Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda MX-5 Miata 2008

molterdmolterd Posts: 1
edited July 22 in Mazda

Comments

• gputzgputz Posts: 49
    2008 looks to be largely a carryover year for the MX-5. No new colors and only minor feature and interior changes. The saddle colored interior will have less pumpkin colored plastic and top models get driver's seat height adjustment and a 6-disc changer as standard. PRHT still seems to be in limited supply.
  • sher2327sher2327 Posts: 43
    It's almost impossible to find these cars. I had to travel about 400 miles to a dealer to see a 2007, which was sold before it arrived at the dealership! After much research and shopping in several states to find one, I learned that the 2008 model had exactly what I needed, the seat height adjustment. I was sold and found a dealer who could order one for me. Since dealers are allocated only a certain number of orders per month, it wasn't easy to find a dealer who could order! What an ordeal, you would think that Mazda would push these cars out quicker due to demand. The price is still under $30k and it seems people aren't bothered by the price. Paid MSRP + delivery and am looking at a 6 month wait, just in time for spring 2008. :)
  • ihammerihammer Posts: 75
    There is a Special Edition GT coming out in 2008 which is icy blue with saddle brown leather (kind of looks dark brown) interior and dark brown rag top. The icy blue looks really nice in the picture. Mazda is calling the current saddle color "saddle tan" for the 2008s.
  • what dealer did you find that would order it? I have been trying to special order one and all the dealers keep telling me I cant! Even if I want to pay cash for it!
  • sher2327sher2327 Posts: 43
    You'll have to find a dealer that has an allocation to be able to order one. I looked in several states close to me and found one in St. Cloud, MN. They cannot order again until October. You can find 08 PRHT in southern states, but if you don't want all the expensive options that dealers order on these cars for their lot, you'll have to special order and wait. That's what I did :D
  • destrydestry Posts: 58
    I have a 2007 MX-5 Roadster and love it...For those of you wanting one, it's a fun car and it's fun to drive! :shades:
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    Call me, I can order one for you! j/k...not allowed to do that here...but, seriously, dealer allocations are slim once again, and once allocations are filled, we have to wait for the chance to order again. That might be the problem that you are running into.
  • m1miatam1miata Posts: 4,556
    Anyone know of a larger seat for 2008? I have emailed Mazda, but this is the long weekend, so I doubt a reply back anytime soon, unless they are working without holiday. Which is possible. Haven't a clue where the email goes to. Anyway, the current seats are too narrow.
    Loren
    Same seat. Only difference is you can adjust the height.
  • I'm glad to see that. But I sure wish the passenger seat also would have height adjustment. My wife won't let me buy a MX-5, because she says the seat is too low. And I don't plan to let her do all the driving!
    :cry:
  • gputzgputz Posts: 49
    Ordering one of these cars is not for the faint of heart. You have to be someone who can sit quietly and wait. If you try to ask for a status, you will either go no information or wrong information. I've been waiting since April and I have two more months to go. I could write a book detailing the hassle I've experienced. And I'm not alone. Mazda allocates these cars quarterly and that's all we know for certain. Best of luck to those who've ordered. Sit tight.
    You are right about the allocation method. We have only had 2 allocations, and only been allowed to order 3 in each. One came in and has been delivered. Out of the other 5, 3 are already sold.

If you plan to order one, you have to wait for the next allocation for that dealer, which may be a month or more from when you left your deposit with the dealer. I know this sucks, but, it is what it is.
  • I agree with you on the seats being narrow!
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I'm sure you could put in a spacer, or have a metal shop fabricate a taller bracket.

I have spacers on the front of my 93's seat track, to raise the front of the seat and give me some thigh support.

It's a small change, though, maybe 3/8".
  • :confuse: What kind of hassles have you experienced? Did your dealer enter the order directly into Mazda (via computer) while you were present? It's sounding like dealers are making promises they aren't keeping, i.e. saying they have been allocated a PRHT, but maybe ordering a few months later?
    A dealer can take an order whenever they choose, the problem is, the dealer can only actually "place the order" once a month, when allocation is due. If in that allocation, the dealer is not allowed to order a PRHT, then you must wait until the next allocation the dealer is allowed to. Make sense?

A Mazda dealer cannot just "enter the order directly into the computer" when the customer is there. It just does not work that way.
  • I did watch the sales manager enter it directly into the computer and assume it was Mazda website. It's been one month and still no notification from Mazda that the order is being processed, but the sales manager is confident it's in process and he will be forwarding the VIN # to me when he receives notification. He told me 6 months to delivery so that is what I'm expecting. I wish there was a way to track progress through Mazda but there isn't. Frustrating. If delivery takes beyond 6 months I will be very unhappy! The anticipation of this car is very high :)
  • I watched him enter the order, he even said this was the neatest part, i.e. to be able to watch the order get placed directly to Mazda. This dealer did have one allocation spot in August to fill and I assume it was me and what I saw was factual! It better have been or I will be extremely :mad:
    I was told the seats are the same in width for 2008 Miatas. Well I sat in one yesterday, and I am thinking it does feel slightly wider. Or maybe I lost a couple of pounds???
    Loren
    Those hoops, alias roll bar hoops, actually too low for most drivers height? Yeah, I am one of those guys which buy a roll bar for soft top cars, just seems like the thing to do to save thy head. Loren
    Last week, I went to Skip barber Racing School at Lime Rock Park in Lakeville, CT. Mazda is one of the brands of choice to race with Skip Barber, as well as BMW and Porsche. I must say, we drove the MX-5 on an autocross track, and the car was just amazing. Now I know why the MX-5 has been highly regarded as a true sports car with lots of racing credentials. Kudos Mazda for building such a true performer.
    Now that's what I call a fun job! Sounds like fun.
    It was a lot of fun. The instructors said it was the best job they ever had.
  • The dealer told me they were ordering my PRHT MX-5 on 6/6/07. I was told it would be arrive within 2-3 months (at the most). I was then told in August that I would have my car no later than 9/8/07. Now the dealer has told me that 9/8/07 was the day construction of my car would start, and I would have to wait another 2-3 months. I am most disappointed! By the time I get my car it will be just in time to drive it over to my storage facility. This car had better be worth it!
  • IT WILL BE WORTH THE WAIT! I got a grand touring PRHT but found one in another city. I have had it a week. I have taken lots of people for a spin. They all want one now! :)
    I wonder if the popularity of this model will bring down the price of used 06s, which I'm considering...

:shades:
    You got an '08? I sat in one the other day, and I think it has a little more room in the seat. Or maybe it was just that particular seat or it was all my imagination. If anyone has an opportunity to sit in the '07 and '08 model the same day, like in a Miata club run day, please let me know if those seats feel different. L
    Who knows. I just know when I go to the auction, the 2006+ are bringing more money then I can spend on one, and actually sell retail at a reasonable price. To me, that means the value is to high right now.

With the extremely low production numbers of the PRHT, I do not think it has much affect on the rag tops resale value.
  • I don't have specifics, but I was told by a dealer that there is more head and leg room in the 08's. He told me how much but I have forgotten. I am not sure about the seats being wider. I did get a 2008.
    What's the auction price?

I see then dipping to about $16-17k on the retail market. I'll probably snap one up when they get closer to $10k.
This discussion has been closed.