Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda MX-5 Miata 2008

Comments

• aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    Milford and Norwalk are about 30 minutes from me. I'm located in Danbury.
  • milkeymilkey Posts: 66
    Thanks for the info on Mazda Roadside...it sounds like a nice plan. Between that, the repair kit and AAA I'll feel okay on those roadtrips. :)
    No problem.

Lets be real here, how often do you encounter a blown tire? That's what I thought. That is exactly why Mazda does not include a spare tire. Not to mention the fact that the MX-5 is a seasonal car to begin with, and they are usually driven UNDER 10,000 miles per year. Less weight, and less cost. Really not a bad decision on Mazda's part, if you think about it.
  • irnmdnirnmdn Posts: 240
    Has anyone tired to fit full size 15 or 16 inch rim and tires from Mazda3 in NC MX-5 trunck?
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I have to agree. Never used my spare.

In fact one time I checked and my spare was flat. Oops. Wouldn't even had been useful if I did get a flat.

I've only taken it out of town twice, to the beach, about 150 miles away. I doubt I'll do that again. It's cramped for long trips like that.
    Yesterday, our dealership participated in an auction simulcast over the internet. It was held by Mazda for Mazda dealers only. These were Mazda exec. cars. We targeted numerous vehicle, including MX-5's, and they were going to STUPID money. We are talking about $3,000 to $4,000 OVER Glaves value, which is over retail!! Needless to say, we could not buy any.
    Bummer, so no price drop on used 2006s.

It's OK, my 93 is still running great. I can wait.
    Best bet is still lease turn ins. They are popping up. These Mazda program vehicles, like what we tried to get yesterday, go for too much.
    Are those from Manheim? They get the cream of the crop.
    Yeah, the auction was held at Manheim for Mazda, out in CA. All were top line merchandise, in basically pristine condition.
  • redmxredmx Posts: 1
    Be glad that you didn't get run flats. I test drove one at the dealer the day I bought my MX-5. They are VERY noisy and feels like you are riding on solid rubber tires. I had Goodyear runflats on my Vette. They came O.E. and I couldn't wait to get them off.
  • robger99robger99 Posts: 42
    I know what you mean about the car feeling like it is going faster than it is.I have a speed 6 that really flies and im constantly exceeding the speed limit-I just bought an 08 touring with 6 speed and i find myself going slightly under the speed limit quite a bit of the time. This could be a good thing if it avoids some tickets. The car is a blast so far-had the top down a few times and it is really fun to drive.Enjoy your car!
  • robger99robger99 Posts: 42
    Just got an 08 touring with 17" run flats. Have a buddy at work who will sell me a set of four 16" winter tires on rims for $100.00- only used one season on his bmw. Im assuming these should fit because the base tires are 16" right? Any input appreciated.
  • bdkinnhbdkinnh Posts: 292
    Maybe, maybe not. I'm not familiar with the MX-5, but I know that BMW's are what is known as 'hub centric'. Miata & hub centric. You may need a hub ring.

Even if they do match, you would also need to make sure the bolt pattern is the same. If you're going up a size then the brake clearance shouldn't be a problem, but you should check it to make sure.
  • I would also check the offset of the bmw wheel vs the offset required for the miata to clear the brake calipers.
    My guess is no, probably not.

My '93 Miata has a 4x100mm, not sure about the newer ones, but I doubt it matches BMW's bolt pattern.
  • I am thinking of buying a 2008 Miata. On my current vehicle, not a Miata, I rotate my tires (front to back) every 5000 miles for optimal tire wear. I noticed that on the new mx-5 the rear tires are slightly wider. Can I rotate the tires on this car? What do others do? Thanks for your input.
  • milkeymilkey Posts: 66
    Just took delivery 4/26 of our '08 MX-5, drove it 500+ miles from the dealer in MN to our home in ND, and we couldn't be happier! (Nothing like taking care of that 600 mile break-in period in short order!) We waited a little over 5 months from our order date last November... just in time for summer fun!
    Here's how the deal breaks down-
    Copper Red Mica GT, 6-speed manual PRHT, only options wheel locks and splash guards. Dealer Invoice: $25,778. Sticker: $27,645. Dealer knocked $1500 off sticker, plus they honored a $500 Mazda rebate certificate we had gotten in the mail several weeks ago. Bottom line: $25,645. We're very grateful to Walser Mazda in Burnsville, MN for a pleasant buying experience and what we think is a heckuva deal. I'd recommend them to anybody out there looking to buy a PRHT. They are the largest Mazda dealer in Minnesota and usually have several in stock.
    After my first 36 hours with the car, a couple of things immediately come to mind. 1).All the comments I've read about the door cupholders intruding into the driver's knee: Hogwash! Not even CLOSE! I seriously have no idea what those people are talking about. My cupholders -and my knees- are just fine, thank you! 2).All the comments I've read about the car needing taller gears: Absolutely true! I agree 100%! I was running at 3100 rpm at 62 mph, 3500 at 70, and 3800 at 80. I understand it's a roadster and low-end torque is desirable, but I'd sure like to see those rpm's drop to 25-2800 at 75mph or so. 3).All those comments about how driving this car is impossible without a smile on one's face: 100% absolutely TRUE! The sound at idle and the exhaust note alone are worth the price of admission. And I haven't even squeaked the tires yet (the first time the wife's not in the car with me I'm boilin' the skins! - hey, it's HER car and I don't want her to take the keys away ;) )
  • you will need to disable the DSC to squeak the tires. Enjoy your new car.
  • wdukewduke Posts: 17
    Have you found one yet, I just bought a 2008 PRHT GT, copper mica 6 speed auto in southern California. They also had a couple of 2007 as well on the lot. Had mine shipped to Washington State, and imported it to Canada. Asking was $29, 700 and got it for $27,450