Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Stalling Problem

Comments

• john463john463 Posts: 2
    I have been driving without any problem, but suddenly motor stop, and don't star again, I have a new battery, ignition sounds like always. after a few minutes, let say 5 minutes car's start again without problems and continue working fine.
    I don´t know what cause this failure, can you help me.

thanks in advance for your help,
    John
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    No start condition is related either to no spark or no fuel. Best bet to start there...
  • don174don174 Posts: 1
    I had this problem on 2003 Silverado 4.8L and got it fixed. It needed a Throttle Body Cleaning - result was RPM increase from 400 to 600.

What didn't work - new air cleaner, replaced OEM with 130K miles; re-charge low battery (maybe it was a battery/alternator issue? It wasn't); 30-minute idle reset after all engine codes erased.

It ran well before but stalled as it slowed to approach lights or stop signs. Now it runs great!
  • padassopadasso Posts: 3
    Mine did this on and off for about two years. It was a crank sensor. replaced it and have had no problems for 3 years. Good Luck.
  • dlesagedlesage Posts: 1
    hey had my 93 gmc 1500 for under a year bought it used great running truck never had any trouble until last weekend it stalled coming down a hill its progressively gotten worse, it doesn't always stall it will lose power at the pedal and if i lay off gas for a few seconds and give gas it will maintain power but if i slow down to under 30km/h it stall also on sharp turns and when i come to a complete it will stall. it does not happen every time it's very random but those are the most frequent times it will stall, i just put in a new air filter, alternator, starter battery, fuel filter and fuel pump. i was told it might be electrical or possibly the carb? even the distributor.
    It's a 350 5.7L with about 250k on engine and tranny also only when it dies the check gauges, and service engine lights come on, ill wait a few seconds, or even throw it into N and start it right back up again most times it will twice only i had two wait a minute or two but again it starts right up and drives until this happens again.
    Any help or ideas will be much appreciated Thanks
  • vicestatevicestate Posts: 1
    edited August 2010
    I have a 87 GMC 5.7 liter, the motor starts well when it is cold but as soon as I run it for awhile and turn off when I try and re start it the motor acts like its not getting gas. Maybe the throttle body sensor? any suggestions would be greatly apperciated. thanks Vicestate
  • rricrric Posts: 1
    new fuel pump and fuel filter sprayed the throttle body with throttle body cleaner ran fine for 20 miles than died going around a corner after several attemps trying to start it it finally started but sputtered awhile then it ran fine 5 miles home with service engine light on what could be wrong ?
    sounds like a bad throttle position sensor
  • i have a 2001 silverado 1500 4x4 4.3l manual transmission 160k miles. it starts fine and idles fine. now 10-15 mins down the road is another story. i can always tell when its about to stall because of a hard push back when the gas pedal is depressed and a hard let go and rapid drop in rpm when the gas pedal is released, if i put it in neutral the rpms drop to nothing and the engine stalls. when i stay hard push back and let go i mean how it throws me back in my seat when depressed and hard pull forward toward the steering wheel when released. once it stalls and i either start it back up or drop the clutch and basically push start it and give it gas exhaust sounds horrible a re pa pa pa sound vs my normal smooth flowmaster sound. if i dont let it die and keep the truck moving it seems to run rough almost like its misfiring for the next couple of mins. it seems that after it stalls and i start it up, wait 30 seconds or so and rev the motor to about 4.5k it smooths out and will be fine from there. i havent done anything yet to fix this new problem but everyone i ask tells me something different. i did a code scan and got a evap error read and a bank 2 cat error read. i have changed the fuel filter about 8 months ago, replaced the ignition coil about 8 months ago and all plugs and wires 5 months ago.
  • I have a 96 GMC Sierra with a 5.7 engine and when I start it the truck idles rough and dies. This especially happens when in gear. This is the second time that this has happened the first time i cleaned the intake and MAF Sensor and it ran great also added some heat to the fuel tank.

Thanks for your help :sick:
  • I work out of town for 2 weeks at a time. Truck ran fine when I left it in the garage. No one drove it while I was gone. Started fine, went to town and it stalled at a light. It seems to idle fine, especially when first starting, but dies when rpms drop. Drives fine, lights don't go dim, alternator is okay according to gauge. changed battery. No codes or engine lights come on. truck is an 03 sierra 4.8 liter. always garaged and maintained. Seems to die when I slow down and come to a light or whenever I the rev the motor and release, the rpms drop and it stalls, but fires right back up. I do see a slight voltage drop when turning on all lights and heater and radio, but never falls below 14.5. Any help would be appreciated, money is tight as all can attest.
    Sounds like a bad throttle position sensor. I would start there.
  • My truck is doing the exact same thing only when it's cold but today it finally stalled out so i replaced the fuel filter and no luck any one have any suggestions please help!!
  • sounds like carbon build up on your throttle plates. just spray it down and wipe it off
  • OK, I have a problem that I've bounced off of several folks and not gotten a good answer on, so hopefully someone here can help me out. I have a 2000 GMC Sierra, 4.8L V8. The truck starts and runs fine cold or hot. However, if you let it come up to temp, then cool part way down - about an hour - it acts like there is no fuel getting to it. I can't explain why, but if I puch the accellerator to the floor and let it crank for about 5 seconds, it starts, idles rough, then goes on as if nothing happens. This has been a problem for about 6 months. Any suggestions???
  • I have a 2002 5.3 4X4 Sierra with 137,000 miles. Recent work done was crank shaft positioning sensor (fall 2010), cad. convertor, fuel pump, oem gas cap (in Feb 2011). Two codes of P0440 in the past 3 weeks since the fuel pump was replaced. After the truck sits for 8+ hours (at work) it starts fine and idles around 1000 to 800 rpm. Put in gear and it begins to rough idle at 700 to 500 rpm until the throttle is depressed. It seems to run fine but at a slightly higher idle then norm. Once stopped at a intersection it idles down to 5-600 rpm and dips down to 300 then wants to stall out. It does restart right back up with similar symptoms, but once the engine warms up (15 minutes at highway speed) it seems to idle fine and does not want to stall out. Unkown if the fuel filter was cleaned or replaced with the fuel pump installed or if all fuel connections are sealed at installation. I am expecting the P0440 code to come back as it has after 5 days of being cleared. ANY THOUGHTS?
  • That's similar to what mine is doing though I've only replace the throttle position sensor so far. That didn't fix it but the old sensor definitely had too much play in it. Will post an answer if I ever fix it. More frustrating than anything.
    Have you changed or cleaned the idle air controller?
  • jixsteeljixsteel Posts: 1
    Did you ever get this fixed? my Silverado does the exact same thing, runs great if I unplug the MAF, replaced the MAF still same problem. I also replaced map sensor, TPS, cleaned TB and replaced gaskets. thanks