Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2010 Toyota 4Runner redesign

Comments

• agnostoagnosto Posts: 205
    No, you can not drive the 2010 SR5 and Trail edition 4WD on the dry pavement at all (unless you want to take the risk of breaking down the 4WD components...) Also as an FYI, I have verified that with TCS (800-331-4331) and that is one main reason I purchased the 2010 Limited edition.
  • 1000 miles of driving in different conditions in last few weeks; 19 MPG on Sierra Mountain Roads, 24MPG on Interstate at 65MPH. 75MPH dropped to 22MPG, 85MPH dropped to 20MPG.

Anyone put their crossbars on themselves? I purchased the crossbars, floor mats, cargo area cover on line and saved a lot.
  • Just to be clear, we already own a 2009 Sienna LE. Didn't get the AWD, scared of run flat tires.

Thanks for all your comments, and keep up the discussion on the attributes of various AWD/4WD systems, this is a good read.
  • yassyyassy Posts: 70
    very upset at toyota. What moron is making decisions about only having the LIMITED with 3rd row seats on west coast? I was told by several dealers here that. MAKES NO SENSE. If toyota wants my business, i want the color and options to my liking, not random off the assembly line. Ive been told many dealers dont want the sliding cargo tray on 4runners and will stop ordering them. GOOD! RAV4 has 3rd row seat but 4R i cant get? I will be calling corporate japan next week and speak to them. crazy. People at toyota cant do a job correctly, then dont work there. Smart people with no common sense (or uncommon sense more like it)!
  • Toyota's always had a (somewhat addled) mind of its own when it comes to its option packages. JIT manufacturing be damned, Toyota doesn't offer options a' la carte. it's frustrating.
  • So ... I guess we all agree that the Limited has the best 4 wheel drive for dry pavement. BTW - I have owned a Jeep CJ and a Toyota truck both had part time 4 wheel drive.
  • not to put too fine a point on it, i'd say the Limited has the only 4 wheel drive for dry pavement. :shades:
  • I've had my black 1998 4-runner since new and was thinking of buying the new 4-Runner - that was until I was standing up close to one. VERY DISAPPOINTED !!!!!!!! I liked the sport edition , but the hood scoop could go . And now it's replaced with the trail edition . (with a hood scoop???????) The hood scoop fit's the sport better then the trail though , but anyway . For starters 1. no more locking gas door 2. fixed antenna 3. replaced the L.E.D. rear lights with bulb lights only after 4 years ( 2006,2007.2008, and 2009 4-runners ) 4. the window and door lock switches location 5. head lights and rear tail lights stick out to far from the fenders and rear quarter panel 6. 20 inch rims to big for this truck and to ugly - and the trails rims are flat out ugly - the sr5's are acceptable Good luck selling this truck Toyota you will need all the luck in the world. Didn't you learn from 2003 4-runner with the ugly grey plastic all over the outside and those squared off wheel wells - I'm glad they rounded of the wheel wells in 2006 . Looks much better. Well I will be keeping my black 1998 4-runner SR-5 a little longer - why not it only has 98,000 miles and looks great after all these years. 3rd generation were the best 4-Runners Toyota built. In the meantime I will continue to look for a 2009 4-Runner Sport Edition in black or dark grey
  • Hi: I have been following this blog since August when I was eagerly awaiting the introduction of the gen 5. I bought my 1997 4Runner new, and had to wait a few weeks to get the color I wanted. I like the new model, though the color choices are very lame. I have three salesmen trying to get me a blue one, however they tell me there is not yet a single one in the US! My 97 is the best vehicle ever built, and I can certainly wait for the color I want, but I too feel that Toyota is not building the trucks that it's loyal customers want. They have posters of this machine at every dealership, but only one or two black or grey models to select from. I have become hesitant about pursuing the purchase, though I cannot think of any other new vehicle that I want.
  • I, too, had trouble finding 4R with options like 3rd row seat, etc. The Saleman suggested two reasons that I did not follow-up on so ???? 1. down turn in economy so toyota has fewer units out there to choose from. 2. storm during shipping (I think the 4R is still made/shipped from Japan), that caused lost/damaged inventory.
  • tay528tay528 Posts: 13
    Thanks to both erik10 and stateofmaine for answering my question so quickly.

Started getting internet quotes today on a SR5 with premium package and have gotten good results so far. Test driving this weekend!
  • embryoembryo Posts: 22
    there was a shoreline blue limited at the dealer i bought my sr5 from located in north atlanta suburb. very nice looking...
    yes the 4runners are still made in japan and i'm sure that has a lot to do with why dealers don't want to custom order.
    it looks like they still have it in stock www.mariettatoyota.com
  • Does the 2010 Trail Edition 4Runner have anything else in the interior besides the so called "water-resistant" seats like say what is in an FJ Cruiser, like rubber or plastic flooring instead of carpeting?
  • nope, just the water-resistant seats. the vehicle is still quite plush otherwise. plush enough that the water-resistant seats might seem a bit out of place (to some).
  • newdavidqnewdavidq Posts: 146
    I agree with iseegers (post #558) on all points; my '07 4wd v6 sr5 is coming off lease in April and when I compare it with the '10, I see no reason whatsoever to switch into the new vehicle.
    The exterior styling is interesting, but function is more important to me. And the roof rack cross members are an extra cost add-on?
    Toyota gets a D for this one.

Regards, DQ
  • where did you buy them from. I live in Canada and they cost an arm and leg.
  • For those considering AWD 4runner.

I test drove all three trim. The worst by far was Limited thanks you AWD. It feels very heavy as it is struggling. The basic SR5 felt much better because of rear wheel drive. The trail was the same with much better road handeling and reduced felt bumps thanks to KDSS. Check this site if you wonder how it works, http://www.believe.co.nz/videos/kdss

I recommend those seeking AWD to test and compare this vehicle to others such as MDX, M5 and Q5. While this is an excellent true off-road vehicle, it is a poor one for on-road comparing with crossovers. If off roading is not what you need and cottage country gravel roads, snow and pulling your boat is your game, consider these alternatives.
    i agree...this is a truck platform not a morph from a minivan or sedan like the others.
  • Cardinale Way Dealership in Lake Tahoe, CA.
  • I've owned the first 3 Generations of 4Runners dating back to 1986, and in fact am still driving the 3rd Gen, 2002 4Runner, which was the last year in that model. I skipped the 4th Gen as I wasn't too keen on the looks, and liked the 3 Gen too much. All have been superb vehicles, and I drive the wheels off them. My 2nd Gen 4Runner had 380,000 mi. on it when I sold it on Craig's List within hours after posting it. Still ran like a swiss watch.

Last night, I was at my local Toyota Dealership (Mike Erdman Toyota) getting an oil change. They stay open till 7:00pm. Whille that work was going on, I went over to the lot and looked at the 2010 4Runners. The only had 2 in stock, A silver Limited and a black SR5 w/cloth seats. These new 4Runners are extremely nice and roomy, and after I got through drooling over them, the sales guy hit me up for a purchase. I'm thinking about it seriously, and the dude called again this morning.

There's a few little peeves I thought Toyota should rethink: Get rid of the sliding cargo holder, put another light in the extreme rear top, add a locking gas lid like they had in ALL the other 4Runners, and put back the electric radio ant. BTW, for anyone wanting to do full time off-roading, my advice is to buy a used 4Runner for that purpose. No way in hell would I buy a new one and take it in the woods to get it all messed up.
  • I'll be interested in the same for the same reasons. I just picked up my new 2010 Salsa Red Trail Edition yesterday, after a series of Isuzu Troopers and a Rodeo. I am worried about all that stuff on the front end, and a good brush guard would be a big improvement. I'd like to minimize the "Arizona pinstriping."
    Thanks - Hikervince
  • And it drives poor in comparison with rear wheel drive. Just drive the two and compare. The Trail has the best drive because of the KDSS (less bump on the road and better corner handeling) plus rear wheel drive.

Test drive all three trims before buying.
  • Bought 2010 4Runner SR5 4x2 yesterday. Sales literature, sales people, and owner's manual seem to be a bit slippery on defining the "automatic limited slip differential." Is it a legitimate posi-trac type rear differential, or is really just a marketing gimmick to hide that it is an open differential that wheel slippage is
    controlled by braking/engine management via the "traction control" feature? If so,
    the traction control and automatic limited slip differential are, in reality, one in the same.

Any Toyota factory people out there that can answer?
  • Hi all, I thought this extended road test now underway of the 2010 4Runner might be of interest. The vehicle is a Canadian model which in addition to having a part time 4WD system also has a center differential so it can be operated in 4WD H on dry pavement (like the Limited here). See my question in the week 4 comments. http://communities.canada.com/driving/blogs/driving/archive/2010/01/21/week-4-20- 10-4runner.aspx
  • cliffordn - thanks for posting the driving blog of the 4Runner. It's a great read and only reinforces my opinion that the 4Runner is the right vehicle for my needs.

I'm still confused about driving the SR5 in 4H on dry pavement. A week or so ago, I test drove the SR5 (as well as the Limited) and the salesman (a 4Runner owner himself) told me to go ahead and put it the SR5 into 4H while driving on dry pavement... the vehicle operated completely fine/normal even when turning street corners. The only time I experienced binding was when I did a U-turn. Other than that it was fine.

Some on here say no-way, no-how to driving the SR5 in 4H on dry pavement - but it clearly can be done. Who's right? :confuse:

Now, I'm back to being undecided about which 4Runner is best. I want (but don't necessarily have to have) the navigation and the X-REAS seems like a great thing... but that's where the Limited stops for me. The 20" wheels and tires seem lame... and perhaps more costly to swap out than getting an SR5.
  • agnostoagnosto Posts: 205
    Once again, and last time I will emphasize it that you can NOT drive the part time 4WD system with rear differential (2010 4Runner SR5 and Trail edition US models) on a dry pavement (also verified it with TCS) ... Here is a very nice article that explains part/full time 4WD in full detail respectively:

http://www.4x4abc.com/4WD101/def_turnpart.html
    http://www.4x4abc.com/4WD101/def_turnfull.html

In conclusion, in the US, only the Limited has full-time 4WD. The 2010 4Runner Trail edition and the SR5 both have a part-time 4WD system that can not be used on dry pavement.
  • The salesman was wrong and the SR5 and Trail should not be operated on dry pavement in 4WD. Basically, on these models, when you engage the 4WD the front and real drive trains are locked in unison with each getting 50% of the power. Thus, you will get binding and damage with extended use on dry pavement.

As far as which to get, I like the Trail since it has part time 4WD and the option of equipping with the KDSS suspension system. I want to be able to drive in 2 WD on pavement. The Trail also has a locking rear differential for better traction in muck or the situation otherwise demands. Thus, the Trail has the best drive train for dry pavement while also having the best for situations that demand traction. The downside is that you can't get leather or heated seats.
  • Agnosto... exactly what are your credentials? I called Toyota Customer Service today and spoke w/ two representatives. The representative said that you can drive a SR5 in 4H on dry pavement. Thankfully, they are shipping me a 2010 owner's manual, to help w/ my decision.

Secondly, please check your attitude at the door... it doesn't really serve the greater good. My purpose, as I am sure is the case with most others, is to learn and make educated decisions about our (future) purchase.

As I indicated in post #577... I had a salesman (himself a 4Runner owner) tell me to use 4H on dry pavement. And I shared my experience driving the vehicle in 4H on dry pavement. Knowing that I could get a Limited 4R - I doubt he would try to undersell me.