Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2010 Toyota 4Runner redesign

Comments

• embryoembryo Posts: 22
    My computer is showing 19.8 and I am mostly city 70/30. And the 30 highway is rush hour in Atlanta so it's stop and go. Impressive if it's accurate.
  • I just received a message from a local dealership that the 2010 4Runner will be here in the Vancouver, BC area on December 12th. I'm looking forward to seeing it in person.
  • this is clearly a toyota corporate troll… if you're going to pollute the thread, at least keep from making it so flipping OBVIOUS!! *rolls eyes*
  • yassyyassy Posts: 70
    so far the 2 reviews on edmunds by consumers pretty useless imho.

http://www.edmunds.com/toyota/4runner/2010/consumerreview.html
  • tangmantangman Posts: 127
    Based on the lack of traffic on this board, I assume that the interest or satisfaction is weak. Current feedback is subjective. I too would like to see real gas milage numbers (calculated by miles driven divided by gallons), not just the computer number. There appears to be quite a few of them out there (some dealers have 5 or more), yet feedback appears lacking from the new buyers whom I would think would be excited to share their experience with their new toy.
  • Those of us with previous generation w/the V8 are beyond disappointed! This things are 41K and you can't get one with the V8. The styling, while better in person than pictures, is not the greatest!
    2009 v6 limiteds were 41k as well
  • I picked up my 4Runner Limited yesterday. It is freezing here this week. I pointed the remote starter out the office window at the car and followed the starting sequence -- nothing! The dealer tells me that the system is good to 100 feet -- useless. An aftermarket replacement of the unit is over $700.

What a POS! The aftermarket system on my old car was good to 600 feet.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    my old car was good to 600 feet.

I'm just curious but why would you want to start your car from 200 yards away?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • Calculated 20.8 vs. 21.4 computer 50/50 on my second tank. Based on 422 miles driven.
  • dpr1dpr1 Posts: 7
    Finally, I had a chance to see both a SR5 and Limited 4R at a dealer in CO. Nice cars, but the 34k for the SR5 and 45k for the Ltd just did not do it for me. But, I did see a new green FJ and got it for 30k.... So, it wasn't a waste of time. It is a blast to drive and gives me some room to add on some additional features..

I still have a 05 V8 4R and plan to keep this car for several more years. I still wish that Toyota would have put the V8 in the new 4R - this would have made my decision more difficult..

Nevertheless, I really like the new car.
  • "Finally, I had a chance to see both a SR5 and Limited 4R at a dealer in CO."

Where in Colorado? I've been waiting to test drive one.
  • I was very upset today to find out that there is no opportunity for a V8 in the new 4Runner. I thought it was a mistake on the website and drove to a dealer to confirm it. Although I was in the market for a new one, I drive a 2003, I will not purchase one with a V6. It is too heavy and would not have the same performance. Toyota blew it this time, I can only hope they recognize what they have done and correct it soon.
  • I test drove a Limited last week. The dealer told me they were disappointed with the acceleration when they first test drove it. Then they realized the vehicle was set to the economy mode (not sure if that's the official name) which gives better gas milage at the expense of acceleration. When they switched this function off it had adequate performance in their opinion which I agreed with after a test drive myself. But, keep in mind I'm still driving a 1999 4Runner V6, and I don't tow anything. I had no problem with the pep in this vehicle.

I didn't buy because I would like several accessories such as running boards and fender flares. One dealer told me these wouldn't be available for 2 months, and another dealer said 3 months. Oh well, I've waited this long...
  • aamixyaamixy Posts: 69
    Hi, can you let me know which switch turns off the "economy mode"? I'd like to give it another try. Thanks.
  • A little trick to extend the range of your remote: Hold it against your neck and then press it. Your body will act as an antenna and double or triple the range. Just don't think about the harm the radio waves running though your body will do -- at least your car will be warm. This works with the lock and unlock features on standard remotes too.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,153
    Never heard that. What I have heard is to point the remote at your chin and that will reflect and bounce the signal to your car and increase the range.

I think this one is ready for MythBusters. :)

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

my understanding is the eco/economy light on the dash can be toggled on and off by the "mode" button for the display area. are they talking about something else that will actually change engine performance?
    I think this one is ready for MythBusters.

Actually, you can test this one yourself. Tune a portable radio to a remote station (crackly and faint). You can detect a change in reception as you move your hand toward or away from the antenna.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • The switch for the economy mode is in the odometer switch area. I can't give a lot of detail because I was trying to keep my eyes on the road as I was test driving the Limited, but pressing this switch several times got me to this function. Sorry, I wish I could be more specific. Hope this helps.
  • my understanding is that the "eco mode" is simply a light on the dash indicating that current operation is most fuel-efficient—not a performance mode of the engine & drivetrain. the dealer saying "When they switched this function off it had adequate performance" sounds like misinformed nonsense… to my knowledge, there is nothing to "turn off" except the light itself.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,153
    I didn't realize I could open my garage door with my transistor radio. :D

Tomorrow I'm going to hold the button on my garage opener and stick my arm out the window from a block away. I guess the neighbors will wonder why I'm waving at my house. If all the car alarms in the neighborhood go off, I'm gonna blame you. ;)

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

I didn't realize I could open my garage door with my transistor radio.

Well, yeah! The Mythbusters would just shoot them out of a canon or fill them with C4 - guaranteed to open any garage door. :P

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • They probably just put the shifter in "sport" mode.
  • g0lferg0lfer Posts: 14
    I share your grief. I have a 96 4Runner V6 with 232K miles. I have been towing 5100 lbs with this vehicle about 4 times a year and knew I really needed a V8. Nary a hiccup since I have owned it, but it is old. I have been waiting patiently for the new 4Runner V8. What an unbelievable decision by Toyota.
    Therefore, I just ordered a 2009 Kia Borrego V8, fully loaded except no Nav or Chrome wheels. I have to have it shipped from Ohio for about $800 but total price of vehicle was $31640. You get $3000 off as incentive and another $1500 off because of changing from a competitor (Toyota to Kia).
    See ya Toyota; you lost me as a customer..
  • If it is as trouble free as the 4Runner you just saved yourself a minimum of $7,000.00 and you got the V8!

Keep us posted over at the Borrego forum....PLEASE!
    Mountain States Toyota --- They had a white Limited and grey SR5... The white Limited was sold, but the Grey was still available last week (Dec 4th)
    I did pass on the 2010 4F for an FJ and recently spent some time reading the FJ Cruiser Forums.... It did confirm what everyone knows, but does not want to believe -- first year models have issues, even Toyota... The FJ had issues with the fenders, crank shafts and even the seats sagging... I hope they fixed these three years in and maybe the new 4R will not have issues, but there are so many new gadgets on the new 4R that I wonder if this car will be a work in progress before they get it right.
  • yassyyassy Posts: 70
    kias dont hold any value - they sink quicker than the titanic. reliablity questionable but they have the warranty.
  • odd1odd1 Posts: 226
    The new V6 in the '10 has 10 more HP than the V8 in the last 4Runner. I couldn't find any torque numbers for the '10 though.