Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buying a Used Lincoln LS

dzenisdzenis Posts: 1
Hey guys, Well iam looking to purchase a used 2003 or 2004 lincoln LS. Iam looking to get the 3.0L v6 to save some gas money but I heard that the 3.0L v6 experiances more problems then the 3.6L v8, could this be true?

Comments

• Hi, I am thinking of purchasing a 2001 LS (V8). It is completely loaded, but it has 97000 miles. The dealer price is $9,700.

Would you guys mind providing your opinions? Thanks!
  • g45g45 Posts: 17
    This is a car designed to go 150,000 miles. If your car is in good cosmetic shape, and if YOUR mechanic says the car has no obvious problems and has not been in an accident:

Consider making an offer on the car. You would not go the full asking price, but after you do your homework you could consider making an offer.

I passed up a stick shift 2000 with 90K for $7K and have been kicking myself ever since. Your 2001 is a better car, without the 2000's startup problems. But for that kind of money it must be in good cosmetic and mechanical shape. There is no room $$-wise to put in more money AFTER purchase. Carfax and Autocheck are obvious must-haves as a precursor to your purchase. Get the dealer to pay for them if you can.

Good luck.
  • kingjameskingjames Posts: 3
    I dont know, I have 2000 ls with the v8 and i got it for 13900. no accidents excellent condition with only 36k miles on it.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,206
    Well, this is a sample of one, but my 2000 V6 turned 112K this morning on the way in to work, and a week from today I'm leaving on a ~7300 mile road trip to the Yukon. The only problem I've had is with the cooling fan, which isn't really an engine issue.

The V8 tends to have "issues" with the valve cover gaskets and/or COP's (coil-on-plug); one appears to be associated with the other. Either way, I haven't heard of it on the 6.

The '03 & later cars have a lot of nice little touches mine doesn't have. Hope you enjoy yours, if you get one.
  • jeyhoejeyhoe Posts: 490
    First of all, the V8 in the LS is a 4.0 liter and it is a Jaguar engine. Second, hard to answer your question. But I think the V8 might be a bit more prone to trouble just because the 3.0 liter V6, which is the much used Ford Duratec, has been described by more than one tech and opinion maker as nearly bulletproof.
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,622
    the V8 in the LS is a 4.0 liter and it is a Jaguar engine

Actually it's a 3.9L and while the block is a Jaguar AJV8 the pistons, heads, intake etc. are unique to Lincoln. It's an unbelievably smooth engine but as Steve noted it is prone to leaking valve cover gaskets and COP failures.

The only downside to the V6 is that it's not available with the Sport package (unless you're in Canada).
    Ah, what's a tenth of a liter amoung friends?

But the V6 most certainly IS available with the sport package. In fact in the first 3 years, it was available with a sport package which could have an auto-stick or what is known as a "stick shift" transmission with an actual clutch. I dont think you'll EVER see that in a Lincoln again.

If you're talking later years, the V6 may have been dropped from the sports package, I dunno. In 2006 I believe, the V6 was dropped altogether and only V8 LSes were built.
    Ahem - I bought a LS when they first came out and have been active in a group of LS enthusiasts that started right here on Edmunds back in 1999. I think I know what I'm talking about.

The sport and base packages were available on both V6 and V8 models for 00-02 including a manual for the V6. They planned the same packages (minus the manual) for the 03 models but the dealers complained about too many unique models so they only made base V6 models and sport V8 models for 03-05 and then they dropped the V6 models altogether for 06. Although in Canada you could still get a V6 sport or V8 base model.
  • maybelsmaybels Posts: 1
    Hello,
    I live in Canada and am considering buying a used 2000 Lincoln LS V8 with 254,000 KM which is almost 125,000 miles. I know the KMs for this car are really high but I am getting a really good deal. I will be getting this car for $5000 canadian including taxes.

Is this a good deal? The car is fully loaded with all options!

I test drove the car and it drove amazing like my friends benz or audi. Also, the exterior is perfect plus or minus a couple of dings. The car has been in no accidents and is being bought from a dealers auction.
    If it's in good shape - that's not a bad price at all. Look out for leaky valve cover gaskets and the COPS will probably need to be replaced if they haven't been already. Make sure the driver's side seat heater works and also the A/C - some will blow hot on one side or the other. You'll love it! Send me an email (look in my profile) if you want some other LS resources.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,206
    My '00 LS has just 5K miles less than the one you're looking at, and it's never been better (well, not really, but it's running strong). I just got back from a 7500-mile round trip to Alaska & didn't have any problems at all. The shocks are shot, though (lots of frost heaves up there & on the way), but that's a wear item, and they lasted well over 100K.

Remember, FoMoCo builds the cars that many use for taxis & limos, and they do last a long time.

The only thing I can think of that Allen didn't mention is the window regulators. For the first few years rear windows fell down regularly (the fronts sometimes, too) & it took a couple of tries before a sufficiently robust replacement design was developed & installed. Your car is old enough to have probably already had the ones replaced that were going to break.

Good luck! I think you'll enjoy the car if you end up getting it.
    How could I forget the window regulators? Chances are they've already been replaced with the new design but if not and they fail you can order a replacement for $30 and install it yourself in about 2 hours for the first time, 45 minutes after that.
  • Hey,

I bought my 2000 LS for close to 13,000 in 2004. It only had 64,000 miles. I have only put 20,000 miles on the car since I got it because I have had so many problems with it. I would be very careful with the choice you make. Think it over. My father told me this car is like the Titanic, it just keeps going down down down! :cry:
  • I love my LS for it's style, handling and power, it is a great road car. I am glad to have owned one, but for reliability I would give it a big NO!!! Do not buy this car, what a pain in the a@@ and everything is hard/impossible to work on. There are obvious design flaws in the car that should be recalled and are not. I read a forum that said not to buy one with under 60K on it, because by then most of the problems should be fixed. I bought mine at 58K and have replaced 6 COPS-coil over plugs, valve cover gaskets that leaked so bad they destroyed the COPS, coolant control valve, and now my clock spring is bad causing the cruise not to work and the airbag light to come on. The ignition key won't turn on 50% of the time, have to play with it., and the key bell stays on when you try to get out of the car and you have to push the ring around the key to turn it off. the third brake light melts the housing. Today the rear caliper hung up and smoked the pads. Why did Lincoln completely redesign the car after 6 years of production, and drop the LS all together??? This car is a really sharp car with all the bells and whistles that will leave you with a bad taste in your mouth, or I just OWN a :lemon: Oh, it's for sale in your price range, get with me, lol... I own a Dodge ram with 180K, good truck, 99 and 86 Corvettes, reliable, 91 5.0 Mustang Convertible, reliable car. All my cars have more miles and FAR LESS PROBLEMS.
    Posting only as a fair and balanced counterpoint - my 01 LS has over 90K on it and I've spent $0 on unscheduled maintenance. Tires twice and brakes once. That's it. I do need to replace the front sway bar bushings now due to noises, so that'll be my first fix.

Sorry to hear of your troubles with yours. Some of em are pretty reliable, some not so much I guess. Used cars are pretty much a crapshoot.
  • I will also provide some balance. I have one of the earliest LS V8s - built 4/99. In about 110,000 miles, the only issues I have had were 2 bad COPs ( at over 100,000 miles) and a faulty heated seat element. (also over 100,000 miles) Mine is as tight and quiet as ever and still runs like a champ. It has never leaked or used a drop of oil.

There were a couple of TSBs for the PCM that were performed early in the car's life but otherwise mine has exceeded expectations. I know from reading all of the posts that this is not always the case so I am not trying to convince anyone to buy or not buy a used LS.

If I recall correctly, someone long ago posted some data showing the most problematic LSs were built early in the 2000 calendar year. The really early ones like mine tended to be pretty decent and the '01s were much better. Window regulators, heated seat elements, and leaking valve covers were well known issues in the early days. I really haven't heard of any common flaws in the 2003s or newer.
  • Are yours V6 or V8s? The V6 is a tried and true ford design while the V8 is a "new" Jaguar design, totally different animal. Mine is an 01 with only 68K miles, not abused or neglected. Beyond the engine, the only problems I have had are the coolant control valve and clockspring, not too bad.
  • The AJ V8 was first used in Jaguars around 1997 and is the same basic engine used in LS V8s, although the LS had a tad shorter stroke and lacked variable valve timing until 2003. If I recall correctly, it made the Wards 10 best engine list for some time. Valve cover sealing in the spark plug holes was an issue for awhile but otherwise the mechanicals are sound. It is one of the smoothest and most refined sounding engines around. I love to hear mine sing to 6500 RPM.

Jeyhoe will jump in here and talk about his V6 but I think he has one of those rare birds where you actually push in a clutch pedal and move a lever around to change gears. Rather quaint......
    the LS had a tad shorter stroke

1 mm shorter IIRC (85mm vs. 86mm).

I remember when Chris Wardlaw was Editor-in-Chief here at Edmunds and wrote that Ford couldn't even figure out the displacement on the AJ V8 with Jag calling it a 4.0 and Lincoln a 3.9. I wrote and tried to explain that the stroke was different which made the displacement different between the two engines. His reply? What does stroke have to do with displacement? Gee, I don't know - which glass holds the most water: the tall one or the short one (same diameter)?

And this was the so-called Editor-in-Chief of an automotive website. There were other issues with that bozo but that's my favorite one.
  • I remember that. There was someone, maybe the same guy, who couldn't figure out why there was no battery under the hood.