Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VW Jetta Sportwagen

Comments

• dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,426
    Don't forget to claim diminished value on the jetta. It is worth several thousand less after an accident. Same thing happened to a relative and they got "
    $2000 for diminished value.
  • ggeeooggeeoo Posts: 94
    Yes, does yours have the big sliding glass roof and the luggage carrier.
    The radio that takes the flash drive. The Blue tooth phone? I got all this in
    Southern Calif 2010 at CapoVW fo 26,500.00 :)
    It is wonderful. On rainy days it makes the interior of the car light and Cherry.
    My wife does not like strong sun so the automatic sun screen is marvelous.
    It reminds me of the 21 window VW Bus of the 1969 but the TDI has VAROOM!! I bought standard cross bars online Rack.com 69.00 I carry my Kayak and my Sea Snark on top no problem. It nice to look up and check. :)
    Go to your VW Dealer ,GET the TDI. I am of the opinion b/c gas is hard to come
    by the GAS station are blending the gas and getting lower MPG. If you keep the Car invest in a set of Nokian Entyres these are quiet and improved my MPG by 10 MPG no joke. If you drive SNOW get the WR.
    Get the TDI you will visit the Fuel Station 1 month vs twice a month. :)
    I live in Newport Beach Ca I drive 7 hours to Tempe AZ to visit my daughter.
    I can make it on 3/4 of a tank. I drive using cruise control at 65 MPH. I also installed Nokian Entyres the give me a additional 10 MPG. My car has 26,000
    miles on it oh what I ride . Don't you love the radio with the flash drive slot.
    How about the 110 outlet. :)
    This is not TRUE. FIRST move the front seats all the way forward. Then release
    the back seat split fold them down with the HEAD RESTS still attached. Move the front seats where you like them. You can store stuff in one hidden chamber and one just above the tire. You can put 8 foot surfboard and a angle. :)
    In my youth Diesel was far cheaper that GAS. When this economy comes back gas will be more than Diesel. Gas in Santa Domingo is 10.00 per gallon diesel is cheaper. Get ready America. Diesel has other features God Forbid a crash happens gas catches fire easily Diesel does not. Now in Newport Beach Diesel\
    is priced the same as mid grade Gas. Get the TDI you be driving it for the next 10 years.
    I used to be a outside sales for Xerox I put 50,000 miles on a Car. I wish somebody offered something back then like the TDI. I had four kids so the Oldsmobile Station Wagon was my choice MPG was maybe 13 MPG but gas was 50 cents a gallon. The TDI on cruise control is 50+ MPG even though your not paying it your manager might keep you if you spend less. In addition VW
    TDI has a great crash test rating. Gas can catch on fire easier than Diesel.
    Obviously Diesel is no problem on the HWY because all the Trucks use it. Your
    teenage daughter that needs to charge her cell phone will love the 110 outlet.
    You can shave with your electric shaver or the wife can blow dry her hair after
    that impromptu swim in the lake etc on your next road trip. At XMAS the tree fits in the wagon. :)
  • eliaselias Posts: 1,898
    edited April 2012
    gggeeeooo, VW probably *did* offer you the Diesel Dasher (!) back around the time when you were an outside sales rep for xerox in your 13 mpg oldsmobile ! (1980s?). or if it was the 1970s, there was always the microbus :} .

TDIs are great for driving 50k per year - I can vouch for that - saved me thousands in fuel costs yearly for a decade or so...

ps - good luck with that blow-dryer in the car's 110V outlet...
  • cosmocosmo Posts: 203
    Another solution is to wipe the headrest posts with a paper towel soaked in WD-40. The posts are tight when new, and the WD-40 loosens them up so they slide up and down easily. I carry a small screwdriver (smaller than the one in the VW tool kit) in the glove box for occasions when I want to fold the seats flat. I just stick the screwdriver in the release slot (it stays there without holding it) and pull out the headrest. It also makes it easier for rear seat passengers to adjust the headrests.
  • carteachcarteach Posts: 179
    I usually drive an AWD wagon. Wondering what experiences any of you have had with this car in the snow or slippery conditions.

Thanks for your input.
  • cosmocosmo Posts: 203
    My experience is that the VW FWD TDI's with ESP and studless winter tires are superior to AWD rigs with all season or mud and snow tires on ice and snow. In the past eight years my greatest challenges driving Cascade Mountain passes in blizzards has been getting around the AWD and 4WD SUV's and crossovers that get stuck going uphill or end up in the middle of the road after spinning out. Studless winter tires mounted on winter steel wheels are less expensive than an AWD option, and the FWD versions of almost all models get better fuel mileage than the AWD versions year around. Of course, an AWD rig with studless winter tires and traction control and stability control would be optimal for winter conditions. But who drives in snow and ice all year long? We've owned two 4WD SUV's with stock all season tires, and I would chose any of the 3 VW TDI's we have owned over either SUV in a blizzard. I have chosen to invest in the studless winter tires for traction in the winter and still benefit from the better fuel mileage throughout the year. I have driven Audi Quattro's, and I appreciate the improved handling AWD provides on most road conditions, but I don't drive that aggressively anymore. By the way, before the advent of traction control and stability control, FWD Audi's were found to outperform AWD Audi's in cornering and braking on ice. The Quattro's were better at accelerating and hill climbing on ice. Would I trade our Jetta TDI Sportwagen for an AWD version if VW made it? Nope.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,426
    I concur. I have studless snows for all three of my vehicles and much prefer it to AWD with regular all seasons.

It is amazing how few people realize that for every uphill there is a down hill and for every acceleration there is a deceleration. AWD does nothing for you most of the time. On top of that not being able to stop is much worse than not being able to go. 4 snow tires help you all of the time, not just some of the time.

Of course if you run snows with awd you have the total package - congrats. I would still prefer fwd for the added economy.
  • jayriderjayrider Posts: 3,250
    If the roads are icy, the only thing that helps is knowing how to drive on it. Those Alaska troopers seem to do fine with rwd and snow tires. Skill, technique and experience are a factor few factor into the equation , hence all those awds' in the ditch.
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Posts: 4,085
    I concur with the lat couple appenders. *MOST* people do not need AWD vehicle.

Contrary to what the TV ads tell us, on pavement there is absolutely no benefit to having AWD.

Cars have ALWAYS had 4-wheel brakes, so AWD does nothing to help you stop.

Also, AWD adds weight, complexity and more moving parts to a car... all of which detract from MPG while adding expense.

With that said, I live in Vermont and Subaru is the most popular vehicle (perhaps every 3rd vehicle is Subie) Vermont has a lot of dirt (mud) roads which may not even be plowed in the winter.
  • carteachcarteach Posts: 179
    So, just to clarify. Are you comfortable driving a FWD with snow tires in Vermont? As comfortable as you would be in a Subaru? I live in CT where we get a considerable amount of snow though not as much as you do. I also have a 1,000 foot driveway.

Do you drive a Jetta?
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Posts: 4,085
    edited May 2012
    You asked "Are you comfortable driving a FWD with snow tires in Vermont? "

ABSOLUTELY comfortable! (even without "snow" tires) I learned how to drive on snow-covered roads. I taught my kids to drive on the snow by FORCING them to slide around in empty parking-lots. (I would grab the parking-brake and then let them recover the skid) They have since thanked me several times when they found themselves sliding and knew EXACTLY what to do without any fear.

My *only* fear on snow-covered roads is out-of-staters who have no clue what they are doing and tend to slide into other cars.

I will say that the ESP on my VW almost makes snow-driving not fun because it will not slide sideways. The ESP is uncanny at keeping the vehicle from getting into a slide.

Do not forget that VW has a lot more than you may expect

ESP - Electronic Stability Program

Contains all of the following abilities:

Anti-lock Braking System (ABS)
    Anti-slip Regulation (ASR)
    Electronic Differential Lock (EDL)

These all work together when you accelerate in the snow.

The EDL system will apply brakes to the wheel which is trying to spin. This forces the torque to the OTHER wheel.

If that does not work, The ASR will cut the throttle to keep the tires from spinning.

I can attest that all these fancy systems work together to make driving a FWD VW in the snow very mundane and uneventful. I can dump the clutch and mash the throttle... and the vehicle will simply pull away from a stop smoothly with no spinning of the front wheels...and in s STRAIGHT line.
  • Just bought a 2013 JSW TDI. My 1st diesel & so far very impressed. Apparently, not allowed to tow anything with the DSG tranny ( although I read that's somewhat bogus, as it's allowed on the same cars sold in Europe ). Planning a trip, so plan to use one of those cargo carriers on the roof rack. VW locally wants about $350 just for the two cross bars that attach to the rails. That seems a bit steep to me. Has anybody tried any aftermarket crossbars they're either happy or unhappy with? I can't seem to find many reviews on these things online.

Thanks,
    Fred
  • jayriderjayrider Posts: 3,250
    You can probably google the crossbars and get a less expensive model. Be aware that the load on the roof can seriously affect stability and handling on the interstate. Passing trucks and crosswinds can make things real uncomfortable. I speak from experience using one on a vw golf. They do have light weight trailers that can handle a lot of gear --- that might be an option -- or rent a minivan or pack real light. ;)