Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2010 Toyota 4Runner redesign

Comments

• tangmantangman Posts: 127
    Liked your review. Can you post your gas milage experience todate and the noise level. I too have a 2004 Sport and am considering a 2010. Did they give much for the 2004?
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Be sure to check out Toyota 4Runner Real World MPG.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • warrebwarreb Posts: 20
    Have not driven it enough to have a reliable mileage figure. Trade in was reasonable, given the Kelly & Edmunds estimates. However, since negotiations were over "bottom line", there is no way to really know how much was price discount and how much was the dealer's perceived value of the 2004.
  • pjc1pjc1 Posts: 72
    in case interested

1. Have had my 2010 now four weeks and am averaging 18.5 combined about 50/50 city/hgwy.

2. The vehicle is very quiet on dry roads as compared to my range rover which is the most quiet suv I have ever driven. When the roads get wet or slushy the wheel wells are not so well insulated so the noise level goes up a bit. I am pleased with the quietness of the cabin.

3. Agree that the pull out in the cargo area is nice on paper but poor in real life function.

4. Acceleration after break in is decent. Still would have opted for an 8 and more torque.

5. Has handled very well on snowy and icy roads..Impressed with its capability.

6. Bluetooth performs poorly. Callers can barely hear me and I am talking very loudly right at the microphone (located in headliner at map lights). I use it often so this is a frustration.

7. Navigation is very intuitive and easier to use than my range rover's

8. The truck is comfortable. Captains chairs would be nice in this vehicle but overall pleased with comfort.

9. Braking leaves a bit to be desired.

10. The windshield wiper heater function is quite nice. Works quite well in keeping the wipers from freezing up.

11. The lack of running boards is a problem from my perspective. This vehicle has 9.6 inches of ground clearance and the rocker panels are covered with ice/snow and mud that on you as you get in the truck. They can't come in fast enough. I was told by Toyota corporate that they are not planning on manufacturing boards. This will be a regional dealer thing only. Time will tell.

12. Generally a solid build but doors are a bit tinny sounding and hood flexes in the wind at higher speeds.

13. No memory seating position in a $40K car is disappointing.

14. Please with the added roominess of the back seat and cargo area versus previous models.
  • All good information, pjc1 ... very helpful.

What appeals to me on the '10 4Runner is the true 4x4 capability and truck chasis .... with improved mileage. I moved from a Tahoe to '08 Highlander. Wanted better gas mileage and equal 4x4 performance ... but discovered after I bought it the Highlander doesn't have true 4x4 capability. It sounds like the '10 4Runner does .... along with comparable gas mileage to the Highlander.

However, doing some research, it seems the Highlander interior is roomier ... almost 2" more headroom in the front (?) and nearly the same on front legroom. That's surprising and I won't know for sure until I sit in one, I suppose. With a winter jacket on my head scrapes the ceiling in the Highlander, which means a problem for sure in the '10 4Runner...

One question: Does the 4Runner driver's front seat have the same (automatic) front seat extender (not sure what you call it) that provides great leg support for those of us with longer legs as what my '08 Highlander LtD have? Does the 4Runner have the same adjustment, where you can extend the front part of the driver's seat out to provide more leg support?

Again, though, great information on this forum to-date. Thanks.
  • pjc1pjc1 Posts: 72
    I do not beleive that my limited has a seat extender
  • No sure, but the seat bottom itself is a greater distance in height from the floor of the truck than any previous 4 Runner model. The seats are also, IMHO, more comfortable than what is in a GX470 and miles better than in my 2006 with cloth.

I do have a beef with the head room. I am short at 5'8" and with the sunroof there is not much room from the top of my head to the sunroof.

The headliner, with the sunroof, has a hump going down into the interior. My 2006 has no sunroof so there is plenty of headroom.
  • You've got to be kidding... why would you buy a 4Runner if you don't plan to take it off-road? At first I thought you had to be from someplace where there aren't many hills.. but you're from Colorado? This should make total sense to you... but then I wanted to see if you'd followed up on this thread and I found that you're much more interested in a KIA Soul and that pretty much explained everything.

After I do the "break in" period w/ my '10 4Runner, it'll be going up to Pike National Forest to put it through its paces. Like my previous off-road vehicles, it might actually get a scratch or two from a tree branch or heck... it might even get muddy, God forbid. ;)
  • g0lferg0lfer Posts: 14
    I have had my 2009 Borrego for a week. EX, V8, power everthing, leather, no nav, no chrome, sunroof, heated seats, Bluetooth, no back up camera, no rear entertainment. Searched in vain locally and had to buy through a broker from dealer in Ohio. Delivered to my door on large vehicle transport truck. When it was off loaded, it would not start and would not jump start. Had to call Kia for free towing to dealer who replaced battery. Drop down sunglass holder defective and needs to be replaced too. Otherwise, I am very pleased. Paid $31,640 plus $760 transport. Every bit as good and in some ways better than 2010 4Runner (no V8).
    My random thoughts:
    Too soon to figure gas mileage but prob about as listed.
    Good sound, esp via Sirius/XM.
    Bluetooth working well; others say sound is good, just a little echo-y.
    Rear view mirror buttons can be programmed for garage door and 2 other remotes-nice.
    Presets for steering wheel, outdoor mirrors and seat works well.
    Comfy front seats, heated too. At 6ft 3in I could use a touch more leg room even with seat way back.
    Center console prohibits your right knee from relaxing to the right.
    Generally quiet with road noise and other cars.
    Fog lights are nice.
    Multiple jacks for rechargers, i-pod, etc.
    Instrumentation logical.
    Slow to gear up from a full stop (saves gas?), but does not lack power when you floor it.
    3rd row seats should be an option. Rear cargo with minimal room back there unless the seats are down flat. Should have fabric on their backs because they will probably scratch with luggage.
    Small storage space on floor of rear is nice. Has some of jack parts.
    Can access fuel tank from the side of rear wall. Jack inside opposite rear wall.
    Adjustable mid seats for position and reclining are nice. Same for drop down arm rest between the seats. Enough leg room.
    Back up warning beeps are helpful but only in general distances.
    Automatic 2 wheel to 4 wheel drive is nice and smooth changeover.
    Running boards - I dislike, but are not removable. Seem narrower and I can step over them without always rubbing pantleg on them.

So, time will tell whether it will hold up. Service manager at Kia said Kias since mid 2006 have been very reliable and much better than the Jeep/Chrysler vehicles when he worked there. He sees hardly any Borregos, but then they did not sell a lot of them.
    Posted on Kia board too.
  • murphydogmurphydog Posts: 491
    I too thought the Borrego was a good value, however I saw that it may be at the end of its production - demand is low, and well lets face it a BOF V8 SUV does not project the same green image as the Prius.

Any worries about support down the road?
  • I'm also trying to decide between the 2009 Borrego, 2010 4Runner, and keeping my 1998 Mercedes ML320 -- with 140k miles, check engine light on, major oil leak, need new tires... I figure perhaps it's better to get rid of it now than to spend thousands on necessary repairs and maintenance. I really like the Toyota, but it's hard to justify when I can get essentially the equivalent car in the Kia for $12k less.
  • scottlscottl Posts: 109
    I think you misunderstood the guy's post. He was pointing out that the 3rd Gen 4Runner was a much better off road vehicle than the 4th gen or the new one. If you really want to go offroad, why buy a 2010 4Runner when it is so compromised in offroad capability compared to the older ones? Find a good older unit to beat up, and buy an Avalon for comfort.

You *will* be getting scratches on your $40K 2010 4Runner, because incredibly, it is almost *10 Inches* wider than the 3rd gen. That is huge, literally. If you drive offroad, think of all the times you squeeze past things by two or three inches...with the 2010 you'll be denting the vehicle. The wheelbase is 4.6 inches longer on the 2010, the overall length is 10 inches longer, the weight is in incredible 800 to 1000 pounds more, and the breakover, approach and departure angles are much better on the 1996-2001 4Runners.
    The bottom line is that the 4Runner has become a pooch truck, just like most of the rest of the SUV class. Toyota is pushing the goofy, FJ Cruiser as the true offroad vehicle, and while it is capable offroad, it is obviously aimed at 20-something single males, with its tiny, claustrophobic interior, lack of visibility, and poser looks. The 4Runner is for yuppie suburbanites who go offroad once or twice a year in between ventures to the mall.

The Wrangler Unlimited is the only logical remaining choice that approximates the 3rd Gen 4Runner. BTW, it is the lone Chrysler vehicle that is still selling well.
  • g0lferg0lfer Posts: 14
    The decision was easy for me as soon as Toyota announced no V8 in the 2010 4Runner. The new 4Runner is bigger, heavier, and more expensive with only a V6. It doesn't have near the HP and torque. I needed the 4WD for snow and the V8 to tow 5200 lbs in mountains. And the gas mileage is the same or better with the Kia. The Borrego has exceeded my expectations and I am impressed.
  • luke150luke150 Posts: 16
    The Kia looks good but with sales lacking, it probably won't survive. It remains to be seen how much dealer support there will be for thr Borrego as it is phased out.
  • I'm looking at getting a V6 so the 2010 4Runner lack of V8 is not an issue for me. I do like the looks of the 4Runner better than the Borrego, and also like that it has a bigger gas tank and slightly better gas mileage. I haven't had a chance to test drive the 4Runner yet. If I go with the 4Runner, I may give it a few more months when I can hopefully get a slightly better deal.
  • tangmantangman Posts: 127
    The lack of traffic on this board appears to be a symptom of lacking interest for the new 2010 4-runners. I really do not want to see the 4-Runner disappear, since the core vehicle while not optimal is OK, but not inspiring enough for current 4-Runner owners like myself to buy. The 4th generation went through a similar situation with the ugly fender flairs in 2003. Changed them in 2004, and I purchase a new 4-runner. The fix is simple. Just look at what was offeedr in the previous Sport and forget the gimmic items like the sliding floor in the tailgate and the boom box switch for tailgating. Hopefully the toyota MBA marketing folks can do a better job for 2011. If so, I will be buying a 4-Runner. If not, the life of the 4-Runner may be short lived since the dedicated 4-Runner base will loose interest as is obvious from the lack of activity on this board.
  • luke150luke150 Posts: 16
    If you really want to see lack of interest go to the Borrego board. I think the economy has alot to do with it.
  • agnostoagnosto Posts: 205
    I am the current owner of an awesome 2010 4Runner V6 LTD 4WD with NAV and have been very happy with it so far after the first 400 miles. This is my 3rd 4Runner and it is by far the best 4Runner I have ever owned in terms of ergonomics, comfort and space, etc... Just for the record, I am in the 2nd tank and my current MPG (after resetting the computer AVG) is about 22 miles as it reads in the computer with mixed miles in c/h.
    When it comes to choosing vehicles, I am very thorough/picky and if Toyota starts to fail in overall quality and reliability, then I will have hard time to find my next MAKE, but for now, I would never compare this beauty to even an MDX...
  • I just picked up a new 2010 Salsa Red TE T4R with Navi and KDSS.

I couldn't be more pleased with the design, ergonomics, and build quality.

Thanks, Toyota! :)
  • While I can understand your perspective, I have to disagree with you. I think the new 4Runner is actually going to inspire more people to consider it (like myself and others I talked with). Sales seem to be very strong thus far, as is evident from dealer lots here in Colorado. The 3rd gen 4Runner was great (design/functionality) - the 4th, not so much. My two cents.
  • embryoembryo Posts: 22
    i 2nd that. I am in a suburb of atlanta and love my 10 sr5. traded in my 06 on one back in november. they are moving well here too. i have paid attention to the stock at several of the toyota dealers and they are not stale by any means.
    i'm not sure this is legal but those that think there is a lack of interest need to check out http://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs-its-finally-here/ and hear from those that have purchased the new model. you may be surprised if all you have seen is a lot of the negativity on this board.
  • to be fair it's not universally positive on that forum, either.
  • kennynmdkennynmd Posts: 424
    I'm in the same boat here.I don't go off road or tow so the V6 is plenty but I can't seem to find a reason to why this doesn't have running boards? I don't need them for myself but having 2 kids ages 4 and 6, the running boards are a must. Maybe some aftermaket company is designing them now. Also. 3rd. row seat is a special order. I've never done a special order on any car, but I want to see what I am getting right away. I'm currently waiting on what Nissan will do with their Pathfinder.
  • I have ordered a new black limited 4runner with everything on it two weeks ago. I have checked several auto body stores in my area to install a brush guard and window/rain guards on the vehicle when it arrives and was told it will be 2-3 months before they have the new designs are in fabrication. It was Aries and Westin. So you will be looking at late Feb. or March before anything comes for sale.

As far as considering other vehicles, I have test driven everything from x5, ml 350, MDX's, new and used and this vehicle is right up there with them. Not quite as refined, but just as capable and 15-25K less. The only way this vehicle gets beat is when someone finally comes out with a fuel efficient diesel, like the ML 350CDI or VW TDI. Even then it takes a lot of fuel to make up for the additional cost.
    you are correct, but most of the negative comments are from those that have not purchased and driven one. a lot are discouraged about the lack of a v8 and rear locking diff change, which is understandable. i'm one of the suburbanite dads that occasionally goes off road for camping and fishing etc. so its not an issue for me. i just wanted to let those that are interested in comments from current owners of the 2010 4runner know about the other forum.
  • Is there anything that is "universally positive"? Not likely. :shades:

I thought this consumer review on Edmunds for the '10 4Runner was rather definitive for many long-term 4Runner fans: "...Don't think any vehicle will ever look as good as 3rd gen 4Runner, but this one is pretty close...."

For me... the 2010 4 Runner is frickin excellent - inside and out.

Replying to: embryo (Jan 07, 2010 11:43 am)
    to be fair it's not universally positive on that forum, either.
    Surprise! I got a call yesterday that the running boards are in and ready to install. The dealer is Scott Clark Toyota of Matthews, NC.
  • kennynmdkennynmd Posts: 424
    Are these from an aftermarket company? I thought Toyota didn't make them for this vehicle.
    Dealer claims "they match the 4Runner trim" and implies they are a Toyota dealer installed option, like the roof rack cross bars. Haven't seen them yet.