Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Yaris Accessories & Modifications

Comments

• spoolinqspoolinq Member Posts: 2
    anyone know where i can find jdm parts for the 2007 yaris?
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    Hmmm. Have you checked out Boom Plus Toys? http://www.boomplustoys.net/jdm_yaris.shtml They appear to have quite a bit for the Yaris.
  • hals2hals2 Member Posts: 9
    I have the Yaris S sedan, red with power package. It has cruise, lockes, windows, but no keyless. I had the dealer install an aftermarket yeyless, as Toyota does not yey have one available for a dealer installed option. My keyless has so far been less than satisfactory. It always opens the drivers side, but you have to be very exact on getting the other doors to open with the second click of the switch. The passanger doors may or may not open if you don't have the timing exactly right.
    Has anyone else found an aftermarket keyless that works well?
    Thanks for any info. (by the way, the car is great: quite, smooth, good economy)
  • featherzfeatherz Member Posts: 26
  • featherzfeatherz Member Posts: 26
    Have a 2007 Liftback (manual) and will need to purchase tire chains or equivalent (live in an area where they are required 4-5 days/year). Anyone have any recommendations for 'alternative' tire traction such as spikes Spiders so I don't get stuck putting on the cumbersome 'low clearance' cables? This is in California.
  • spoolinqspoolinq Member Posts: 2
  • yaris46yaris46 Member Posts: 24
    NEVER install a vinyl bra on a car PERIOD. They do far more damage to the paint than no protection at all. Want to protect your paint? Install WWW.UTRASHIELDUSA.COM or WWW.ARMOURFENDUSA.COM are 2 quality companies. P/Protection is FAR MORE than a clear nose bra. It protects your fenders, wheel wells, door edges, door sills, rear quarter panels, windshield frames, 50 percent of your hood, rear bumper rear view mirrors. In other words you protect the paint. Vinyl Bras are not only expensive, they DAMAGE YOUR CAR!
  • bruyerebruyere Member Posts: 7
    I have the 185/60x15 alloy wheels on my 2007 4 door Yaris. My question is, will one of these wheels fit into the spare tire well in the trunk? I would like to replace the "donut" with a full-size tire. What are my options? Thanks.
  • lucynethellucynethel Member Posts: 81
    YIKES! Some "shipping charge"!!!!!!! Have my armrest already but it is different. I may actually sell it as I have found I just never use it.
    Pictures of my aftetmarket unit at:
    http://autos.ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/YarisintheUSA/photos/view/1c2d?b=1&m=s&o=- 0
  • lucynethellucynethel Member Posts: 81
  • jsanta86jsanta86 Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem but they said that they could do it and were charging me $600 for the toyota alarm and keyless entry. I ended up installing an aftermarket alarm with remote start at a sound shop for $380
  • violinviolin Member Posts: 20
    I fixed the problem with the shipping charges. I had selected an oversized package by mistake. Thanks to those who supplied feedback.

Only one day left: leather covered armrest
  • marmaladesixmarmaladesix Member Posts: 2
    Help! I've just managed to break the front bumper to my 06 Yaris hatch -- can anyone give me a ballpark figure of what I can expect it to cost to replace? Can anyone local to Burlington, ON recommend a good place to get it fixed?

Thanks! :cry:
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Depending on the "break", you might be better off getting the bumper reconditioned vs. a new one. A good auto body shop can tell you the difference in price.
  • jnantzjnantz Member Posts: 10
    I took delivery today of a LB with remote keyless entry. It came with 3 ignition keys but only one of the keys has the built-in remote switch. The salesman and I both thought it should have come with two remote entry switch keys (the transmitter is built into the top of the key)
    What is correct?
    Has anyone gotten 2 keys with their remote entry Yaris (Sedan or LB)?
    The salesman is contacting the district rep, but I would like to know what your experience has been.
    Thanks
  • ronethroneth Member Posts: 1
    i recently bought a yaris. they installed an alarm on it but the guy told me that they couldnt do keyless entry. he was telling me about how the wires in the doors were too thin to cut. If it was damaged the whole system would shut down.
  • robertknrobertkn Member Posts: 94
    They don't have dealers in all areas so you might have to find a good auto electrician to install it. Not sure how it would effect your warranty either.

Ravelco
  • tbg1tbg1 Member Posts: 22
    I ordered my Yaris L/B with the power package - so that's the beginning point for the keyless entry and alarm system I bought (after market).
    I paid a total of $240 (installed) for darker window tinting :shades:
    ($100)

and a Prestige Model APS-25CH alarm. :mad: ($140)
    --
    Now admittedly, I probably got a little better pricing than the average joe (kinda a-friend-of-a-friend thang) but still I got a very good alarm installed at a fairly reasonable price.
    Are there more expensive alarms out there on the market: you betcha. But this model has many advanced features: code hoping RF, Starter disable, Intrusion alert, Code learning, Protected valet, Remote panic, User selectable chirp delete, Shock sensor, Loud six multi-tone siren, and on and on...

I have a Clifford alarm on my wife's vehicle but those have gotten just too high dollar for me (especially with the price I paid for a Yaris - I don't need an alarm that costs half the car's value!!!). The Prestige alarm is a good balance between features/capability and price.
  • triotracertriotracer Member Posts: 2
    I just wondered if you ever had a resolution to your key issue? We just bought this car for our daughter and we were not happy to find out that it comes with only one remote AND that it will cost us $250 to buy one! The option installed was only $230. What's up with that? Did you get any help from the district rep? I called Toyota and so far, no luck. This is our first Toyota and it might well be our last.....this has left a bad taste in our mouths.
  • jnantzjnantz Member Posts: 10
    No resolution yet, though did see a key remote on ebay.
  • triotracertriotracer Member Posts: 2
    We managed to get the dealer to give us another key for half the price. We are paying $100 for it.
  • spike109spike109 Member Posts: 3
    Yeah! Okay, I'll check it out.

Looking for driver's side parts due to my son having his 2nd wreck in 6 months. I can't turn it over to my insurance for fear of getting cancelled.

I need the driver's side, front to back..front and rear quarter panels and the front and rear door.

Mine is the charcoal grey color.

thanks
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    I'm going to rename this discussion to make it our home for talk about Yaris accessories and modifications.
  • 41magmag4141magmag41 Member Posts: 6
    My sedan came with factory cruise but my recommendation is have the dealer do the install. Even if you have to look around for a dealer that will do it. You might pay a little more but it'll be covered under Toyotas warranty if anything goes wrong. With the electronics on these cars today you don't want a hack job on the electrical system of the car. Just my thoughts.
  • lhansonlhanson Member Posts: 268
    I think that you have just not found the right Toyota dealer. Wolfchase Toyota in Memphis, TN told me that they would install it for $415.
  • mcmanusmcmanus Member Posts: 121
    Scion xA and previous xB owners have had to go the the American SE to get cruise installed.
  • 41magmag4141magmag41 Member Posts: 6
    Was just on the Toyota Website for Canada and under dealer installed options they had cruise control for $469.00 candian. So toyota does make a cruise kit for the yris and your dealer should do some research.
  • ldbennettldbennett Member Posts: 9
    It may be available in Canada but Toyota of the USA says, sorry, no cruise control by Toyota or by an after market firm for the Toyota Yaris Hatchback, if you wish not to potentially jeopardize your warrantee. While they did not issue a blanket revocation with such a modification, they did say they would consider warrantee claims case by case if the vehicle is so modified, regardless that such an option is available on the sedan. I got this straight from Toyota USA in a direct phone call from them after sending them a letter inquiring about cruise control for the Yaris Hatchback.

What cruise control kit is Toyota of Canada installing? Is it a factory parts thing or the Brandon Distribing (BD) after market kit that was developed for Gulf Toyota.

I contacted BD and they said their kit uses the embedded programming already in the ECM computer but requires a seperate (not Toyota's) control head (buttons for Set, Resume, etc.) and "splicing" into the existing harness. I intend to contact them again and get more information before I risk my warrantee.

I'll try to investigate Toyota of Canada's cruise control option, too.

LDBennett
  • tankheadtankhead Member Posts: 2
    Is anyone using roof racks for the 3 door Yaris hatchback. Thule and Yakima don't have one for it yet...... Has anyone put on a roof rack on the Yaris 3 door yet? Do tell.
  • jenn1977jenn1977 Member Posts: 2
    Hey everyone I just bought a 2007 Yaris & I saw the Toyota web-site with the Yaris's with a spoiler I think I might have to get one put on which is the best way to go about it through Toyota dealer or a web-site?
    That little 2 inch high piece of metal along the top edge of the back window is worth $200?
  • jenn1977jenn1977 Member Posts: 2
    No not that one the one that goes on the sedan 4 door on the trunk.
    OK...I got all the Yaris cruise control information for those of you that care.

1). Toyota for the California area has no option for cruise control for the Yaris Hatchback, either originally or dealer installed.

2). Toyota for the California area threatened possible revocation of a warrantee repair if sedan parts or after market parts where installed to obtain cruise control, if either caused damage to the car's systems requiring repair. This was to be judged on a case by case basis (its the law, I believe, that they have to prove your modification created the warrantee problem before they can refuse to pay).

3). All the parts and the programming are already in the car for cruise control except the control head (Set, On/Off, Resume switches mounted on a stalk under the steering column in the sedan). What may also be missing is the cable that weaves through the steering column for the stalk (??).

4). Brandon Distributing (BD) makes an after market crusie control for either the Manual or A/T model Yaris. It is a control head (same functionality as the sedan cruise control stalk). The A/T model requires splicing into one wire that goes into the ECM computer at the point where the cruise control signal from the control head normally would enter the ECM. The control head would also be required to be grounded. The unit uses the Toyota embedded programming for the cruise control function. So you get install instructions, and the control head with attendant wiring with the BD kit. There is no vacuum motor for throttle control since the throttle of a Yaris is controlled via an electric motor run by the ECM computer.

5). The BD unit is the dealer installed option developed for the Gulf States Toyota distributor, or so BD claims, but is available to the general public via the internet at their site. Some dealers in the USA may be installing it too (???).

6). I was not able to accurately define what Toyota of Canada is installing but they list a dealer installed optional cruise control, as they would not comment on their units maker.

I have decided that the risk is minimal in installing the BD unit as it is a passive device and cannot hurt the ECM computer even if continuously grounded which would only occur with a wiring error on my part. I might add BD was very helpful in my pursuit of information on which to make this decision. The huge Yaris Shop Manual I found on the internet also helped immensely.

LDBennett
    BAD NEWS!!!!!

My Toyota mechanic friend says the California Yaris Hatchback's have a different computer than cars from different parts of the USA and Canada. They tried to add the cruise control to four different Hatchbacks and none had the progaramming in the ECM computer for that feature and would not work. They even tried the sedan ECM computer in the Hatchback with no luck.

Before doing anything for a crusie control I think it very wise to find a dealer who has successfully installed one! Californians are screwed, again!

LDBennett
  • ohplezzohplezz Member Posts: 74
    http://www.rostra.com/ Rostra has designed a cruise control just for the yaris. It is a good company that makes quality products. I don't have any experience with BD but my sister in law has a rostra cc installed in her car and it has not had a bit of trouble in 4 years.
    Brandon Distributing is the Rostra distributor and it is the Rostra Yaris specific unit that I am talking about.

This is not about Rostra but about Toyota. Toyota failed to include the software in the California version of the Hatchback Yaris, which the Rostra unit relies on for operation.

The Yaris is a fly-by-wire throttle. That is, you press on a foot control that feeds an electric signal to the computer. The computer then positions the throttle plate at the engine using an electric motor.

The upscale Yaris Sedan has a cruise control and the ECM computer has the programming in it to make the cruise control function work. For the Hatchback in California apparently Toyota chose to exclude the embedded cruise control software precluding any electric cruise control being added (at least in a conventional sense). There is no throttle system at the engine, only the elctric motor, so I don't believe a vacuum motor cruise control can be adapted (??).

While your sister may indeed have a successful Rostra cruise control on her four year old car, the Yaris is only in its second model year and in California, apprently, the yaris Hatchback does not have the ability to have any cruise control, by Rostra or by anyone else that I have found. If the Yaris Hatchback was delevered in the Gulf States of the USA or in Canada then that is not the case as Toyota left the software in those cars.

So you see this is a California Toyota Yaris Hatchback problem , not a Rostra problem.

LDBennett
    I believe that we are still in the first year of the Yaris made for the USA market, unless California doesn't fit in that category either. It has been around for several years in Canada and in Europe.
    I feel like a Yo-YO!

Rostra responded that they DO NOT use the ECM programming and it is inconsequential that the ECM programming is there or not. The Toyota mechanic friend was using just the Toyota factory cruise control stalk and relying on the ECM cruise control programming to be there and that apparently is why his approach didn't work.

The Rostra unit, according to their latest direct communication (not through BD), taps into the electric foot throttle wiring and has its own computer. The car's ECM does not even know the cruise control is controling the throttle electrically and not the driver's foot. This iscompletely different than what BD told me!

I think it is time to commit! I'll buy the Rostra unit (not through BD if I can help it). At least I got the name and email address of the Rostra Engineering Manager. If I have any problems I'll contact him directly.

LDBennett
    Keep us posted on how it all works out. You have done a lot of leg work for the rest of us. Much appreciated.
  • boris13boris13 Member Posts: 80
    I had the Rostra unit installed by the dealer on my hatchback (5-speed manual model) and it works like a charm. No issues. Love it.
    How much did they charge you to install it?
  • ttaittai Member Posts: 114
    The first thing that caught my eye was the cheap Auto shift knob on a skinny chrome stick. That just killed the interior. I thought it could look like an old skool Ferrari shifter(don't laugh) with a ball on it. So I made one myself for under $10.00.
    http://flyingdragon.4t.com/shiftball.jpg
    It actually looks better than I thought it would.
    The Rostra 2006/7 Toyota Yaris Cruise Control arrived today and I reviewed the instructions. I did not buy it from Brandon Distributing (BD) as he led me completely astray when I asked technical information on the unit and its installation. Instead I used M&R Electronics who had pictures on their web site, unlike BD, and understand the unit so well that they want to be the technical support for it rather than Rostra, even though Rostra has technical support for the unit. It appears Rostra uses M&R as consultants on occasion for some of their designs, according to a sales rep for Rostra.

Anyway, you are required to tap into about four wires under the dash: two for brakes, one for the Vehicle Speed Sensor, and one for power. In addition you must route a wire through the firewall to the transmission connector to tap into the Neutral Safety Switch wire. The harness supplied also has a ground lug that has to be run to the body. The power lead includes a fuse for the Cruise Control Unit.

There are two modules, the Cruise Control Module and the Interface Module, with all the required harnessing. The Accelerator Pedal Assembly normally tells the ECM electrically what speed you want. For this system you disconnect the exiting connectors to the pedal assembly and insert the cabling provided. It interrupts the normal pedal signals and inserts the Cruise Control signals when the Cruise Control is on and reverts back to your input when the Cruise Control is off. There is a stalk with the control switches (on/off, set, etc.) that you must mount near the steering wheel (??).

The kit seems very complete and the instructions adequate but the quality of the picture figures leaves a little to be desired. I suppose once you get into it the lost picture detail will be deemed unnecessary (??). My son, a former mechanic, will install it with my help when he gets time. I could do it myself but under the dash work is tough on me at my arthritic age.

I m so sorry about all the confusion. The kit is much as I initially expected (I installed a digital Cruise Control more than 20 years ago on a Nissan) until BD lead me totally astray creating all the confusing about whether the Rostra used the Yaris's ECM Cruise Control programming (which it most definitely does not). I also learned, in a phone conversation with a Rostra sales rep that they have sold about 3500 units for Yaris's with only one known failure (bad switch in stalk). I'll let everyone know when I get it in and working.

LDBennett
    THE ROSTRA CRUISE CONTROL WORKS EXCELLENT!!

My former mechanic son installed the Rostra Cruise Control per the excellent instruction (The instructions need better pictures!) in two hours last evening. No problems.

I took the Yaris out on the freeway today for a little trip for about 1 1/2 hours driving time, on level ground, up one of the steeper grades on the local freeway (Cajon Pass for those of you that know the greater Los Angeles area), and it worked just fine. No complaints.

So even with all the "problems" initially in understanding the unit, caused by Brandon Distributing, I am very satisfied now that it is in and working. Again I bought it through M&R Electronics on the Internet. I recommend them.

This happily ends the pursuit of a cruise control installation in a 2007 Toyota Yaris Hatchback with auto. Bye!

LDBennett
  • crazedcommutercrazedcommuter Member Posts: 281
    I went Yaris window shopping the other night and was surprised to see a 3 door with 18" TRD rims and P Zero tires!! Talk about adding expense to an ecomomy car. The rims and tires are a Toyota TRD option and are on the sticker for the measly price of $1999. I would think that those tires and rims would rob 3-4 mpg from each tank, ride rough, and cost about $800 bucks to replace. I would never put that kind of set up on an econ-o-car but it did look good and I may even test drive it. Anyone else see this setup on the 3 door Yaris?
  • needakeyneedakey Member Posts: 2
    How did you go about this?

My friend drove my car to my wedding ceremony from the photo shoot and lost my smart key...says she can't find it and won't pay to replace it...I definitely can't afford $250 + for a new one!
  • m5pilotm5pilot Member Posts: 3
    Can anyone give me details about the pre-installed alarm system on the Yaris? Is it factory installed or dealer installed?

Also, on the sedan, if you lock the doors with the key fob and then open the trunk with the key, does the alarm go off?

If you are inside the sedan and lock the doors with the key fob, can you pop the trunk from the release button?

Any help you can give would be appreciated.
  • typesyaristypesyaris Member Posts: 1
    Hello people!!!!
    I have a toyota yaris Sedan with the spoiler, but i wanna the 4PC KIT (FRONT, SIDES, REAR) i saw that NARISTO have it, bu tis Really EXPENSIVE, so i want to now if someone can send me the specification with dimension and picture of this kit, because i now people in my country that will make it for me for less money and good quality.
    Or you can tell me where i can buy it less expensive or maybe who sell me from a used car.

My Yaris is red.

Regards!
This discussion has been closed.