Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is There Room in the Luxury Market for Hyundai?

1231232233234235237»

Comments

• fintailfintail Posts: 33,704
    This is per the Fall 2012 "Auto Kauf" buyers guide published by "Auto Motor und Sport" (probably the most respected car rag in continental Europe). The 2013 "Auto Katalog" published by the same source also lists the Genesis coupe with 4cyl (EUR 6K less) and 6cyl.
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,808
    I'm just reporting. The Genesis isn't on Hyundai.de so I was curious and dug around.

I did check out Auto Motor and Sport's website and they have a test. They didn't seem critical of it and noted a price of E36K for the stick and an adder of E1900 for the slushbox.

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/fahrberichte/hyundai-genesis-coupe-gt-coupe-m- it-nordschleifen-schliff-4317073.html
    edited November 2012
    Some European maker websites are unexceptional.

Maybe prices increased - the paper I have claimed 39.5K for the V6. Still seems like unexceptional value compared to the US - almost like they are kind of wanting to not make it. The magazine indeed doesn't say it is bad (although seems to complain about declining interior material quality), but for the money, it's a toughie. The Genesis sedan not existing there (not to mention the Equus) also says something. Maybe not so many upmarket aspirations there.

Could be worse though, I flipped the page and saw the Infiniti FX50 for a mere 75.6K, which is significantly more than say a diesel Range Rover Sport there.
  • crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Posts: 2,345
    but I anyway would spend 60K+ in a different way.

And we now know that you did...
    Hey..if the Hyundai had a diesel, maybe it mighta stood a 4% chance against the MB..

I had a thought on the Equus sitting too high..mighta been someone who has difficulty getting in and out and parks it raised for easier ingress/egress. It just might have been thee reason the guy bought it..

Then again he mighta been just clueless.. :sick:
    Well, leased 60K anyway. I bet I got it cheaper than I could have snagged an Equus too - rates I have seen on those make Hyundai look pretty proud. The Korean barge might be more luxurious - on paper anyway - but I don't regret my choice.

I was assuming the Equus had adjustable ride height, and the driver didn't know how to set it. Or to be optimistic, maybe he had it set for some of the second world quality roads around here.
    You would think that Hyundai would have learned the merits of humility by now..
    Oh well..maybe they need another shot in the arm..I guess we'll see.

I must say, I'm not much of a fan. Plus, many of their cars still smell odd inside. Might be the hemp they use..

The last car I had that had height adjustable susp was a Subaru XT6. It was very trick and got looks letting itself down after leaving the car. The only time I used it for its intended purpose, (as opposed to entertainment, ha) was if there was a big fall of snow in the driveway. It would automatically lower itself if you left it in high position on the highway..somewhere around 45 mph or so..
    I am somewhat surprised they haven't been louder about the Equus. I think the bland design might be holding them back. The eventual replacement will be touted louder, but still have a tough row to hoe. i am sure it is a fine car for what it is, but isn't quite the big German equivalent that the execs want people to think, nor an LS.

I am scared of unconventional suspensions, given what I know about older MBs. Not a question of "if" it will have issues.
    fintail, came here to reply to a post you made in "I like manuals because" thread. I see it is a Read Only thread now.

Re your comment about wanting a bike with a light clutch pull, definitely check out any of the mid to lower cc class of Ducatis. I couldn't believe what a nice light clutch they had (trying it in the showroom). They have become very popular with women or anyone with shorter fingers for that very reason. I haven't driven any of them (the 690's? and 800's?) so can't comment on clutch take-up. But Ducati are known to cater to details like that so I bet they feel great..
  • steverstever Ex Yooper, en route to New MexicoPosts: 40,499
    edited March 2013
    There is another sandbox to play in still:

The Future Of The Manual Transmission

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Thanks, Steve..I knew I have seen fintail in different forums but couldn't think of which one off hand, and had a recollection that I owed him a reply here I had forgotten about. ;)

btw way, once he see's it here, feel free to nuke it if you want just to keep this one clean