Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VW Jetta Sportwagen

Comments

• When can we expect to see the 2011 models in the showrooms of our local dealers?
  • 2011 Sportwagens have been on the lots for a couple of weeks here in the DC area.
  • andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,600
    IIRC they're identical the 2010 Sportwagens, it's the sedans that are getting (larger)
    new bodywork.

2000 BMW 528i, 2001 BMW 330CiC

• Hey Everyone,

I'm in the market for a new car and have been considering the Sportwagen. I'm debating whether it is worth my while to go for a TDI or consider the SE. I currently drive less than 10K miles per year and I would say 75% are city miles. I drove an SE model and was a little disappointed with the engine. Unless you put the pedal to the floor from a dead stop, the car seems to hesitate before it gets going.

Any thoughts are appreciated.
  • asaasa Posts: 359
    edited September 2010
    Go with the SE. With so few annual miles and most of them being city miles, the TDI will be a poor choice. The TDI's Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) performs a regeneration cycle every so often and does so optimally at highway speeds. Short city trips can interrupt the regen cycles and if interruptions happen often enough and regen cycles aren't completed, the expensive DPF will plug and require servicing. Too, with such modest annual miles, you'll never recover the TDI's higher price in fuel savings. Good luck with your purchase.
  • pmaupmau Posts: 8
    Hi
    I am planning to buy sportwagen. I have two questions

1. Does RNS-510 navigation system in vw support dvd playing while driving. Normally it would stop playing when the vehicle is moving. I saw a hack on youtube that shows how to make it play even while moving? has anyone tried that. I do not see a point in advertizing that it can play dvds if its not going to work while moving.

2. I am thinking of the cornsilk beige interior. The car salesman told me that it gets dirty on the armrests etc. Is it so? Any experience related to that will help me.
  • 1. It is my personal opinion that anyone that hacks their Nav to watch DVD's while driving should have their driving priviledges removed. You might not care about your own life, but please think about all the children in the back of other cars.

2. Everything gets dirty the same way, but beige shows it. This is the downside, the upside is that it looks better, and doesn't get as hot. I personally prefer black, because it doesn't show dirt, but I know that it is just as dirty as beige.

Mico
  • >

You mean the first 10miles of driving?

Thanks...
  • pmaupmau Posts: 8
    I disagree to point 1. If you are disciplined to drive with out looking at nav screen, it is fine. Its could be like listening to radio. The reason I want the dvd play is for the front passenger and rear passengers ( I think there is enough space to view the screen through the gap in between front seats).
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Posts: 4,085
    Yes I do mean 10 miles.... When it is -15F outside, do not expect much heat from the engine inside the cabin. (And I cover the grille in front of the radiator too!!)
  • Has anyone done a reprogram of their TDI's ECU? There are a number of companies selling upgrades which show increases in torque and horsepower. I am planning to have the upgrade by Revo Technik. It promises increases of 20 HP and 50 to 55
    lb/ft of torque. The cost is $499.
    I read previous posts regarding installing/replacing the sunroof wind deflector. I
    originally ordered a Weathertech deflector and could not get it to fit. I contacted
    the supplier who contacted the German manufacturer and they told me that the
    deflector for the Tiguan would fit. It was a simple installation and gives enough
    clearance that I did not have to remove the OEM pop up wind screen.
    I have had my 2009 SW TDI for just over 15 months and my only major issues
    have involved numerous unwanted interior noises. I have had the car back to
    the dealership 4 times trying to solve a creaking noise coming from the passenger
    side of the sunroof. It is about 80% solved but still creaks over rough surfaces
    at low speeds. Other unwanted noises that have been solved include "buzzing"
    and rattling in the doors and one of the B pillars. I also find that the sound when
    closing the doors and rear hatch are not a solid thunk, but more of a tinny sound.
  • I live in the North East and was wondering how the Sportswagen handles in the snow? - does it fishtail, skid, etc...

Thanks..
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,432
    Snow handling depends far more on tire type than vehicle - within the same category that is. Front Wheel Drive cars.

It should be fine with all seasons and will do better than most SUV's if you give it 4 snow tires.
  • Does anyone happen to know if the Sportagen is classified as a sports car for insurance purposes and, as a result, cost more to insure?

Thanks..
  • asaasa Posts: 359
    We compared Sportwagen TDI (no sunroof, no nav system, factory Bioline wheels)insurance with Subaru Forester (2.5X Premium) insurance and Sportwagen was higher by only 5%. I think the difference had more to do with Sportwagen's somewhat higher price than it's sports credentials. The Sportwagen TDI is indeed a blast to drive tho -- the torque comes on in gobs and it sticks to the road like no car we have ever owned before.

If you want a comparo in your case, visit Dealers on a Sunday so that you'll not get hassled, and jot down the VINs for models you wish to compare. Give your insurance agent the VINS and they'll likely be able to run your numbers.
  • I understand the SE model does not come with DSG, but with a different 6 speed auto transmission. Is that because the DSG was specifically designed for a diesel engine? If not, what's the difference between the two?

Thanks..
  • colammycolammy Posts: 10
    My '09 SEL has DSG and a few other upgraded features the TDI doesn't have (18" tires, real leather, 3 position memory drivers seat, controls on the steering wheel, dual air, faster motor, etc....it's actually much closer to the Audi.) I don't know why they don't have any SEL's in their '11 line-up. Sure it costs more - but for us, we could see the value.

Two years later, after all the research, we're getting rid of her and going back to an SUV. Just need more passenger space. :( So sad!
  • I know exactly what you mean ..There's no car in the $25000 range that drives the way these Jettas or Passats are driving; - the way they're hugging the road, etc. My concern is just like yours - lack of space, as I have a wife and 2 kids...very gut-wrenching decision ...
  • wldwld Posts: 1
    Can anyone tell me the cargo length of the Sportwagon: the length from the front seats to the back door in inches? I need more than 60".

I am planning on using it commercially and putting around 72k miles a year on it if its cargo area is adequate. Do you think the sportwagon is a good option for this, or would you recommend another vehicle? I am a little concerned about build reliability and cost of repairs.

The sportwagon seems to be the most cargo space with the best mpg currently from my research so far. Thanks.
  • Is anyone else having issues with the automatic door locks on the 2009 Sportwagen? This issue becomes apparent after trying to lock my car via the remote and it not beeping. If you open the door the alarm still goes off, but the door opens. :mad:

I had my rear passenger lock go out about 6 months after buying the car, and recently my driver door is showing the same symptoms. I'm about 3k miles from the warranty expiring and am going to have the lock replaced ASAP. But I'm wondering if this is a widespread problem or if it's just my vehicle since it was one of the first Sportwagens. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Kim
  • YES!!!! Our car is at the dealer now and they are telling us it's going to cost $450 to replace the "faulty mechanism" in the passenger back door. Our warranty has expired but they admitted it's due to a faulty mechanism. We are waiting for the service manager to call us back. We experienced the very same thing with the driver's side door a while back (we've had the car now for a little over 2 years) and it happened periodically. I'm furious that they are suggesting we cover this cost when it seems to be a common problem in certain vw models. I suggest you speak with your service provider about it so when you're warranty expires they have documentation that this is a pre-existing condition.
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Posts: 4,085
    edited November 2010
    You are funny - this has been a "preexisting condition" in VW / Audi for over 10 years.... welcome to the club.

With my wifes 2003 Jetta, we have to use the key inserted into the drivers door to enguage/disenguage the locks and alarm. It is farrrr cheaper than having it 'fixed'.

It all started years ago after the drivers window was left open and there was a summer thunderstorm. The drivers-door lock has never been the same since.
  • wear1wear1 Posts: 1
    I have a 2010 SportWagen TDI and there is a rattle in the dash on the passenger side when I reach 70 miles per hour (unless the weather is warm when it will do it at lower speeds). I've taken it in twice to have the dealership try to fix it with no success. The last time they said they adjusted the glove compartment door. It sounds like it's coming from behind the glove compartment. Anyone had a similar experience and had any luck determining the cause and, hopefully, the fix.
    Thanks!
  • State Farm charges me basically the same for a 2011 Sportwagen SE than they did for my previous 2002 Mazda Protege 5, with comprehensive coverage on both. The Sportwagen was considerably cheaper to insure than the Honda Fit, for example.
  • lcw1lcw1 Posts: 35
    Purchased a 2011 Jetta TDI Sportwagen auto one month ago with sun roof as the only option.
    After months of studying and test driving cars it come down to the Audi A3 TDI, Gulf TDI and Jetta Sportswagon TDI. The Audi was a real pleasure to drive but the price tag of 32,500 was a bit over the top especially when a comparable Golf TDI could be had for $8000 less. Another turn off with the Audi are the leather seats since there was no other option. The hardest decision was choosing between the Golf and the Sportswagon and it took over one hour looking at them side by side before deciding. I come back from 1000 miles HWY trip carrying 2 passengers and traveling the speed limit at 70 mph and using the AC. The gas mileage come to 41.5 mpg while on cruse most of the way . Driving at 60 mpg around town netted 42 mpg. So far I drove the car a bit over 1800 miles and coming from the likes of Toyota Tundras and Chevy conversion vans I am pleasantly surprised with the comfort, handling and especially the mpg.
    Should I expect better gas mileage going forward? Most of my driving will be in Florida with 10% city and 90% hwy at 60 mph or less .
  • karlkraskarlkras Posts: 1
    edited July 2011
    Why have the VW engineers not been able to figure out a better system for managing the rear head rests? Maybe I'm going out on a limb here, but it's a pretty good bet that those purchasing a sportswagen are probably going to want to fully flatten the rear cargo area on occasion. In such cases you have to remove the head rests... I tried this just now and have failed. Frankly I don't have enough time to futz around with screwdrivers and really don't want to risk damaging anything because I'm not smart enough to figure the darn thing out...
    Got the two main rests removed, but the middle one won't budge (or I'm afraid to yank on it any harder) so I'm just going to lay it down normally and forgo laying it flat for now.
    Why is it that the folks at Chevy can figure out a simple hinge locking/unlocking design that simply allows the head rest to unlock and flop forward (without removal) in such a configuration, but German engineers can't seem to work it out?

Other than this, it's a great car... but come on.
  • dartmodartmo Posts: 1
    Thinking of buying a 2011 or 2012 JSW TDI, but am concerned about the issues with the fuel pump and extensive damage. I saw that there was an investigation into a possible recall on the 2010's and 2009's. Has this been resolved at this point? Any concerns about similar issues with the new models?
  • jfdsccmjfdsccm Posts: 8
    I am new to this forum and looking for a small wagon. The JettaSW has a lot of positive characteristics. But the local dealers only have the TDI. Although the better MPG is positive, the higher price for diesel and that I only put 7000 miles per year makes me wonder if the TDI is worth the extra $2500 compared to the SE. Any thoughts and help would be appreciated.
  • eliaselias Posts: 1,904
    IMHO you are right to avoid the diesel with such low miles per year.
    Diesel fuel costs the same as super unleaded around here, and provides almost double the mpg, but with only 7000 miles per year i would go gas. I might even go gas HOG with such low miles per year.
    The VW dealers can procure the exact gas model you want with exact options, but depending on various factors, you might have to wait a couple weeks for it - or maybe months in the worst cast.
    If you put down a deposit it is fully refundable until you actually take delivery.
    best wishes!
  • I would recommend all of us who have problems to post it on youtube and facebook and all social media sites. Otherwise, we will not be heard.
    My 2010 TDI has had the following issues, none of which were due to driver error:
    1. Standard transmission problem; 3rd gear hiccuped at 1800 rpms
    2. AC hose blew
    3. ECM had to be replaced
    4. Radio had to be replaced.
    5. Sunroof stayed open and would not close
    6. Condensation problem and recall part must be installed.
    7. Cruise control does not work.
    * the car has been to the shop more times than I care to mention but I will, close to a dozen.