Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Stalling Problem

Comments

• I have a 96 GMC Sierra with a 5.7 engine and when I start it the truck idles rough and dies. This especially happens when in gear. This is the second time that this has happened the first time i cleaned the intake and MAF Sensor and it ran great also added some heat to the fuel tank.

Thanks for your help :sick:
  • I work out of town for 2 weeks at a time. Truck ran fine when I left it in the garage. No one drove it while I was gone. Started fine, went to town and it stalled at a light. It seems to idle fine, especially when first starting, but dies when rpms drop. Drives fine, lights don't go dim, alternator is okay according to gauge. changed battery. No codes or engine lights come on. truck is an 03 sierra 4.8 liter. always garaged and maintained. Seems to die when I slow down and come to a light or whenever I the rev the motor and release, the rpms drop and it stalls, but fires right back up. I do see a slight voltage drop when turning on all lights and heater and radio, but never falls below 14.5. Any help would be appreciated, money is tight as all can attest.
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    Sounds like a bad throttle position sensor. I would start there.
  • My truck is doing the exact same thing only when it's cold but today it finally stalled out so i replaced the fuel filter and no luck any one have any suggestions please help!!
  • sounds like carbon build up on your throttle plates. just spray it down and wipe it off
  • OK, I have a problem that I've bounced off of several folks and not gotten a good answer on, so hopefully someone here can help me out. I have a 2000 GMC Sierra, 4.8L V8. The truck starts and runs fine cold or hot. However, if you let it come up to temp, then cool part way down - about an hour - it acts like there is no fuel getting to it. I can't explain why, but if I puch the accellerator to the floor and let it crank for about 5 seconds, it starts, idles rough, then goes on as if nothing happens. This has been a problem for about 6 months. Any suggestions???
  • I have a 2002 5.3 4X4 Sierra with 137,000 miles. Recent work done was crank shaft positioning sensor (fall 2010), cad. convertor, fuel pump, oem gas cap (in Feb 2011). Two codes of P0440 in the past 3 weeks since the fuel pump was replaced. After the truck sits for 8+ hours (at work) it starts fine and idles around 1000 to 800 rpm. Put in gear and it begins to rough idle at 700 to 500 rpm until the throttle is depressed. It seems to run fine but at a slightly higher idle then norm. Once stopped at a intersection it idles down to 5-600 rpm and dips down to 300 then wants to stall out. It does restart right back up with similar symptoms, but once the engine warms up (15 minutes at highway speed) it seems to idle fine and does not want to stall out. Unkown if the fuel filter was cleaned or replaced with the fuel pump installed or if all fuel connections are sealed at installation. I am expecting the P0440 code to come back as it has after 5 days of being cleared. ANY THOUGHTS?
  • That's similar to what mine is doing though I've only replace the throttle position sensor so far. That didn't fix it but the old sensor definitely had too much play in it. Will post an answer if I ever fix it. More frustrating than anything.
    Have you changed or cleaned the idle air controller?
  • jixsteeljixsteel Posts: 1
    Did you ever get this fixed? my Silverado does the exact same thing, runs great if I unplug the MAF, replaced the MAF still same problem. I also replaced map sensor, TPS, cleaned TB and replaced gaskets. thanks
  • I have since fixed the problem.
    I sold the truck, to a co-worker.
    The issue was a degraded connection at the cap. The two wire connector at the top had corded soo badly that it was only making intermittent connection.
  • Did you ever get your truck fixed? What was the cause?
  • The distributor cap?
  • Nope. Only does it after the engine has completely warmed up and cooled off partially.
  • drvettedrvette Posts: 99
    edited January 2012
    This is the most TSB's I've ever seen assigned to a single vehicle.
    Note that most vehicles will NOT ever have all these problems.

I suggest printing these pages, please NOTE these TSB cover many Engines from 4.8L V8 to the 6.6L to the 8.1L so be patient with your technician.

Take your problematic vehicle to the Biggest OR the Best GM dealer within driving distance, be patient, be nice and be Generous to those who help.

Quote:
    "448 Technical Service Bulletins May Apply, 2002 CHEVROLET Silverado"
    2002 Silverado TSB

These are "brief" descriptions, you have to buy a subscription to Alldata to get the full deal.

The "few" I copied may or may NOT help your issues.

Bulletin No: 00149C
    11/21/2003
    Summary Description
    MALFUNCTION INDICATOR LAMP ON WITH A P0300 SET AND A MISFIRE. VARIOUS MODELS INCLUDING THE 1996-1999 P32 AND THE 1996-2002 GMC C/K TRUCK. *TT

Bulletin No: 3232
    5/10/2005
    Summary Description:
    1999 - 2005 GEN II COLD ENGINE MISFIRE AT IDLE WITH POSSIBLE P0171 AND/OR P0174. *TT

Bulletin No: 3004
    08/25/2004
    Summary Description:
    4.8L 5.3L 6.6L 8.1L P1285 P1286 OR P2133 AFTER REPLACING APP SENSOR. *MJ

Bulletin No: 00266
    07/02/2004
    Summary Description:
    LOSS OF POWER, HESITATES ON ACCELERATION ON 4.8, 5.3 AND 6.0 ENGINES COUPLED WITH THE 4L60E OR 4L65E TRANSMISSION. *TT

Bulletin No: 100803
    01/22/2004
    Summary Description:
    THE ENGINE DIAGNOSTIC FUEL LEAKS INSIDE OF THE ENGINE. GM VOICEMAIL LOG. THIS INCLUDES 2000 - 2004 CHEVROAND GMC C4500 AND 5500 TRUCKS. *TT

Bulletin No:030604059
    01/06/2004
    Summary Description:
    REVISED FUEL LEAKS INSIDE OF ENGINE DIAGNOSTIC. 2004 CHEVROLET KODIAK AND GMC TOPKICK ALSO INCLUDED. *TT

Bulletin No: 3147
    11/02/2004
    Summary Description:
    CONCERNS REGARDING BULLETIN 00-02-35-003F. ALL FULL SIZE TRUCKS AND UTILITIES AND HUMMER PARTS AVAILABLE. *TC

Bulletin No: 04039
    07/13/2004
    Summary Description:
    CHEVROLET\GMC SERVICE CAMPAIGN: SEE DOCUMENT SEARCH BUTTON FOR OWNER LETTER. SPECIAL POLICY ADJUSTMENT - INJECTORS - REPLACE. *MJ UPDATED 2/21/08. *NJ CSC LETTER WAS RECEIVED. UPDATED 3/5/10. *PE

Bulletin No: PIP-4138K
    06/08/2011
    Summary Description:
    GM: THE SERVICE ENGINE SOON LIGHT IS ON, THERE IS ALSO A MISFIRE OR ENGINE NOISE. THERE ARE MULTIPLE POSSIBLE CAUSES.

Bulletin No: 5500
    11/10/2005
    Summary Description:
    THE IGNITION DISTRIBUTOR CAP AND ROTOR MAY CORRODE AND CAUSE IGNITION SYSTEM FAILURE. A PRODUCT EMISSION RECALL TO INSPECT / REPLACE THE DISTRIBUTOR IGNITION SYSTEM. *TT GM PARTS BULLETINS & INFORMATION. *TT

Bulletin No:050604007
    11/08/2005
    Summary Description:
    POOR ENGINE PERFORMANCE - MISFIRE, ROUGH IDLE, STALLS, ENGINE CRANKS BUT DOES NOT RUN, SERVICE ENGINE SOON/CHECK ENGINE LIGHT ILLUMINATED, DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE (DTC) P0300 SET. *TT

Bulletin No: 030604030
    08/14/2003
    Summary Description:
    MULTIPLE DRIVEABILITY SYMPTOMS OF LONG OR HARD STARTS, CHUGGLE, ROUGH IDLE AND LIGHT OR INTERMITTENT MISFIRE DUE TO CLOGGED FUEL INJECTORS. *TT

Bulletin No: 050604029
    1/03/2005
    Summary Description:
    FLEXIBLE FUEL (RPO L59) ROUGH IDLE, MISFIRE, MALFUNCTION INDICATOR LAMP DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE P0300. *TT

Bulletin No: 3317
    10/28/2005
    Summary Description:
    HARD START / NO START OUTSIDE TEMPERATURES BELOW FREEZING. *TT UPDATED 7/13/09. *PE

Bulletin No: 3325
    0/27/2005
    Summary Description:
    SUPPLEMENT TO BULLETIN 99-06-04-047A FOR FUEL SYSTEM CLEANING. *TT

Bulletin No: 3312
    10/27/2005
    Summary Description:
    NO START, HARD START, LOSS OF POWER, OR WHITE SMOKE. *TT

Bulletin No: 050604024
    05/13/2005
    Summary Description:
    REVISED DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE (DTC) P1172 AND DTC P2636. *TT

Bulletin No:50604025
    05/13/2005
    Summary Description:
    REVISED DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE (DTC) U2104. *TT

Bulletin No: 040604088
    05/12/2005
    Summary Description:
    REPLACEMENT OF CONNECTOR WHEN REPLACING FUEL TANK MODULE/FUEL PUMP MODULE. *TT

Bulletin No: 3375
    05/11/2005
    Summary Description:
    ROUGH IDLE, SERVICE ENGINE SOON (SES)LIGHT, UNSTABLE IDLE, HESITATION, SURGE OR STALLING. WITH DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES P0300, P0335 OR P0336. *TT

Bulletin No: 11062003
    04/11/2005
    Summary Description:
    AIRFLOW SENSOR PROBLEM. *EH

Bulletin No: 040603002
    03/10/2005
    Summary Description:
    DIAGNOSTIC INFORMATION FOR INTERMITTENT VEHICLE NO CRANK DEAD BATTERY. *EH

Bulletin No: 040604007A
    3/08/2005
    Summary Description:
    SERVICE ENGINE SOON (SES) LIGHT, P0087, P0093, P1093, LOW POWER, NO START, HARD START, FUEL IN CRANKCASE. THIS SERVICE BULLETIN REPLACES 040604007. *EH

Bulletin No: 030604036
    03/07/2005
    Summary Description:
    INFORMATION ON SERVICING FUEL INJECTORS TO AVOID CONTAMINATION. *EH UPDATED 03-19-07. *KB

Bulletin No: 040601018
    12/15/2005
    Summary Description:
    INFORMATION ON REVISED DESIGN OF INTAKE GASKET AND RELATED BOLTS FOR 2004 MID-YEAR ENHANCEMENT AND PRIOR YEAR SERVICE USAGE. *TT

Bulletin No: 040604007E
    02/15/2005
    Summary Description:
    SERVICE ENGINE SOON (SES) LIGHT, P0087, P0093, P1093, LOW POWER, NO START, HARD START, FUEL IN CRANKCASE. *TT

Bulletin No: 040604040
    02/15/2005
    Summary Description:
    IDLE INSTABILITY, LOW OR ROUGH IDLE WITH ELECTRONIC THROTTLE CONTROL. *TT

Bulletin No: 3239
    01/31/2005
    Summary Description:
    LB7 ENGINE VIBRATION MISS OR RUNS ROUGH NO DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE. THIS ALSO INCLUDES LB7 C2 C3 C4 C5 D4 D5 E4 E5 K2 K3. *EH

Bulletin No: 3232
    01/28/2005
    Summary Description:
    MISFIRE AT IDLE COLD AND POSSIBLE P0171 AND OR P0174. *EH

Bulletin No: 040849019
    01/11/2005
    Summary Description:
    CRANKS BUT NO START, STALL, INACCURATE/INCORRECT FUEL GAUGE READING, NO FUEL, VEHICLE IS OUT OF FUEL AND FUEL GAUGE READS ABOVE EMPTY. *TT THIS BULLETIN REPLACES PREVIOUS BULLETIN NUMBER 04-08-49-019. *TT

Bulletin No: 040604001
    1/03/2005
    Summary Description:
    VARIOUS INTERMITTENT DRIVEABILITY CONDITIONS - HESITATION, LACK OF POWER, ETC. *TT

Bulletin No: 3149
    12/15/2004
    Summary Description:
    FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR CONNECTOR OR TERMINAL REPAIRS. *TT

Bulletin No: 3187
    12/15/2004
    Summary Description:
    ENGINE LOW POWER WILL NOT GO OVER 2300 RPMS. *EH UPDATED 6/11/10. *PE

Bulletin No: 3056
    11/17/2004
    Summary Description:
    CHECK ENGINE LIGHT WITH A P0300 DUE TO 2-4 CYLINDERS MISFIRING ON THE SAME BANK OF THE ENGINE. *TT

Bulletin No: 3107
    11/04/2004
    Summary Description:
    P0420 AND P0430 DTSC IN THE DETROIT, MICHIGAN AREA WITH GEN III V-8 ENGINES. *SC

Bulletin No: 3119
    11/04/2004
    Summary Description:
    ENGINEERING INVESTIGATION - CATALYTIC CONVERTER REPLACEMENT. *SC

Bulletin No: 3121
    11/04/2004
    Summary Description:
    6.6 LB7 ENGINE WITH A NO CHARGE CONDITION WITH DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE P0380 P0621. *SC

Bulletin No: 3055
    10/14/2004
    Summary Descr
    I worked for about 2 hrs posting those TSB's

Only about HALF of them showed up, NO warning from Edmunds that I was running over the text limit.

Anyway folks, follow the link, see if your vehicle meets some of the issues, or better yet, tell your Tech to stop being so cheap and buy an Alldata subscription.

Can yo imagine, looking through 448 TSB

Good Luck
    Rusty Wrench
    To.the techs at the dealership. Now whether they take the time to check through them is another story.
  • I have a 2002 chev with 4.8 litre. In cold weather it idles high and low, also stalls when its really cold. Changed sparkplugs, throttle position sensor, altinator, fuel pump, and still does this. It seems to run better when I unplug the air flow sensor. Just wondering if anyone knows what could be the problem..?
    Try cleaning the MAF wire with some carb cleaner.

Do you get any codes ?

2002 Chevrolet "Truck"?

Theres quite a few TSB on the 1500 pickup, several include running conditions..

check them out, and see if your wrench can identify the issue.

Sometimes it's cheaper to let a "good" dealer to diagnose the problem

2002 Silverado 1500
  • vantasselvantassel Posts: 2
    edited January 2012
    you say clean the maf wire with carb cleaner, would that be just the plug in?
    the only code that comes up is a misfire on multiple cylinders! yes it is a truck.
  • Ive had this issue for quite some time now. In the mornings after the truck has sat for 8+ hours, I start the truck and the turn over is fine and the engine revs up fine. After the initial start up it begins to bog down, almost as if it is going to die but never does. The RPM's jump back up almost as if you pressed the gas peddal down hard, then idles normal and repeats itself bogging down and back to normal. It has done it a couple times bad enough where it gave me a check engine light but when I leave the driveway it goes away. The only code it throws is a random misfire. After about 10 min, the truck idles fine as if everything is great. No other problems after she warms up. I have checked EVERYTHING (almost)...not a single mechanic can figure out why it is doing this. I have had new plugs, new fuel filter, mass airflow sensor, IAC valve, etc. I have a buddy with one of those code readers and he says everything shows my truck is running fine. he told me to try unplugging my MAF sensor and see what it did, crazy this is....it seemed to make the bogging go away...so I thought that was the problem...NOPE! Can someone PLEASE tell me what this "COULD" be or what could be causing this??? Anything will be helpful! Thanks!
    -B
    Was the MAF oem or aftermarket?

Check the throttle position sensor?
  • I have a 2002 GMC Sierra 1500 that had the exact same symptoms.I was told by a friend that also had the same problem with his 2002 that it was the intake manifold gaskets leaking ( vacuum leak). I live in Alaska and we get some pretty severe temperature swings (it was -40F 3 weeks ago,now it's +20F). I think the composite manifold shrinks slightly in the cold which exaggerates the leak. I replaced the gaskets with new GM factory gaskets and it worked. Runs like a champ now. I read somewhere that the original gaskets on the 2002 used a inferior compound for the rubber seal, which GM has changed. The old rubber on the gaskets was orange, the new gaskets I purchased from GM had a teal colored rubber gasket.
  • I have a 2002 Chevy Silverado z71. When I first get up in the morning the truck runs fine (it is a little sluggish). When I leave work it runs horribly. When I step on the accelerator it bogs down and when I let up on the pedal just a little it will accelerate just fine for a bit then bog down and start shaking. I jsut replaced my catalytic convertor less than 20,000 miles ago. I have replaced fuel filter, spark plugs and wires. Any help would be great.
    I'd start by cleaning the throtte body and checking the throttle position sensor.
  • saintlensaintlen Posts: 1
    OK, THE PROBLEM WE FOUND IS SOMETHING PROGRAMED INTO THE COMPUTER TO MAKE IT PUT OUT A 300 CODE AFTER HIGH MILES TO MAKE US
    1- TURN IT IN & BUY AN OTHER ONE, BEFORE SOME THING GOES BAD.
    2- SPEND A LOT OF MONEY AT THE DEALER TO TRY TO FIND THE PROBLEM .
    3- JUST TO DRIVE US NUTS THINKING WE HAVE A BIG PROBLEM.

OUR TRUCK RUNS FINE ACCEPT FOR THAT CODE, THEREFORE WE DO NOT CARE HOW MANY TIMES IT FLASHES.

I SAY ENJOY YOUR TRUCK FORGET THE CODE 300.!!!!!!!!!!

SAINTLEN, MACH. FOR OVER 50 YEARS.
  • zpatcheszpatches Posts: 1
    Hi everyone

about 3 months ago I bought a GMC sierra 2012 V6 4.3L from the showroom brand new.
    Last month it went for its first 10 000km service, but from around 5000km on the car I have had a problem with my car not wanting to pull away, for example when I am at a roundabout and i need to press the accelerator to go forward, the car does not move, it goes forward really slowly and then makes a loud bang noise from the right front side of the engine, only after this sound comes the car has its normal speed back and moves.

Though this problem only happens sometimes. somedays this does not happen and other days it does it 3 for times.. I have been to the Main GMC service centre several times and the assistant manager even took it for a test drive but this problem did not happen with him in the car. now he is accusing me of lying.

Does anyone have this problem or know what it might be, it will be a great help.
    Thank you

ps. my car has been more in the service center than i have actually driven it.. :'(
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Posts: 1,964
    I see that you are using kilometers as your unit of measure - are you writing from Canada? If so, I would suggest contacting GM of Canada at 800-263-3777 (Hours: M-F 7:30am - 11:30pm, Sat 7:30am - 6:00 EST).
    Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • I had the same problem, bought a 94 silverado. Has new cap, wires ,plugs,iac valve but dies at stops and slow turns. Changed the egr valve and it ran great , its fixed and now im happy. Hope this helps. I checked it by using a vacuum guage on it and it didnt move, or you can rev the engine while holding underneath it and see if it moves on the diaphram. Make sure you have vacuum going to it while reving the engine a little.
  • I bought a 94 silverado, has new cap, wires, plugs, fuel filter, and iac valve. Has thw 5.7 350 in it. I messed with it for days trying to figure it out and found a bad egr valve. It would kill the engine when pushed in but didnt suck in at all under higher rpms or with my vacuum guage. I replaced it and now my truck runs great. Doesnt even try to die or have a low idle anymore. Made the transmission shift better also. Hope this helps everyone because i know it drove me crazy.