Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Forester Passenger Air Bag Occupancy Sensor

2»

Comments

• I bought a 2008 Subaru Impreza in July. After taking it back to the dealer 3 times they said that the front seat passenger air bag was designed not to activate with less than about 125 pounds on the seat. My wife is 5'4" and between 120 and 130 pounds. She is not petite or child sized. The air bag sometimes is on and sometimes is off. It changes randomly and unpredictably. I have complained to NHTSA (complaint # 10245216), Subaru Customer Service (complaint# 1-112807041) , the dealer, the president of Subaru America (Mr. Kunio Ishigami) and have sent a letter to the President of Fuji Heavy Industries (Mr. Ikuo Mori). I would not have bought the car if I had known it would not be safe. The air bag in the 2009 Forester I tested worked perfectly so I know Subaru can design a safe airbag system. If you consider passenger air bags important for safety, don't buy an Impreza.
  • sildogsildog Posts: 50
    We just realized that our Impreza has the same issue. My wife normally drives the car, but recently, she spent some time in the passenger seat - and the airbag light indicates "off" most of the time. She is 5-4, 110 pounds. Our dealer is planning to "re-program" the system, but I have little hope that this is going to resolve it - unless this involves putting a weight on her seat.

I guess I'll keep you posted.
  • ttutttut Posts: 17
    My 09 Outback has the same problem!!!
  • alphie1alphie1 Posts: 3
    About 24 months back our '06 Forester was problem for us bigtime. Dealer made extraordinary efforts, zone rep got involved, a generous offer was made to trade the car which I refused since the '08 had same system. Ended up trading the '06 for an early '09. After 18 months and about 16,000 miles the '09 has no problem. Interesting to note that '09 owners manual spends a few pages talking about pax air bag arming while the '06 manual gave the subject short shrift. IMHO this is a very unfortunate situation and I am really sorry to hear folks are still having the problem. Good luck, but based on my experience, I doubt Subaru will be willing/able to correct if it is same situation that existed before.
2»
This discussion has been closed.