Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2010 Toyota 4Runner redesign

Comments

• I still havent heard anything new - just the same as last time. Im ready for it to be here!
  • brandonWIbrandonWI Posts: 26
    Alex,
    I too am waiting anxiously for the 5th gen 4runner. I have had both a 2003 & 2006 SE 4x4 with V8's. Both have been flawless and loved them! A survey would have been nice for us owners, espeically the core 4runner people who buy them year after year.

I hope the new 4.6L from the tundra makes it in the 5th gen and not some 3.5 L camry based motor. If not, a new truck based 4.0L V6 with maybe 270-280HP would be fine too. From my understanding, there will be more interior room this time around considering the Highlander has it beat in this department. hopefully the overall size stays similar. I have to believe Toyota will keep the 4runner similar in its design considering it has been in development well before the recession and the drop in recent SUV sales. I cant see them cheapening anything up, but rather just improving things here and there as they do to any new model change. Plus the 5th gen will be one of only a handful of true ladder truck frame mid size SUV's left. The rear power window has always been a staple with the 4runner, I doubt it will dissapear, if so, my dog will be very upset that he cant stick his head out:)
    Bummer, they sure keep your folks(dealers) out of the loop. I guess it makes the most sense so they can sell the remaining 2009's before building hype for the 5th gen.

I talked with the Toyota leasing dept. today and they are fairly certain they can extend my lease an additional 6 months(making it my 2nd 6 month extension) to hold me over until the 2010 redesigned one comes out this fall. They claim its decided on a case by case basis but they know a new ones coming out and my previous customer loyalty.

Keep us in the loop if you hear anything else!

Take care,

Brandon
    Check out this link,
    http://www.toyota-4runner.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=48953

It seems the 2010 will appear at NY auto show! It seems as if it will have the 4.0L V6 and the new 4.6L V8.......awesome if its true!

Brandon
  • This information came from Toyota reference website which is consistently very accurate. Looking back to the information from pervious generations, they seem to have their facts together. Here's the link.

http://www.toyotareference.com/4runner#4R

Man I cannot wait to see an image of the new 4Runner.
  • Thats great! Im glad more info seems to be getting out there. I just hope that whatever they come out with it meets and exceeds everyone's expectations! Im excited to see if its in the NY show in a couple of weeks. It will be interesting to see/hear everyone's reactions!
  • ougrad1ougrad1 Posts: 1
    FYI, that information was an April fools joke. No new news on the 2010 4runner. Belief is it will be revealed next week at the NY auto show but don't hold your breath. Toyota is either doing a great job covering up for anticipation or there may be some dissension going on behind closed doors with the vehicle...I hope it's the former. One of my concerns is with the economy and demand being so weak, they may cut corners on the 5th gen of the 4runner. To me, that would be a big mistake and would really alienate a very loyal fanbase, albeit probably financially strained, and tarnish the Toyota brand. You're already seeing cracks in the Toyota name with more recalls and QA issues in the past few years.

I love the 4runner and hope they get it right...my family has bought 4 toyotas in the past 13 years and I would like to trade in my current highlander for the new 4runner if it's as well built, reliable and functional as the previous versions with the usual modern amenities that Toyota has lead the industry in providing.
  • tangmantangman Posts: 127
    Talked to a Toyota dealer sales manager today who said the redesign was coming out mid summer. He claimed not to have any details. Interestingly, in our area they are not discounting the 08 V8 4-Runners any more than they did 6 months ago. There are very few on the lots. Simply not hungry despite the economy. Do others have the same observation?
  • Here in San Francisco Bay Area the situation is the same - almost no 4Runner can be found at any dealership. I wonder if Toyota reduced/stopped production a long while ago. If so, that should be a sign of new model on its way. Another sign is no incentives for 4runner anymore - toyota had been offering $2000 over the whole past year or even longer.
  • jonesok1jonesok1 Posts: 97
    From Toyota.com: "The Toyota 4Runner SR5 V8 2WD was last redesigned in 2003 and the next major change is expected in 2010."

See http://www.toyota.com/businessfleet/vehicles/4runner/coo_vehicle.html .

Of course, the key word is "expected". No one expected the economic meltdown, either. :cry:

I went to the 2009 NYC auto show. No one at the Toyota display would admit to knowing anything and of course, no 2010 4Runner was on display (they did have a white 2009 model).

GM
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,669
    The linked article was written more than a year ago, and I think Toyota will certainly have had cause since then to reconsider keeping the 4Runner in the North American lineup. Unless they are actively planning a diesel model, of which I see no signs at all, I think they may be planning to just let the model slowly fade away. It is BOF when all the SUVs have moved away from that formula except the full-size ones, it is not much smaller than the Sequoia, which is selling relatively well, and with the intro of the Venza you can bet they will be planning to extend the Highlander again to give it proper third-row room. At which point Highlander will step all over 4Runner in size and utility, while offering 20% better fuel economy at a lower purchase price.

How can they keep 4Runner with all that going on? Where would it fit in, and how would they find buyers for it?

It would be kind of cool to see them just return to their original formula: take a Tacoma with existing powertrains including the 4-cylinder, add the bare essentials for some jump seats and a removable shell in the bed, make that the next 4Runner.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

That could be, but if they were going to just let it fade away, then why keep the web page? You would think they would simply delete that line, but they haven't done so. At least it's a good sign that the 4Runner will be around a while longer.

The reps at the NYS autoshow said they thought the 2010 would debut in June or October, but they really didn't have any more information than we do. It was more like "I think" it will but don't really know.

Also, the statements of Bob Carter, Toyota Div. group vice president and general manager, seem to indicate a newly designed 4Runner will be introduced. See http://wardsauto.com/ar/toyota_4runner_place_090305/. It's amazing how they can keep it under their hat this well.

GM
  • I dont think there is any reason to worry about it not coming out. It still comes up in every Toyota meeting and everytime I talk with anyone from Toyota. Also, its still on their "Launch Calendar" with an October 2009 launch date. Who knows, it may get pushed back a month or two, but I doubt it would get chopped from the line...

That being said, everything in the Auto industry is abnormal right now.... BUT if you wanted to bet against it coming out, I'd take your bet! Just let me know! :)
    I hope so! I'm ordering one as soon as they will take an order!
  • Great car for crumbling California roads. A 2008 on lot for 180 days, $2k off plus usual Fleet arrangement ($34k on sticker, so $27k was a deal), SR5, no Limiteds around that we could find. Her 1999 only had 94k on it and was only worth a ridiculous $4k despite being new in every way but on the calendar, so I'm putting the miles on it for work. T-100 has 228k, so it's out to pasture (in the barn, actually) at the farm now, still tight and shiny. Our Fleet guy was delivering a Tundra right beside our 4Runner, and he whispered to me, "We've had this one 514 days." They call that Lot Rot. I found two loaded SportTrac Fords with a build date 27 months ago!
  • Got this in an ordering announcement on Current Model 4Runners from Gulf States Toyota -

"This was the last order for exterior colors Shadow Mica, Salsa Red, and Nautical Blue. TMS has turned
    these off in preparation for the launch of the new gen 4Runner."
  • kfrohlichkfrohlich Posts: 6
    Any update when the new 2010 Toyota 4Runner will be available in the US? I'm shopping for a Toyota 4Runner and need to make a decision on whether to get the 2009 model or wait for the 2010 model.

Thanks.
    Kenny
    Good news....hopefully. The sooner it arrives, the better! I am hoping to see some spy pics and some details on it soon too. I would have to imagine we shall find these things out soon if it truly does come out by fall.

Keep us posted,
    Thanks,
    Brandon
    I attended a grand opening of a local Toyota dealer's new facility. In attendance were regional rep's who told me that the 2010 4Runner will definitely launch in October, and that orders will be taken in Septemeber. He didn't know when the official announcement would be made, however.

Other than that, he wouldn't comment, probably because he didn't know much more than that.

GM
  • sanishsanish Posts: 67
    2010 4Runner has been nominated for 2010 Truck of the year.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=151107

This means that it will be released before 12/31/09, don't know when.