Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Murano Reliability

george78george78 Posts: 13
edited September 5 in Nissan
I purchased a 2007 Murano in February. I generally hold onto cars for a long time (7 to 10 years). Most of the posts I have read on this site are very helpful but they don't seem too glowing about the durability of the Murano over the long haul. In addition to numerous problems (one often noted was the lack of response when engaging the accelerator)it sounds like it is a very expensive car to maintain and one that is not likely to reach high mileage without lots of money being pumped back into it. Is this the case with this car? I liked the Murano so much that I didn't even bother trying others vehicles in its class and am wondering if that may come back to haunt me. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Comments

• mike1111mike1111 Posts: 93
    I don't think there are any more complaints about the Murano than there are other cars.I bought a 07 SL AWD after searching through a bunch of sites and reading up on it.I have noticed that the people who complain on here also complain on other sites which is fine but I think it makes the numbers seem higher.I have read word for word complaints on here and the same on many differnt sites.Nissan has tweaked the Murano over the years and usally by year four for any car they have worked out most of the bugs.That being said any one car can mess up at any time.Just maintain the car well and it should hold up very well
  • George,
    I am one of the persons who complained about the accelerator problem (actually a pressure sensor) on my 2003 Murano. However, I have since traded it in on a new 2007. I believe in this car and I believe they have solved the pressure sensor issue after 4 years. After 100,000 miles on my 2003, it still drived like a dream. So, my take is that I would definitely consider a late model Murano for its longevity, but I would stay away from a used 2003 or even 2004.

To better help you decide, here is a link to freshalloy website. It has a lot of discussions. But, as the other poster mentioned, all cars have issues if you read their boards. I know of several people who would never buy a Toyota again and it is supposedly top rated.

Here is the link: http://forums2.freshalloy.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40

Tom
  • lanregunlanregun Posts: 4
    Guys,

Very glad I stumbled across this site just by accident through my "pre-purchase" research. Prior to this moment, I had sealed my mind on a Nissan Murano, it was just a matter of getting the right dealer and pricing before I headed out to pick one up.

But having read the reviews on this site, I now have cold feet especially from the myriad of complaints against that model. Even though I adore the Murano, the negatives from this site have compelled me to begin research on other brands..

Ola.
    Make sure you read the complaints about the next car you find.You will notice that all have people who complain or have problems.
  • sadsack862sadsack862 Posts: 20
    Hi Ola, If you can hold off buying a new vehicle, wait til the 2008 Highlander hits the dealerships in two weeks. I had a 2004 Murano I liked so much I bought a 2006 and have had nothing but trouble. All of this work was under warranty so I am ok, but. Replaced transmission. Information system went out of wack twice and had to have the lumbar adjustment fixed twice. Not exactly reliable for a vehicle with 12000 miles on it. Re the 2008 Highlander: I quote Consumer Reports, which I also subscribe to. Based on Toyota's previous reliability record the 2008 Highlander should out perform it's competitors, and is listed in our top 10 SUV segment.
  • george78george78 Posts: 13
    Interesting feedback on the Murano from a reliability point of view. I do agree that most people usually don't comment about things when all is well. It's usually when things are not ok so there are probably many Murano owners who are 100% pleased, or at least close to it. I do agree that there are complaints about all cars but my previous vehicle was a Toyota Rav4 (10 years worth) and it was trouble free.

Having the transmission replaced at 12k miles is not very reassuring.

Thanks to all those who have taken the time to chime in and I hope many more will as well.

George
    I was gonna get the new RAV4 V6 and was all set to buy but it was a tad small.I read the RAV4 forums and lots of people were complains about the new RAV4.
  • mmrenommreno Posts: 9
    I have to agree with both sides of the debate. Yes, if a problem has occurred, you get angry, want to voice the opinion, and scream at the manufacturer. But... how often do you go to your mechanic and tell them how well the vehicle is running?

With our 2006 Murano S, we are at 27,672 miles, tires once, lube, oil and filters 8 times, and this vehicle has yet to miss a beat. Yes I did tell the dealer I was happy, and yes I have recommended this vehicle to others. My BMW M3 is red with envy.
  • Bought a 03 murano last year, not very impressed with quality, had to replace one engine mount recently. Had a toyota solara that is trouble free still at 130k. Also with the CVT transmission, seems they frequently need to replace the whole thing to fix any issues, a hefty 5-6 grand.

there are so many muranos on the road, it's not as cool any more, ha. pretty sure my next car/suv will be something else...
    CR still recommends the Murano.Every car in its first year will have some problems.Look at the new RAV4 with it's lag issue and a few other things people are freaking about.In the 4th year of production they usually have the bugs worked out.I would not have in 06 bought a 03 used Murano (first year)cause of the first year problems.I dont know where you get they frequently need to replace the CVT?Just cause a few people have does not mean everyone has to.If it was that big of a problem would it be recommended by CR?
  • emc17emc17 Posts: 26
    I have owned Hondas and Toyotas. My Accords always had rattles and squeaks. I had a 2001 Rav4 and everything rattle, even the radio. I was going to lease a 2007 Rav and the transmission shifted horribly. My last car was a 2003 Highlander and was excellent. Now I have a 2007 Murano with almost 1000 miles and is flawless,at least noting rattles inside, except for the break noise, that I cant believe Nissan has done nothing since 2003 to correct it. Otherwise, happy with my Murano. :)
    Thats the only real complaint I have.I rentd a 06 and after a 350 miles trip the brakes howled in the morning.It was real bad.When I bought the 07 SL AWD I knew the brake squeal was an issue.It has not been anywhere near the 06 I rented BUT I still hear the squeal and you should not.
  • I'm just saying my murano at 76k miles is not as trouble free as my last car a 2000 solara at 130k.

I bought it at 59k miles, and has since put on 18k in 10 months. of course your 07 model should be trouble free at 1000 miles - it is how well it runs after 50k or 100k that matters.

the CVT transmission is sealed and Nissan frequently suggest replacing the whole transmission for even minor issues like sensor malfunction (check the maintenance group) - I'm not saying it frequently fails.

Does anyone know if the murano engine has a timing belt or timing chain? I can't seem to find that information.
    It's a chain.
  • deedumdeedum Posts: 3
    I disagree, I test drove a Toyota Highlander and it doesn't hold a candle to the Murano! The Murano is so much more solid! I considered the Rava for a minute, but the crank seat is not my idea of a vehicle. All vehicles have their issues! It depends on what each person wants out of it! I have found exactly what I have been looking for. 2007 Murano SL :)
  • george78george78 Posts: 13
    I don't think anyone questions that it's a great car, fun to drive and a solid performer. The big question is, how does it hold up over time. From what I'm reading, I don't think it's one of those vehicles that just keeps going and going without pouring money into it. I would love for someone to write that they have hit 150k miles with minimal problems but I have yet to see anything like that.

George
    Oh dear, I hope your wrong and this vehicle proves to be reliable, a good friend of ours is a mechanic for Nissan. I got his okay before purchasing. Time will tell! :shades:
    Yup Time will tell.I researched the crap out of everything and aside from a few people who complain about the CVT and those are vaild I did'nt find the Murano to be a bad choice.Wards best motor list year in and year out and CR recommends it.The price to own over 5 years in better than most.Just treat it good and it should treat you good.I only 7,000 miles on mine and it's a dream so far.If it screws up later I will be pissed.I did not buy the extended warrenty
    I did not buy the extended warranty either, should be plenty of time to do that plus we may not need it. I have nearly 1000 miles on mine, bought two weeks ago, I too will be pissed if I have trouble, I traded off a o5 Mercury still under warranty because it had too many issues and problems, don't need or want anymore headaches. I researched this vehicle,my other choice was the Subaru Tribecca! I hope I am not sorry. :D
  • I have 2005 S model for almost three years and about 20000 miles. It did not require a single cent on top of regular maintenance costs, and still runs like new :)
  • Mike, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but look at the posts on the CVT transmission. The transmission itself is not the problem, it is the pressure sensor that has been failing in the earlier models. I really enjoyed mine until a few weeks ago when I found out I was looking at a $4200-5000. repair bill. Check it out....Nissan will Lie to you and well as the dealers. No one is admitting there actually is a problem. I've even reported it to the NTSB as a safety defect. Nissan probably won't do anything until someone is killed because of it. I came close several times pulling into traffic and the vehicle just hesitated for 10-15 seconds. Beware! ;)
  • Hi Everyone,
    I need some advice/help/insight, whatever anyone can offer.

I leased a 2007 Murano SL at the end of August 07. My first problem came as a result of a fuel sensor. It was no longer reading properly. After the dealership finally figured out how to put the sensor in (not upside down) so it would read correctly, I went on my way. That was the 19th of December. On the 21st, as I entering into a very busy intersection, the vehicle started to "buck" and hesitate like I was driving a standard and going to stall it. Then it lost power. I was able to get the vehicle home (after it did the same thing again on a side street) and the dealership towed the vehicle from my house. They called me on Christmas Eve Day to tell me that my transmission was shot and they had ordered me a new one. Mind you, this vehicle had 6200 miles on it. They had the vehicle from the 22nd until January 8th. I picked the vehicle up (may I add they did an awesome detailing job to it) and drove away. I noticed a slight hesitation as I entered onto the on ramp, but thought it was all in my head. Today, I started out for an appointment a hour away from my house. About 30 mintues into my trip I found that I could not go faster than 70mph and the tac was going up and down. I tried to give it some gas and it began to buck and stall-just like before. I lost power, to the point that I could not go faster than 25mph. The interior lights started to dim, the radio went out and then they all surged on and stayed on. The vehicle was towed back to the dealership (an hour away again) and they have no idea what is wrong! They've already yanked the tranny out and replaced it and that appears that was never the problem! The general manager says that they want to get me out of this lease and into another Murano, but did say that Nissan is very hard to deal with in these situations! PLEASE, has anyone had an issues like this?? I am in a lease for 39 months and a high mileage lease at that. I purchased 22k a year. I am paying a lot of money a month for this vehicle and it's spent almost a month being ripped apart or on the back of a tow truck. UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HELP! :sick: :sick:
    Oh yeah, my last vehicle was a jetta and that thing had just as many problems as this one, but not nearly as severe. As you can tell by my posting name!
  • I previously owned a Nissan Altima. Drove it to 150,000 miles before I traded it in. Never spent more than the regular checkup. Never replaced anything major. I couldn't kill that car! It was great! I got an 05 Murano SL. I am 1,000 miles out of warrenty (76,200). I did not buy the extension because I have never had a problem with any Nissan, and the car runs perfect! In December I notice a slight hesitation when I accellerate. Not all the time. Just every now and then. I thought it was due to the weather and cold fluids. It has progressivly gotten worse. I am devistated to now know I will be spending 6,000 dollars for a problem that should have been fixed already on the previous models.
    I am upset. I am dissapointed. I filed a complaint. What can I do?
    I am trading in the car, taking a huge hit on the trade in, and I am no longer (and never will be again) a Nissan Customer.
  • I purchased a Murano SL in February of 2007. Everything has been fine to this point but, after reading so many negative posts, I feel like something could happen at any time. It is not a stretch to say that the Murano seems to be a flawed automobile. I can't believe NIssan has been able to sidestep the transmission issue (pressure sensor) and act like there is no problem. Like someone said earlier, maybe it will take a fatality to wake someone up. Hey Nissan, if you screwed up, admit it. I was always under the impression that the car had a good reputation. Based on that and its looks I made the purchase. Maybe I won't encounter the same problems, maybe I will. But that doesn't make up for all the other owners and leasers who have had headaches and big bills.
  • 70,000 miles and nothing. No problems with my '03 Murano.Finally replaced the tires recently,still driving with original brakes. I haven't even replaced a lightbulb. Go figure.... Oh wait, I just replaced my windshield wipers also....It's a good car.
  • homeounerhomeouner Posts: 145
    Steve: Afew months back posters wrote about replacement tires for M O s. I will need to buy a new set soon. Can you tell me the posting numbers on this subject. Mr Baldwin had done a lot of research on this. Thanks.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,109
    Is this the one you're asking about? baldwin3, "Nissan Murano Maintenance and Repair" #1789, 12 Mar 2007 5:26 pm

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • Dear Sliceopizza,
    Start saving your money now! My tranny did not go until 89K miles. Beware that there is a serious problem with the tranny and get ready for that BIG bill. It's a coming!!! :cry: When you start getting that "hesitation" it is ready to go. Nissan dealers are well aware of this problem although they act like this is the first time they have heard about it with each complaint. See what they will give you for a trade in and look at Edmunds wholesale and retail price then compare, they know about the problem....... :lemon:
  • As others have posted, those who have a complaint are a lot more likely to be heard from than those who are happy. As a quality manager I know this to be true. With that said:

Just got home after spending my Friday night picking up my wife on the side of the road and having her Murano towed to the dealership. '04 SL AWD with 67k miles. The AWD is apparently toast. $3900 to fix that. They won't know until they fix that if the transmission is also bad, which she was told would cost roughtly another $3000 (based on everything else I've read this sounds like a lowball initial estimate). Potentially $7000+ in repairs on a vehicle with 67k miles? She's also had smaller irritations like the sun visor wearing out and having to be replaced (although kudos to the dealership for doing the labor for free even though it was out of warranty) and now the lift gate latch is going bad (she very seldom uses that). And she still loves driving the thing so much she wonders what they'll give her if she trades its carcass in on a new one......

In the short term that is life changing money for us. You won't see me on the Nissan lot again. :lemon:
  • To be fair to Nissan I should give an update on our experience that I posted on 3/7/08. The AWD system did have to be replaced. However, Nissan agreed to cover the full cost of this. We were roughly 8k miles out of the warranty period, so I commend them for that decision. There was nothing wrong with the CVT. We're keeping our fingers crossed that it will last until the fall when we'll seriously consider getting something else.