Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2010 Toyota 4Runner redesign

prypry Posts: 1
A dealer told me the 4Runner was being redesigned for next year. When are we going to see some pictures?

Comments

• nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,687
    I kinda doubt it. Sales are down and still falling - this is a doomed segment. Plus they let the last model run for seven years with only minor revisions, whereas this one has only run for five so far. There may be a new model for model year 2010, would be my guess.

Besides, you're right, we would have heard something about it by now. And Toyota is slowing down development of ALL its new models right now to get quality control back in line.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• blackdog4blackdog4 Posts: 67
    There may be a market for a new, larger 4Runner. I have a 2002 Sequoia and will be looking for a new SUV with off road capability. As the 2008 Sequoia will be based on the new larger Tundra platform, the speculation is that the redesigned Sequoia will also be larger. My present Sequoia is a little larger than I need, but I can squeak it into my garage. I won't buy a larger Sequoia. What I would really like is a 4Runner that would be Ford Explorer size, and have 2nd and 3rd row seats that fold flat.
  • nedzelnedzel Posts: 787
    The dealer was wrong. If it was being redesigned for next year, we'd already be seeing pictures for it.

The current Land Cruiser is a much older design and it is only now being replaced in the 2008 model year. There have been spy photos of the new Land Cruiser floating around for six months plus.

The 4Runner is a much newer design than the current Land Cruiser and it recently had a mild refresh, so it is going to be a couple years before we see a new one.
  • "The dealer was wrong. If it was being redesigned for next year, we'd already be seeing pictures for it. "

Wrong. The spy shots are now on the web. It looks like the new 4runner will come out as a 2009 model. This is a year later than my dealer told me 12 months ago.
    they downsize it. The '02 was just right for size. And if it were a little less porky it might drink a little less gas too. Please, Toyota, dump the third row!

Hey, so where are these spy pics on the web? Links please! We all want to see! :-)

Edit...here's a link to a couple of pics. This thing kinda looks like a stretch Land Cruiser, can this really be the next 4Runner? Why bother even having a Sequoia then?

http://www.leftlanenews.com/toyota-4runner-lexus-gx-future.html

• tsu670tsu670 Posts: 293
    Another rumor is the new gen 4Runner will be assembled in the U.S.
    I heard that too. That would be good for Toyota I guess, although I kinda like the fact that they still come from Japan today. I remember years and years ago, the first Runner I ever had had a little sticker in the back window that said "Made in Japan. To be removed by consumer only".

• tsu670tsu670 Posts: 293
    I wonder if the rising value of the yen against the dollar might have something to do with moving production to the U.S. Our 4Runner was built and priced in Aug. '07 when the dollar was fetching 124 yen.

As of this posting five months later our greenback is worth only 107 yen, almost a 14% drop.
  • junglejimjunglejim Posts: 18
    The 4Runner will be redesigned for the 2010 model year (it will come out Fall of 2009). Toyota has been running all of their SUV's 7 years.

Rumors have it that the next generation will be assembled in the U.S.. I wouldn't be surprised if it took Toyota longer to get it geared up for production in the U.S., thus pushing it back to 2011. There are other vehicles higher on Toyota's priority list.
  • the new 4runner has been out in Indinesia for most of this year already...known as the Frontrunner....It looks like a cross between the new Acura MDX and the current 4runner..nice care........why the delay for the US markets???

over there you can also get it in a stick and 2.7
    Rumor is, the next-gen Runner might not be sold in the U.S....

• I hope that is not the case. I have a 2002 Sequoia. The new sequoia is just too big for my needs. I have been hoping that the new 4Runner would be a little larger and retain its off road capabilities.
    Well gas is pricey, the FJ is definitely gone after this generation, and I think Toyota figures Highlander will absorb many 4Runner buyers (which is indeed what it is doing now) and those that really need to tow will buy a Sequoia.

• "the new 4runner has been out in Indinesia for most of this year already...known as the Frontrunner....It looks like a cross between the new Acura MDX and the current 4runner..nice care........why the delay for the US markets???"

Are you sure about the name? I just got back from Dominican Republic, and they had Fortuners all over the place there. I'm pretty sure that it is not the replacement for the 4Runner. The Fortuner is based on the HiLux pickup, which seems to slot between the Tacoma and the Tundra size-wise; all of the Fortuners and HiLuxes that I saw had 2.7 liter turbo diesels. Here's a link with pictures:
    http://www.toyota.co.id/cars/index.php?Model=Fortuner
  • tangmantangman Posts: 127
    I visited a number of Toyota dealers this week end. Most said that the redsigned 4-Runner will be released in 2010. I have heard this for the 4-Runner and it Lexus counterpart. Yet, I have not seen or heard any clues on what it will look like, other than in this thread. Anyone else hearing the same rumour?
    I haven't heard that rumor, and fully expect them to drop the 4Runner after its current model run ends.

The option would be to decrease its size a little to get weight down, and give it a diesel or potent hybrid powertrain. I don't expect Toyota to want to put that kind of investment into it.

Me, I wouldn't mind seeing it go back to its roots - a primitive truck closely related to the Tacoma, with some seats and a removable top behind the cab. And a fuel-efficient 4-cylinder. But heck, Toyota doesn't even offer the four with the Tacoma double cab, no way they would take that route with a redesigned 4Runner.

I think 4Runner is done for after 2009.

• tangmantangman Posts: 127
    Toyota could simply sell the Fortuner in the US market since they are already selling it in asia. It is supposedily a world platform for Toyota. So it is a matter of changing the name and small adjustments for the US market ??????
  • "the new 4runner has been out in Indinesia for most of this year already...known as the Frontrunner....It looks like a cross between the new Acura MDX and the current 4runner..nice care........why the delay for the US markets???

over there you can also get it in a stick and 2.7"

I'm sorry but what you're thinking of is the Toyota Fortuner. It is the SUV variant of the Toyota Hilux pickup truck (Hilux Vigo to be more precise). In Thailand it comes with a 2.7 gas engine or a 3.0 D4D commonrail diesel that does mid 20's mpg.

I'm sorry to break it to all of you but it is highly unlikely that the Fortuner will be the next 4Runner (Hilux Surf in Asia). The Fortuner is not built as luxurious as the 4Runner but generally speaking is tougher due to the Hilux frame etc. Also I speculate that the Fortuner itself is due for a remodel soon. It has been in production since 2005.
  • do you know anything about this new update 4runner?? have they sent you any specs on it or pictures?
  • i talked to a toyota dealer. He saw the same spy shots..said it looked more like a lexus..and besides these came out 2 years ago. I doubt that it is the next gen 4runner.