Brought out service manager to hear the noise, had to open hood and leave it in drive with foot on brake (was tempted but didn't run anyone over LOL). So it's scheduled to go back in. Only got 200 miles before factory warentee is over! On way home, cruise control dissapeared!

Oh service tech when listening to cricket noise at shop mentioned that the P something (Computer) had to be replaced. Great! Perhaps they replaced it with one that doesn't understand cruise control? Dunno, but I do need my cruise control back, suspect it will take another week or two to even get that part fixed, it's parked in my driveway and I have been carpooling to work. Some new car! I loved it up until about 1/2 a year ago!

Am researching lemon law now :lemon: , hoping that I can get my repurchased. I would trade it in for another car but I'm slightly upside down on the financing note. Grrrrrrrr hate dealing with car issues, that is why I bought a new car instead of a used car!
    Grrrrrrrrrrr
    Angry Liberty owner in Washington state! :lemon:
  • semperfi06semperfi06 Member Posts: 20
    We are also very happy with our 2006 Liberty CRD Limited. Only minor problems (window regulators, battery), all taken care of at no cost under warranty. We originally purchased the full additional warranty from Chysler for 6 yr/100,000 miles with no-deductible. We have 45,000 plus miles now. We did unplug the MAF sensor, which allows it to run better, less smoke, better fuel mileage, with no operation of the EGR valve. It does leave the engine light on, so if we need to take into Jeep for service, we plug it back in, and the light will soon go off. We love the torque, economy and the sound of the diesel engine. I have someone who works for me with an identical Liberty, except it is a 3.7L gas version. She gets only half the fuel mileage that we do. We also love the way the Liberty handles. It turns tighter than any other vehicle we have ever owned, which is great for parking lots. We can see out of it well, great brakes, but terrible original tires. Navigation system works great as well.
  • synlubessynlubes Member Posts: 184
    my 2005 crd gets about eighteen miles per gallon in town about twenty four to five on the highway had all the recalls by eighteen thousand miles no problems after that i have forty thousand miles now
  • debbymtdebbymt Member Posts: 1
    I have had my Liberty CRD for 3 years with the lease about to expire. I can buy out for about 15K. I can't decide--with the high cost of diesel--if I should switch to a lower mileage Liberty (not diesel).....Any thoughts anyone? I am getting about 24 MPG (not nearly the 28 suggested).
  • jimhemijimhemi Member Posts: 223
    I'll sell you mine ;)
    They're not booking well. If you love it buy it. Usually doesn't make sense coming off of a lease unless it's a foreign make that residulizes well.
    Your question implies to me that you are concerned about your Liberty because of your mileage. My overall mileage since new is 24.5 mpg. However, my overall highway mileage is 30.5 mpg summer driving on cruise at 65 mph. I am leaving on a 750 mile trip this weekend where I expect to get some where between 26.5 and 34.5 mpg depending on wind speed and direction. It takes a serious head wind to knock me down to 26.5 mpg.

If your overall mpg is 24 mpg then you are doing pretty good. I don't think anyone is getting much over 25 mpg for an overall average - certainly not 28 mpg. If you are only getting 24 mpg highway while driving on cruise between 65 and 70 mph then there is something wrong.

As far as your lease is concerned you know your vehicle and what it's worth. I would be hard pressed to pay $15k for a CRD off a lot right now, but I would have no problem paying $15k for mine since I know the vehicle.
  • crash227crash227 Member Posts: 46
    I bought my '06 Liberty CRD new about 2 years ago. It has a little over 50k miles on it now and everyone in my family loves it. I have had some problems, but I would buy it again. Mileage (28/20) is great, power/torque/towing is incredible and it is a SOLID vehicle. I use it off-road a dozen or so times in northern Michigan per year and it is very capable. Last winter I pulled my 6,000 pound Ford E-350 van out of a ditch with surprising ease. I was about to call a tow truck when I decided to give the Jeep a shot. I had my doubts about that little jeep pulling a vehicle twice it's size out of a rut-filled muddy and half frozen ditch, but out it came with a few attempts with a snatch strap.

I have not had the EGR or torque converter/pump problem. One really weird problem happened when my water pump sprung a leak and pumped out most of my coolant without any overheating registering on the gauge. The "low coolant" idiot light came on but it was the middle of the night in winter so I tried to drive to a service station. I pulled over right away when my heater started blowing "COLD AIR" but still no overheating indicated by the gauge. I ended up with a blown head gasket, engine knock, and wasted turbocharger. My Jeep Dealer replaced the entire engine and turbocharger under warranty at 36k miles. All I had to pay for was a serpentine belt (wear item). I did get a nagging CEL for the turbo boost pressure sensor quite a few times afterwards, but I learned that I need to clean that sensor by reading posts in this forum. I recommend that you invest in a thorough inspection by a good diesel mechanic before you buy a used CRD.
  • buckmcbuckmc Member Posts: 4
    New to forum,and just wanted to say out of all the topic's discussed here,that I haven't heard anyone say that the CRD jeep is a great 4WD.Given the great low end torque of the diesel,and low range in 4WD,it will creep just about anywhere.I have a ARB bumper setup on mine,with a winch,but have only had to use it to pull other vehicle's out.I had the issue with missing around 55-60 mph.Turn's out it was a faulty fuel filter housing,which was fixed on a recall.I do my own servicing on it,and the placement of the fuel filter is terrible.Have to go under vehicle to unplug,the water sensor,then up top to get the fuel filter off,and out.I'm currently looking to move it's location.I make my own Bio diesel,and it run;s great on it.I did hate when they dropped the CRD from the Liberty,bad mistake in my opinion.
  • bmartinpebmartinpe Member Posts: 51
    Don't go under the vehicle to unplug the fuel filter. Simply remove the filter housing from the firewall. Then you will be able to unplug from above and unscrew the filter from the housing. After changing the filter, just plug back in, and reattach to the firewall.
  • biodieselmanbiodieselman Member Posts: 41
    I am very pleased with my 05 Libby. Great visibility, awesome brakes ( got the trailer tow pack) turns sharper than many small cars, shoves through three foot snow drifts. What's not to like? Oh, and 30mpg at 60mph!

Mine has no irritating qualities. I am sorry to hear yours has.

I did NOT like the factory tires. I drive easy, with only 35,000 miles on the Jeep and more than half the tread remaining they were getting slippery in the rain.
    So I chucked them and bought a set of beastly General AT tires. Big difference. They are a bit noisy but man do they bite. Mud, snow, rain, ice, nothing fazes them. I rotate all five tires so the tires really only had about 24,000 miles on them.

OOPS, I forgot. The beloved optima battery gave up the ghost after only five years. I almost got a hernia pulling that thing out. But with Wisconsin winters I reckon that is hard on the battery. So I kind of forgave that.

There was a recall for the EGR which was replaced at about 20,000 miles and the new stainless steel one is still working fine with 75,000 miles.

That thing starts and runs perfect.

I am concerned about the hose that feeds oil to the turbo. It leaks right through the rubber kind of like sweating. It makes me a bit nervous to have oil that close to the turbo. Anybody else notice that?
  • gmc11gmc11 Member Posts: 9
    My advice is to stay clear. This vehicle has been nothing but problems. Here are just a few:
    ball joints replaced
    turbo replaced
    windshield washer pump replaced
    brakes don't stop in emergency situations
  • dassondasson Member Posts: 1
    I bought my 06 Liberty CRD to appease my diesel fetish and I've never regretted it. I'm only now getting around to exploring any fuel saving options like mods or chips etc. The thing I love about this vehicle is that it is a small diesel. With American car companies' obsession with big diesels, it couldn't last. Right now I'm at about 23 combined, but I think I could do much better. Safety-wise this vehicle rivals a Mercedes for features, and I really like not hauling 20 gals of explosive gasoline around with me.
    I've had to replace the crappy stock booster hoses with high quality Samco at half of the stock price. Anyone seeking to demystify the maintenance of this vehicle should join LOST Jeep Forum, a wealth of info and insight on this unique vehicle.
  • captjamescaptjames Member Posts: 3
    I couldn't agree more with you, I love this car. I purchased the Libby CRD 2005 with 46k on it. I am able to speck fuel prices and get delivery of the cheapest, which I get delivered to my home in Miami. I frequently use B100 as I can get cheaper than the Petro. I too love that it is a small diesel. I hope the US gets more of them!
  • my06crdmy06crd Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2010
    I have a 06 CRD Limited! 56550 miles, bought new! I am having a problem with the "Air Cleaner hose" (part # 56013104AE) my understanding it runs from the air box to the turbo. This has been leaking for months. The dealer is having trouble with the manufacture getting the correct part. Evidently this is a problem (getting the part) the dealer stated the manufacture had about 42 problems with this part.

I have had problems with my turbo, transmission pump, elec system, and all 4 windows. 2 windows completely replaced and 2 worked on. Worn sway bar links and bushings. And a few more!
    My warranty is at the purchasing dealer and not knowing when I purchased they did not have a diesel machenic, until recently, I bought my crd in July 2006.
    I had a friend that bought a Sport CRD 2 days later and has not had all these problems.
    If you have any info on getting the rare parts, please post them!
    The size is great for me and my mutts, just wished I didn't have so much trouble!
    :confuse:
  • flashcorlissflashcorliss Member Posts: 1
    I love the whole diesel concept. My first diesel experience was my uncle's 240D that he would let me drive on occasion. I loved picking up my other 16yo buddies, headed to the movies, in that lime green, noisy, smelly, wonderful car. I've been diesel nut ever since. I even had a Jeep Wrangler with a Nissan Diesel engine installed in it. The concept was cool, but the finished product had its short comings (but that is another story).

So, a couple years ago, I bought a used '05 Liberty CRD unseen off of eBay at a dealership some 750 miles away. I flew up there and drove it home - awsome! Tons of power, my best diesel ever. I transferred the warranty (7/70K) and gave it to the wife to replace our (yucky gas) minivan. She loved it too. Since we've owned it, we've had 4 EGRs and the brakes done twice. Maintenance is every 10K at the dealership. They did the "recall" TC 37, and the car is no longer peppy. Had I known tey were just going to detune the engine, I would have passed. Still, even at 80% power, quite worthy of a truck.

Then one day, while I was driving in Atlanta, I spotted an identical CRD on a used car lot. I asked how much, and they said $5K less than what I paid for my wife's. I bought it on the spot. Sweet! But off the lot I knew, it didn't have the power of my other CRD.

Out of the nine months I have owned it, the Atlanta model has been in the shop for 6 of those months. EGR's, turbos, hoses, every computer and gateway, every firmware patch... nothing resolved its issues, until some bright whipper snapper found that when he mashed on the wiring harness a certain way, the car would blow fuses and set fault codes. Eureka! A quick wire patch and she sprang to life - well almost.

She shudders and has a loss of power when taking off from a stop after towing some weight for an hour or so. So the dealership has offered to rebuild the transmission and I'm installing a Suncoast Torque Converter and shift kit, and she should be as good as new.

Some would ask, "Why spend all that time and energy?" Well, these cars are awesome! There is no diesel out there that fits the bill of a compact SUV, 5000# towing, nimble, 4WD (full and part time) and descent mpg.

I'm also planning on installing a Green Diesel Energy ECU upgrade to restore my power, reduce my EGR wear, and minimize my tailpipe particulate. If my CRD survives the upgrade, my wife's will be next. That way we will have two matching, perfectly tuned CRDs, and we will have reached Nirvana.

Who is happy with their CRD. I am, twice.

Flash :):)
  • nottowaynottoway Member Posts: 67
    Anyone replaced the timing belt on a CRD?? I live in Southern California and none of the dealers here have the proper tools or knowledge. I just called the dealer in Scottsdale where I purchased the Vehicle and they quoted me $1,448.00...WOW !
    Any suggestions ??
  • backhoebobbackhoebob Member Posts: 9
    2006 CRD with 76000 and the cruise just stopped, checked fuse box and couldn't find a fuse for it. Looking for help before I take to the stealer, opps, dealer.
    Thanks for the help
  • backhoebobbackhoebob Member Posts: 9
    Not sure if I'm alone on this one but I get a warlbling sound from under the hood every once in a while. Sound usually happens when changing gears at low speed under load. Seems to be coming from the turbo side of the engine compartment. Any help would be greatly appeciated.
  • caribou1caribou1 Member Posts: 1,354
    Check the viscous fan clutch; mine had too much play from day1.
  • weeze1weeze1 Member Posts: 2
    Can anyone tell me what recalls have been done on a 2005 jeep liberty diesel.
    The only two that I am aware of are balljoints (all Libertys) and the F37 for the trans/TC.
  • diesologydiesology Member Posts: 3
    just had my liberty diesel in for "check engine" light and wheezing or warbling sound. dealer replaced the egr valve and two hoses, one was the air cleaner to turbo hose which was prematurely cracked almost all the way around.. looking to buy another liberty diesel in any condition, running or not.
  • rotdoxmomrotdoxmom Member Posts: 1
    My husband and I are looking to buy a liberty diesel and I am just trying to find out if they are really as good as people say. We have a GMC truck that is diesel and have been very happy with it, but was wondering why jeep only made this model for two years? Is the mileage really better than the gas and does it pay off in the long run?
    Thanks for any info you can give me.
  • diesologydiesology Member Posts: 3
    bought mine new as a leftover 05. overall happy with it, but did have some warranty repair issues on egr valve and egr cooler. jeep only made this for two years because, reportedly, the engine would not meet the new emission standards for 2007. also the 05 and 06 were reportedly not available in NY or CA due to not meeting emissions. my mileage is about 25 combo city and hwy. it pays off if the fuel price difference is not too much disparity between gas and diesel. the crd diesel was still produced up to 2010 model year, but apparently only for export.
  • nottowaynottoway Member Posts: 67
    128,000 miles and finally bit the bullet and had the timing belt replaced. Could not find a dealer in SoCal who had the proper tools so I drove to Scottsdale, Az. to the dealer where I purchased this piece of Junk. The belt it self was $200 and the labor for 3 hours work was $1,200.00. Total $1,400.00.
    The old belt looked brand new.
    I asked them how much for an oil change and they quoted me $250.00...
    A message to the young people out there who are planning to go to Medical School. STOP !!!
    Go to Jeep CRD Mechanics school....$400.00 per hour is hard to beat.