Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2010 Toyota 4Runner redesign

Comments

• gt333gt333 Posts: 3
    I am sold on a new Trail Edition, but in looking through the official Toyota web site, I see that it is only offered in silver and black. What's the deal? Are they expecting to sell so few trail models that they are only offering two colors? Is there a chance that if I wait long enough I might be able to get the grey one that I want?
  • They also will offer red and blue in late 2009 according to the site, but grey, you are out of luck is my guess until maybe 2011, and then, I still would doubt it.

GM
  • nitronnitron Posts: 2
    I sent an email to Toyota about the rear spoiler and received a very courteous response confirming that it will be on all 2010 4Runners. I personally think that these things are both ugly and tacky and detract from the appearance of almost any vehicle they are on. Although it's obviously a matter of personal taste, I am curious if anyone else has an opinion on the rear spoiler and whether it would influence their decision about buying a new 4Runner. Although I will reserve a final decision until I see a 4Runner in person, the spoiler will probably keep me from buying one.
  • tangmantangman Posts: 127
    My understanding is you can special order the other colors through dealers when they start taking orders. Is anyone aware of a dealer taking orders? Sure wish they would still offer the all wheel drive sport (Trail Edition) since that fulfills most four wheeler needs except the rock crawllers which I would think would be a very small market. That seems to be tossed out with the V8. Also, I notice the gas milage estimates are the same for both the 4wd and AWD. One would think the AWD would be less.
    While many may not want the previously optional spoiler or even the more expensive $1K sunroof, toyota will soon have the only choice in the market. So it is more so a take it or leave it situation at any price, since there is no competition. And it increases their profit per vehicle while simplifying the production process. Same logic for the few boring colors they offer.
    Well, if Toyota is the only game in town, why don't those guys at least provide some color options in the Trails edition?
  • The 2010 spoiler is more sleek and tamed down a bit, and not near as ugly in person as on previous generations. It also houses the rear wiper, so that's why it's not an option anymore. In person, it's not that big a deal, at least to me.

The buggy lights and rear lamps and the fake hood scoop bother me more, but they aren't a deal killer. Just stupid design for an off road vehicle. I noticed that on the prototype ALL the headlights and tail lights were completely destroyed when they took it on an extreme off road trip. I'm not sure it would have mattered, but to put buggy stick out headlights and tailights on an off road vehcile is just plain stupid. They stuick out a few inches from either side and my guess would cost hundreds of dollars to replace. What were they thinking? Oh, they weren't.

GM
  • qs933qs933 Posts: 302
    I noticed that on the prototype ALL the headlights and tail lights were completely destroyed when they took it on an extreme off road trip.

I don't think that's what happened. It looks like the prototype had "dummy" lights in place of the production lights. If you look closely at the front photo, there are generic, rectangular headlights in the holes.

If you look at the back, it looks like they attached the last generation's pre-LED tails. This is actually consistent with the spy photos of the 5th Gen -- they always sported taped-on, previous generation tails.

It was a prototype and likely camouflaged, requiring non-standard lighting so that they exposed as little of the vehicle as possible.
  • Currently, we cannot take orders on the new 4Runner. The Official Launch date in my region is on October 20th, with expected delivery dates of a very few in the beginning part of November. As far as customer interest, so far it has been over-whelmingly positive. That of course may change when they actually see it. But if you spend some time on the Web, the majority of the initial reviews and responses have been positive. I have heard a few comments about the lack of color options and have heard nothing through Toyota that would indicate it is going to change anytime soon. But given the way they have been so secretive about this vehicle, everything is subject to change. Just some inside skinny from someone in the business. :D
  • Barron:

Did you see a Trail Edition?

I do not understand why they deleted the integrated running board. This is part of the body molding similar to BMW X5 and does not reduce clarence.

I also do not understand why they have a mini rear bumper for rear. They could have simply made the rear bumper fiund on SR5 and Limited in black. It looks out of place.
  • I saw this vehicle in person. The headlights were damaged-actually pushed in as in "crunch" and it looked like they used a lot of tape to hold things together, including replacing the original headlights and taillights after they were damaged with, yes, duct tape. But it really doesn't matter. Putting protruding lights on an off road vehicle is asking for a repair bill if you take it off road. Not a very well thought out design.

GM
  • In fact, this IS what happened. This is the same vehicle I saw taken before the headlights and tailights were damaged:

http://jalopnik.com/5367077/2010-toyota-4runner-more-power-more-dents

Same headlights as stock. to make it legal on the road, they had to stick on some temporary replacements on the rear.

You think maybe they learned something with that design?
  • jeffo7jeffo7 Posts: 2
    Where is this vehicle being manufactured?
    I am leaning strongly towards the Trail model but really want leather seats, which means I would either need to upgrade a base model or go with the Ltd. Has anyone seen the water resistant fabric seats in the Trail model, and if so, could you offer an opinion about whether they are cheap looking or otherwise undesirable? Also, dealers seem quick to suggest local vendors to put in leather seats and even claim that they have the same templates and leathers as the manufacturer. Anyone tried that?
  • I'm having the same issue. I want the Trail but need leather. The dealer said that they could install at the dealership but not order it from the factory. They could not give me a price now though. I'm looking for alternatives too. Figure that if I have to pay for it maybe I can find a NJ shop that can do something cool.

I was so hoping to see one of the new styles in person NOW. No luck yet.
  • Hey everyone! I havent posted in a little while, but I've been trying to pass along info as I get it (which is sometimes right when it gets to the public!)

Anyhow, I know not many of you are in Central Texas, but if you are and/or you know someone who is, we will have a 4Runner at our store tomorrow available to look at, drive, and get to know.

For more info, email me at dringler@donringlertoyota.com - dringler@donringlerchevrolet.com

PS - the aftermarket leather options are great. We do them all of the time and they look just like factory... unless you want to make them look otherwise. Yes, Purple Ostrich accents are available!
  • Actually, I saw the water resistant material in the Trail Edition at the Texas State Fair. It's not bad at all, really. Felt pretty comfortable to me and looked great.

I had leather put in a Tundra and frankly it was of a poorer quality and felt harder and more coarse than factory. I wouldn 't do it again. It cost then around $1000 or so if I remember, so my guess it would be more now. That was many years ago. There may be some better stuff out now, but I would recommend actually seeing it before it goes on to be sure you would be happy with it. It wasn't worth the cost in my opinion.

If I get a Trail, I'll stick to the stock material.

GM
  • luke150luke150 Posts: 16
    Will there be a towing package (bigger radiator, tranny cooler etc.) offered for the new 4Runner or is it already included?
    Has anyone actually sat in the 2010 and confirmed that it really has more headroom than the 2009? And are the LED rear lights really gone? Anyone know why they went back in technology.
  • Some of Toyota's instruction videos for the 4runner owner are on youtube. It has everything from how to work the 4wheel drive systems to the stereo. Some videos are painfully obvious tasks like folding down the seats. Probably filmed for the same people that need the "Do not place over childs head" warning on plastic bags.

This is the video of the test on the Rubicon Trail. Looks like a tough truck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-NheyAIR6I
  • Fyi, I am going to the Official Toyota 4Runner Launch for our region tomorrow. No details yet on how close we will get, which models will be on display or whether we will be able to drive any. I am in the Denver Region and the word is that we should expect our new Runners (of which we will get VERY few, I'm sure) by the middle of November. Everything I am hearing, and reading, about the 5th Gen has been very positive. We are expecting them to sell at sticker,if not a bit above. We have seen a strong demand for them, w/o even having them yet. My professional opinion for anyone who cares is that IF you can find one, which will be difficult, and it is offered BELOW sticker-DO NOT HESITATE. Buy it...
  • We had one here at the store last friday and we'll have another one here next week (Oct 26-30), but I'm not sure which day yet.

I put up a few pics of the one we had at the store last week on our Facebook page ( http://www.facebook.com/pages/Temple/DonRinglerAutos/86493124904 )

The ride and handling is amazing and it looks great too!

Also, regarding the leather, it's changed a lot over the past few years. Its still around a grand, but has a better fit/finish than it used to. I have some pics and a video of some aftermarket leather in a couple of vehicles. If you'd like to see it, just let me know!
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,693
    Thanks for the pics.....but as for the looks of the 2010, all I can say is yikes! Seems like they were going for the mini-Sequoia look with this thing, and just like the Sequoia this model looks worse than the one that preceded it IMO.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• yassyyassy Posts: 70
    my thought is that toyota should of put projectors and led lights all around. If i get one I will convert all the bulbs to leds. Toyota probably will add these on later versions of this 5th generation toyota.

Comparing this new 4runner to the highlander, the fj, the lexus gx, this thing has best bang for buck! All nearly same size, similar price. Was focused on highlander, but not anymore! Cant wait to get my hands on this baby
  • aamixyaamixy Posts: 69
    Sorry for my stupid question...

I have been waiting for the 2010 new 4Runner for quite a while. This could be my first SUV. Basically I am looking for an SUV with some off-road ability, which can handle snow, rain, unpaved road/trails, and other non-extreme road conditions. For my current budget, it looks like the SR5 edition (4x4 V6) is the best among those three trims. Comparing the specs between them, I found none of them has the "Automatic Limited-Slip Differential (Auto LSD)"; SR5 doesn't have the "Full-time 4WD with Active Traction Control (A-TRAC) and locking center differential" as in the Limited; nor does it have "Locking rear differential, Multi-terrain select and Crawl Control" as in the Trail.

So my question is if the SR5 just looks tough or it is actually still a tough SUV comparing those popular crossovers. Thank you for any information!
    Like most people, I drive my 4-Runners 80%+ of the time on the highway in snow and ice conditions and simply clear roads. The AWD is the best configuration for those conditions, which is now only in the Limited. If you are truely driving off road most of the time, the trail edition is the best choice, but few people in the US do so. The SR5 is solely to advertise a low entry price especially the 4 cyl. Hopefully someone will do road tests with both configurations to put data behind this opinion.
  • jfn1000jfn1000 Posts: 22
    I agree with you Tangman. I have a 2004 4runner SR5 that I bought new. It has the v8 and full time all wheel drive, which is great for the variety of conditions I drive in the Northeast US. The vehicle has unbelievable performance in wet or snowy conditions. I had been waiting for the new generation to replace my aging 4runner. I will not be buying one for two principal reasons: lack of full time all wheel drive (except on too pricy Limited), and insufficient tow rating on the v-6 (I occasionally tow boat/trailer combo in the 6,000 lb range). I guess I'll be keeping my 04 for now.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,913
    Yes, Purple Ostrich accents are available!

I'm more of a Pink Leopard type of gal.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Wow!!! Except for being on the west coast, my view is the same owning a 2004 Sport V8. I was going to buy a 2010 to replace the 2004, but it is now on hold. I have purchased 5 new 4-runners, but the new one simply is not configured for my needs. And, the impractical low profile tires on the limited make no sense for a 4x4. Hopefully, Toyota will adjust in a few year. The amount of traffic on the boards also indicates that the interest level may not be that great either from their core customer base.