Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota is on the Offensive. Will it work?

Comments

• steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,273
    I think more of the recent Toyota news activity has been in Toyota in 2007.

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• rockyleerockylee Wyoming, MichiganPosts: 13,989
    I do not know if they are playing offense anymore ? It appears to me they are on the defensive because all their top executives that knew how torun the company right have jumped ship.

So the question is who's going to replace these "key guys" ??? I guess if product quality gets to bad they can always dust off the once secret playbook from the 90's. :P

-Rocky
  • drfilldrfill Posts: 2,484
    But this "Corporate Raiding" could be one of the best things to happen to Toyota! ;)

DrFill
    But this "Corporate Raiding" could be one of the best things to happen to Toyota!

How ?

-Rocky
    It certainly thwarts any complacency. New execs, new thoughts, new initiatives. Scion, as successful as it is, could use a shot of new ideas, for example.

It reinforces Toyota's standing, so it may attract top execs from elsewhere. If the competition buys their execs from there, maybe that's where I should be?

Maybe the company will work harder on compensation and reduced work schedules (Toyota execs are worked like Carlos Ghosn.).

And the company can build a plan for such contingencies. The company can be forced to adapt, and react better to such unforseen circumstances.

But, in the short term, it won't help the company.

A little introspection can't hurt. It hurts, but the company will grow stronger from this. ;)

DrFill
    I doubt any of em' out work Wagoner. I read he puts in 18+ hours a day some days and has been doing it for years. :surprise:

-Rocky
    Wagoner has a trifle more work to do, no? ;)

DrFill
    Perhaps, but it seems Wagoner's company is on the upswing.

Toyota, while not doing bad by any means seems to be expierencing some issues across it's company. I'm sure in time they will be able address them.

Ghosn, well he went from being king of the mountain to well king of a mole hill, eh ? Based on what I've seen he was a bit over hyped as hindsight is 20/20 for most people. ;)

-Rocky
    Over the past 5 years! They've both produced some of their best product ever. :shades:

They're comers.

I don't know what Ford is doin'. That dog don't bite! :sick:

DrFill
  • carguy58carguy58 Posts: 2,303
    "I do not know if they are playing offense anymore ? It appears to me they are on the defensive because all their top executives that knew how torun the company right have jumped ship."

Well maybe it was just time for a shake-up at Toyota I mean there is a reason for everything that some things happen for a reason.

I think Toyota's branded product(minus Lexus and Scion) has gotten too predictable since 2003 and in some spots since 2000 maybe as well except for the 2007 Camry.
  • gotoyotagotoyota Posts: 280
    Well maybe it was just time for a shake-up at Toyota I mean there is a reason for everything that some things happen for a reason.

I think Toyota's branded product(minus Lexus and Scion) has gotten too predictable since 2003 and in some spots since 2000 maybe as well except for the 2007 Camry.

I agree... but I also think it could have something to do with the fact that Toyota pays its executives much less than other car companies pay their execs. Jim Press, as much as he appeared to love his job at Toyota, was there for a very long time...29, 30 years?? And when Chrysler came knockin', he wasn't about to "jump ship" when Toyota was on a roll, to take the helm at nearly orphaned Chrysler unless there was a very large pay increase involved. I don't remember the figures, but I read an article about him in Motor Trend several months ago, and it mentioned that his salary was a fraction of what Nissans Charles Ghosn was paid, for example. But his departure will not have a major impact on Toyota in the near future. The way Toyota is run extends all the way from the C-level guys to the laborors - it's a culture, not a business plan. It has been that way for years and is credited as the reason for their success. Toyota/Lexus/Scion will be fine without Press, but they might have to pony up a few extra dollars to retain top talent going forward. Who really knows. Maybe Press was just bored with being on top and wanted a new challenge - Chrysler would certainly fill the need.
    It could be a very good thing to get some fresh blood at Toyota's senior level. As much as I like them, I still find myself wondering at times why Toyota doesn't produce anything that feels as "fun" as a Honda or as serious about driving as a BMW. They have the talent, but all their cars have a certain disconnectedness about them. I have learned to trust and respect them over the years I have been driving, and I've never driven anything that impresses with quality like a Toyota, but I still find myself yearning for something with more soul from time to time. The "fun factor" in a Toyota seems more coincidental than deliberate. I hope the new leadership has a little more passion.
  • joe97joe97 Posts: 2,248
    First Meyer, then Press, and now Farley, all in just a few months...something brewing in the Toyota land?

FWIW, I wish all three the best of luck in their future endeavors. Those are good people, as learned firsthand from talking with them at various events over the past few years. I trust their departures were for good reasons.

Further, more indicator an unstable auto market, with executive shuffling going on all over...
    Yeah, I'm curious to see what happens next. Who's Farley and what was his/her position? I hadn't heard that one. I just hope their successors can bring some passion to the company. As good as Press is, and as much as I respect his leadership, he wasn't passionate about cars.
  • joe97joe97 Posts: 2,248
    Who's Farley and what was his/her position?

1) oversaw the launch of Scion

2) general manager of Lexus

3) group vice president of marketing of Toyota

He is now going to Ford as its group vice president of marketing
    Thanks for the info. The one thing that is obvious in all of this... Toyota execs are clearly not "jumping ship" as some of the naysayers are so quick to "point out." Sure, Toyota has its struggles - and that is to be expected with the growth they have experienced over the last two decades - but they are on top. Ford, GM, and especially Chrysler are the ones bailing water. I don't mean that as an offense toward anyone, because I actually feel glad about GM's recent turnaround and I'm genuinely hopeful that all three of the Big Three are successful, but it's true that they have been the ones scrambling to redefine, reshape, reinvent, etc., to prevent further market share loss. It's apparent that they're putting on the full court press (no pun intended) to bring in new blood. Who better than the top US brass from Toyota/Lexus/Scion?
    Well I don't recall GM, taking anyone from Toyota, Lexus, Scion, help their turn around plan. I'm not saying that Ford, Chrysler, didn't need the help. ;) I'm actually glad both (Ford, Chrysler) of them hired these ex Toyota, executives. ;) I personally would of liked Jim Press, to work for GM, but his skills are in need at Chrysler. :)

-Rocky
  • carguy58carguy58 Posts: 2,303
    "I personally would of liked Jim Press, to work for GM, but his skills are in need at Chrysler."

Yeah but GM already has Bob Lutz why would you want Jim Press for if you already have Lutz? Ironically, I think Jim Press is the best "Car guy" Chrysler has had since Lutz departed there back 7-8 years ago.

Yeah your right though Jim Press's talents are needed at Chrysler I mean Chrysler's vehicle line-up is very weak right now with the exception of a couple models.
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Posts: 4,228
    Toyota posted its first loss in 71 years. The quality if it's cars, while still outstanding, is slipping. The company's timing on new products, such as the Tundra, is no longer stellar. These setbacks raise the question of whether mighty Toyota is beatable. I say it is. Not any time soon, but eventually. As we learned from GM, no company is invulnerable.

I can't predict, at this time, who may unseat Toyota. Maybe nobody will, but Volkswagen and Hyundai are candidates. Or maybe it will be an alliance of companies that hasn't been formed yet.
  • chetjchetj Posts: 324
    the lady who cuts my hair bought a rav-4 and i work at a D3 supplier..i have known her a long time and i told her i am replacing her w/ a asian hairdresser...she has a nice --- so i guess i can almost forgive her, she wouldnt buy GM cuz of govt warranty...ravs are assembled in japan i think...toyota will be king for awhile but car bizness is pretty competitive...i only buy from detroit cars assembled here, i dont like sending $$$ to asia
  • chetjchetj Posts: 324
    now that Gm dodge will rid themselves of legacy costs they should have some really good cars coming out...it will be real hard to find a bad rig by any company...GM and toyota have always hired each others engineers
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,668
    Rav4s are now built in Canada.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,693
    that this thread got resurrected, as Toyota's efforts have plainly been fruitless since the last post two years ago. They were left with massive overstocks of Tundra, so that the '08s have rebates equal to 1/3 of their MSRP or more, and the only volume automakers down more in sales than Toyota were the domestics. Meanwhile, Honda continues its steady and seemingly unstoppable gain in market share, and VW and Hyundai are picking up market share left and right!

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• lemkolemko Posts: 15,196
    I will still buy Cadillacs and Buicks as long as they still make them and make them in the United States.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    raise the question of whether mighty Toyota is beatable

At the volume they sell of course they are.

When you get big you're just not as nimble as when you were small.

Say you're producing Camrys at a rate of, just tossing out a number, 100 per day. You find a defect, and it takes 5 days to find a fix. You have 500 cars you have to recall.

I'm just using round number, bear with me.

If Porsche produces just 5 cars a day, they'll fix the problem with only 25 cars to recall.

There's just no way Toyota could maintain the quality level as they grew.

The question is, now that the market has forced them back down, can they get that higher quality level back?
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,668
    Toyota said about a year ago that they were not happy with their quality. You can bet that the company that wrote the book on quality is working to improve it. That being said, it is still one of the best, depending on the data you look at.
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Posts: 4,175
    If they bring more design to the future like they have with the hot selling Venza and Lexus IS models, then their offensive looks promising. Whether or not they gain respect with the "drivers" crowd out there is up in the air though. An IS350 Coupe with a stick would make for a great start :shades:
    I wonder, though, if the Venza is really bringing in any new buyers, or is it just cannibalizing the Highander, RAV4, and maybe even the Lexus RX.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,693
    Exactly. And IS the Venza, in fact, a hot-selling model? Or the IS? Now they will start to sell a $40-50K IS250/350 convertible. Not sure how many buyers that will find.

But it seems that Highlander sales are down with the advent of the Venza, something I thought likely before the Venza was introduced.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

It would be interesting to know what Venza owners traded in, and what they cross-shopped as well.
  • larsblarsb Posts: 8,204
    Venza on pace to sell 8,800 this year.

Not a hot seller.
This discussion has been closed.