Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2010 Toyota 4Runner redesign

Comments

• pjc1pjc1 Posts: 72
    edited February 2010
    Murphy:

The majority of my trips where I feel the seating is not comfortable are about 60 to 90 minutes in length. The leather is quite stiff and is not breaking in.

To be fair though my two previous vehicles were a 2008 Range Rover and a 2006 Land Cruiser. So the comparisons are tough to say the least. I purchased this truck to still have off road capability which I need and down size considerably for the next 4 years as I have tuition bills approaching six figures for my two daughters. I figured the limited would be the best choice to combine a "bit" of luxury in an affordable SUV.

Maybe I will get used to it over time but am not as pleased as I hoped I would be at this point. Time will tell.

P
  • The sport seat in my BMW 545i was the same way. I beat in into submission; took time though. That is why I passed on the leather. The cloth in my two previous SUV's was easier to clean, more comfortable and quick to warm-up. Hard to beat the cloth seat in an off road truck. Just my opinion. I am in my 4R for 7 1/2 hours at a time and I find the seats very comfortable.
  • tangmantangman Posts: 127
    Can the previous post comment on their experience between the Range Rover and their new 4-Runner. While the range rover is more cash, on paper it appears more capable. Also, those who have 5K+ miles, can you comment on your gas milage.
    Tangman..happy to provide my experience...

First, my mileage in cold and snow with about 60/40 highway/city with the limited is about 19.0 mpg but I am slightly aggressive on the pedal.

Secondly, agreed, the RR is much more expensive and in supercharged version considerably so. I believe that the RR is more capable. I got off road only about 30% of the time but the features on the RR were excellent. I did drive the trail edition before I bought the Limited and since I had yet to turn my RR in was able to do a comparison. I particularly liked the height adjustment feature combined with the multi program drive train options available with the RR. A couple years back I was out hunting and buried the RR almost to the axles in a muddy field. Dialed in mud and ruts and raised the vehicle to the highest position and crawled out and home in time for dinner. It was a truly outstanding performer.

The RR was also much more comfortable and quiet and extremely solid. Workmanship and ergonomics were also much better. The real downside to the RR is reliability...I had several issues and the dealer was a long drive away.

That said though the 4Runner is an ok vehicle for what it is intended to do. It is good basic transportation at a much lower price point. I have had ok experience in snow although the Bridgestone Dueler H/T D684 II's have poor stopping qualities on light snow and ice. This is the only manufactured tire for the 20" limited that I can find so "selection" is not good. I have been off road and my experience has been ok...maybe the tires are the problem but the 4R is not as nimble and responsive as the RR...it does get you from point A to point B though.

IMHO Toyota build quality has suffered in recent years. I have owned toys in one form or another since my 1980 tercel so I have had more experience than most with toys. They are generally reliable workhorses but interior materials, sheet metal fabrication and general workmanship (fit) are not what they used to be. The 4R is good example of this, very tinny door and hood construction for a 40K truck. Although the ride is smooth for the most part.

Now one might ask...why go to a 4R when the RR was superior? Let me put it this way...college and HS tuition bills are getting close to six figures...so the math ruled the day. When the kids are off on their own a RR will be in the driveway again.

Hope this helps
  • embryoembryo Posts: 22
    edited February 2010
    btw, mine came with yokohoma geolander 245/60-20 g96 on the 20" rims so there is at least one other option over the bridgestones. have done well in ice and snow for me so far. got about 5k on mine. and yeah, a RR is definately going to be a nicer ride. not sure you can really compare the two...different class of vehicle. maybe a better comparison would be the land cruiser.
  • agnostoagnosto Posts: 205
    edited February 2010
    ...well, let me put it in this way, I would not even consider to compare or even own a RR even if it was given to me 100% free... and of course, nothing can beat the real beast --> its name is 2010 4Runner :shades:
  • The 4Runner front seats have never been known for "comfort". They are hard at best, and don't support much. I have an '05 Sport.
    Which year and Model RR and what real life driving experience do you base your conclusion upon?
  • 104runner104runner Posts: 11
    Second time in a week the check engine light came on (along with the Vehicle stability control light). First trip to the dealer for me after purchase was to deal with the first event. To summarize, there were two codes, 1 for a vacuum problem, they blamed the gas cap. 2. prolonged start issue. After a check and reset of the system, I went on my way. 4 days later the check engine light is on again. This time I did not refuel and I was driving it the entire time, there wasn't a start engine problem I could point, ie hard to start. Any one have same issue?
  • warrebwarreb Posts: 20
    Has anyone had the following experience? Today, I engaged the parking brake at low speed (to test its capability to stop the vehicle in an emergency). After stopping and turning off the engine, I moved the shift lever to "park" and restarted. Although I had disengaged the parking brake, the shift lever refused to budge from the parked position. I fussed with the parking brake (engaging and releasing it several times, sometimes with the engine on, other times with it off) and finally was able to get the shift lever to move out of park.

My guess is a switch on the parking brake that, when engaged causes the transmission to lock in park. Perhaps the adjustment of this switch is "on the edge." Any other ideas? Could there be any electronic memory involved?
  • 104runner104runner Posts: 11
    never mind. I took my 2010 SR5 4Runner to dealer today. Looks like they are going to replace the evaporative system canister, even though the system checks out during computer check. I am glad they found something to replace as the gas mileage dropped about 2mpg overall, maybe more.
    Has anyone personally changed the oil on their 2010. Is it easier or harder than the 2009 V8 4-Runner? Likewise more gas milage numbers would be interesting.
  • kingfans1kingfans1 Posts: 137
    I think it is ok to change oil 3000- 5000 miles for the brand new car. new cars have special break in oil.. I have 2006 camry v6 and changed oil at 5000 miles.. it is now 174,000 miles. I have no problems with the engine..
  • I followed this page from September until I drove a new Limited for a day back in February. It made too much noise above 65mph, the hood vibrated at sub-highway speeds, and the was a rattle in the dashboard. I negotiated that day, but did not buy. It is not a good enough value to replace the 97 model I've had since new, and the color choices are depressing. Anyone else want to chime in?
  • tsu670tsu670 Posts: 293
    Yeah, a lot of folks agree the 5th gen has been dumbed down from the 4th. I blame it on the shrinking value of the dollar to the yen, especially over the past three years. The result was a fair amount of de-contenting in the latest generation.
    As an avid 4-Runner owner I was definitely going to buy the 2010, but when I looked close I was actually shocked. Forget the debates on the looks. Toyota did not give the customers the latest technology in their own stable, 6spd tranny, small V8 (2010 lexus 460 has the same frame as the 4-runner with the goodies), locking gas cap, LED tail lights, and many more. Why no KDSS in the Limited. With KIA stopping Borrego production, Toyota must thinks they have the only show in town for a serious 4x4. They did throw in a few useless trinkets, such as the sliding cargo floor and tailgate stereo switch. Will be interesting to see how long diehard 4-Runner fans hangin or wait for a current technology quality 4-Runner product.
  • mobjackmobjack Posts: 6
    Has anyone been able to successfully install Sirius satellite radio in the new 4Runner? Unfortunately XM is standard on all the 2010 models receivers and they are not capable of interacting with Sirius. As of right now, there are no standard adapter kits that allow for a post-factory JVC/Kenwood/Alpine etc. installation.
    I've heard of some users hooking in the Stiletto, but even then the FM transponder to the deck doesn't sound as great as the direct hard wiring.
    Thanks for any help.
    Tang:

Have to agree with you. Have had my limited now for 5 months and although it works fine and gets me around it is typical toyota..dumbed down tinny version of what it could be. But I went into it with eyes wide open. I owned a 2006 land cruiser for a year or so and at that time the LC had very few of the technological advances avaialable to a $60K+ "off road capable" truck. That is just what toyota does i guess...they make it and if you like it you buy it, if you dont they do little to change it to what it could be.
    Does your Limited get 20+ miles per gallon? I always assume the limited has the best they have to offer, yet it does not have KDSS. What is weid is there is so little traffic on the 4-runner boards and no reviews of the Limited only the Trail. So, I suspect people aren't estatic with them or they would be sharing their excitement. I am still considering a limited, but may wait to see if they dump the Lexus 460 drive train in it. That would make the 4-Runner awesum.
  • chuck1919chuck1919 Posts: 176
    The reason(s) people are not enthusiastic are a lack of a V8, nothing special about the redesign, and Toyota's current (perceived) problems.

The only good thing is they can be had for a very good deal if you wish to buy one.

If you don't need an off road vehicle, there are crossovers that ride a lot better, and have an availability of AWD.

Body on frame SUV's that can't haul anything and get less than spectacular miles-per-gallon are falling out of favor.

If you need hauling then the Ford Expedition is one of the best SUVs to buy.

Not knocking Toyota, I have an '05-V8 Sport 4Runner. But it's all reality that I have shared.
  • agnostoagnosto Posts: 205
    edited May 2010
    I have the 2010 Limited 4WD with NAV and no issues after almost 10,000 miles and one oil change (do my own oil changes) is an excellent vehicle and the only version/grade that has the true on and off road 4WD drive ability at all weather conditions... and yes, I was able to achieve 27.1MPG (computer calculated 95% highway) at about 4,000miles in the ODO. One of the most valuable safety features I like is the Safety Connect (SOS) and no, no need for V8 as it has more than enough power...
  • nets46nets46 Posts: 6
    Since you do oil changes yourself, do you have service manual showing all the lube points and oil change?
    You can't tow a 5,000 pound trailer with the V6. The torque curve just isn't there. If you checked the specs of the V8 against the new V6 you can see for your self.

You only want to tow 80% of a manufacturer's specifications.

V8 = 7,500 pounds =6,000 pounds (80%)

V6 = 5,000 pounds =4,000 pounds (80%)

The extra 20% gives you lee-way for passengers, ice chests, etc.

The manufacturer's numbers are based on driver only.

For those of us who tow the new 4Runner is not an option.
    like chuck said,, if you tow a larger load it DOES NOT have enough torque and "power". If you are just hauling yourself and girlfriend around it is fine.
  • kris1987kris1987 Posts: 1
    I just brought the 2010 4Runner and absolutely hate it!! First, of all, it makes this "swishing" sound when the brakes are applied. I took it back to the dealer and lo and behold another 4Runner was in for service and made the same noise. Are there any other 4Runner owners noticing the sound also?

Secondly, there is NO locking gas cap available for the 2010 4Runner!! I don't understand how they could put all this hi-tech equipment in this truck and not put something as simple as a locking gas cap, esp. with the price of gas.

Are there any thoughts on this?
  • warrebwarreb Posts: 20
    I have had my 2010 4Runner for 41/2 months and no brake swishing. Hope you get it resolved. Share your disappointment with the a lack of locking gas cap. Other negatives include the pain of changing oil and filter, its ugliness (only car I've ever had where the bulging rear running light can distract my rear mirrror view!) and the rust already appearing on various metal surfaces under the car. The nanny nags are a nuisance, too.

On the other hand, it drives much like the 2004 I traded in ( a big plus), has more efficient cargo compartment organization (second row seats collapse into less space) and has much better lighting on the auxillary instrument panel (you can actually read it during daylight). The capability to raise the rear window from the tailgate is also an improvement.

I hope we both get the reliability that the earlier models provided.
    With the lack of a locking gas cap, no running boards, and no cross brackets standard for the roof rack, it's quite obvious the "bean counters" were involved in the redesign of the the truck.

It's also likely corners are cut where you can't see it as well!
    edited May 2010
    Kris:

I have the same noise with the brakes. When I depress the brake pedal it sounds like a leaking valve or plunger. It can be bothersome at times.

I am also bothered by the protruding "growthlike" tail lights. At times when making a quick glance in my outside rear view mirror I mistake it for a car behind me. It is particularly noticeable when the sunlight reflects through it.

But I view this hog as basic transportation and don't mind beating it up. I hope it can take it. As long as it runs and is reliable I can take the many shortcomings.

But it is clear to me that after three or four years I will not be in another 4Runner. This is my first and last.

P
  • snooky1941snooky1941 Posts: 1
    Chris,
    You mention that the oil filter was difficult to get to on your 2010 4 Runner.
    Your way ahead of me. I can't even find mine.
    Could you give me a clue?
    Thanks
    Three questions:

1. Has anyone tried to remove the slidding rear cargo rack in a Limited?
    2. More detail on the oil change, must you remove parts such as the skid plate on the 2004 to change. I understand that the oil filter comes in three parts instead of one. Is that true.
    3. Gas milage for limited models which are typical, not necessarily the best.

Thanks.