Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who is Happy with their Jeep Liberty CRD?

Comments

• spetespete Posts: 73
    I have just under 101M on my 05 Liberty CRD and have never enjoyed a vehicle as much as I have this one! I've ran the recommended Mobil oil since day one ....have changed the tranny fluid 2X as I pull my Kawasaki Mule on a tandem trailer on a regular basis. Fuel economy has been great ....low 20's pulling my trailer and 25 -27 MPG average when not pulling my trailer. The only thing I have replaced is the alternator which went out at 98M miles ....I can't complain about that. I'd purchase this vehicle again if a small diesel were offered. I also have a '97 Wrangler that I wish had this engine. I'll only have a diesel in my next vehicle so until something else comes along, I'll have to keep this one running! I have a close friend that also had a CRD and just sold it a month ago so he could move to a larger vehicle ...he went to a 3/4 t. Dodge with the Cummins ....but only because he needed a larger truck ...he also loved his CRD and hated to see it go.
  • Glad to hear just past 90 k and all the problems of past ended. I have come to the conclusion that the mechanics at various dealers or the lack of, could have contributed to many of the previous problems. Since warranty ended I have found a diesel mechanic and use standyne diesel additive he suggested.
    My only challenge is winter cold and living off the grid I cannot plug in the block warmer all night so I have to start the generator and run the block warmer off of it. Hey even the gasoline generator does not like to start in the cold. I have used gas treatment like heet but the engines just do not want too wake up and start in the early am cold. Happy holidays to all. :) :) :)
  • I bought my 05 CRD in 2009! When i bought it it had 68k miles. I have driven this truck from south Mississippi to Homer Alaska and back pulling a 5k lb trailer. I have not had any major problems with my truck. My husband has replaced the timming belt, water pump, theromastat, fuel filter and serpentine belt. The only thing that sucks with the liberty is the hoses that connect to the turbo. I have to say this is one of the best vehicles i have owned!
  • I am wondering what problems you are referring to regarding the hoses.
  • Thanks a mill and have a great New Year.
  • I have a 2005 CRD that I purchased new. This is the most amazing deisel I have owned and coming from a farm, I have had several. The one negative I have to say about this Jeep is really against the Jeep/Chrysler people themselves.
    Not 1500k's after the warranty expired, my turbo charger died. I did everything by the book in the way of regular maintenance so I was very disappointed in Jeep/Chrysler for not stepping up to the plate and honoring the warranty. I would have been okay with them offering me 50%. The total cost of this repair was north of $3500. CDN.
    Apart from this unfortunate incident, I have to say that this vehicle is top drawer. I also use the recommended Mobil One oil and have done so since day one.
    I now have 185,000k's on this vehicle and am looking for a new battery. I had the original checked and its at half, only cranking out 350 amps. So I am in the market for a new one, just doing some due dillegence in which brand to get, although the original has worked out just fine, so I might look at a dealor item.
    If anyone has a suggestion, I'm listening.
    Thanks
    Paul
  • unclebob9unclebob9 Posts: 103
    put on a provent or make your own to protect your turbo.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 39,039
    edited January 2012
    If any owners or potential owners think a JGC may fit them better, please check out the Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel Announcement discussion. If anyone has any comments about this new rig, especially the engine, and especially if you are one of our friends in the EU, please pop in over there and post.
  • Funny you should mention that. I went to the dealer three days ago to get a fuel filter for my Libby. I just had to look over the new iron in the showroom. One of the salesmen knew I had a diesel Liberty, he came over and bragged up the new, forthcoming Grand Cherokee Diesel. According to him it is not the Mercedez blue tec. He didn't have exact specs but he had been told it was going to be a very good combination of torque and fuel mileage.

By the way. Dealers no longer have the filter cannister by itself. The only way it comes is with the whole heater-primer housing. When they told me $140 I almost choked. I ended up getting one from O'Reilly auto parts. $30 even there. I sure wish there was a simpler, less expensive option. And, it would suit me fine if the new one was about two inches shorter so it would slip out without removing the whole housing.
  • Hi Bio d, I just purchased a fuel filter recently from my dealer.It was a mopar fuel filter part # 52129238AA for $31.95. I was $41.95 in the past. I was pleasantly surprised. I reluctantly paid the labor to have another diesel mechanic do the replacement. I did not have the time but how hard is it to replace it myself is there something I have to do or know about replacing it myself. I used to do all my own basic maintenance back in the days when there were know computerized mechanisms and we knew what a timing gun was. Since I am getting older I am returning to my youth of do it yourselfer.
    Thanks, grider.
    not hard to replace. If you have installed an in tank fuel pump, it is self primes. I had no trouble changing mine from the top. But check thins out:
    http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29090
    I ordered from these guys last year and had no trouble:

I stumbled across a SUPER oil, fuel, air filter deal. WIX filters, it's a direct buy at dealer cost through the Dodge ram diesel forum, I just bought 12 wix oil filters, (6 for my Jeep and 6 for my Dodge Ram for $50.43 delivered. My Dodge filters are usually over $12 each. Here they are under $5.

Have your wix filter numbers ready and go to:

www.order.filter1.com (might have to search around for a few minutes if it does not come right up)
    Click "HERE" (if current customer) (which you are)
    Enter "moparts" for customer #
    Enter "moparts" for password (all lower case letters)
    click "Login"
    Click "go to quick order form"
    Enter your Wix numbers and quantity needed.
    You should have your WIX filter numbers handy before you start.
    Shipping is FREE if order is over $50
  • c_m_crdc_m_crd Posts: 1
    Have a 2006 CRD...last year it stopped running... Jeep dealer said I needed to replace all rocker arms and OH cam shafts due to lack of lubrication. Well I would agree that is why most engines fail. What they could not tell me is why there was a lack of lubrication. Is it worth the $5k repair job to get it running again? It only has 86k miles. Not very impressed with the CRD quality or the Chrysler techs how wouldn't or couldn't tell me what happened.
    Yes it is worth repairing, but I would go with a local Diesel shop, might save some money. And as long as they are tearing it that far apart, make sure they replace the timing belt, water pump and thermostat.
    The lack of lubrication must be addressed as well, what type of oil were you using? Do you allow it to idle for a minute or 2 before shutting down the engine? Might consider replacing the oil pump as well.
    there are also used engines on EBAY from time to time, or you can try autowreckersonline.com for a used one.

Best of luck: Bob
  • austin29austin29 Posts: 1
    We have a crd and love it . But we are experiencing one issue that I have not read on here yet . Our jeep will make a growling noise when idling and the belt vibrates. Does this in a kind of cycling pattern and is worse with the AC on . We have changed the belts as well as the alternator.
    thanks
  • spetespete Posts: 73
    I'm not 100% sure on this ..but have you checked bearings in the idler pulleys? I also had a "funny" sound that I had a hard time identifing and found that I had a bad bearing in one of the idler pulleys at the front of the engine. It's worth checking out.
  • If you are careful, you can use a piece of rubber hose, hold it to your ear and move it around with the engine running to try locating the area of loudest noise.

My bet is either one of the pulleys that guide the belt or the AC compressor bearings.

Do be careful, if the rubber hose gets caught it can pull your hand in. Use a piece long enough you can hold it to your ear with one hand and leave at least two feet between your other hand and the end of the hose you are moving around under the hood. Keep it away from the belt.
  • Hi
    Having a problem again with the EGR valve. have a code 401 come up.is asking for a up date for the system. Phone dealer ship do not know any soft ware up dates for the EGR.
    They think that it is the tubes between the EGR and engine need cleaning out.
    Any ideas?
    anne
    install a provent system
  • What is a provent system?