Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda MX-5 Miata 2008

Comments

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Tuesday means Mazda chat night! The chat opens at 8:45 pm ET and runs until 10 pm ET. I hope you're able to join us tonight to meet and greet with your fellow CarSpace members!
    See you there!
  • metalsmithmetalsmith Member Posts: 2
    I am looking for miata the first dealer I phoned in ny didn't want to sell it to me, sounds like getting further away from the border might work? Have they respected the warranty now you've had it for a few months or are you still just as happy. Thanks
  • wdukewduke Member Posts: 17
    Still Happy, and the dealer that I bought from has given me a call to see how everything is. They are in Southern California, and the saleman said that if I knew of anyone that was looking they would be happy to put a deal together. Seems that the first deal to a Canadian when smooth for them as well and they would do it again. Warranty has not been an issue, haven't had to use it yet. I know that the local dealer will honor it as I've talked with others that I know in the industry and they realize the scope of the imports, as a matter of fact I know of a local ford dealer who is bringing in US cars as well. If you are looking for a Mazda let me know and I will put you in touch. Will need your email so that we can exchange info..let me know.
  • destrydestry Member Posts: 58
    It's doing great now! Everything was covered and I'm very happy with my MX-5.
    I am averaging 27mpg/300 miles a full tank and that's driving city & highway!
  • metalsmithmetalsmith Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the encouragement, I found a used car with 750 miles. I am going to go look at it, hoping to buy it and bring it back through customs, doing a road trip up through the eastern sea states and east coast of Canada. It reads that it is possible 30 day temporary permit , and my insurance company doesn't have a problem. The only caution I have seen that the fax gets to US customs, and be prepared to pay the tax and duties. Did you bring your car in yourself? Thanks
    If the price is right it should be a no brainer if this is what you are looking for. You can have the documentation faxed to the border prior to you arriving 72 hrs before arriving (weekends don't count) Monday to Fri only and I believe between 8am and 3pm is what most of the border crossing allowing for imports. Once you clear US customs then the Canadian side will take your GST and Import Tax (6.1%) on a credit card. Yes I brought the car into Canada myself, it's a piece of cake, just make sure to fax the following to US Customs...Bill of Sale, Original Title (MSO) Manufactors Statement of Origin, and letter of No Recall, from dealer or manufactor. Good luck and hope it all goes well, zoom zoom
  • wilzapwilzap Member Posts: 107
    Thats great to hear, as you wern't sounding very happy before, so what did they have to do to it?
  • jimploggerjimplogger Member Posts: 17
    Finally took mine back to the dealer. They turned the front rotors and sanded the disc pads. This seems to have corrected the problem. They have not squealed in over three weeks.
    They replaced the gas sensor and I don't think my MX5 is that great on gas. I am only averaging 300 miles per full tank of gas. How many miles should I be getting on the highway with a full tank of gas? How many miles per tank driving in the city? How about combined driving?

Thanks! :sick:
  • milkeymilkey Member Posts: 66
    I've had my PRHT (6mt) for about 3 1/2 months now. While I don't really keep track of range or number of miles on each tankful per se, I can tell you I'm averaging right around 31 mpg of pure highway driving. If you do the math based on the MX-5 12.7 gal. gas tank, it's reasonable to expect at LEAST 350-390 miles on a FULL tank of gas. (Of course, nobody's gonna run their gas tanks completely dry in order to find out!) Strictly city driving, you should expect 23-25 mpg, which would be 292 - 317 miles of range. Your combined range would fall somewhere in the middle, obviously. Are you using the manufacturers recommended 91 or better octane? As we know, driving habits vary from driver to driver, but if you're not getting 300 miles on 12.7 gallons of gas, there's definitely something screwy. Hope you can get some answers.
    My wife's car is the MX-5 PRHT 6 speed auto, with a full tank and straight highway driving using mid grade fuel she is getting a range of about 350 miles or slightly more. This would be at an average speed of 60 -70 mph roughly 2200 -2300rpm. Compared to my SUV 8 cyl. I think it's quite good. We use her car for longer day trips for the fuel economy, or the nice days when the top comes down.
    Thanks for the information!
  • wilzapwilzap Member Posts: 107
    My MPG is always 29 - 30 around town and (this is sad) after 11 months with the car I just took my first road trip which was only 75 miles each way to a concert last week and got 33 MPG out of that tank, but mine is the 6AT..all those years I drove a stick MPG was always better than Auto but also got me lots of tickets,.This 6AT is geared for gas mileage,when I drive in manual/auto mode and paddle shift I'll get about 26MPG but I'm sure I could get even less ;)
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    :D

The funny thing is at the Zoom Zoom Live event, the autos were consistently doing quicker lap times vs. the manual cars.
    Just a quick note to say Canada (RIV) has finally come to grips over the bumper standards. We are finally in line with the U.S. and Europe so that will be one less thing we will have to deal with when importing a vehicle into Canada.
  • icepandaicepanda Member Posts: 4
    Our 2008 MX-5 was hit yesterday by a piece of flying debris on the highway (only 527 miles!! shed a few tears), which tore a hole through the bottom of the bumper and took out the driver side fog light. We're hoping the body shop can match the color - any thoughts? Thanks.
    Sorry to hear that.

The fact that it's new helps a lot - no paint fade to try to match. They should be able to nail it. The color codes are usually on the door jamb sticker.
  • icepandaicepanda Member Posts: 4
    That's exactly what the body shop said today. I took my green Jeep Cherokee to him when my niece backed into it and crushed the front fender. It was hard to tell the difference in the paint and that Jeep was a few years old at the time. We're hoping for the best.
    Cool, good luck.
  • tishpit1tishpit1 Member Posts: 24
    I posted also on the NC forum, so excuse the duplicate. I am looking at a new '08 leftover Grand Touring, but I found I need more lumbar support than the seat provides. Can someone with an '08 tell me if there is a zipper or other access to open up the seat cover to insert a lumbar support (inflatable)? Do the side airbags/wiring interfere with accessing the lower driver's seatback under the leather so the support could be inserted and positioned? I had an old 1990 that I loved and the seat fit fine. The '09's have a re-designed seat that have more lumbar support, but I'm seeing some great deals on the '08's and don't know if I can wait... sun is now shining!!!
    Thanks!
  • tboneiamtboneiam Member Posts: 2
    There are two threads asking about color match. I have a 08 and with less than 100 miles on it and two days old, I was playing with the radio and ran into the back of a guy doing about 25mph. $8,000 worth of damage. Mine is true red and the front end, hood and left fender all had to be replaced or fixed. You can not tell at all even in bright sun light that there was damage. For small stone nicks I purchased a small bottle of touch up paint from the dealer ($6.00) it is thin so you have to work it in coats to cover but match is good. :sick:
    I'm looking at a 2008 Grand Touring sticker at $26,585. It was reduced to $22,400. A Touring model at same dealership was reduced $6,000 off sticker and was sold. Can I expect the same discount on the GT or possibly more?
    I think the discount should be same or more, yes, because the margin on the GT models is greater.

I paid about that same amount, I think it worked out to $22.2k (plus tax and tags only) for a Touring with the Suspension package, hard top, 6 speed manual.

Sticker on mine was slightly higher, so you may even have a little more room to haggle.

A GT came out to around $1500 more than mine, but I would give up the suspension package, and I'd rather have the Torsen than the leather.
    Mazda recommends 91 octane... uh... no one has 91! So do you use the cheaper 89 or the more expensive 93? I'm thinking that the 89 should work o.k.... any comments or real life experiences?
  • tboneiamtboneiam Member Posts: 2
    IF ITS UNDER $4 A GALLON I USE 91 OVER THAT I USE 89. I HAVE A 2008 TOURING 6 SPEED MANUAL AND I NOTICE A SMALL DIFFERENCE IN THE PICK UP AT HIGHER RPMS (WHERE I LIKE TO RUN) BUT :shades: OTHER THAN THAT NO PINGING OR OTHER PROBLEMS THAT COULD OCCUR WITH LOWER OCTANE. 93 IS A KILL NO USE FOR IT, I HAVE TRIED THAT TOO. :shades:
    I'm curious also.

I've gone through 2 tankfuls, so there's not much data yet.

The tank was full when it was delivered. I was thinking that would be premium fuel but to honest I didn't pump it so I can't be 100% sure. That tank yielded 27.0 mpg, a little less if I deduct the 7 miles that were on the car when they filled it up. So 26.3mpg.

2nd tank I filled up with regular ol' 87 octane, and when that was empty I calculated 27.1mpg.

The engine is green and I'm still in the break-in period, so both tanks were driven very conservatively, I've barely gone over 4000 rpm.

I would not be surprised if I'm giving up a couple of horses above 5000rpm but I'm not sure if I go there often enough to convince me that I need it. My '93 had 50 fewer horses and it was adequate, so the new one feels fast in all circumstances.

Perhaps it's best that I don't know what I'm missing, since I haven't ran it to redline with premium in the tank.
    The car was filled at the dealership with 93 octane and I just put in my first tank of gas. I also used 93. I was thrilled to get 30 mpg on an engine that wasn't even broken in yet! My old '90 averaged 27 - 28 mpg on regular unleaded. I find the new MX-5 very spunky, but have not yet tried lower octane gas.
  • bpraxisbpraxis Member Posts: 292
    Happy upcoming Easter everyone and I hope that you are having a wonderful day.

My local dealer has a leftover 2008 GT with an MSRP of $26,000.00.

It has a small ding with a scratch on the mirror.

They are offering the car at $17,600.00.

It is True Red with black leather.

Please tell me if you would buy this car???? What price would you offer?

With appreciation and kind regards
  • erics6erics6 Member Posts: 684
    Not a bad deal if they'll fix the damage. Local dealers around Portland have been advertising $8.5k to $9k off sticker on leftover 08's.

I'd offer $17k, if they'll fix the ding/scratch. See if they'll bite.
    I offered them $16,500.00 and I would live with the ding.

They responded with a hard reverse sales technique that I would not be happy with the car, it was not for me.

We are still negotiating and they are fixing the ding which will require some bondo and painting.

Should I still be interested in purchasing this leftover red GT given the minor bodywork?

MSRP: $26,000.00

Asking Price: $17,600.00
    I think the price is fair...there is a $2500 rebate, invoice must be close to $22-23 grand. How are they even getting that low? The holdback isn't that much, 2-3% or so.

If you don't buy this car please let me know - my brother is actively shopping for one and I'll tell him about this one (if you pass, don't want to block your shot).
    $17.6k is a fair price, if they'll fix the damage. I would not buy a new car with damage, unless repaired.
    I will decide in the next couple of days if the car is still available and will let you know.

My only concern was the bondo and repaint and the possiblity of fading over time and a mismatch.

How would this repair of the ding affect resale value?

With appreciation again.
    As long as it is a professional repair it should have no affect on resale.

Think of it this way. You are paying on the low end for a new car so less depreciation. Think of all those folks who bought near or above invoice and are now trying to sell. I've seen 06's listed for more than the remaining 08's. Not a good time to be selling.
    Agreed, when I was shopping some of the used 06-07 prices actually overlapped with the brand new 08 pricing.

I got my PRHT Touring for $22k, when they first came out it was a $28-30k car.
    Happy holiday to all and do you have any opinion on why the prices are dropping so fast on the Miata???

Is it the econmy combined with new competition.

I will. probably purchase the Ture Red Grand Touring this weekend with the ding for $17,200.00 new. MSRP is $25,985.00

I will live with the ding and save $250.00 and maybe have it repaired later. They say that dent doctor cannot repair it because of the location but I may try them.
    Well, mine was also a model year 2008 and they are trying to sell the last few of those. That explains the $2500 rebate, anyway.

I think the 2009s started arriving later than expected. I bought my 2008 3 months in to 2009, and that's a bit unusual.

Still, the 2009s were priced several grand higher, so I'll take an 08 and the savings.
    I'm resisting going to the local dealers. I know if I go and they agree to something more than $9k off and I'll end up buying. I really do like the PRHT but don't need it. I'm happy with my 93. Maybe someday.

Another Portland dealer was advertising $9k off sticker this last weekend. Of course most of the cars left are loaded GT's and PRHT's that sticker close to $30k. A lot of automatics left.
    Ugh, my timing was bad.

I got a $2500 rebate but I hear the rebate is now a whopping $5000.

If you seriously want one, I doubt there will ever be a better time to buy. Heck, I thought I was getting a great deal, imagine paying $2500 less.

The catch? Selection is dwindling, you probably won't get exactly what you want.

I'm bummed because I was pretty flexible. Oh well.
    That's the problem. I found exactly what I want. Black and tan PRHT GT with suspension and appearance package. Must resist!
    You'll probably pay less than I did for a Touring PRHT.

There will be no better time - possibly ever.

What shocked me was they increased the rebate just as Spring started. Who would have predicted that? :sick:
    I just bought a leftover '08 Touring for about $8,000 off sticker... VERY happy! I've seen used ones costing more. If I were you, I'd GRAB it! Personally, I prefer the front appearance of the '08's as the '09's have that big "smiley" front that I think detracts from the look of the car. Seems like all the Mazda models are heading towards that look... why... I haven't a clue.
    I bought my MX-5 in 2007 and I prefer my front end over the 2009's. I don't like the red tail lights either.
    Hello everyone and I am deciding between Copper Red Mica and Galaxy Grey.

Does anyone have any pros and cons that would help me make a decision?

Thankyou
  • milkeymilkey Member Posts: 66
    I've had my Copper Red Mica for exactly one year now and absolutely LOVE it. I've never regretted the choice. The color was unique to the NC (third generation) MX-5 when it debuted as an '06 model. It's a definite head-turner on this car and actually changes color slightly depending on the ambient light... very classy. It stands out just enough to be noticed, but without screaming, "look at me!" -like the "too orangey" True Red. My second choice was the Galaxy Grey, but at the end of the day, wanted something a bit brighter and more unique. The Grey, IMO, blends into the highway and the daily commuters a little too much for me. On the other hand, the Copper Red color may date itself before the GG does. Galaxy Grey will hide dirt & dust better than the CRM, so that's a consideration. You really can't go wrong with either choice, but for my money the CRM had more "wow" factor. :)
    Thank so much for your great insights and very thoughtful observations.

Those are the two colors that I will decide on over the next week for a left over 2008.

The other question is weather to purchase a sport with the convienence package or a touring model.

The sport would save me about $1200.00

Would the base sport model provide a smoother ride?

Are there any other pros or cons you can think of?

I actually like the looks of the base wheels better and they should be easier to clean.

Thank you very much for your feedback.
    I too prefer the CRM, though I got the light silver because that was what the dealer had left along with black and the dark green, both of which I did not like. I'm pleased with the silver; hides dirt well and looks very classy with the black top and interior. As for touring vs. sport; I got the touring, but drove both. I liked the Sport, but oddly enough, the dealer with the Sport wanted more $ than the one with the Touring, so went for the latter. Personally, I prefer the smaller wheel/tire combo since the huge 17" wheels are very rough riding, especially over road imperfections. The Touring also has the strut mount support, but not really sure that makes a big difference. Drive both, especially over some rough roads and see which you like better.
    You lucky dog! Congrats.

I think my deal was more like $6000 off sticker, so you beat me by a couple of grand at least. Lucky duck! Great timing.
    I also had to choose between the Sport and Touring. I ended up with the Touring plus the Suspension Package - it's a sports car after all, so it seemed to make sense to get the sportiest model. Bigger wheels, lower profile tires, and Bilstein shocks all add to the experience.

I think the 16" rims and taller profile tires might be more practical, but c'mon, it's a Miata.

Same for the color.

Gray is the more practical choice. If you want it, stop reading here.

Still reading? OK, the dark red is simply drop-dead gorgeous. I've heard people call it "wine color", and it looks great from all angles. Not flashy, but classy.

To be honest that dark red with a tan interior is the best color combo you can get, bar none. Absolutely gorgeous.

Mine's blue, and it's a bit dark for my tastes, but for me it was that or dark green, and it wasn't British Racing Green so I went with Stormy Blue Mica.
    Hello tishbit and ateixeira and thank you so much for the very insightful feedback.

Here is my take on Sport vs. Touring:

1. The 16 inch wheels have more style in my opinion and should be easier to clean with only five spokes. The 17 inch wheels look somewhat generic to me but attractive.

2. My preference would be for a softer ride with the base model.

3. I would guess that the 16 inch tires would provide more tread life. Performance tires are usually only good for around 20,000 miles unless you drive like grandma which is me.

Are there really any other advantages for me to purchase the touring over the sport?

Why do I want to shift six gears instead of five?

I guess that I must be an old fart now, LOL.

Does the stereo sound much different with two extra speakers?
This discussion has been closed.