Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota RAV4 Cruise Control Problems

Comments

• ces1938ces1938 Posts: 61
    Well Pam, you are doing much better than I have, he just blew me off and told me maybe I had better try another dealer some where... well keep in touch and let us know how it went for you with tech headquarters ... Charles
  • mlmcgaheemlmcgahee Posts: 102
    Thanks Pam... We have a total of 3 case numbers now.

(200708081405) Charles
    (200708081371) Mike
    (200708100591) Pam

To everyone who is reading this thread and have an 06 - 07 RAV4 with the Cruse Control Problem.

Call the Toyota Customer Experience Center at 800-331-4331 and get a case number like Charles,Pam and I have.

Tell them there are others with the same problem and reference our case numbers. The corporate guys get these comments/complaints... Maybe they will read these and light a fire under technical support for a fix to our RAV4 Cruse Control problem.

Post a message back here with your first name and case number so others can call and reference our case numbers on this problem.
  • sumrx4sumrx4 Posts: 40
    (200708101001) Gerald

Got this ref# Friday Aug 10th. My Rav4 is scheduled to go back to the dealer tomorrow for the 2nd time about this problem. Hope I don't have to make an --- of myself but I am not going to accept "this is normal" like I did in May. My best friend bought one a few months back and he travels the entire state of VA with it for his job. When I asked him about it he said he had not have any problems with his.
    I don't mind the car having a problem...what I dislike is it not getting fixed.
    Thanks Gerald... We have a total of 4 case numbers now.

(200708081405) Charles
    (200708081371) Mike
    (200708100591) Pam
    (200708101001) Gerald

To everyone who is reading this thread and have an 06 - 07 RAV4 with the Cruse Control Problem.

Call the Toyota Customer Experience Center at 800-331-4331 and get a case number like Charles,Pam and I have.

Tell them there are others with the same problem and reference our case numbers. The corporate guys get these comments/complaints... Maybe they will read these and light a fire under technical support for a fix to our RAV4 Cruse Control problem.

Post a message back here with your first name and case number so others can call and reference our case numbers on this problem.

Mike
    Thanks for your input crtzlow. Get back to us with your case number... The more we have, the better chance we have of getting a fix ASAP.

Mike
    Charles.... I think you have started something:)

Mike
  • rayray6rayray6 Posts: 12
    I have an 07 4cy Rav4 that I bought in May and the cruise control is unbelievably bad. I like the car in every other way, so I took it to my dealer once and they said it was "working as it is supposed to." I'm heading back tomorrow because I called and said it is just unexceptable. IMAGINE MY RELIEF TO FIND YOUR POSTINGS!

Thank you so much for the case numbers and additional ammunition with which to deflect their blame the victim attitude.

If you want to read other postings I've made and that I'll be taking with me tomorrow on RAV4world and other sites, here they are:

http://forums.automotive.com/70/6352094/toyota/2007-rav4-cruise-control-problem/- - index.html

http://www.topix.net/forum/autos/toyota-rav4/T4L9L8J535IQD8VBU

http://rav4world.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=116818&sid=6b1b7f54125104f1f35b01ffb- - 1373b3e

http://rav4world.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=119538#119538

http://rav4world.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=119344#119344

ces1938, "Cruise Control on 2006 Rav4" #1, 4 Jul 2007 8:21 am

I'll also post a case number soon, probably tomorrow.

Thanks again. Steve (RayRay6)
  • pam14pam14 Posts: 12
    The Toyota Customer Service representative called me yesterday. She indicated that Toyota engineers are aware of the problem and are trying to come up with a "fix."

She also tried to tell me that cruise control should only be used on flat roads--that cruise control should not be used for "hills." I asked her if cruise control should only be used in Kansas. I said I lived in central Missouri with rolling hills, not in the Rocky Mountains.

I also asked her what she meant by "hill:" the height, the degree of incline, and the length. She didn't know and changed the subject. I also said that if cruise control should only be used on flat roads that should be indicated in the owner's manual and a warning given to all buyers of Toyotas. (There's no glory in being right.)

I know four other 2007 RAV 4 owners and none of them have had this problem.

My local service manager has also talked with Toyota Customer Service to try and make them understand the problem--that this is not basic shifting to another gear, this is a transmission that goes nuts when ascending a "hill."

Basically I have two choices like the rest of you--either wait for a solution from Toyota or seek arbitration.

Thanks for listening to me vent. Pam
  • crtzlowcrtzlow Posts: 16
    Add mine to the list. This is my wife's car and I am dealing with all this for her. An email to Toyota resulted in the same form letter statement about not using on steep hills, blah, blah, blah, lockbox, etc.

And the winning number is:

200708140250 Cindy

As Bartell's and James said: "Thanks for your support".

Don
    Thanks Don... We have a total of 5 case numbers now. Keep them coming...

(200708081405) Charles
    (200708081371) Mike
    (200708100591) Pam
    (200708101001) Gerald
    (200708140250) Cindy

Mike
    We feel your pain Pam.... If we all stick together and complain loud enough to the right people maybe they will get a fix sooner....

Mike
    The dealer called me today and said everything was working correctly. They actually talked to my wife (I feel for them) and the lady tried to tell her that her car shifts when going up hill. My wife then asked her if her tach. jumped constantly from 2-5 grand and her response was "no mine doesn't do that, we'll look at again"
    I am going to call Toyota Again now.
  • rayray6rayray6 Posts: 12
    I took the service manager for a ride today and I was able to recreate the tac jumping, engine screaming, what-the-heck-is-going-on situation with my 4cy Rav4 on cruise control.

Rather than search for an appropriate hill, I find that it will do it on most any hill if you get to highway speed and set the cruise, then push the cancel button on the cruise control, let the speed fall 5mph and then push the cruise up to resume.

He agreed that something was wrong and took down the vin number and said he would contact Toyota and then call me. He called later this afternoon and said to bring it in tomorrow. He told me, "Toyota has a bulletin out on this." He said he needs to "adjust the ECM." When I asked what the ECM was, he said it is the computer. He also said he wants to "check some other things." So, I'm hoping this isn't a run around.
    Let us know what the Toyota TSB(Technical Service Bulletin) number is when you go in tomorrow. That way we can reference it to our Toyota Service Dept.

Mike
  • dana12dana12 Posts: 3
    Hello, I just contacted Toyota today and got a case #. I don't have it with me right now but they are supposed to contact me within 1 day. I am experiencing the same problem. I'll let you know what they say. Thanks Dana
    Just to keep you up to date with my situation....After talking with Toyota customer care I was advised to contact the customer relations manager at my dealership. They provided me with the name and also said that a copy of my claim was being submitted to this individual. In talking with him he said he was going to look into it today and if need be he would take it to a higher authority in Toyota.

This being said I would suggest everyone who has made a claim with customer care to call back and get the contact info for the customer relations manager at your servicing dealer and talk with him or her then call customer care back and have that info added to your claim. This may not result in a fix but it will add more info to our case.

It may take some time but we all know "the squeaky wheel gets the grease"
  • pam14pam14 Posts: 12
    Rayray6, The initial response from my Toyota service department was to replace the ECM (also called computer processor) and they in fact ordered a new part.

Before the part arrived my local service manager called me back and said they were now being told by Toyota HQ that the computer processor was not the problem.

Good luck, Pam
  • Just got back from the dealer....had to PROVE it had a problem! They finally admitted that it was not working right and would "get back to us next week"!!!!! I sure hope I don't have a wreck driving along.....sure won't use the cruise! I tried to call the number listed above to get a number....no luck. Will try again! I love my RAV and sure hope I don't have to switch to something else!
    My service writer called and told me they had "adjusted" the ECM. Never knew you could "adjust" a computer. After several minutes of conversation she finally admitted they never recreated the problem they just did this and wanted me to "try it out". After talking with the customer relations manager I think I have finally gotten someone to truly understand what my complaint was. He said he and the shop foreman would drive the vehicle later today and he would call me with their findings. Here's hoping!!