Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen Beetle Steering and Suspension Problems

Comments

• About $12,900. That also was the unit's sale price, but I was given $1750 for my beat-up '99 Corolla (64,000 miles), so after tax/license/etc. it came to $12,900 out the door.
  • reddroverrreddroverr Posts: 509
    Ooo 64k is a baby for a Toyota. I sold my 1990 Celica a couple years ago with 240k on it..for not much less. I would have bought that car for 1750 in a heart beat.

Oh well, at least it isn't a Hyundae you are trading in, they drop like a rock. But, keep your eyes open..dealers talk nice, but they are in business to make money.. so they probably aren't going to do you any great favors, even if they say they are.
  • That '99 Corolla was trouble from the start. Suspension problems which necessitated a couple repairs within the first few months, for example. Also, The thing required a lot of repairs after 50,000 miles. Call it a lemon. After 6 years I had enough.

If the Echo had still been available, I'd have snapped it up. Which is why I was so interested in the Yaris. I wish I had been more impressed with the test drive. Handling was fine but the brakes didn't feel as good as the Corolla's, or the Xa's, which had terrific handling BTW. And the Yaris, particularly the liftback, didn't ride smoothly enough. I wish I had loved the Yaris, but I just couldn't.
  • spektrespektre Posts: 80
    It must've been in really bad shape, your Corolla. I see 96-98 Prizms selling for $3k minimum with nearly 100k miles... I would've bought that Corolla for $1750 in a heartbeat too. Whaddya wanna bet the dealer turns it around and puts it on their used lot for at least $4k?
  • w9cww9cw Posts: 888
    From experience with quite a number of makes, if you take care of any modern vehicle today, i.e. strict adherance to the regular scheduled maintenance in the Owner's Manual, practically all cars will go 150K without any problems.
  • Actually, I checked. The dealership prides itself on fast turnaround, and since the Corolla needed multiple repairs, new tires, body work, etc. they sold it to another dealer. Trust me, they did me a favor and it helped me bargain down the price of the new car. I recently read on another forum of reports of engine problems in that '99 model, and while I can't confirm the statement's veracity, it only makes me feel better that I unloaded the lemon.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,548
    I drove the Corolla before buying the Scion xA. Basically the idea of ride is subjective. I bought the xA because it has more personality, was a lot more fun to drive, and you can buy more accessories/improvements for it. I have added a rear sway bar, strut brace and sport muffler. Handling is superior to a Corolla if you like to fling a car around a bit.

I don't really notice the higher RPM on the highway. I don't quite understand why this is a big deal for some folks, it's not bad under 80 mph.

On the Corolla's side, you have a bit more power (not much really), lower rpm on the highway, and a rear trunk.

Pricewise, a Corolla equipped comparable to what I bought costs about $700 more than an xA.

I'll test drive a Yaris asap and let you all know what I think...

• iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,682
    for 2006 and I was impressed by it. It is definitely a car to buy for "fun factor". I suspect the 2007 Toyota Yaris hatch and even the sedan will be the same. There's a red base Yaris sedan a mile from my house here sitting at the Toyota dealer screaming out for me to go test drive it tomorrow.

They have several Corolla's, new and used, but I really loathe their general middle-of-the-road looks. So bland they're out of the running with me.

Yeah, I can see the appeal of the xA and wanted one for a while but have my eyes firmly planted on the Yaris sedan because I want 4-doors and I like it's looks. I also like the new 2006 Rio LX and Rio5 from Kia. Great value once again from Kia.

I'll report back here if/actually when I test drive the new Yaris sedan and let ya know what I think of it.

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

• sappysappy Posts: 1
    I drove both yaris's in automatics. The hatchback seems much smaller than the sedan & unfortunatley is only a two door. The only available hatchback models for the near future dont have the 60/40 split and there is a slight, maybye 2, inch bump when seats down. The yaris sedan is a beauty. Very pretty, looks like a smaller Camary, so if you want a fuel effecient sedan, that is it. Only problem is I prefer a hatchback and a manual transmission. So tried the xa, it comes with a lot more features than the yaris for the same price, but 3-4mpg less in gas and is ugly. Not sure what to do, settle for the sedan, which just seems bigger and definatley more chick magnetic or go for the xa. Do dogs mind lying in a sedan? I dont know if getting less car in the yaris hatch is worth the 3.5 mpg. over the xa.. Help me decide. Please!
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,687
    I have been in a similar decision process to yours. For me it ultimately comes down to the looks - I prefer those of the Yaris to the xA. But this means I will be waiting a while for the car I want to be available, as Toyota is building so few hatches.

For your situation, if you need a car soon, you should probably just go for the xA - it is a great value in its own right, they are out there in plentiful supply and lots of colors, and of course they are highly customizable.

Plus, if you are into the Yaris and xA, you should probably take a look at the base Accent and Fit models - they have about the same price and equipment level as the xA. All of a sudden, there are a lot of very decent car choices at the $14K price point!

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• cdoccdoc Posts: 41
    I wanted the Yaris liftback for exactly the same reasons, but saw the xA at the dealership and changed my mind very quickly. I bought one (5-speed) six weeks ago, and I couldn't be happier with it. It has all the bells and whistles, including ABS and 60/40 folding rear seats, and it's very comfortable, even in the backseat for adults. If I had wanted all that in a Yaris it would have cost me the same price, and without the four doors. In terms of fuel efficiency, I understand your concerns. But with only 1500 mi on my xA so far, I haven't fallen below 35 mpg with mixed driving. The only thing I would have wanted different is a weaker 5th gear (or a sixth gear). It's a little whiny above 65 mph, and on long highway trips it can get a little tiring. But that's not what I use it for, so like I said, it was a great buy. Good luck.
  • nagalmannagalman Posts: 3
    I'm trying to figure why the xA gets 38 MPG and the Yaris gets 40 on the highway when they have the same engine (1.5L) and similar weights (xA 2340lbs MT), Yaris (2288lbs MT). I think it probably has something to do with gearing. My question for xA MT owners is: at 60mph in 5th gear are the engine RPMs?
    I think in reality the MPGs will be about the same. I've already broken 38.5 on the xA and I think I could hit 40 under the right conditions.

You're absolutely correct: it is the gearing. In the xA, the engine revs higher. This is unfortunate and, in my view, the only shortcoming of the xA. Also, I think the Yaris MT can get more than 40 mpg (just as the xA MT can get more than 37 mpg) if driven just so.

I saw a Yaris 2-dr in a Home Depot parking lot the other day. Cute as a button, but very small, even smaller than the xA. I'm glad I didn't wait, as was my original plan. I'm enjoying the xA. And the four doors are a big advantage.
    The lower gearing, to my mind, is an advantage, because it gives you better acceleration 0-60 than say the xA automatic, and also allows you to shift less in city driving. High gearing does give you a bit more comfortable cruising speeds but can be a real disadvantage at lower speeds, as you often can't hold 4th gear in city traffic---whereas the xA has no problem with this.

Obviously, this lower gearing was an engineering compromise on the xA MT, but I think it was a good decision for the stickshift driver. Nothing worse than a torque-less small engine in city traffic. This is why the early American subcompacts were so maddening to drive.

Yes, I agree. And I do enjoy driving my xA on winding country roads. I can also see why it would be good for city driving. But it just doesn't feel right on the highway. A compromise would be having a sixth gear. Perhaps the Nissan Versa will start a trend. Then everyone will be happy.
    again, all cars are a compromise. If you had 6 gears, with 6th being an overdrive, you'd have to pay more for it in MSRP, and with 1.5 liters, you'd be downshifting out of 6th on every slight grade.

These types of cars are really perfect urban and inter-urban cars. They aren't good longterm highway cruisers. But for that matter, neither is the next step up, the $20,000 compacts.

Until you start considering cars with V-6s and considerable cabin space, you aren't going to get a really satisfactory highway car, I don't think.

You make a good point. But I think it's a matter of taste. I wouldn't mind paying $500 more and getting a 6th gear which I would use only the the highway.

I disagree that the satisfactory highway cars are those that are larger and more powerful. Our other car is an '05 Saturn Ion (yes, we have an Ion and a Scion), and for a small family this car is wonderful on the highway.

Still, I'm not complaining. I thoroughly enjoy the xA.
    $500 more seems high. if the 6 spd was the standard manual trans., it doesn't seem the cost should be more than an extra hundred or two...if that.
    The engine really doesn't have the power to pull a 6th gear I don't think. It would stress the engine IMO. I'm trying to think if there is ANY 6 speed car with this power to weight ratio. Don't know.

You got me. Logically, I would think it wouldn't be a problem to maintain speed on non-hill surfaces. But, I don't have any hard facts.

I searched around and the nissan versa has a six speed and has

122 hp and weighs 2779 at the most.

How does that compare to your rig?
  • chrisducatichrisducati Posts: 394
    cdoc asked
    "Does anyone know why the Yaris isn't offered as a 5-door (4 door + liftback) here? It's available in Europe and Canada, and probably everywhere else. Could it be so that it doesn't compete with the xA, which is available only in the US?"

I would guess Toyota does not want to cut into xA sales being that the xA is a five door.
    The xA has 105 hp (with the newest method of measuring). Could less than 20 hp make that much of a difference?
    I've heard rumors (are they true?) that the '07 xA will be the 5-door Yaris.
  • jdgriswaldjdgriswald Posts: 11
    One can only hope. I've seen comments on Scionlife from Scion dealers inferring the same thing. Nothing specific, just comments like "you won't recognize the RS 3.0 xA"
    If it's true, I'm all over it like a fat kid on a cookie.
    That's about the same power to weight ratio. I haven't driven the Versa, so I don't know. Also don't know if 6th gear in the Versa is an overdrive or not.

Just priced out a new Yaris with comparable equipment to the xA and it is about $1,700 more in the 4-door sedan version with the same equipment as I got on the xA

So I'm not getting what the Yaris is a better deal than the xA. Same basic engine, same basic amenities...what am I missing here?

• I tested both the xA and the Yaris sedan yesterday. The Yaris had a noticeably smoother ride. Whether that's worth $1700 is your call of course. While the Yaris is new and thus 1st-gen difficulties haven't been reported yet, there have been stories about current xA's having clutch and charcoal cannister problems. Cruise around these boards and toyotanation.com for varied opinions.
    I thought the Yaris has been available in other countries for at least one year in its present form, and many years before that as what we knew as the Echo. Also, the engine hasn't changed. So I don't know what difficulties might arise.

The major difference between the xA and the Yaris is more luggage space (for the Yaris sedan), the cute factor and lower price (base model liftback), and slightly economy on gas (weaker 5th speed). But I agree: is it worth the extra money for comparable equipped cars?
    Well at this point all I can say is that I don't see any significant difference between the two, aside from perhaps a trunk space and one's subjective view of aesthetics pro or con.

• iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,682
    the xA I have test drove but not the Yaris sedan. It is basically aesthetics that would have me place the Yaris sedan slightly above the Scion xA for "gotta have-itis."

The 2007 Scion xA has been rumoured to be the same as the 2007 Toyota Yaris 5-door liftback. That, especially but not limited to the Scion xA RS 3.0, will be a rig I have to see and test drive!

Having said that, I sure liked the 2006 Scion xA test drive and one could always just slap some nice wheels on one to get most of the RS effect, eh?

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS