Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Freelander problems are infinite

Comments

• Hi,
    I was just informed by Mr. Gutman the attorney handling the class action lawsuit, that he had talked to the Ford attorney and they were willing to give me $3000. I refused. I had an 03 freelander SE, still under original warranty, had to replace the engine at 32,000 miles. LR states it was customer neglect. I had all of the paper work stating that I had the proper oil changes. My FL sat at the LR dealership for 9 months and then they found a rebuilt engine. During this time I was driving a rental car, SUV which was supposedly covered under the warranty. When all was said and done LR charged me $7000 for a rebuilt engine. I paid my car note & insurance for my car to sit on thier lot. They also refused to pay the rental car bill and my credit card was charged $6,000. I'm going to fight this to the bitter end, I have nothing to lose. I turned the car back into the bank last month. My credit is ruined & I don't have a vehicle. If you or anyone can help me please let me know. I am in the process of writing a formal complaint letter to Ford. So any input would help.
  • shamfamshamfam Posts: 10
    I did read your entire post. That is great that you have gone above and beyond to take care of your freelander. My husband and I have done the same. My husband is a contractor and does all the work himself on his equipment along with his work truck and our cars. In my opinion, I think this car will always have the problems it does no matter who or where the parts are coming from. I'm just very unsatisified with it. I did however love the car just not the problems that came along with it. ;)
  • ventanaventana Posts: 3
    there not as commen as the transmisson problems but they do occur and as for your heater core leaking and being related to the head gasket problem ,is it just coolent coming out or when you let it run is the exaust white ?
    head gasket arn't costly to repair if you know how to tackle it right.
    i would make sure befor you do the repairs make sure that your service shop is familar with the truck cause sometimes people who really don't understand this truck do the repairs and cause more damage then they fix .
    so get a second opinion about your heater core befor your have the truck worked on .
    i have relpaced me a b and c solidnoids and the tranny work like new again and the next problem i'm repairing is the top end of the motor head gaskets spark plugs timming belt and cam belts idler pullys and so on . it's sounding a bit rough and the a loud clicking sound coming from the engine but that just means that the cam belts are stretched and need to be replaced this happends about every 30.000 km but i keep on it and i never have to replace my motor .
    my freelander has 170.000 k and it's got the same motor and tranny it came with from the factory, so it is a bit fiddly to own a freelander and just like any britsh car there rubbish but off road you are hard pressed to find something that can do the same job as this truck. so for an allrounder this works great! you just have to be skilled with a wrench to keep it running strong.
    good luck and after i tackle the problem i'll post part number and cost and where to get these parts from and whom ever it was that said heat gaskets are like 1700 buck uhhh no there not there about 165.00 from LR dealership... there is to much bitterness about the vehicle and the dealership mainly ford motor company cause thats who owned LR when this truck was made didn't give a crap about there consumers but since landrover changed hands alot of new and better polices have come out you can now get any part for this truck and there is no blacked out parts and the price of the parts have become affordable so owning one of these is just a little less pain full
    i'll update later with all info about the repair .
    thanxs
  • cwoolnercwoolner Posts: 16
    ventana:

The head gasket repair quote was from a LR dealer and included 10 hours of labor and fixing the gaskets, assuming that's what the problem was. I'm not sure about the heater core. The service dept rep told me that it was leaking "a little". I asked if he could show me where and didn't really want to do that, but said it was in the foam under the carpet. I have never noticed any smells in my truck such as the sweet smell people refer to.
    Geez if all this happened under Ford's ownership...it makes me wonder what kind of quality vehicle they are producing right now... especially given the financial concerns... are they cutting corners to save money?

Unfortuately for LR, I will never buy or lease one again. This thing has been a nightmare after the warranty was up. And you better believe I'll be telling everyone I know not to own one either!

:lemon:
  • sunnie2sunnie2 Posts: 1
    My daughter bought this heap in Sept 06 Told the salesman she needed a reliable car, single mom, needed something safe.What a joke! After she bought it it was in the shop for almost 6 to 7 weeks and she had a rental. They said it was all fixed. Well it wasnt. NOt to mention it cost about $100.00 just to change the oil. They really saw her coming. So it"s been in the shop more than it has been on the road transmission, coolant problems (which they keep saying that they fixed) I was in her car the other day and it smells like antifreeze so bad it made me sick! The Right Axel went out on the highway so she pulled over as soon as it was safe and they claimed that she drove it, so the warranty would not cover it. It ended up costing ME $3000.00 to fix. (she is still paying me back) Everytime something goes wrong they say it is not covered and they sold her the top of the line warranty, not worth the paper it is written on, because they find every way to get out of not paying for it. So now that I look at her warranty papers it does say that the radiator is not covered, and her radiator has a crack in it and since they told her it would cost $1000.00 to fix it which she cannot afford, she has had no heater or Air now and just keeps putting water in it, which they told her as long as she kept water in it, it should be OK. So now I'm really mad as I told her to let me see her warranty papers. Under Cooling on the warranty covered parts are: Radiator, engine cooling fan motor,radiator fan,and fan clutch. Under A/C HEATING is condenser; compressor clutch, pulley: evaporator; and tempature control programmer. Sounds like radiator to me! She has had this problem ever since she bought it, that is why it was in the shop after she bought it, and they told her it had a new transmission when she bought it,then they said they never said that. Problem; the car is in my name I was a co-signer but somehow when the paper work all came it was just in my name not as a co-signer as the owner. Her name is not on it at all! She has tried to bring it in, to the only dealer for Landrover around here and they always tell her well it has had this problem and you havent done anything about it so it is not covered now. When in the first palce they would tell her, it was not covered. But when she goes back they act like it would of been had she brought it in right away. So now I'm bring it in as my car which it is. And we will see what they tell me since I have taken ownership if it. She owes $15,500.00 on it, buried in the loan and cannot even trade it in, they will only give her $2500 to $3500 on a trade and $3500 is pushing it. Long story how she got so buried, poor kid has no luck, the car she traded in she had been in a wreck, a nissan ultima great car, she was a tiny bit buried about $2000. At they first totaled it, after the wreck, then they changed their mind and said it was not totaled! It had nothing but problems, thats how she ended up in the Landrover! Anyway there is not a lemon law for these terrible cars, if anybody has any ideas how to help please respond Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!
  • wat1954wat1954 Posts: 2
    Have you had any luck with a class action?

Thom
  • beckyjacbeckyjac Posts: 1
    You seem to know a lot about this model, so Ithought perhaps you might be able to give me some guidance. I have a 2002 FL, with 97K miles on it now. I have already had all of the heating/cooling issues taken care of, but now I am having problems with my brakes. In the past month I have had the brake pads replaced twice. They not only continue to squeal, but now the TC light has begun coming on in the dash. This is the little TC surrounded by a dotted circle, a picture of a FL going downhill and an exclamation point. What does this mean? Do I need an Excorcist? Can it be fixed? :sick:

Thanks!!
  • maureen18maureen18 Posts: 2
    Dear Nightmare, it doesnot end. There is a lemon law and to make a long story short. I have been trying to get my Freelander 2002 engine fixed since December of 08'. By going thru the Better Business Bureau, Land Rover Canada, Land Rover Corporate. Global TV news, the dealership, a Lawyer from the United States Mr. Gutman and also added my name to a list that is trying to sue Land Rover if they can get 50 names hermetic@tiscali.co.uk It has come down to, Land Rover will not take any responsibilty for there faulty engines and I am not prepared to pay 11000.00 for a new engine that has no quarantee, that if I repair it, it will even last past the 50,000km again. The end result is the consumer is taking the financial burden. Even if we hand, our Land Rovers back to the financial institutions and ruin our credit that doesn't stop the banks from trying to sue for the remaining amount of the loan, once they sell the vehicle at Auction. I wish that the financial institutions could get together and go after Land Rover to recoupe the lost revenue because they are a much bigger player. And that might be the only way that the government would step into help. Right now I'm trying to take the negative equity of my loan of 14000.00 onto another vehicle loan. My payment will be much higher, but hopefully I will find a reliable vehicle that will last the length of the loan.
  • will1970will1970 Posts: 1
    I agree with everyone here I have a 04 Landrover that I freaking purchase in 2007, I work for company that I am bless to have a company car at my disposal at all times so my Landrover has spent most of the time in my drive way parked. About a week I go to turn it on and puff a little white smoke this after 5months of sitting in my drive way during the winter months, I had the car towed to my personal mechanic of 8 years and he mentioned that he thinks the engine may need to be replace here is a Freelander that rarely saw the road and only has 54000 miles on it. I feel having conversation with the Landrover con-men will produce nothing. What other steps has anyone else has taken to be more agressive about this matter.
  • rocky52rocky52 Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2002 Freelander, after one day there is a message on the CD player that says enter code number...I tried about 10 dealerships for the code, but they all said that there is no code for this this radio, that I need to take it in. Then ..the fees.
    I should have read all the comments on this site before I bought that SUV.
    I own this vehicle for only 3 days
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,144
    It's a long shot but sometimes the code is on a sticker in the glove box or even on the radio itself.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• buddobuddo Posts: 2
    Hello!

I just purchased a 2002 FL S. I found this site because I was looking for info on the TC control. I bought the FL from a small used car dealer (who I happened to know~maybe we won't be friends now!) When I made the deal, he told me the TC sensor had to be replaced. He sent it to someone else who put the $60.00 sensor in, anc charged the dealer $350.00 for labor. Then he tells me that it has to go to LR to have the computer flashed. I sign all the paperwork, take a check from this dealer to pick up my FL at LR....the computer "flash" was $450.00 so now were just short of $1000.0 THE DEALER paid to have this done to sell me the S. I pick up the S and 2 minutes down the road, after I now LEGALLY own the thing...it does it AGAIN!! And now; Ihave found this forum and I am thinking of having someone blow it up!
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    And now; Ihave found this forum and I am thinking of having someone blow it up!

Please don't do that! We have a lot of people here who rely on this forum for advice and valuable information. :P

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • buddobuddo Posts: 2
    I wasn't talking about blowing up this site!! I should have explained that I meant having someone blow up my 02 FL S~!!!! This site is awesome...except for all the bad news; it is EXTREMELY informative~!!!!
    Thanks
    Bud Stevenson
  • maureen18maureen18 Posts: 2
    My night mare is over, my Land Rover is gone after 6 months of trying to get the engine repaired. I was able to move my negative equity into a 2008 Ford Escape, with no help from Calgary Land Rover, Land Rover Corporate or Land Rover Canada. I no longer have the headache of trying to get it fixed. I saved my credit that was the main thing. I wish all Freelander/Land Rover owners Good Luck. I will never own another Land Rover as long as I live.
  • I am new to the forum, but I to have a LR nightmare. I own a 2004 LR Freeland that I purchased in May of 08 and the LR dealership has had in longer than I have. It started with the check engine light, we finally got that resolved and then I started having coolant leaking problems. It is at the LR dearlership as I speak and after being there for over a month. They called me today and said that I to have a head gasket leak and they could get me another engine (used of course) for $9,000.00. My sunroof doesn't work either. My LR has less than 80,000 miles on it and I think that this should be a factory defect. I did not buy the LR from a LR dealer but I believe that the dealer I bought it from knew they had problems and did not tell me about it. If someone know the name of the attorney and telephone number that is handling the class action lawsuit, please send me the information I would like to add my name to the list.

Thanks for any advise that I can get.
  • Add me to another Freelander po'd owner.

Here is the situation I'm in -- my daughter drove the car ( replaced fans, temp gauge and thermostat) and continued to have an overheating issue -- she was told it needed a water pump and timing belt ( anywhere from $1200 -- $3500 replacement cost). I had it towed to my home at a cost. NOw my local shop says they can't diagnose the problem, or duplicate the overheating and don't want to replace the water pump, timing belt based upon another shop's diagnosis.

I made the assumption after reading these posts, that the underlying problem is probably the head gasket -- she was smelling coolant in the vehicle. The overheating caused the timing belt to crack, is that reasonable?

Anyway, I contacted the lawyer posted above, and they state they would like a copy of the repair estimate -- which my current shop WON"T give me, as they couldn't find a problem and want to charge me hundreds of dollars to investigate the problem.

Seems like everytime I turn around, I get more confused. I'm ready to junk the vehicle, although it looks perfectly new -- what a travesity to find out that a defect in ALL the engines is known, and there is no remedy!
  • I received a letter from land rover about a recall on the fuel pump on my 03 freelander. Problem is the fuel pump went out on me in 07. Land rover says I can't get reimbursed because I didn't take it to a land rover dealership to have it replaced. How can I resolve this issue? Does anyone know? I paid $887.00 I would really like to get some money back. This car has cost me more than I like to think about.
  • Hi His name is Howard Gutman & he is in New Jersey. He is working on my case as well as others with Freelanders. My 2003 needed the new engine at 40,000 miles. It took my Freelander being towed to the LR dealership 10 times (really) before they figured that I needed a new engine-mine cost $15000-it was not under warranty anymore. After I got the new engine-I waited 6 months while my LR was outside in the rain snow & sleet-I figured that everything was fine. Not the case. 4 months after the FIRST engine (& 8 more times to the dealer) I needed ANOTHER new engine!! So I googled Land Rover lawsuits & found Mr. Gutman. As far as I know he is in contact with LR & is trying to get the class action together ( last I heard from him he still needed more people to file). Hope this info helps.
  • Good luck. Land Rover North America never helped me once. They returned my calls after I left 21 messages with them plus 2 faxes. That took 5 weeks. I just left another post with the class action info it that helps you. The LR dealership I used didn't help either. They could not even figure out the problem in the first place.
  • i freaking nightmare indeed! ; (.....i love the drive of the socalled expensive priced car but the problems i have had are endless and then some. i owe i lil bit under what you have i have all ready had the problem w/ the coolant not being where it should and causing burn off. i kept thinking the car was overheating so i kept putting coolant in it which the instruction manual says to check every now and then. the problem a mechanic found where the leak was sealed it the best he could main problem found is that alot of the parts are plastic and whoever worked on the car b4 whatever they used to seal the parts (superglue) didnt quite workout well. that was 6months after i purchased the car used. now after lil over the year intake manifold motor 2 as well as fuel injectors are bad and need to be replaced another problem you just can't go to haps are napa and order parts for these freaking cars you have to go to dealer or my latest is i have found a few folks selling parts on ebay helps. anyways about 600 for these parts does not include the labor. allready i have spent 500 taking it to a place where the company i work for takes their company vehicles they kept saying there was nothing wrong but i knew it i could feel it in the way the car drove there was something wrong. but the parts are not the only problem there is an oil leak, leaking under the engine as well in parts where there should b no oil. the mechanic i have taken my car too says he has to take the whole engine out to find where this leak is coming from great. thought i could just take my 600 and put the money down on a used vehicle something other then a freaking landrover and just allow them to take the freaking pile of mess that is still sitting at the mechanics, but because we are in such financial times banks are making it harder for that so one very informative dealer tells me - leave the keys in the car and hope or just drive it off a cliff and if i have gap insurance then i am good to go on purchasing another vehicle.
  • After (6) trips and $2400 to Land Rover Service Center the Service light on my 2002 Freelander is still coming on. Is there a fix for this problem??
  • Here is my list of problems with my first and last land rover.
    Bought the LEMON in April of 07 with 43,000 miles: First problem--sun roof stopped working in august of 2007, Thermostat housing went out in Jan 08, November 08, and July of 2009. My rear passanger window stopped working in May of 2008. My heater works randomly-started acting up in mid 2008. The check engine light came on in July of 2009 and stayed on until December 09. First check engine was a bad ignition coil, replaced. 3 weeks later the coil and injector in cylinder #3 went out again. The ignition wire had rubbed against the valve covers and shorted it self out. I have had the cooling system worked on 3 other times also.
    In December, a camshaft, vaccum hose, wet sleeve, all failed. It is at the shop waiting for a new engine--under warranty.
  • I bought my Freelander 2 years ago, problems started from day one,i bought it in winter time, never used the Ac when summer came in, 2 days later AC stopped working, Water pump, went next, then brake light. after that windshield wiper blades, one stop working that cost about 700, just for one blade that stop working had to get a motor for that!. after that passenger window motor went off.. then sunroof got stuck, stop working didnt wanna fixed it. so they closed for good, and disconeted, not to mention i need 2 tune ups, everytime is around 900 for each tune up. Engine check light keeps going on off all the time. so does the incline light. for no reason. sometimes the alarm just go off on its own. recently felt like the transmission going off. so took to the shop. they told me timing belt is going off, we're talking about 1K, and they had to change a part that stops the engine from vibrating too much, the part cost 400 alone and they told me it need a part to fix all the vibrating and kinda chocking problem the part 1400 plus labor.
    So i stopped fixing and just looking to trade it in or pray for a windy day so the tree out side of my garage falls on top of it.
    Dont get involved with Land Rover. Period!!
  • mighty_momighty_mo Posts: 2
    My Landrover freelander just landed at the Port, imported from Japan and I can't even get it home. timing belt has so far been replaced but still has no compression hence needs new valves. have spent so much on it and i still have not had use of it. I wish I had access to group class action, unfortunately am in Africa.
  • justwilljustwill Posts: 5
    The Land Rover Freelander (or as I call it the FREELOADER) is one of the worst vehicles I have ever owned and I am 60. I bought it for my youngest daughter when in her last year of college. It lasted 39000 miles and was out of warranty when the head gasket blew and probably some other motor problems. They wanted a smooth $250 to check and see what was wrong with it. Then a smooth $2300 to fix the head gasket if that was all that was wrong with it. To hell with them and their junk.
    Now I have a 2004 yard object, parked since mid 2009. The LR Company and Dealership is pure BS. Their cars are junk!!!!!!
    Ask me how I know as I also own a 2004 Disco bought new (wife just had to have one) it's also a half-assed vehicle as well. Always replacing the brake pads then the rotors. Ceiling lining falling out of it also. Plus one of the sensors almost as if on schedule goes out. As if it's regularly scheduled to do so. Never ran a drop of unleaded reg in it the whole time only premium gas but still problems.
    THEY ARE THE WORST CARS AVAILABLE ON THE CONUS, YUGOS don't have anything on them. Need to always spread the word of mouth as to how bad their cars are and see if we can't put them under. God help you if you have a Land Rover Freelander or Disco
  • justwilljustwill Posts: 5
    Nothing with the name Land Rover on it could be good. Fool me once shame on me, there will be NO fooling me twice!!!!!!!!!
    Good Luck Sucker....................
  • allan21allan21 Posts: 2
    Thanks , i am from South Africa, had 3 Freelandsh<ts :sick: , the last one a 2005 HSE, Feul pump packed up, then the transfer case packed, 3 turbos, brake pads every 20 000km (12500 miles) When i wanted to sell the vehicle Landrover didn't even want it, i lost R40000-00 (3500 p) on it. Well i am in heaven now as i got rid of it and bought my wife a Toyota Fortuner. If someone maybe read this and wants to buy a Landrover, ANY landrover DONT DONT DONT that could cause you to want to kill yourself, the only reason i didn't i had kids and they would have had to sit with the piece of sh*t, if you have one drive it down a mountain or burn it, thieves wouldn't even want to steal it even if you leave the key in................
  • allan21allan21 Posts: 2
    HI, i sincerely hope you have sold the vehicle by now. But if not get your mechanic to remove the Driveshaft to the rear wheels ASAP, this is a common problem these vehicles have endless problems with the Transfer case and the rear diff. Mine did exactly the same just the other way round, the cars transfer case packed up,(About $2500) the mechanic i took it to worked on the car for 6 years and knows the piece of sh*t, he then recommended that i emmediatly take out the driveshaft which then makes it a 2 wheel drive but at least the rear diff couldn't get damaged as this was common.

BURN IT !!