Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buying a Used Lincoln LS

Comments

• akirbyakirby Posts: 7,622
    Yep, that was him. He also complained about the trans shifting which we LS owners already knew could be fixed with a TSB and a new PCM program. So I sent him an email telling him there was a TSB to fix it. So he chose to "test" the service writer and just complained about the poor shifting to see if they'd find the TSB on their own. They didn't and he didn't bother to tell them to check the TSB. As a consequence they continued to drive the car another few months, all the while complaining about the poor shifting that could have been fixed months earlier.

Then again, if these guys were really good automotive journalist they wouldn't be working for edmunds.com, would they? ;)
  • jeyhoejeyhoe Posts: 490
    Mine's the V6. With manual tranny.
  • Well, I guess I unknowingly walked into a hornets nest of LS lovers, my bad, car is great, love it!!! Please cancel my linching party, lol... I bought my LS at 58K and it had problems when I bought it. Like the exterior temperature indicator reads wrong, and needs reprogramming, but if I want it done I have to pay??? Valve cover leak because of DEFECTIVE SEALS, destroying my cops, known defect, no Lincoln recall to repair??? If the brakes wear out on my car, I will fix them as that is a wear item, no problem, as are tires, clutches, timing belts... AC seals leak, you get the AC serviced. I really like the car and the cool features, auto dimming mirror, auto wipers, I guess my issue is with dealer support to resolve manufacturing quality defects.
    Lincoln's response to these problems is the same as all other manufacturers - they're not safety defects and thus no recall is required. If they fail during the warranty period, they're covered. If they fail outside the warranty period they're not covered. Some cars had the valve cover gasket failure, some didn't.
  • hahahaha No linching party, Jetstang! I don't think very many of us LS lovers would say that all the LSs are perfect!

I don't know how long you have had your car or what your relationship is with the dealer but if it had problems when you bought it, couldn't you have had them fix it before accepting the vehicle? I can understand that you wouldn't know if the valve covers were leaking onto the COPs but if there was a misfire when you bought the car, or the temp indicator was incorrect, why not say, "I will buy it for $XXXXX subject to you repairing the items we have found." Of course, if you bought from a private party, all of that goes out the window.

Also, there is nothing wrong with politely asking for some "help" from Ford or the dealer when a pricey service item is discovered - particularly when you are just a few thousand miles out of warranty. Dealers vary but some will go to bat for you.

I hope my comments didn't add insult to injury.
    All Lincolns are *eligible* for 2 AWAs (After Warranty Adjustments) where the dealer and/or Ford pay for some or all of the cost of the repairs. The trick is your dealer has to request it. It's worth a shot.
  • You bet it is worth a shot. My heated seat element died after my car was 6 years old and had 100,000 miles. My dealer went to bat for me and a $300 repair cost me $75. They also helped me out some on a couple of bad COPs after the car exceeded 100,000 miles. Both of these things happened within a week of each other.
  • I appreciate the info on the AWA, worth a shot. I like to think I am a mechanic, so I fixed all the problems myself, no books, just winged it with success. I went to the dealer for help and the resident expert at the dealer really helped me and walked me through it.
    I bought the car site unseen from a friend of my brothers after his brother died, estate car. Drove 700 miles to Key Largo in a rental, fished and dove for the weekend, and drove back, great trip, awesome car. Got an 01 LS V8 in early 06 with 58K for $8500, too good of a deal to pass up, AC didn't work at the time, bad coolant control valve, no other problems. Then I bought it, lol... I should of bought an extended waranty after I purchased it, but didn't.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,207
    Well done with the DIY repairs, especially flying solo (without the books). I got an AWA on my cooling fan replacement a number of years ago after my warranty ran out (by a few months).

I bought the two LS maintenance books from Helm & they cost a fortune. However, they saved me multiples of their price as I evaluated what I'd do myself vs. what I'd farm out to the dealer as my car piled up the miles.

At the moment I'm contemplating replacing all four shocks & farming out some odd engine/system stuff (cooling fan running way too fast for the ambient temp, heater takes forever to warm up) to an independent shop I've come to trust over the years. This is the shop that found an $86 valve on our Pathfinder that was broken when the Nissan dealer wanted to do a $385 "fuel system maintenance" that wouldn't have fixed the problem at all.

My car will hit 125K miles in the next couple of weeks, and I drove it to Alaska & all over the Yukon last July, without a bit of trouble. Yours is likely to last you another 50-150K miles.

Enjoy.
    cd;

Good to hear from ya. I remember your Yukon trip desc. I took my LS to LA last month. Not exactly the wilderness, but just as exciting in its way. I was surprised to get 28 mpg over the 800 mile trip. That's best I've ever seen! I remember you saying that's what you got on your trip.

Knock wood, no troubles at 91K.
  • what should i expect from a well maintained and cared for 2001 ls 3.9 v8 with 112k mi. about how much mileage can you get out of these cars until it starts to show signs of "old age" and eventually goes to car heaven. are we looking at 200k easy or what?

need to know because im faced with the opportunity to get one thats been well cared for and reads 112k but for $1000-$1500 less than listed kbb private party value if it should make it to somewhere near 200k i like the car so much that 90k mi of driving left for me might be worth it to me. but if they usually dont see the 200k mi. marker than i probably no longer want one with 112k mi.
  • I was thinking about buying a used 2000 ls for 7,000 miles. The ls has 74,000 miles on it and is clean. I just have two problems that trouble me with buying it. The problem is when I had the car changing gears to check the transmission, I started to turn the wheel, and when I turned it all the way it was a noise. The noise wasn't cracking or grinding, but it just didn't sound right. When I returned to the chevy deale about the problem he said he had no idea. The problem i thought was the recall for the lower ball joints. The dealer called lincoln and they said the vehicle was serviced for the recall. I was wondering if you think its the power steering, the ball joint or axle? Another question is are there any problems that are consistent on this car, I should now about?
  • Any engine should go at least 200K if it is properly maintained and doesn't have any incidents, overheating, lack of oil. But, the concern is if the car is a quality piece or does everything consistently break and cost you an arm and a leg in repair costs. My 01 LS V8 just turned 70K and I have replaced way too many parts for a car with this many miles on it. I just replaced the rear caliper and clockspring in the last 2 weeks and the car was finally uptight, all fixed. Now, the drivers window regulator broke yesterday???? A cheap plastic guide roller that the cable rides on sheared off the outer edge and pinched the cable, broke!!!! A metal roller would last for forever compared to the cheap plastic gear they used. Found a new complete regulator assembly on ebay with motor for $60 shipped. Must be alot of demand for this part for it to be so cheap and available. This is a $250 repair at the dealer, so if you can't do it yourself, this cars maintenance cost would be extremely high and offset any discount you got on the initial purchase. Here is my list of repairs in last 12K, 58K-70K miles: coolant control valve, COPS, Valve cover gaskets, seized rear caliper, clockspring, fogged headlights, melted 3rd brake light lens, lumbar inop, front end clunks-struts, visor broke, head liner loose, front pillar covers twisting, and now, 1st broken window regulator, more to come I am sure.... :sick:
    The LS uses the same regulator parts as Mercedes. The reasons are complicated but it's not the part itself - it's the weatherseal around the windows (too sticky, puts too much strain on the regulator).

You can get just the regulator for $30 new and you reuse the motor.
  • leadfoot4leadfoot4 Posts: 593
    I haven't been here in quite a while, surprised to see some of the same "cast of characters" are still here.My wife and I still have our 2000 LS, and it's still running well, although it has only 55,000 miles on it.

I was pondering this the other day, as I've gone on a "cleaning blitz", clearing out a ton of old paperwork in my files. I've kept all of the dealer repair orders for this car, and was looking through them as I cleaned. I have to say that there were a lot more of them than I remembered. Fortunately, I still enjoy the car, and fortunately the dealer made the service experience as painless as possible, and fortunately the car hasn't left us stranded. However, it hasn't been the most trouble free car I've ever owned.

I just hope that I don't encounter anything major, as I'm now out of warranty.
    Welcome back, leadfoot. Still have my 2001 getrag LS and at 90K it's sill basically like new except I still need to replace the bushings on the front swaybar. If I could afford to replace it, I might think about it. But as it is, there's nothing that comes close for any reasonable cost. Hope it keeps on truckin as the only money I've spent on it for maintenance is brakes once and tires twice.
    Just looking at my member information...I'm not sure about the total number of posts being correct, but the date certainly isn't correct. I joined this forum about 14 months earlier than that, about the time I started researching the LS, which I bought in May of 2000.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,207
    Yeah, me too. Everyone who was posting on Edmunds on April 13 got that join date, regardless of reality.
  • brucelincbrucelinc Posts: 814
    It looks like all of us early birds have the same member start date, although many were earlier. Yes, I stumbled on to this site much sooner than April of 2001. I have one of the earliest LSs - 4/99 build. It used to be quite a daily routine of reading all of the new posts.
    Yeah, remember those giddy days??? There would be 70-80 posts a day!! It would take at LEAST one cup of tea to make it through all of them......