Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Freelander problems are infinite

Comments

• da2da2 Posts: 4
    My 2005 Freelander was a replacement for a defective 2004 Freelander I purchased at Paul Miller Land Rover in Parsippany, NJ. The problem starts with the check engine light coming on which, when out of warranty, costs $136 for them to "diagnose" and wipe out the code. They know, meaning all LR dealers, know what the true problem is because it is consistent across all car forums, databases, etc., with these trucks. First you will hear it's coils & hoses, then the thermostat needs to be replaced (est. $990 not including labor ), then the manifold cracks (est. $1875) the cylinder liner slips, head gasket goes and your engine is now shot ($10,490). There are clear cut manufacturing defects in these trucks from 2002-2005 which explains why they re-engineered it and changed the name to the LR2. If you own one, trust me this will happen to you eventually. Be sure to log a complaint in the NHTSA's database at: www.safercar.gov and call Land Rover's NA HQ at 1-800-637-6837.
  • da2da2 Posts: 4
    I absolutely LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my 2005 Freelander! I just put a new lemon scented air freshener in it because it is now sitting in my driveway with a blown engine.
  • ricolricol Posts: 1
    I've had my Freelander for about two years now, the past year it has been a headache, last week the transmission stopped working, will need at least $3,000 to replace it. Anyone selling a working transmission, please let me know.
  • glorygirlglorygirl Posts: 1
    Purchased my Freelander in Sept of 2008, with 40K and not two weeks later was it back to the dealer for the first repair to the coolant, thermostat overheating problem. in Nov 2010 the same overheating, coolant loss problem was allegedly repaired (again). After 15 visits to the dealer for various other extended warranty repairs in less than 28 months, in late Feb of 2011, just 7 days after the 60K maintenance service was performed wherein all fluids were topped off, the car overheated and the coolant reservoir was totally empty. Upon delivering it yet again to the dealer, I was told there was oil found in the coolant and the engine had failed due to the overheating! Upon going through the LRNA Admin process patiently and courteously, they made me an offer to pay off the existing car loan. This was on April 6, 2011. On April 15 I counteroffered requesting out of pocket repair costs and a portion of the equity in the vehicle, graciously accepting the loan pay off as well. It is now May 13, 4 weeks since my counteroffer and they refuse to contact me.
    I was wondering if the threat of going public with a local consumer affairs televsion spot or lawsuit would get their attention and my money!?!
  • Same issue with my Freelander! I see many things out there on lawsuits in NJ & NY but I live in PA. can anyone help guide me in the right direction?
  • I have a 2003 Freelander with major motor issues and less than 60,000 miles on it. I took it to the Land Rover dealer I bought it from because It was using antifreeze and we never saw any on the ground. Long story short antifreeze was in the oil. They dropped it off saying if you drive it will blow the motor. So I now have a ticking time bomb in my yard that cant be driven. I have had the car for just over 3 years. I still have a loan on it. The car has depreciated over $14,000.00 since I bought it and that is only if it runs. I bought a warranty from Land Rover (third party) which is another waste of money. Now I am being told they cant repair it and Land Rover Corp says repair is not a option. I love this car and there is nothing wrong outside or inside except the motor I just cant believe the only option is to junk the car. I live in PA and I have not seen and lawsuits or and legal action against Land Rover in my state, please help!!!
  • I wrote an email to LR usa customer service, and heard back from them promptly. Unfortunately for me, is that when I had the LR dealer tell me the same thing, I didn't have it in writing. I didn't have the cash to tow it 100 miles to a lr dealer, and in addition pay the hourly rate for them to tell me what I already knew.

I would suggest you contact LR before an attorney to see what they would offer you. My plan was to ask them to buy back my vehicle. They wouldn't talk to me because I didn't have anything in writing that the engine was blown and was not even worth repairing.
    Another problem is that even blue book prices have gone down so low -- I think it's down to $3900 for that vehicle -- I just traded my 2003 and they offered $2500, and I took it -- just to get that lawn ornament out of my drive. The car is worth nothing-- it costs about $5 for every mile you put on it.
  • I am so sorry to hear of your situation! I cant believe how many people are affected by this engine issue.
    I am so glad form the start I documented every person I spoke with what they said and the date and time. I have pages and pages of typed notes just dealing with this motor problem in my car.

I talked to LR Corp. they are no help they don’t think this is a problem with this practical model. Lol! Right!
    They offered to buy back this car for $2500.00 which less then I owe on the car right now. I just cant believe the way I have been treated by the LR dealer and LR corp. I spent more money on the car then I should have thinking that LR makes reliable cars and it would be worth every penny but I was sadly mistaken!!
  • da277da277 Posts: 2
    Tell LRNA you want them to buy the car back. Have your repair receipts and documents well organized. Send letters via certified mail. Keep calling them. Join every car forum you can and post about your issue. Annoy the hell out of them on all their FaceBook pages. You don't need an attorney to get resolution for this!!!!!
  • They did offer to buy it back for much less then what I still have a loan for. I am not going to give up and I will try anything to make this right! Thanks for the comment!
  • Hi,

Is this problem only with 2003 Freelanders? or is it across the entire model spectrum? I'm reading about the new Evoque, with a Ford Ecoboost engine...I don't think Ford would market a lemon engine...as LR did with the Freelander engine.

Comments here will be appreciated...
  • I bought a 2002 Land Rover Freelander without doing any research on the vehicle. It has 90K miles. I drove it to work. Engine light came on. Took it to a mechanic and it had three codes. Coolant temperature sensor and the other two had something to do with the intake plenum. He said the engine is no good so it sits at his garage. The seller said it was in excellent condition and he was the only owner. Carfax showed it had three owners and a replaced head gasket and two engines. I'm not buying a engine because it's more than what I paid for the car. How can I get rid of this paperweight?
  • I have a 2008 freelander with a noise in the rear diff
    the mechanic says I need a new Diff at a cost of £1000.00
    Landrover said they do not want to know as it was 5 weeks out of guarantee when they checked it
    My wife passed away suddenley 3 months before and so the Landrover was the last thing on my mind at the end of the guarantee period but still they would not listen
    Anyone have the same problem?
    If that is thier attitude with a new customer I will NEVER buy another Landrover
  • I too have reaped the rewards of purchasing a high quality, reliable 2003 Freelander. Not only is the engine in this gem blown but the electrical is also garbage. We've replaced the solenoids in the engine, a coolant leak in the engine, and now the engine is blown and the treasure is parked. The mechanic has announced it needs a new engine which is $3000 plus the labour to install it. Best part is that this is the second engine this vehicle has had. The first one went at 30,000 kms but warranty covered it.
    The power sunroof is broken as well as a power window. I have experienced nothing but problems with this vehicle and cannot believe the quality that Landrover exhibits. I contacted Landrover who as asked for the receipts and quote for the engine but seem displeased that it is not at the Landrover dealership. Perhaps if they would like to pay the tow bill to tow the truck 2 hours to the dealership they can certainly have a look at this treasure and draw their own conclusions. The kind representative also told me that the warranty on the vehicle is only 4 years or 80,000 kms so apparently this disposable vehicle is guarateed to fall apart after that and Landrover then makes more money off the parts and labour to maintain them. This is the worst vehicle I have ever come across and now I seem to be stuck with this planter in the dooryard. I will never buy another Landrover and have no problem letting people know the quality and care that goes into their vehicle and their customer service standing behind their products. Terrible that there are so many other people that share this negative experience.
  • kat71kat71 Posts: 1
    Hi, I found Paul (message #85" or pjohnesq) on this site and the whole process takes only about a couple of months. This was THE most simple part about my Freelander. I contacted him through email and everything was through email. He handled everything and is an incredibly down to earth, trustworthy gentleman.The process could not have been any more straightforward and I am so happy I emailed him! I thought maybe becasue the car hasn't run in over a year, or that I purchased outside of LR dealer and repaired by my mechanic I wasn't a candidate to be compensated. Landrover setrtled and check is on the way. I can not stress how easy he made all of this. I hope it helps and believe me there is nothing sweeter than receiving a check to cover all the pain and money that LR has caused! shame on them.
  • IF I WOULDVE KNOWN WHAT A HEARTBREAKING AND TERRIBLY EXPENSIVE, HORRIBLE PURCHASE MY FREELANDER WAS GOING TO BE....OF COURSE I WOULD HAVE PREFERRED A BIG WHEEL!!!!! THIS HAS TO BE THE WORST CAR A PERSON CAN OWN!!!! IT SITS IN MY DRIVEWAY MORE THAN I AM ABLE TO DRIVE THE DARN THING!!!!!
  • I took the seller to small claims court and luckily he agreed to buy back the Freelander. This will be the last Land Rover I'll buy.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,012
    Cool beans. Did the seller agree to buy it back before you actually went before the judge?

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• yano1yano1 Posts: 1
    I purchased a Freeloader 2004 in 2008 and from the gong it gave trouble.I changed the thermostat, the brake pads and rotors, the ignition coils, the roof liner AND NOW THE REAR WINDOW regulators or busted the fuel pumpis busted and the engine is vibrating like crazy. I change some of the engine mounts and the viscous coupling bearings to no avail. This vehicle is driving me crazy. Anyone with solutions please HELP
  • kayotekayote Posts: 3
    No. We went to a mediator. He didn't want to admit he was wrong about the condition of the Freelander but he agreed to refund the money.
  • I bought a 2003 Freelander back in 2006. I paid 14,000 for it with less than 40k miles. I thought, "wow, a low mileage Landrover in good condition for a decent price!" WRONG! This car has not been driven since 2007. I have some VIS power motors and scensors that are bad, already replaced the fuel pump, a drive shaft and I am not even sure if i buy these things if it will even fix the car. I have contacted Landrover and they are asking for documentation of all the work. Has anyone had any luck with contacting Landrover? Or should I just push it off a cliff?
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,012
    Thanks for the update.

On another note to the rest of the forum members, please don't post email addresses in the forums. Links are okay.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Hi Everybody,
    I own a 2005 Freelander with 50,505 miles on it and after experiencing many many issues including most recently several coolant related issues, just learned that I too, now need a new engine. After having bought the car back in 2006 from my local dealer (had been a service loaner), and having only put roughly 30k of the miles on the car myself, I'm completely disappointed to say the least. The dealer says it will cost a minimum of $10k to fix it. The vehicle came with a warranty which lasted until 2010. It sadly, has had too many warranty repairs to count and once the warranty was up it became a money put, more less. I've been in contact with Land Rover North America and am waiting to hear back from them. They seemed rather prepared for my call. I also own a 2009 LR2 and that vehicle is the complete opposite of the Freelander, so if there are any Rover loyalists left that own or had owned a Freelander the LR2 does not compare. I'm hoping I don't have to involve a lawyer to resolve this, but appreciate the info that's been posted about the lawyer that has helped others. Will repost once I learn more. The downward spiral on my car was a coolant leak that lead to the thermostat needing to be replaced, followed by a cracked hose and coolant reservoir, and now coolant mixing with the oil, which sounds like a cracked head. Oh, and I also need to replace a motor in the back driver side window (one that's had little use) which is going to cost me $700. Thanks for listening. As several mechanics told me, "Sell it while it's still running!". Not that you really want to pass this mess of a car onto anyone else.
  • My 2005 Freelander has basically been written off and the dealer has offered me up to $3000.00 in goodwill for my vehicle.
    With only ninety five thousand kilometres my vehicle was diagnosed as needing a new engine at a cost of 8000.00. To add salt to the wound the local dealer charged me over 200.00 to give me that bad news.
    I feel powerless against the power of landrover and the indifference of the customer service department that I am trying to deal with.
    I have already spent several thousand dollars on this vehicle only to be told it has experienced a known issue with the gaskets that cause coolant to leak into the engine.

Any suggestions.
  • Hi guys I bought a 2003 Freelander last Friday I drove it Saturday and it started to over heat I call the guy I bought it from says he never had any problem with the car it has 68000 miles on it anyone help please what can I do? The saying if ony I knew came a week too early I don't have money to even start to fix anything like I heard the guys saying is wrong with. It. The guy took me to his bank and paid of is loan with the money I pay him what can I do help please'
  • da277da277 Posts: 2
    Unfortunately you are not going to like my suggestion - get rid of it...and quickly!! This is a sign of many more expensive problems to come if you don't. sorry to be the bearer of bad news!!
  • Me too and I am so angry about it. I had the same issue with the coolant and they told me it would be $11K to replace the engine. Dealer offered me $3K out of good will. My family has bought 5 Range Rovers over the last decade-ish and this Freelander. So ANGRY I could scream. Not to mention the fact that I love my car. I'm sad to see that i'm not the only one dealing with these issues. Steph
  • yvonneb1yvonneb1 Posts: 3
    Hi Steph, I am sorry to hear that you have the same issue. It is a crime that LandRover continues to get away with this but they do. My only comfort is in the fact that so far I have persuaded three people not to buy a LandRover based on my experience to date. I will continue to share my story in the hope of moving people away from being place that I found myself in.
    I have a friend who suggested I organize a picket at the LandRover shop and call the media to report on the picket.
    In the meantime I am still waiting on my 3,000.00 dollar cheque from LandRover for the buy back of my vehicle. Nothing like adding salt to the wound.

Good luck to you in finding a solution to your problem.
    Yvonne
  • I've never posted anything on any thread ever, but I have to voice my disappointment in this car. I'm sad that others experienced this never-running nightmare of a car, but I'm also glad someone else knows what I'm dealing with.

Did the landrover dealership offer the $3000? Because that sounds a lot better than my plan of driving it off a bridge and spitting on it as it burns. I would feel wrong to sell this car to anyone other than back to landrover due to how much money it consumes. I have been filling up the coolant every week for the past 3 weeks and I have replaced the head gasket on it before when it was still under warranty. I don't have the money/patience to do it again. Also, same thing with the window motors not working and the doors never unlocking. If the dealership doesn't buy it back, I don't know what I'll do with it. Hopefully something therapeutic. ...and legal.
  • I'm sorry that happened to you. No one will say that, even from Land Rover. It's a bad car - actually got someone to tell me that but only after $3,000 worth of repairs after 5000 miles and on the heals of them telling me I needed a new engine for $11,424 installed making the value of the car worth a grand total of $4000 on the open market. Problem: car overheated - head gasket blew - engine toast - no warning. I had the car for 3 months. Freelander 2004.