Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is There Room in the Luxury Market for Hyundai?

Comments

• backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,618
    Unlikely they'll "clean it up". It's the standard Kia grille style and has been for some time, going back to the 2009 Optima in 2008. There's a similar grille on all the new Kias except the funky Soul: Forte, Optima, and Sorrento.
  • captain2captain2 Posts: 3,971
    Have you ever even driven a Camry XLE and a ES350 back to back? I have and there was a world of difference between the two vehicles in regards to quality, refinement, ride, etc;
    EXACTLY - there are a lot of folks that think the high end Camry and the ES are nothing more than rebadges done at the Toyota plants in Ky. Not the case. The ES as other Lexus branded products are actually assembled in Japan and do use parts (engine, tranny etc.) that are exported to Japan from here. The other differences in the ES's' fit/finish and interior qualities is largely because it is a Lexus and not a Toyota - a justification (for some) for the $15k premium- along with a demonstration that the Lexus 'badge' does indeed have some value . It's not like you are getting screwed buying an ES - the Camry XLE and the ES are hardly the same car - as you say.
  • houdini1houdini1 Kansas City areaPosts: 5,768
    Is that the standard bow tie windshield also?

2013 LX 570 2010 LS 460

I don't know. Can you tell me what a "bow tie windshield" looks like?
  • houdini1houdini1 Kansas City areaPosts: 5,768
    I know, I have never seen anything like it before either. I am referring to those weird little cut outs on the upper corners of the windshield. Supposedly to harmonize with the bow tie grill. Does that help?

2013 LX 570 2010 LS 460

Well, I wouldn't call it a "bow tie". But I think it looks kinda cool. I just wonder: 1) how much that glass would cost to replace, and 2) if that design will survive to the real car. I'll bet the answer is "no" on #2.
  • captain2captain2 Posts: 3,971
    the Veracruz may be every bit as luxurious and otherwise comparable to an RX, BUT price notwithstanding the Veracruz will never be a luxury anything simply because it is a Hyundai. While I personally regard the lower end Lexus' (RX and ES) products as entry level, Lexus is nonetheless a luxury brand.
    A slightly upgraded Veracruz rebranded as a 'Genesis' sold for a few more $ and sold only where other Genesis' are sold, could easily find a place amongst 'luxury' vehicles, it is that good.
  • smarty666smarty666 Posts: 1,503
    What really is a pain with cars like the Genesis, Maxima, and Avalon is, when you load them up, even a little bit they really encroach into luxury division prices despite the fact your still dealing with mediocre Hyundai, Nissan, and Toyota customer service and dealership experience, which obviously improves when you move up to a luxury division!

the question is, it worth it to pay the money or spend the same if not a few thousand more to move up to the luxury divisions, namely Infiniti and Lexus; I forget Hyundai doesn't have a luxury division! that really is what makes the Genesis an oddity!
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,023
    I forget Hyundai doesn't have a luxury division! that really is what makes the Genesis an oddity!

Why is the Genesis any different than the Maxima and Avalon?

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

• toyetoye Posts: 351
    RWD is the main reason
    edited February 2010
    I'm sorry for the way that came out and I should have been more specific; the reason why the Genesis is an oddity, is not only RWD but Hyundai does not have a luxury division like the Maxima and Avalon do; the Maxima has Infiniti and the Avalon has Lexus

you have the option if you don't want to stay with Nissan and the Maxima of going up into the G37 in Infiniti and if you don't want to stay with Toyota and the Avalon you have the option of going into a ES350 in Lexus; if you don't want to stay with Hyundai and the Genesis you have no choice; Hyundai has no luxury division comparable to Infiniti or Lexus - that was the point I was trying to make!

if Hyundai is truly going to make it as a serious competitor against Toyota, Honda, Nissan, VW, GM and Ford I think at some point in the next 10 years they are going to have to establish some sort of luxury division because all of their major competitors have one, Honda-Acura, Nissan-Infiniti, Toyota-Lexus, GM-Cadillac, Ford-Lincoln, VW-Audi, and Hyundai-???

what do you guys think? will Hyundai have to do this to stay competitive?
    V8 the other.
    Also remember the Equus is coming this summer or fall
    edited February 2010
    But the G37 and ES350 are not good comps to the Genesis. Better comps are the M and GS. And they are much more pricey than the Genesis. You do pay for that luxury brand label, and what comes with it.

I think Hyundai will start a luxury division eventually, once they have more than one vehicle to put into it. The Genesis has given Hyundai credibility in the high-end market. I think that was needed before they started up a luxury division. As I've stated earlier here, the next-gen Veracruz, the Genesis sedan, and the Equus might be enough critical mass to start a luxury division. Hyundai also has a fancy smaller crossover SUV they have put out as a showcar that could be added, and maybe they could create a luxo version of the Genesis coupe.
    Hyundai will do it on their own schedule and not what anybody else thinks when it should happen, I'm sure they are studying the Toyota mess and will be double sure it nip things in the butt if a quality or safety issue arises.
    the V6 versions are good to compare to the ES350 and G37 Sedan because they are very close in price and have similar equipments

I do agree that the V8 Genesis is harder to compare because the ES and G37 have no V8 options and then if you go up to the M and GS your talking a huge price increase over the V8 Genesis
  • bobadbobad Posts: 1,587
    I do agree that the V8 Genesis is harder to compare because the ES and G37 have no V8 options and then if you go up to the M and GS your talking a huge price increase over the V8 Genesis

Sounds like a great dilemma to have! I'll take mine in blue. ;)
    Why is it always price? Hyundai offers more value for the dollar. I am really surprised folks haven't figured that out yet.

The ES350 is FWD and much smaller insider than the Genesis. The G37 is considerably smaller than the Genesis. Neither offers a V8. The M and GS are RWD, both offer a V6 and V8, and are closer in size to the Genesis.
    To some people LUXURY=ONLY BIG $$$!!!! :shades:

People are now believing that you can have true luxury without spending 50K!!

I went to a local Hyundai dealership the other day to see the new 2011 Sonata, (another huge bulls eye)and the front of the dealership had late model of 3 MB, 3 BMW and 2 LEXUS. That my doubters says it all!!!!!
  • bobadbobad Posts: 1,587
    I went to a local Hyundai dealership the other day to see the new 2011 Sonata, (another huge bulls eye...

I'm reading about people driving the 2011 Sonata out of curiosity, and ending up owning one. That seems to be common in the Genesis, Veracruz, Santa Fe, and Sonata. That's why I stay away from the dealer.