Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is There Room in the Luxury Market for Hyundai?

Comments

• bobadbobad Posts: 1,587
    and that, my friend, is all I'm saying here - just replace Samsung with Hyundai. In both cases not necessarily anything based in fact - only in perceptions.

And I'm saying precisely the same thing. If we could insert the word "dumb" before "perceptions" in your above sentence, then we've resolved all our disagreements.
    same way $300-$400k is much more than I would be willing to spend on a silly house (in Texas)

East Texas? If so, I think we've crossed trails. Do you own a fishing pond by any chance?
  • captain2captain2 Posts: 3,971
    If we could insert the word "dumb" before "perceptions"
    dumb would obviously have to be only an opinion.
    I assure you that there is a whole bunch of real differences (that aren't merely perceptions) between many of those German (and Japanese) sedans and anything that Hyundai makes - and also that the folks that want to pay for those differences aren't dumb at all. They want what they think is the best, are willing to pay for it, and probably don't give a hoot about what others think - just like you.
    no, don't fish much - but, yes, here in East Texas, $400k will get you 4000+ sf on a golf course!
  • jlindhjlindh Posts: 282
    I used to own one of those but was surrounded by scabs. We left.
  • fintailfintail Posts: 33,726
    OK then. 06 Sonata owners are ahead of the curve?
    But a Sonata is perceived as mostly a Camcord at mostly a Camcord price, so what's the difference? :shades:
  • acdiiacdii Posts: 753
    edited March 2010
    The reality is, Hyundai cars are presently much better than they are generally perceived to be.

Yeah, That!

I always had the perception Hyundai made throw away cars, why, because I used to work on them back in the 90's, and they were not well known for reliability or quality.

Come 2008, Chicago Auto Show, There is a bunch of Hyundais with some really nice looking cars. I sat in the Veracruz, and said, "This is a Hyundai?"! We bought one a few weeks later. Other than the mistake I made getting a FWD instead of AWD, we loved the car, and had it not been FWD, we would still own it.

Not saying there is anything wrong with the Veracruz being FWD, it is just where I live, I thought I could get by with FWD, and discovered that AWD is one of those necessities needed to keep my family safe, and this was to be the family car. It just did not handle wet slushy slippery snow as well as it should have and had a tendency to swing it's back end around on the roads where I live. It had more to do with the crappy roads where I live, that barely get plowed, than the car itself.

All in All the VeraCruz is a worthy opponent when it comes to a luxury CUV, right up there with Lexus, surpassing it in several areas in fact.
    I got rid of a Camry for a Ford Fusion, an American car, because it has a stiffer, more controlled ride than the Camry.
    good for you - but there is a reason that the Camrys of the world outsell everything else by such a large margin. Toyota, in particular, has generally done a good job understanding that Americans generally do prefer 'soft and floaty' and their sales have proved it - year after year. Think of the traditional American 'luxury' sedan, bloated and sloppy by any reasonable definition, and otherwise enveloping its occupants in a veritable cocoon.. That, is what I mean by 'too American' . Hyundai is often taken to task for the same reason, as they endeavor to attract some of those Camry customers.
    Hyundai knows what they are doing and I think knows what sells better at least in this country - just like Toyota does.
    I got rid of a Camry for a Ford Fusion, an American car,
    PS the Camry is an American car - your Fusion is a Mexican car.
  • toyetoye Posts: 351
    Well then the Sonata, Santa Fe and the Tucsan is an american car since they are built in Alabama
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,722
    I don't think the Tucson is built in Alabama. The Sonata is, as is the Santa Fe currently. Santa Fe is moving to Kia's new plant soon (alongside the new Sorrento), with the new Optima moving to the Hyundai plant. At least that is what I have seen rumored.
    yes, Hyundai should be applauded for spending all that money here in America and employing all those Americans. Just like the J3 have been doing for years. Conversely the 'American' branded companies are doing pretty much the opposite and need to be avoided for precisely that reason.
    edited March 2010
    But a Sonata is perceived as mostly a Camcord at mostly a Camcord price, so what's the difference?

Not much difference, probably $2-$3K, feature for feature.

The best thing is, it gives you 1 more viable choice when shopping for a mom car.

The Genesis Sedan gives you 1 more legitimate choice when shopping for a luxury sedan.
    It is still an American car, Mexico is still part of North America as far as I know! The Fusion is better built than previous generations of Ford cars, so good for them for having it built in Mexico. The Camry is built in Kentucky, and it shows, poor quality, poor fit and finish. I'll take the Mexican built car thankyouverymuch.
    It is still an American car, Mexico is still part of North America as far as I know
    yeah right, those Mexicans can't wait to help us with our deficits, fund our silly bailouts, health programs and/or pay our educators, police officers and fire fighters.
    edited March 2010
    The Sonata products introduced today at the New York Auto Show are simply amazing and if the specs match up to reality then they may arguably become class leading automobiles longly held by Japan.
    ~270hp turbo 4....Sonata...slushbox only...should be amusing in the torque steer department, wrist-snapping. The Genesis coupe NEEDS that engine.
    I think in another Emund article it said that the coupe will get it.
    Well, when the sheep vote in the people who piss away all that money we are forced to give them in the form of taxes, do you really expect them to? Look at it this way, at least the ones building the cars are still in their own country, using Mexico's resources instead of coming here illegally sucking down on ours!

If American Union workers would build a decent car, Ford wouldn't need to go outside our borders to have it done. Heck if non Union workers gave a sh*t about the work they did, more cars would be built here.

All in all, if you look at what is left of US manufacturing, we have less than 1/8 what we had after WWII. The majority has been shipped overseas due to cheap labor, and the products we get now are crap compared to what they used to be. The appliances made in the US are garbage, I have a couple pieces of junk that I bought thinking that they would be good products because they were built here, well, now they collect dust and have been replaced with things made elsewhere, and not from China either.

In any case, The Ford Fusion that I own is a better built car than the Camry I had. The former, built in Mexico, the latter built in Kentucky.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,575
    I think y'all need to take it to Buying American Cars What Does It Mean?.

Hyundai sales are blowing the doors off. Anyone buying a Genesis? (AutoObserver)

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

"The 2011 Hyundai Equus, which will start at $55,000 when it goes on sale in the U.S. in late summer, made its official debut on Thursday at the 2010 New York Auto Show. The Equus is the most expensive Korean vehicle to hit the U.S. market, and whether or not it will be accepted by U.S. consumers will be a critical test for Hyundai."

Pricey 2011 Hyundai Equus Debuts (Inside Line)

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

If they do nothing to further differentiate it from Hyundai's more mundane offerings (reputations and perceptions) then history will repeat itself. Can you say Phaeton?
    Reputation? You must have missed the sentence in my link about Hyundai owners harassing their Toyota driving neighbors about their cars running out of control. :P

• lemkolemko Posts: 15,168
    Ugh! Even without that screwball hood ornament and busy grille, it doesn't do anything for me. It all looks like a sloppy afterthought. The hood badge looks like a patch for the holes where the hood ornament was mounted and the grille looks like a poor imitation of a Pontiac's! Try again!
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,168
    ...is the new Sonata. I saw a new one in the parking lot at work and it is a commendable effort. Camry, you're toast!
  • fezofezo Posts: 9,348
    edited April 2010
    Yeah, the new Sonata is a wonderful looking car in and out. Were the local Hyundai dealer not a swine we could have been tempted.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,722
    Hey, look--no hood ornament! Huge disappointment for all those folks looking forward to getting that classy hood ornament on the Equus! ;)

It's almost Shakespearean... Much Ado About Nothing. :)
    Or it's been photochopped

I want to see that new turbo 4 put in an Elantra or something...H needs to show a wild side :shades: